Kerry Butler
Christine Ebersole

Just to name a few...

Madcap Maisie Profile Photo
Madcap Maisie
#27re: The Best Female Voice on Broadway
Posted: 2/2/09 at 4:22pm

Kristin Chenoweth and Sutton...

Those sound like such cop out answers, but I really think that they deserve all of the hype they get.

"You know what really makes me mad? When girls think they can sing just because they are on the Disney Channel."

J'aime GG Profile Photo
J'aime GG
#28re: The Best Female Voice on Broadway
Posted: 2/2/09 at 4:36pm

Elaine Stritch. With the right makeup and lighting she'd make a killer replacement Nellie Forbush.

The White Half-Mask Profile Photo
The White Half-Mask
#29re: The Best Female Voice on Broadway
Posted: 2/2/09 at 5:34pm

This is a really tough decision, but I think I'm gonna go with Sutton Foster.

fizzthelibertine
#30re: The Best Female Voice on Broadway
Posted: 2/2/09 at 5:39pm

Audra McDonald, by far.

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#31re: The Best Female Voice on Broadway
Posted: 2/2/09 at 5:40pm

She really is exquisite. re: The Best Female Voice on Broadway

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

Soprano91 Profile Photo
Soprano91
#32re: The Best Female Voice on Broadway
Posted: 2/2/09 at 5:45pm

YES! I was surprised that Audra hadn't gotten more mentions up until this point. She has the most gorgeous voice I've ever heard on a woman.

"Who else would teach my son how to catch a football ball?" - Dr. Niles Crane

michelle3 Profile Photo
michelle3
#33re: The Best Female Voice on Broadway
Posted: 2/2/09 at 5:46pm

I say Audra and Sutton ftw!

Current Avatar - Sutton Foster, accepting the Tony Award for Best Performance by a Velociraptor.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#34re: The Best Female Voice on Broadway
Posted: 2/2/09 at 5:56pm

Not that she is "on Broadway" but Bernadette Peters.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#35re: The Best Female Voice on Broadway
Posted: 2/2/09 at 5:57pm

Currently on Broadway? Kelli O'Hara and Sutton Foster.

Off_at_a_Canter
#36re: The Best Female Voice on Broadway
Posted: 2/2/09 at 8:27pm

SJB followed by Sutton.

Sherrie? Really? Her Ursula's ok... but her Cathy and Amneris? *Cringe* Which stinks b/c TL5Y is such a good show.

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#37re: The Best Female Voice on Broadway
Posted: 2/2/09 at 9:13pm

I have to add that, based solely on the Music in the Air videos, I'm impressed with Sierra Boggess' voice. I don't know if I'd say she had the best voice on Broadway, but it's certainly a lovely voice.

for women not currently on Broadway, some of my favorites are Patti (shocker!), Victoria Clark, Laura Benanti, Donna Murphy (I've always likened her voice to a clarinet or an oboe, especially on the Passion OBC) and, tbh, Alison Fraser. I think because I've been on a Secret Garden kick for a while, but I love how unique her voice is. in a similar vein, I like Kerry Butler's voice an awful lot, too.

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
Updated On: 2/2/09 at 09:13 PM

musicaltheater1 Profile Photo
musicaltheater1
#38re: The Best Female Voice on Broadway
Posted: 2/2/09 at 9:18pm

The best female voice for me on Broadway is Lea Salonga.

"I love acting. It is so much more real than life." Oscar Wilde
"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Huxley

caitlinette Profile Photo
caitlinette
#39re: The Best Female Voice on Broadway
Posted: 2/2/09 at 10:35pm

Sierra Boggess...and definitely Audra.

elphabelle07 Profile Photo
elphabelle07
#40re: The Best Female Voice on Broadway
Posted: 2/2/09 at 10:44pm

Laura Benanti, Bernadette Peters, Sutton Foster, Audra McDonald, Lea Salonga, and Kelli O'Hara.
Gah...their names just sound like singer's names!

"I'm a bagel on a plate full of onion rolls!"-Funny Girl

Bwayfan39
#41re: The Best Female Voice on Broadway
Posted: 2/3/09 at 10:48am

"Sherrie? Really? Her Ursula's ok... but her Cathy and Amneris? *Cringe* Which stinks b/c TL5Y is such a good show."

I, for one, thought she sounded fabulous as Cathy and Amneris. I did not LOVE her Ursula-but her voice was truthfully the only thing I enjoyed about that show. And in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels she was absolutly phenominal-and don't even get me started on her One Woman Show. I could listen to her sing for days-

TheaterBaby Profile Photo
TheaterBaby
#42re: The Best Female Voice on Broadway
Posted: 2/3/09 at 10:56am

Of all currently alive female Broadway performers: Christine Ebersole, without a doubt. Her singing voice is pitch-perfect and flawless.

Currently performing on Broadway: I'll give it to Sutton Foster. The girl can certainly belt (I would have said Sherie had she not just finished her run in The Little Mermaid).
And Kristin Chenoweth if we're going to count City Center as being on Broadway.

"It's the little things; the details, that distinguish the Barbra Streisands from the Rosalyn Kinds."~Gilmore Girls~
Updated On: 2/3/09 at 10:56 AM

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#43re: The Best Female Voice on Broadway
Posted: 2/3/09 at 11:07am

"I have to add that, based solely on the Music in the Air videos, I'm impressed with Sierra Boggess' voice. I don't know if I'd say she had the best voice on Broadway, but it's certainly a lovely voice."

I agree. I love everything about Sierra's voice. She has a gorgeous soprano as well as a great belt. Just listening to her talk is a treat for me, I just love the way her voice sounds.

softershade Profile Photo
softershade
#44re: The Best Female Voice on Broadway
Posted: 2/3/09 at 11:39am

Audra McDonald, Victoria Clark, Christine Ebersole, and Sara Ramirez are my picks.

jasonf Profile Photo
jasonf
#45re: The Best Female Voice on Broadway
Posted: 2/3/09 at 12:26pm

If we're going to look old school: Barbara Cook and Barbara Harris take it for me.

I also LOVE Ruthie Henshall's voice - I know she hasn't done much on Broadway, but I saw her in Putting it Together so she counts.

Hi, Shirley Temple Pudding.

inlovewithjerryherman Profile Photo
inlovewithjerryherman
#46re: The Best Female Voice on Broadway
Posted: 2/3/09 at 7:54pm

Old school legit: Barbara Cook
New school legit (and my favorite): Audra McDonald
Old school mixer: Liz Callaway
New school mixer: Natalie Weiss
Old school belter: Ethel Merman
New school belter: Patti LuPone

augustine73 Profile Photo
augustine73
#47re: The Best Female Voice on Broadway
Posted: 2/3/09 at 8:13pm

lea salonga

djb Profile Photo
djb
#48re: The Best Female Voice on Broadway
Posted: 2/3/09 at 8:20pm

PATTI, of course.
It's a part of her persona; it commands everyone's attention whether you like it or not.

Very, verrry close second is Christine Ebersole. I forget how talented she is sometimes, and then I will hear something from "Grey Gardens" and go, "Yeah, that's a star."

dg22894
#49re: The Best Female Voice on Broadway
Posted: 2/3/09 at 8:26pm

Heidi is also on my list