pixeltracker

Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)

Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)

jcdenton08
#1Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)
Posted: 2/9/09 at 11:41am

Hi,

I am a first time visitor to Broadway from the UK, visiting with my partner for 5 days.

Further to my other posts, some other questions have arisen. I know these must seem terribly simplistic to those experienced theatregoers, but it seems the ticket situation on Broadway is *completely* different to the West End and the rest of Europe, and I would really appreciate some honest, simple answers to a few questions, if at all possible? Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)

1) Can somebody please explain to me what "Student Rush" is, who is entitled to it (e.g. under a certain age, or with what specific ID - is it for U.S residents only?) - and attached to this, which shows offer "Student Rush"?

2) When I booked two top price Orchestra seats for TLM and Phantom from Ticketmaster last October, for my upcoming visit to New York this week, I did so believing that they are two of the top selling shows, and therefore would not be at TKTS. Am I right in now thinking I could've saved myself $230+ by waiting until on the day, or is it better to have seats guaranteed for these two shows?

I've also booked second row just off centre for Wicked - does that usually sell out through the week, and are they good seats?

3) The above "Student Rush" and "lottery" tickets, do they only apply to top price orchestra seats, or could they be anywhere in the house? What is the usual discount, and which shows do/don't participate?

4) I have three shows booked with room for one more on the Saturday night we arrive (we haven't booked in advance in case of delays) - what is the best show I am likely to get from TKTS, based on past experience - and what would folks recommend to see? If nothing at TKTS, which is the best deal at the box office? I am wary of getting ripped off..

I'd really appreciate any advice - have I gotten a raw deal so far?

JenNYferTheatrical Profile Photo
JenNYferTheatrical
#2re: Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)
Posted: 2/9/09 at 12:06pm

1) The rush policies vary by theater. They generally honor college IDs for all full time students, and most aren't fussy for people who look under 18. There's a list of policies here: http://www.playbill.com/celebritybuzz/article/82428.html

2) You can see which shows were on TKTS for the previous week here: http://www.tdf.org/TDF_SupportPage.aspx?id=68&do=v
It looks like both Phantom and Mermaid were there last week, and October isn't generally one of the busier months, but if you were sold on seeing those shows, the extra price you're paying is for the guarantee that your tickets will be there.
Second row off center are great tickets for Wicked and that show normally does sell out. The only issue will be hearing the people in front of you gossip about their $25 lottery seats.

3) Student rush tickets are generally either in the front row, side orchestra or rear mezzanine. Some theaters will just sell you their remaining tickets. Lotteries are generally for the front row of seats.

4) See the list of shows at 2. I would recommend trying a lottery at 2 hours before, then heading over to TKTS if you lose, since theaters often release the better seats closer to show time.

Have fun in NY!

LotteTBS138 Profile Photo
LotteTBS138
#2re: Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)
Posted: 2/9/09 at 12:07pm

>>1) Can somebody please explain to me what "Student Rush" is, who is entitled to it (e.g. under a certain age, or with what specific ID - is it for U.S residents only?) - and attached to this, which shows offer "Student Rush"? <<

I think 99% of them are for actual students. I know what you mean because at times places (like museums, parks, etc.) will place a student AND age limit. I bought a ticket for Gypsy and wasn't even carded (I'm 30 but sometimes still get carded for drinks) and I'm a grad student.

As far as where Student and Lottery tickets are vary by the show itself. My ticket for Gypsy was in the orchestra level off to the side while the ticket for Spring Awakening was 3rd row orchestra, far left corner (obstructed view and annoying teenagers behind me so I moved at the interval). For Rent, I know they had the first 2 rows of the orchestra specifically for the lottery.

As far as TKTS, if you go to their website, www.tdf.org you can follow the links and see what shows were sold at the booth the previous week and that will give you a general idea of what might be available.

I once heard someone describe her (Ruthie Henshall) singing as sounding as though she's trying to swallow a whole meatball slightly larger than her windpipe. (The same person compared Michael Ball's singing to sounding as though he's sitting on a washing machine on spin cycle and Colm Wilkinson's to a man with a paralyzed lip trying to eat cottage cheese.) --- Schmerg_The_Impaler

jcdenton08
#3re: Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)
Posted: 2/9/09 at 12:19pm

Thank you both re: Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)

I have a few more questions..

5) Are seats at TKTS sold front to back as in London?

6) How long has Little Mermaid been at TKTS since opening? I was (somehow) under the impression it was doing as good business as the likes of Wicked and Jersey Boys!

Will the theatre be anywhere near full on Sunday?

I was thinking if some of the front of the stalls are empty if I should try and ask for an upgrade closer, or sneak forward at the interval?

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#4re: Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)
Posted: 2/9/09 at 12:28pm

5. The tickets at TKTS are based on what the house releases. Luck of the draw. And sometimes there are actually better seats just before curtain. All depends.

6. Virtually since the reviews came out. TLM is NOT the huge seller everyone assumes. When you see it, you'll see why. Definitely nowhere near Wicked, The Lion King, or Jersey Boys proportions.

It is a holiday weekend, so things might be more full than usual...but who knows.

Typically you don't ask for an upgrade here. At intermission, if you are positive there are empty seats and you want to try moving, go for it if you choose. I HAVE actually encountered people who show up with legit tickets who missed act 1 but are going to see act 2, so there is never a guarantee that it's empty.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

givesmevoice Profile Photo
givesmevoice
#5re: Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)
Posted: 2/9/09 at 12:31pm

I would also add that there are three TKTS booths: one in Times Square (the big red steps), one at the South Street Seaport, and one in Brooklyn. the one in Times Square sells only day-of tickets, while the other two sell day of tickets in addition to matinees for the following day. (so, on a Tuesday, you could go to South Street Seaport and buy tickets to a production that night and/or tickets to the Wednesday matinee).

http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56
^ details about the locations and getting to them.

(I hope I didn't just make everything more confusing for you!)

When I see the phrase "the ____ estate", I imagine a vast mansion in the country full of monocled men and high-collared women receiving letters about productions across the country and doing spit-takes at whatever they contain. -Kad
Updated On: 2/9/09 at 12:31 PM

LotteTBS138
#6re: Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)
Posted: 2/9/09 at 12:48pm

Also, a good way to tell (now, I do this because I HAVE to for a course I'm taking) but check out the Broadway grosses chart on Playbill to see which shows are selling out and which are not. They also tell you there which show were not being sold at the TKTS booth to give you a better idea which are the hot tickets.

http://www.playbill.com/features/section/7.html

And just like givesmevoice stated, if you are going to see a matinee performance, I say go to the Southport or Brooklyn booths to get your tickets a day early.

I once heard someone describe her (Ruthie Henshall) singing as sounding as though she's trying to swallow a whole meatball slightly larger than her windpipe. (The same person compared Michael Ball's singing to sounding as though he's sitting on a washing machine on spin cycle and Colm Wilkinson's to a man with a paralyzed lip trying to eat cottage cheese.) --- Schmerg_The_Impaler

jcdenton08
#7re: Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)
Posted: 2/9/09 at 12:56pm

Thank you everyone once again for such helpful, positive responses :)

I just remember we actually got Phantom at half-price using a ticket offer so I don't feel so bad now.. Wicked it seems I actually got very good seats - albeit at the full price.

It's only TLM which I've been stung with.. I just need to find a way to try and fix it. Any ideas?

jordangirl Profile Photo
jordangirl
#8re: Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)
Posted: 2/9/09 at 1:01pm

Sadly, once you've bought the ticket at the price you did, you bought that ticket. That's what non-refundable means. And every discount I've seen states that it is not applicable to previously purchased tickets.

Experience live theater. Experience paintings. Experience books. Live, look and listen like artists! ~ imaginethis
LIVE THAT LESSON!!!!!!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#9re: Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)
Posted: 2/9/09 at 1:38pm

If you are running late on Saturday and want to see a show, you may try going online and getting a discount seat for something if you can't make it up to TKTS. I did that with an off-Broadway show last year. I was actually there and realized I had time to see a show so I jumped online and ordered a ticket for an evening show the morning of the show. I usually use Theatermania's discount site. I am not sure what time they cut off sales for day of.

Just give the world Love.

karen24 Profile Photo
karen24
#10re: Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)
Posted: 2/9/09 at 1:41pm

You may already know about this, but there are also discount ticket codes available through broadwaybox.com and playbill.com. I have found that the price I pay for tickets at these sites can be comparable to what I pay at TKTS--the discount is usually 50-65% off full price. I like using these sites because you can get your tickets in advance and you are able to look at seating charts at your leisure and figure out if you like the seats being offered. If you really want to see a show and don't want to gamble on getting student rush/lottery/TKTS, that might be another option for you.
If you'd like to see a play in addition to your three musicals, "The 39 Steps" is a lot of fun. Broadwaybox has tickets from $49-$65 (regularly $111.50).

Maggie-the-schnoodle

jcdenton08
#11re: Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)
Posted: 2/9/09 at 2:16pm

Thanks for the tips.

I took your advice and checked out those websites, theatremania, broadwaybox and playbill.com - I've seen the 39 steps in London so I'll pass on that. I've pretty much decided on Shrek but they are only offering Row Y (very back row) in the very left hand side seats for $80.00 each plus $18 booking fees.. think I'll try TKTS instead!

LotteTBS138
#12re: Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)
Posted: 2/9/09 at 4:38pm

save your money on the big green flop!

viola13
#13re: Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)
Posted: 2/9/09 at 4:52pm

If you really want to see Shrek, I would try the lottery or student rush (if you're a student). My friend did student rush one night and got second or third row in the mezz for $36.50.

A play I would recommend is Speed-the-Plow, it's such an amazing cast, and there are plenty of ways to get discount tickets.

n2005 Profile Photo
n2005
#14re: Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)
Posted: 2/9/09 at 5:42pm

Do they accept UK student id's at any of the theatres though I wonder?

KirbyCat
#15re: Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)
Posted: 2/9/09 at 9:00pm

Didn't want to start another thread, but do shows accept high school ID's?
If so, which ones?
Thanks!

rich.hanson59
#16re: Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)
Posted: 2/9/09 at 9:55pm

I'm not completely positive but I think that The Little Mermaid is the only show woth student rush that doesn't accept high school ids.

KirbyCat
#17re: Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)
Posted: 2/9/09 at 9:58pm

Ok, great! Thank you! I doubt they accept Middle School (6th--8th graders) ID's do they? Because I would love to take my younger sister to a show...

viola13
#18re: Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)
Posted: 2/9/09 at 10:46pm

I'm pretty sure most theaters accept international ids, a friend used her Norwegian school id (in Norwegian, it really could have been anything) at a couple theaters and never ran into problems.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#19re: Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)
Posted: 2/9/09 at 10:48pm

Most shows except all IDs, except The Little Mermaid.

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#20re: Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)
Posted: 2/10/09 at 3:33am

Another play I HIGHLY reccommend would be to see August:Osage County. THis would probably be available at TKTS.

Can I ask WHY you are so determined to see the shows that are "selling out"? That doesn't mean that the show that AREN'T aren't any good. Just because they are popular doesn't make them extraordinary, either. Be adventuresome and try something that will either BECOME the next big hit or you might not have the opportunity to see again!

Have a great visit!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

LotteTBS138
#21re: Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)
Posted: 2/10/09 at 8:48am

I agree mama, there are plenty of shows that are just as good, or better, than some of this popular stuff that's out there. And have you looked at Off-Broadway? There have been a lot of shows I've seen Off-B that I found to be better than some of the stuff currently playing on Broadway.

jcdenton08
#22re: Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)
Posted: 2/10/09 at 9:07am

It's okay and all sorted now everybody. I think we made the most full itinery known to mankind! lol

Thanks for all the recommendations - I am not adversed to seeing a play FWIW - it's more a case of wanting to do the whole "tourist thing", and sitting down for a serious play might bring down our spirits a bit, when we want to be running around like crazy.

I found a couple of absolute *gems* to fill the empty nights!

TonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
#23re: Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)
Posted: 2/10/09 at 9:33am

One other thing: you'd be moving to the orchestra during intermission, not to the stalls during the interval. If you say it the other way, at worst there will be confusion over what the heck you're talking about. At worst, they'll peg you as some bloody foreigner re: Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!).

jcdenton08
#24re: Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)
Posted: 2/10/09 at 9:35am

You're quite right of course, what ho! re: Broadway Ticketing.. Questions (Simple answers please!)

Videos