News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

2008 Tony Awards: Performance & Presenters Lists- Page 4

2008 Tony Awards: Performance & Presenters Lists

TheatreNerd23 Profile Photo
TheatreNerd23
#75re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 6/4/08 at 7:03pm

AHHHH.
Hahahaha broadway divas in HSM.
Laughing so hard.
Next year they can all have a "fabulous" battle/sing-off.

defyingravity07 Profile Photo
defyingravity07
NYCboy2 Profile Photo
NYCboy2
#77re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 6/4/08 at 8:43pm

Passing Strange will perform half Amsterdam and Keys per jay's remix report on passing strange.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#78re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 6/4/08 at 8:44pm

A CATERED AFFAIR, THE LITTLE MERMAID, and YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN will all be performing. :)

I've updated the List, however I didn't add IN THE HEIGHTS yet (one of the three I knew way back when). Apparently they are going back-and-forth between a particular number or a medley.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle
Updated On: 6/4/08 at 08:44 PM

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#79re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 6/4/08 at 9:23pm

Good for ACA, but how the hell are they going to have time for the awards?!

I pay allll this money to go, and I'll basically be watching excerpts from shows I've either seen or have absolutely no interest in seeing. There's no way they'll have time for a proper Sondheim tribute now, in any event.

Dollypop
#80re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 6/4/08 at 9:53pm

I just got a call from a friend involved with the Tony broadcast. He told me that the cast of GYPSY will perform a number from MAME.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#81re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 6/4/08 at 10:53pm

"Suhhhhh weeeee nEEEEEED a li'l ChristmAHs, right this very mineeeeht."

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

musicaltheatrefan3 Profile Photo
musicaltheatrefan3
#82re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 6/5/08 at 12:29am

Are the new shows doing songs, regardless of Best Musical nominations, to avoid the LB So Much Better upset. They shouldn't. It's a waste of time. I LOVE "Legally Blonde", but they didn't get nominated, so they shouldn't have performed. Same for ACA and TLM. And where's YF?

BustopherPhantom Profile Photo
BustopherPhantom
#83re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 6/5/08 at 12:34am

Why shouldn't they get to perform, if it helps sell tickets?

Even if LEGALLY BLONDE didn't get to perform on the Tonys, they got their revenge by airing the show on MTV: if that wasn't a commercial, I don't know what is.

And I, for one, would love to see A CATERED AFFAIR get some more publicity!

THE LITTLE MERMAID? Eh, it can fend for itself.

"Y'know, I think Bertolt Brecht was rolling in his grave."
-Nellie McKay on the 2006 Broadway production of The Threepenny Opera, in which she played Polly Peachum

StuckToTheStage Profile Photo
StuckToTheStage
#84re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 6/5/08 at 12:55am

I agree with you, BustopherPhantom. ACA needs to perform. It deserves the publicity.

"Maybe you could teach me how to LuPwn? No, that seems like something only a bitter delusional queen could enjoy." -JoeKv99 on the remarks of TooDarnHot

Eris0303 Profile Photo
Eris0303
#85re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 6/5/08 at 1:28am

Someone just brought this up to me and I thought it was interesting. What are the odds of the Grease producers using the Tony Awards to showcase their first attempt at stunt casting rather than an ensemble number? Could we possibly see Taylor Hicks warbling "Beauty School Dropout" on the Tonys telecast?

"All our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them." -- Walt Disney We must have different Gods. My God said "do to others what you would have them do to you". Your God seems to have said "My Way or the Highway".

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#86re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 6/6/08 at 6:10pm

Updated.

--Aristotle

[tos]fan999 Profile Photo
[tos]fan999
#87re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 6/6/08 at 6:20pm

I actually think that the odds of a High School Musical number being performed are very slim. I mean, wouldn't we have heard about it now?

<-----Bernadette Peters and Alexander Hanson in A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC.

Send in the clowns...Send in the crowds!

"I prefer neurotic people. I like to hear rumblings beneath the surface."-Stephen Sondheim

Elke Profile Photo
Elke
#88re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 6/6/08 at 6:23pm

CapnHook, has it been confirmed that YF and ACA will be performing? I read the "1 minute rumor" but haven't heard anything about it since. Those two shows are not mentioned in the recent Playbill article either.

Or did you hear it from a reliable source?

BwayBaby18 Profile Photo
BwayBaby18
#89re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 6/6/08 at 6:33pm

Xanadu is doing "Don't Walk Away" ... i thought they were doing a medley....that's depresing.

I was hoping to see Radio City Music hall FILLED with Disco Balls.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#90re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 6/6/08 at 7:05pm

I HIGHLY doubt Xanadu is doing Don't Walk Away.

And is it definite that the non-Best Musical-nominees will perform?

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#91re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 6/6/08 at 7:11pm

My apologies, I didn't see the official DONT WALK AWAY announcement on playbill.com. That is an awful, awful choice for XANADU. It's a great song but it's not going to sell tickets. For producers with such a keen sense of advertising and campaigning, this is really a shock. Especially because the show isn't doing very well.

H.Higgins Profile Photo
H.Higgins
#92re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 6/6/08 at 7:33pm

Really? I'm surprised to hear you say that, Wickedrocks. I was thinking the opposite. It's such a great number and to me, it's the kind of song that people will hear and think, "I want to see this!". Some of the material in Xanadu just wouldn't get across to a general audience out of context and on a TV broadcast. Medleys tend to be more distracting and confusing than effective. The only single song I think MIGHT be better than "Don't Walk Away" is "Evil Woman." And again, taken out of context, it might not be the best.

Just my two cents.

Ed_Mottershead
#93re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 6/6/08 at 7:44pm

I'm concerned about Xanadu selection -- yes, it's a beautiful number and the whole country will be exposed to Cheyenne and Kerry, which is great. But I would have thought something that captured the sheer fun of the show would have been a better choice. That's what everyone walks away saying about the show and I feel it should be memorialized. Just my opinion.

BroadwayEd

jaystarr Profile Photo
jaystarr
#94re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 6/6/08 at 7:50pm

I TOTALLY agree Ed. I was suprised they picked Dont Walk Away... its more of Cheyenne's song..Shouldn't they be concentrating more on Kerry bec. she was nominated afterall? I guess they opted for "more of Cheyenne". I was hoping for I'm Alive or Xanadu...at least I will get to see Kyle Dean Massey in his Thalia dress!

Also- I guess I made a mistake...someone asked Stew what song he wil performed.. he said 'Part of Keys" not the whole song....I thought I heard him say... part keys..part amsterdam.. sorry my bad!

J*

Updated On: 6/6/08 at 07:50 PM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#95re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 6/6/08 at 8:32pm

Weeks ago, I heard that all new musicals (no mention of the revivals) would be "involved" and get to perform to a degree. (I interpreted this as doing a group number to open the Tonys, such as the "One Night Only" number from 2004.)

Since, we learned THE LION KING is opening and LITTLE MERMAID is doing "Part of Your World" -- so the "ensemble" number idea is out. I know YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN is performing for sure, but I still haven't heard a confirmed "yes" about A CATERED AFFAIR.

What I THINK is happening is that there is a montage of ACA/LM/YF performing back-to-back, each getting about a minute. So "Part of Your World" et al will be edited to fit the time alloted.

What I would LOVE to happen is to have this montage not just be these three shows, but all SEVEN new musicals, which would mean the new shows get to perform twice (as in the 2005 Tonys). If this is the case, I could see XANADU doing "Xanadu" + IN THE HEIGHTS doing "In The Heights" + PASSING STRANGE doing "Amsterdam" (I was told PS was doing "Amsterdam" but the Playbill article only mentions "Keys." Odd.)

--Aristotle

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#96re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 6/9/08 at 10:45pm

Updated.

--Aristotle

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#97re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 6/9/08 at 10:49pm

nm

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.
Updated On: 6/9/08 at 10:49 PM

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#98re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 6/9/08 at 10:50pm

It's on the list on the first page. re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List

--Aristotle

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#99re: 2008 Tony Awards: Performance List
Posted: 6/9/08 at 11:04pm

Ha. I knew they would do EVERYTHING'S COMING UP ROSES. I called this since day one.

Videos