SHREK Understudies

Mactor327
#1SHREK Understudies
Posted: 12/28/08 at 11:39am

Have any understudies gone on yet for SHREK?
What are the odds of one going on in the near(2 week)future?

Sondheim_Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim_Geek
#2re: SHREK Understudies
Posted: 12/28/08 at 5:33pm

"an" understudy?

Probably high. It's winter and people get sick and/or call out. I wouldn't be surprised to see a swing of two on in the next few weeks. As far as a lead or high supporting character (Brian, Sutton, Daniel, or Christopher), probably significantly less.

shiz_student94
#2re: SHREK Understudies
Posted: 12/28/08 at 5:39pm

As of this past week, everyone was in and well.
You could very well see ensemble and fairy tale creatures out with their swings, etc. in. As far as the leads go, I can't speculate anything. You never know!

"Sing 'till you're breaking glass or you're breaking down"

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#3re: SHREK Understudies
Posted: 12/28/08 at 7:03pm

""an" understudy? "

They didn't make a mistake...

WishingOnlyWounds2
#4re: SHREK Understudies
Posted: 12/28/08 at 7:06pm

I want to see Sutton, but I'm very curious to see how Haven Burton would be as Fiona. Amazing, I'm sure.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

Drunk Chita Rivera Profile Photo
Drunk Chita Rivera
#5re: SHREK Understudies
Posted: 12/28/08 at 7:10pm

Haven would be amazing, probably the only way I would ever go back to Shrek.

TimeSquare3 Profile Photo
TimeSquare3
#6re: SHREK Understudies
Posted: 12/28/08 at 7:10pm

Sarah Jane Everman went on as Fiona in Seattle.

<<-- Help save Terminator: SCC
"The gay one?" -- Marissa Jaret Winokur on the Jonas Brothers.

Sondheim_Geek Profile Photo
Sondheim_Geek
#7re: SHREK Understudies
Posted: 12/28/08 at 8:26pm

Chita: I was referring to "an" being any substitution, such as a member of the ensemble or a swing, not only an understudy in the traditional sense for a leading or supporting actor.

kingtito133
#8re: SHREK Understudies
Posted: 12/30/08 at 2:08am

Last night Dec. 29, Denny Paschall went on in the Pinocchino track.

B3TA07 Profile Photo
B3TA07
#9re: SHREK Understudies
Posted: 12/30/08 at 3:00am

"Sarah Jane Everman went on as Fiona in Seattle."

I know, and the guy who audioed it won't release it! =(

-Benjamin
--http://www.benjaminadgate.com/

Elke Profile Photo
Elke
#10re: SHREK Understudies
Posted: 12/30/08 at 3:08am

Haven Burton was out when I saw the show a few weeks ago. Her track was covered by two ensemble members (Justin Greer and a female performer, I believe it was Heather Jane Rolff).

Tevye the Dairyman Profile Photo
Tevye the Dairyman
#11re: SHREK Understudies
Posted: 12/30/08 at 10:19am

I'd be very interested to see ben crawford go on for shrek. i remembering seeing him in the les miz revival and i recall him having a very classical baritone/bass voice (i was very surpised to see he was understudy for Javert AND Valjean). its just such a different voice quality than that of brian d'arcy james...

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#12re: SHREK Understudies
Posted: 12/31/08 at 12:13am

Tonight the roles usually played by Haven Burton were played by Heather Jane Rolff.

PiraguaGuy2
#13re: SHREK Understudies
Posted: 12/31/08 at 8:26am

Uh oh - I hope Haven's okay. She's one of the reasons I want to see this show so bad. I'd kill to see her Fiona.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

FinalDestination Profile Photo
FinalDestination
#14re: SHREK Understudies
Posted: 12/31/08 at 4:21pm

I'd give up my first born to see Haven as a tree in the background, let alone Fiona. That girl is all kinds of amazing

"That's a good point. Next time I pee on a Starbucks couch and throw straws and napkins at a barista, I'll just yell, "YOU DON'T KNOW ME OUTSIDE OF STARBUCKS! YOU DON'T KNOW ME AT ALL!" and that should do it. "-LizzieCurry

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#15re: SHREK Understudies
Posted: 12/31/08 at 4:33pm

Uh oh - I hope Haven's okay. She's one of the reasons I want to see this show so bad. I'd kill to see her Fiona.

I actually thought that I saw Haven at the stage door post show last night, she was possibly just swung out to watch the show or something. Rolff's Gingy was totally adorable.

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#16re: SHREK Understudies
Posted: 12/31/08 at 4:38pm

I love Sutton, but I'd kill to see Haven as Fiona.
She's terrific as Gingy too. Her Gingy voice is perfection.

Does Haven also play one of the "dragon ladies" as I call them (i.e. one of the 3 main women singing for the dragon)? I could've sworn one of them looked and sounded like her, but I want to be sure.

PiraguaGuy2
#17re: SHREK Understudies
Posted: 12/31/08 at 5:42pm

Yeah, anyone know who the "dragon ladies" on Broadway are?
Besides Liza, of course.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#18re: SHREK Understudies
Posted: 12/31/08 at 5:42pm

So Haven is Fiona's understudy? Who are the other ones?

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

Anakela Profile Photo
Anakela
#19re: SHREK Understudies
Posted: 12/31/08 at 5:54pm

So Haven is Fiona's understudy? Who are the other ones?

Sarah Jane Everman.

Haven's also apparently the u/s for Teen Fiona, which is actually what I would love to see.

PiraguaGuy2
#20re: SHREK Understudies
Posted: 12/31/08 at 6:10pm

So is Everman.

BTW, for any future questions:
http://ibdb.com/production.php?id=477427

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#21re: SHREK Understudies
Posted: 12/31/08 at 6:17pm

why are the young fionas also young shrek understudies??..

wicked_beast4 Profile Photo
wicked_beast4
#22re: SHREK Understudies
Posted: 12/31/08 at 6:20pm

Because all Young Shrek does is walk around the stage, so under the makeup, you can't tell if it's a girl or boy?

"He found something that he wanted, had always wanted and always would want— not to be admired, as he had feared; not to be loved, as he had made himself believe; but to be necessary to people, to be indispensable." -F. Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise

TommyC78
#23re: SHREK Understudies
Posted: 12/31/08 at 6:29pm

Haven's Elle Woods surprised me. I wasn't expecting much. I really never cared for her Margot, but her Elle was wonderful. Her voice was in top form. Cannot wait to see her Fiona!

NJgirl
#24re: SHREK Understudies
Posted: 1/4/09 at 12:06pm

Ryan Duncan went on as Donkey at the 8pm show last night. Never having seen the show or Daniel's performance, I thought he did a fantastic job.