pixeltracker

What are your favorite places to eat in the city?- Page 2

What are your favorite places to eat in the city?

Elke Profile Photo
Elke
#25re: What are your favorite places to eat in the city?
Posted: 2/8/09 at 12:04pm

Olive Garden and Bubba Gump!

Ha, just kidding... I like Rachel's (dinner) and Amy's Bread (desserts) on 9th Avenue, Ollie's (Chinese) and Lombardi's (pizza). Whenever I visit the city, I also need a rice pudding fix from Rice To Riches.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#26re: What are your favorite places to eat in the city?
Posted: 2/8/09 at 12:28pm

The uptown Ruby Foo's closed recently

Ruby Foo's in Times Square is great and their Won Ton soup is out of this world.

Poster Emeritus

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#27re: What are your favorite places to eat in the city?
Posted: 2/8/09 at 1:47pm

Although they have already been mentioned, I would just like to repeat two choices with some details:
Joe Allen's on Restaurant Row (46th St.) has delicious American food at reasonable prices. I like their calves liver with real mashed potatoes and spinich, and for dessert their rich brownie with ice cream and hot fudge sauce. Reservations a week in advance are a must, if eating before or after a show.

The Carnegie Deli at 7th Avenue and 55th Street, but only if you are really hungry; their portions are huge. They have the best corned beef and matzoh ball soup in the City. Also, they don't take credit cards. Sandwiches are about $10.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

lakezurich Profile Photo
lakezurich
#28re: What are your favorite places to eat in the city?
Posted: 2/8/09 at 2:00pm

MY friend and I took a trip to NYC last spring and before we went I was watching the Travel Channel and they had a show on about Burger Joints in NYC and they did a segment on Pop Burger, and we decided to go. And I must say they have the BEST burgers I have ever had. And it was fairly inexpensive. And their chocolate milkshakes were great as well.

Rant, Wickud, Rant, Wickud, Rant! We're not gonna pay Rant! 'Cause everythink is Wickud!

"Leave Walt Disney Theatricals new sparkling production of The Little Mermaid on Broadway alone!!!"

lakezurich will be played by Paul Groves in the BWW musical

ifuweregay93
#29re: What are your favorite places to eat in the city?
Posted: 2/8/09 at 3:39pm

The dumpster behind The Shuburt.

TheCharleston Profile Photo
TheCharleston
#30re: What are your favorite places to eat in the city?
Posted: 2/8/09 at 3:42pm

The Dumpster Behind The Shubert

Appetizer: Bryan/Theatre2

Entree: Celera

Dessert: Winston

Owned and Operated by IfUWereGay/SpellingBee

EugLoven Profile Photo
EugLoven
#31re: What are your favorite places to eat in the city?
Posted: 2/8/09 at 4:00pm

I echo Calvin: "Get thee out of Midtown!"

SHILLA: Korea Town (32nd & Bway)
Fun hot platters (made at your table), stews & entrees, plus delicious appetizers (w/every meal), entertaining cocktails

BENNY'S BURRITOS: West Village (Greenwich & 13th)
Great big dishes and eclectic decor, fast service, warm and popular

TIO PEPE: Village (W 4th & Jones)
At-table made guacamole, big and great neighborhood, reasonable prices and plenty of bars in vicinity

JOHNNY UTAH'S: Midtown East (51st & 6th)
For the heterosexual in all of us, finger-lickin' foods and ride the bull! Cheap drinks

RUB BBQ: Chelsea (23rd & 7th Ave)
Filling and authentic with tons of sauces and meats. Hushpuppies and huge ribs! If you're looking for similar (but not equal) food for cheaper, try the Recession Special ($9.99 for 2 meals) at DALLAS BBQ

YUM YUM BANGKOK III: Midtown (9th Ave & 44th)
Very big and great prix-fix dinner menu, like 5 courses

REPUBLIC: Union Square (E 17th)
Huge noodle platters, spacious and efficient wait-staff (in spite of recent staff strike)

EXTRA VIRGIN: West Village (W 4th & Perry)
Very quaint, small menu but refreshing and organic, great to eat on sidewalk patio during good weather
Updated On: 2/8/09 at 04:00 PM

TheatreFreak05 Profile Photo
TheatreFreak05
#32re: What are your favorite places to eat in the city?
Posted: 2/8/09 at 4:18pm

Serendipity 3-

225 East 60th Street
between 2nd and 3rd Avenues
New York, NY 10022

I've only been there for dessert, but it is amazing! Everything is huge, so me and 3 friends split three desserts:

Strawberry-banana and chocolate crepes (which were so delicious!), a hot fudge sundae (served in a goblet that was literally overflowing with chocolate sauce), and "Frozen Hot Chocolate" (it sounds weird, but it is to die for!)

It is a great place to go for a dessert after seeing a show!

#33re: What are your favorite places to eat in the city?
Posted: 2/8/09 at 4:25pm

TheaterFreak, I was JUST about to add Serendipity 3. they have many different deserts, and some of the sundaes are named after Broadway shows, mostly ones that are currently running. we had lunch there PLUS the Spring Awakening sundae (I assume they no longer serve it, seeing as the show is no longer running...). the portions are enormous & the atmosphere is a little cramped, but so fun. and there are lots of interesting little tchochkes to play with near the front of the house.

TheatreFreak05 Profile Photo
TheatreFreak05
#34re: What are your favorite places to eat in the city?
Posted: 2/8/09 at 6:24pm

Also, they have a Forbidden Broadway Sundae which is ice cream scooped over a chocolate blackout cake.

Not_the_cool_table Profile Photo
Not_the_cool_table
#35re: What are your favorite places to eat in the city?
Posted: 2/8/09 at 7:35pm

They also have a "Rock Of Ages" Root Beer Float that sounds crazy. I think they put Pop Rocks in it.

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#36re: What are your favorite places to eat in the city?
Posted: 2/8/09 at 7:40pm

For Saturday or Sunday brunch, Bone Lick Park in the Village.

For Italian, Piccolo Angolo in the Meat Packing District/West Village

My dad is infatuated with the Playwright Tavern. We ate there because we were cold and starving the first time they came up to visit, and he always wants to go back. It's actually pretty good ~ especially their French Onion Soup.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

ashley0139
#37re: What are your favorite places to eat in the city?
Posted: 2/8/09 at 7:41pm

It's funny - I live in the city and almost never eat out at real restaurants. This thread is making me want to try new places. Chipotle and Chinese places are my staples.

Although, Kodama is definitely the place to go for sushi. My favorite. I will drink the ginger dressing on the house salad, it is soooo good.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife
Updated On: 2/8/09 at 07:41 PM

Dollypop
#38re: What are your favorite places to eat in the city?
Posted: 2/8/09 at 7:45pm

First off, REAL New Yorkers don't post messages like this. Instead, they check Corine's Corner. There are excellent restaurant suggestions, but only if you like sushi and the mercury problems associated with it.

Seondly, there's an absolutely AMAZING McDonals's on 42nd Street. It's really becoming the place to be seen!

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

heo1128
#39re: What are your favorite places to eat in the city?
Posted: 2/8/09 at 7:58pm

Has anyone been to Peter Luger's steakhouse in Brooklyn?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#40re: What are your favorite places to eat in the city?
Posted: 2/8/09 at 8:12pm

The Spice Market on 13th is incredible. The atmosphere, the food.. to die for. The appetizers and the desserts, however, are the kings of the menu. The entrees just seem beside the point. Whenever I go, I just order appetizers.

Also, they have a marvelous raspberry & lychee Bellini.

For quick stuff, I like Vanessa's Dumplings on 14th, near Union Square. Their fried dumplings are delicious, and their steamed buns are cheap and a good snack.

For midtown places:
Bobby Flay's Bar Americain is quite nice. Great modernist decor.
Marseilles and Pigalle (which I often confuse, due to their similarities... and the fact they're owned by the same people) are both great

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#41re: What are your favorite places to eat in the city?
Posted: 2/8/09 at 8:55pm

I have to add love to

Burger Joint
Two Boots
Ollies (best Chinese I've ever had period)

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

PiraguaGuy2
#42re: What are your favorite places to eat in the city?
Posted: 2/8/09 at 9:02pm

SHAKE. SHACK.

re: What are your favorite places to eat in the city?

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

MrSweetNAwful Profile Photo
MrSweetNAwful
#43re: What are your favorite places to eat in the city?
Posted: 2/8/09 at 9:06pm

Oh and Shake Shack! How could I forget!?

You're reminding me of people you hear at the movies asking questions every ten seconds, "Who is that? Why is that guy walking down the street? Who's that lady coming up to him? Uh-oh, why did that car go by? Why is it so dark in this theater?" - FindingNamo on strummergirl

"If artists were machines, then I'm just a different kind of machine...I'd probably be a toaster. Actually, I'd be a toaster oven because they're more versatile. And I like making grilled cheese" -Regina Spektor

"That's, like, twelve shows! ...Or seven." -Crazy SA Fangirl

"They say that just being relaxed is the most important thing [in acting]. I take that to another level, I think kinda like yawning and...like being partially asleep onstage is also good, but whatever." - Sherie Rene Scott

PiraguaGuy2
#44re: What are your favorite places to eat in the city?
Posted: 2/8/09 at 9:07pm

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - you will not find a better hamburger in all of the Northeast.

I have a major foodgasm every time I think about it.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08
Updated On: 2/8/09 at 09:07 PM

ashley0139
#45re: What are your favorite places to eat in the city?
Posted: 2/8/09 at 9:47pm

The one thing I don't understand is everyone saying Ollie's. In New York City, the king of Chinese restaurants from hole in the wall to upscale, everyone here likes the overpriced, overrated chain of Ollie's? I've been there several times and every time I am underwhelmed. There are a million great Chinese places in the city and Ollie's is definitely not at the top of my list.

"This table, he is over one hundred years old. If I could, I would take an old gramophone needle and run it along the surface of the wood. To hear the music of the voices. All that was said." - Doug Wright, I Am My Own Wife

sabrelady Profile Photo
sabrelady
#46re: What are your favorite places to eat in the city?
Posted: 2/8/09 at 10:16pm

SO agree about Amy's Bread. This time I'm going to try to freeze some stuff to bring back to TO to have the next week and share w some valued amis. (maybe!)

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#47re: What are your favorite places to eat in the city?
Posted: 2/8/09 at 11:51pm

Ashley,you're so right about Ollie's. Their food is no better than any chinese restaurant on any street in the city, maybe not even as good. I only went there if I had no reservations anywhere else. You could always get right into Ollies.

You want really good Chinese food, just go to Chinatown.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Calvin Profile Photo
Calvin
#48re: What are your favorite places to eat in the city?
Posted: 2/8/09 at 11:57pm

I haven't been to Serendipity 3 since this unpleasantness.
Link

broadwaygirl99 Profile Photo
broadwaygirl99
#49re: What are your favorite places to eat in the city?
Posted: 2/9/09 at 12:07am

I second Ruby Foo's! I just went there the other day before I saw Billy Elliot and the Ruby Foo's Stir Fry was soooo good and the atmosphere was so beautiful.

I also really like Scarlatto. It is on 47th St next to the Brooks Atkinson theater, the food is delicious and the restaurant itself is beautiful.

Juniors is also a great place to go cause it is so New York, the restaurant is like a 50's diner and I love that about it.