pixeltracker

Drama Desk Nominees list?- Page 3

Drama Desk Nominees list?

wickedrentq Profile Photo
wickedrentq
#50re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 12:11pm

Dividing the Estate was also ineligible.

I wonder...for those of you who are familiar with all of the Billys...do you think there's a particularly strong one and/or a particularly weak one? I just wonder if who they saw affected the nomination.

"If there was a Mount Rushmore for Broadway scores, "West Side Story" would be front and center. It snaps, it crackles it pops! It surges with a roar, its energy and sheer life undiminished by the years" - NYPost reviewer Elisabeth Vincentelli

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#51re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 12:13pm

Agreed about Liza! I was most happy for her recognition and for LIZA'S AT THE PALACE getting a nod.

Drewprecht Profile Photo
Drewprecht
#52re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 12:22pm

This is quite a strange list. I am mostly surprised that Leslie Kritzer didn't get a nom, and that Rooms wasn't nominated for anything. Also, no Brian MacDevitt for Lighting of Joe Turner? They have some issues...

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#53re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 12:35pm

I'm glad to see Farah Alvin get a little awards love. Anyone who was lucky enough to catch her "Missy Miller" in "Marvelous Wonderettes" can atest to how great she was in the role. While Misty is amazing (and she really is) I think I prefer Farah's portrayal of the character. She'll probably lose to one of the Broadway ladies but, I feel, it's a well-deserved nomination.

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

bwaybabe2
#54re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 1:54pm

"Now that he's been nominated by the Outer Critics Circle, the Drama League, and the Drama Desk awards, I'd say James Barbour has a good shot at a Tony nomination. Anyone agree?"

But...of course! 100% here! He deserves every bit of it, considering his amazing talent of voice and act. IMO, this guy has never been given the credit that he deserves, despite his body of work and proven track. It is about time!

Congratulations, James!

... and nice to see ATOTC grabbed 3 nominations! Yeah! re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Updated On: 4/27/09 at 01:54 PM

mgcproductions Profile Photo
mgcproductions
#55re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 3:02pm

faith prince and jim dale reading the nominations
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVIOORn2d0I&feature=channel_page

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#56re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 3:13pm

I'm seeing 9 to 5 Saturday. I wonder if it's as good as these nominators make it out to be.
Anyway,
SHOCKED, SHOCKED, SHOCKED to see Scaglione egregiously overlooked for her superb performance.
Glad for Steve Sondheim, sad for Wediman, Cerveris, Tunick and the show itself.
Stockard Channing? For THAT performance? Really?
And that's about all.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#57re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 3:15pm

I also would like to note how thrilled I am that Hunter Foster was recognized for his performance in HAPPINESS!

WOOHOO!

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

WithoutATrace Profile Photo
WithoutATrace
#58re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 3:18pm

I'm happy for Hunter as well, but I thought Jenny Powers was the best of the bunch in HAPPINESS. I guess Featured Actress in a Musical was a crowded category...

miss pennywise Profile Photo
miss pennywise
#59re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 3:21pm

Performance quality should be the only reason for a nomination, but it sure is sweet when someone who is nominated for an award is talented AND an all-around wonderful human being.

CONGRATULATIONS, GREG JBARA!!!!
"Be on your guard! Jerks on the loose!"

http://www.roches.com/television/ss83kod.html

"If any relationship involves a flow chart, get out of it...FAST!"

~ Best12Bars

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#60re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 3:44pm

I'm shocked to see all three of the 9 to 5 gals in the same category, but thrilled they all got nominated.

13 for Best Lyrics? That's a joke right?

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

WesternSky2 Profile Photo
WesternSky2
#61re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 3:56pm

This list makes much more sense than OCC... except for the lack of Billys. :- Ah well.

And yes, yes, yes - congrats to Greg Jbara. So deserved. :)

CyCoSpAz2 Profile Photo
CyCoSpAz2
#62re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 4:01pm

THREE nominations for Tale of Two Cities?? Yes plz!

PiraguaGuy2
#63re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 4:06pm

This "9 to 5 ladies in Lead" thing is going to seriously mess up my predictions.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

scaryclowns2232
#64re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 4:09pm

Things on this list I love:

Jeremy Davidson in "Back Back Back"- he really did a fantastic job with a character that could have come off as a cartoon, but was molded into a real person.

Bryce Ryness in "Hair"- A wonderful and hilarious characterization.

Norman Conquests for Best Ensemble- The perfect award for this show. The Tony's need to add one of these awards.

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#65re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 8:20pm

I can't believe Guys and Dolls wasn't nominated for anything. I know I am alone in loving it but I felt it was a better revival than that wreck and WSS.

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

Wanna Be A Foster Profile Photo
Wanna Be A Foster
#66re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 8:35pm

Well, to be fair, WSS only got two nominations: Revival and Featured Actress.

Karen was the only semi-redeeming factor about the WSS revival, in my opinion.

As much as I dislike the GUYS AND DOLLS revival, there's no denying that the choreography is Sergio Trujillo's best to date, and I think it deserves recognition.

I also thought Kate Jennings Grant was wonderful as Sarah Brown.

But overall, both revivals were pretty poor.

"Winning a Tony this year is like winning Best Attendance in third grade: no one will care but the winner and their mom."
-Kad

"I have also met him in person, and I find him to be quite funny actually. Arrogant and often misinformed, but still funny."
-bjh2114 (on Michael Riedel)

yay_gerb Profile Photo
yay_gerb
#67re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 9:05pm

yay for will swenson and bryce ryness! also happy for fifty words! that show was absolutely insane in the best way.

BROADWAY IMPACT!
TAKE ACTION! EQUALITY!
http://www.broadwayimpact.com/

BroadwayBound062 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound062
#68re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 9:08pm

Kate should have been nominated for GD she was perfection. Also I am so happy for Farah Alvin. She is finally getting some of the lime light she deserves. An incrediable actress and singer.

Genius lasts longer than beauty.

little_sally Profile Photo
little_sally
#69re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 10:52pm

So so so glad about Bryce Ryness!

A little swash, a bit of buckle - you'll love it more than bread.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#70re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/27/09 at 11:02pm

I'm just glad Cruella De Laurents didn't get nominated as best director.

InfiniteTheaterFrenzy Profile Photo
InfiniteTheaterFrenzy
#71re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/28/09 at 2:58am

Soooooo happy that Hunter Foster was recognized!

[title of show] on Broadway. it's time. believe.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#72re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/29/09 at 9:18pm

Foster was one of the best things about Happiness. Good for him. It's a shame Michael Korie went unrecognized for his excellent lyrics though.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#73re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/29/09 at 9:46pm

ScaryClowns, the TONYs have a little known ensemble award presented a few months after the TONYs.
The amazing cast of BIG RIVER won it a few years back.

mgcproductions Profile Photo
mgcproductions
#74re: Drama Desk Nominees list?
Posted: 4/30/09 at 5:25pm

jim dale and richie ridge interviews at drama desk announcements
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0_dIOaoX9Q&feature=channel_page