News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Shrek the Musical's Appeal

guiltyone91 Profile Photo
guiltyone91
#1Shrek the Musical's Appeal
Posted: 6/22/09 at 12:11am

Has anyone listened to Shrek's music and LIKED it? I've been following it since its workshop stages and wasn't very impressed with it. But I bought the recording a few days ago and it has magically grown on me for some reason! The music feels like it could have been better, and while some of Lindsay-Abaire's lyrics deserved better music, some of them were average. But overall, it's become like a guilty pleasure for me. I think it's because Sutton Foster and Brian D'Arcy James and the rest of the cast put so much into this recording, their characters come through so richly. Just wanted to put that out there.

If I were a woman, I'd marry Stephen Joshua Sondheim. But then again, he's gay, so.... "They say the unexamined life is not worth living. But what if the examining becomes your life? Is that living or just procastinating?" - Carrie Bradshaw "All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players; They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts...." - William Shakespeare

TheGentleGiant88 Profile Photo
TheGentleGiant88
#2re: Shrek the Musical's Appeal
Posted: 6/22/09 at 12:13am

When I first heard they were doing a Shrek musical I thought oh no here comes another big budget show thats not going to be good...and one day I bought the soundtrack and I was hooked! I'm now seeing it next month! I can't wait! But I had my doubts at first. I think the music is reallly funny and smart.

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#2re: Shrek the Musical's Appeal
Posted: 6/22/09 at 12:15am

I cringed when I heard about it being turned into a musical, but I love it.

guiltyone91 Profile Photo
guiltyone91
#3re: Shrek the Musical's Appeal
Posted: 6/22/09 at 12:34am

My favorites are:

Big Bright Beautiful World
I Know It's Today
Who I'd Be (REALLY GOOD)
Morning Person (catchy as heck)
What's Up, Duloc?
I Think I Got You Beat (can't get it out of my head sometimes)
Freak Flag (even tho "what makes us special makes us strong" is corny as I don't know what, I LOVE this song)
Big Bright Beautiful World Reprise (Brian D'Arcy James almost melted my heart as Shrek in this song. It just feels so sincere)
This Is Our Story (I especially love Sutton's performance.
"I am sweetness
I am bratty.
I'm a princess
I'm a fatty.
I'm a mess of contradictions in a dress." Wonderful lyrics that she makes gold out of)

If I were a woman, I'd marry Stephen Joshua Sondheim. But then again, he's gay, so.... "They say the unexamined life is not worth living. But what if the examining becomes your life? Is that living or just procastinating?" - Carrie Bradshaw "All the world's a stage, And all the men and women merely players; They have their exits and their entrances; And one man in his time plays many parts...." - William Shakespeare
Updated On: 6/22/09 at 12:34 AM

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
#4re: Shrek the Musical's Appeal
Posted: 6/22/09 at 12:36am

The Finale sounds like a Sonny & Cher duet.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#5re: Shrek the Musical's Appeal
Posted: 6/22/09 at 12:38am

I think the score is pretty fantastic. It is the product of a Pulitzer winner and the composer of Caroline, or Change and Violet.

millie_dillmount Profile Photo
millie_dillmount
#6re: Shrek the Musical's Appeal
Posted: 6/22/09 at 12:42am

I only care for a few songs outside of the show. I prefer to see them performed in the context of the show.

"We like to snark around here. Sometimes we actually talk about theater...but we try not to let that get in our way." - dramamama611

[tos]fan999 Profile Photo
[tos]fan999
#7re: Shrek the Musical's Appeal
Posted: 6/22/09 at 12:43am

I had the same reaction as most "what? shrek the musical? no way..."
But I got the CD, and I actually really like it. To me, it's this seasons Legally Blonde. It just makes me really happy to listen to.

<-----Bernadette Peters and Alexander Hanson in A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC.

Send in the clowns...Send in the crowds!

"I prefer neurotic people. I like to hear rumblings beneath the surface."-Stephen Sondheim

binau Profile Photo
binau
#8re: Shrek the Musical's Appeal
Posted: 6/22/09 at 1:56am

I agree with most of you!

*Cringe**Cringe* was the reaction I had right up until the Tony performance (which I enjoyed). After listening to the cast recording I think it's pretty good! It's the first time I've heard SUtton Foster sing too [embarrassingly]which was also pretty cool.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

shh282 Profile Photo
shh282
#9re: Shrek the Musical's Appeal
Posted: 6/22/09 at 2:05am

My opinion of Shrek is that it's purely a family musical - something that children will honestly have a good time at. Though the technical aspects of the show are quite exceptional, I was not blown away by the score/lyrics of this piece. Although - I did love the company, they did with it what they could. Those who got Tony Noms really deserved them.

legally_popular Profile Photo
legally_popular
#10re: Shrek the Musical's Appeal
Posted: 6/22/09 at 2:36am

I was very disappointed by Shrek, and unlike most opinions above, the score and (especially) the lyrics were actually my least favorite thing about it.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#11re: Shrek the Musical's Appeal
Posted: 6/22/09 at 2:58am

I wasn't too sure how Shrek would translate to the stage, but I have loved it since my first viewing. It's a really charming, fun and surprisingly touching show with a ton of heart and an amazingly talented cast.

The score is very catchy and packs a huge punch, especially the completely heart-breaking 'Who I'd Be' and 'Build A Wall'. Many songs bring the bright, sunny-feel you need: 'Big, Bright, Beautiful World', 'What's Up DuLoc' and 'I Know It's Today' and they hook you with their catchy and fun lyrics.

Overall, I love Shrek and have seen it three times because it touches me and makes me laugh quite a bit.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

Marianne2 Profile Photo
Marianne2
#12re: Shrek the Musical's Appeal
Posted: 6/22/09 at 8:31am

I'll admit, I never cared for Shrek at all, until I saw the show on Saturday. I ended up winning the lottery. It was the tv performances from Christopher Sieber that had me hooked a little. But, while it wasn't earth-shattering theatre, it was still cute. I don't think I'll buy the cast recording, but I was not disappointed by the show.

It's odd though. I find the cartoon characters irritating, but not the musical.

"I don't want the pretty lights to come and get me."-Homecoming 2005 "You can't pray away the gay."-Callie Torres on Grey's Anatomy. Ignored Users: suestorm, N2N Nate., Owen22, master bates

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#13re: Shrek the Musical's Appeal
Posted: 6/22/09 at 8:37am

I don't care for it at all. Bores me to tears.

As far as family appeal: my 8 and 12 year old BOTH put it closer to the bottom of their list when "ranking" shows. DEF their least favorite of the three we saw on that outing being bested by both Wicked and Stomp. When I offered purchasing the cd for them both passed.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Horton Profile Photo
Horton
#14re: Shrek the Musical's Appeal
Posted: 6/22/09 at 8:57am

Although there have been some criticisms against the score, I happen to think Jeanine Tesori's score is the best thing about the show. In her score Tesori managed to really run an incredible range of emotions. I have been a fan of hers since Caroline, or Change and she in no way disappointed me with her work on this show. I am in no way saying that Shrek is the best show this season, but I am saying it did for me exactly what The Drowsy Chaperone did two seasons ago: It brought a smile to my face when I saw the show, and it puts me in a great mood when I listen to the cast recording.

jennamajig Profile Photo
jennamajig
#15re: Shrek the Musical's Appeal
Posted: 6/22/09 at 9:33am

I went in expecting to hate Shrek the show and enjoy the technical merits of the show and was very surprised! I had a great time at the show. Best thing I've ever seen? No way. But an enjoyable 2.5 hours that had me smiling? Definitely. The gem for me was "Who I'd Be."

And I enjoyed Shrek more than Wicked. A much better score, in my opinion.

SharpCookies
#16re: Shrek the Musical's Appeal
Posted: 6/22/09 at 11:37am

I was skeptical when I heard some of the people's negative comments about it on here, but when I listened to the music I got hooked. As many said, it's not the best theatre out there, but it is fun and enjoyable to listen to. I for one would love to see the show, especially with the original cast. I will die if I can't see it with Brian as Shrek.

WishingOnlyWounds2
#17re: Shrek the Musical's Appeal
Posted: 6/22/09 at 11:59am

I really enjoy the score!

2008: Feb. 18- Rent, Feb. 19- Curtains, April 18- Xanadu, April 22- Wicked, April 26- Legally Blonde, May 31- Wicked, June 13- The Little Mermaid, June 28- Wicked and Young Frankenstein, July 2- The Little Mermaid, July 6- A Chorus Line and Legally Blonde, August 16- Xanadu, September 13- Legally Blonde and 13, September 28- Xanadu and Spring Awakening, Oct. 12-GYPSY and [title of show], Oct. 19- Hairspray & Legally Blonde, Nov. 9- Wicked and 13, Dec. 14-13, Dec. 26- Billy Elliot, 2009: Jan 1- Shrek, Jan 2- 13 and Wicked, Jan 4- 13, Feb 17- In The Heights, Feb 19- Billy Elliot, Feb 22- Sweeney Todd (tour), March 28- Mary Poppins, April 4- Mamma Mia!, April 15- Jersey Boys (on tour), April 25- next to normal & 9 to 5 May 1- Billy Elliot, May 3- Spelling Bee (tour), May 8- Chicago, May 21- Wicked, June 6- Everyday Rapture, June 23- The Wiz, June 25- Hair July 15- Shrek, August 9- Wicked, September 7- Rock of Ages, October 11- Next To Normal, October 23- The Marvelous Wonderettes, November 7- Ragtime November 29- Dreamgirls, December 25- Billy Elliot, December 30- Finian's Rainbow, 2010: January 9- Bye Bye Birdie, January 16- Memphis February 17- The Phantom of The Opera, February 18- God of Carnage, March 7- Billy Elliot, March 31- American Idiot

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#18re: Shrek the Musical's Appeal
Posted: 6/22/09 at 1:51pm

At first I was very skeptical about listening to the score, but it just had so many talented people attached to it: d'Arcy James, Foster, Sieber, Tesori and Lindsay-Abaire.

After multiple listens, I love the score, and think it's the most underrated of the season.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

taylorPHENOMENON2 Profile Photo
taylorPHENOMENON2
#19re: Shrek the Musical's Appeal
Posted: 6/22/09 at 3:52pm

I'm with everyone who thought it'd be absolutely terrible, but some of the songs are my most frequented right now (This is my Story, Make a Move, I Think I Got You Beat, Morning Person..). I usually skip over Travel Song, Don't Let Me Go, Donkey Pot Pie and This is How a Dream Come True which for me just suck outside of the show.

James2 Profile Photo
James2
#20re: Shrek the Musical's Appeal
Posted: 6/22/09 at 11:56pm

What do you guys think of "When Words Fail?" I think that song is nice on its own, but Brian really sells the sincerity and awkwardness of it.

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

Schmerg_The_Impaler Profile Photo
Schmerg_The_Impaler
#21re: Shrek the Musical's Appeal
Posted: 6/27/09 at 7:17pm

James2, I think that and "Who I'd Be" are by far the strongest moments of the show, and I was confused that no one seems to single out that song.

I love Shrek. I loved the movie, and the sequel (not the third one), I have a Shrek t-shirt and a Shrek cereal bowl and lots of other Shrek merchandise... I was a kid who grew up in the Shrek franchise. I can't NOT love the musical. Shrek was integral to my childhood!

In my pants, she has burst like the music of angels, the light of the sun! --Marius Pantsmercy

bwayfan7000
#22re: Shrek the Musical's Appeal
Posted: 6/27/09 at 8:04pm

I sort of held a lot against Shrek, (negative reviews, word of mouth, etc.) but after finally getting the recording, I realized that I really love the music. It's appeal is, obviously, SHREK, but it has a lot more to it that "theme park musical", from what I've heard of it.

"Art, in itself, is an attempt to bring order out of chaos."-Stephen Sondheim

Videos