News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

AMDA

Mr.  Tuttle Profile Photo
Mr. Tuttle
#25re: AMDA
Posted: 1/18/05 at 12:10am

scam = a person or place that takes your money for a service it promises to provide and then doesn't.

Ignorance is temporary. Stupidity last forever. Watch out BWW... HE'S BACK.

sipos
#26re: AMDA
Posted: 1/18/05 at 12:18am

Thanks, but I knew the general meaning of the term.

I was interested in hearing a specific reason from a circumstance.

cathyhyatt
#27re: AMDA
Posted: 1/18/05 at 11:33am

ANYONE can get into amda...it sucks...

"You won't fight without layers of armor Suit on up and come brace my sword You look back when the pieces are missing Hollowed out hope that no time can restore."

Joshua488
#28re: AMDA
Posted: 1/18/05 at 12:14pm

A new comment I heard: "The students that go to AMDA remind me of the choir rejects in high school. There was not one star amongst them." -My sister

If that is offensive to any AMDA student/graduate, DON'T KILL THE MESSENGER!!! And who is MV?? They say that they are "currently starring on Broadway". That would be quite interesting to find out who it is. Some current Broadway "stars" remind me of high school choir rejects. Updated On: 1/18/05 at 12:14 PM

BalletGirl85 Profile Photo
BalletGirl85
#29re: AMDA
Posted: 1/18/05 at 2:03pm

Wow, Joshua. What are you, 12?

How would your sister know this unless she has been to the school? AMDA has lots of talented students. A lot of them get accepted to other amazing schools around the country but go to AMDA because it's in NYC. One girl in my group was 18 and was accepted to CMU and UMich, which are both amazing schools and only take the cream of the crop (and, in some cases, whoever has the most money... but we'll not get into that...) and she only came to AMDA because of the location.

It's true that they accept a lot of people... but not EVERYONE they accept is bad. It's about half and half, and some strong singers may not be the best dancers, and some real dancers may not have the best acting skills. I started working professionally when I was 11 and was cast in a national tour at age 15 but had no real training besides my dance training, so I thought it was a great place to learn some acting skills I had never really learned before. I got accepted to one of the top musical theater schools in the country but it wasn't NYC.

So don't go around judging people you know nothing about. I know lots of talented people who came from that school who have careers on Broadway and in other means of professional theater careers.

So, JOSHUA. What have youuuu or your sister ever done that sets you above the "choir rejects?" Because I doubt it's much, and with your attitude, you're not getting anywhere in NYC. Sorry, kid!

Joshua488
#30re: AMDA
Posted: 1/18/05 at 3:15pm

Why, thanks for your enthusiasm! I never said anything bad about the AMDA kids... it's all her. She's conceited and she knows it and she lives/works in NYC she's totally successful in her field. I'm just relaying the messages! She knows these things because a handful of her friends went to AMDA, and she's seen AMDA performances and met lots of AMDA kids.

You know nothing about me or my sister; you don't know my talents, and you don't know what I can and can't do. You don't know my accomplishments; you don't know what I have done or anything. So don't judge ME when you're preaching about not judging OTHERS. It makes you look awfully hypocritical. Capiche? Thanks!

Also, I don't have an attitude problem and I regret being b!tchy and rude. I am a really happy, chipper, perky and kind person... almost TOO kind sometimes! But when people personally attack me when they know nothing about me, it aggravates me and I get defensive. So, I apologize for my snooty attitude, but I meant everything I said. No hard feelings!! :)

P.S.
No, I'm not 12. I just look young. :) Updated On: 1/18/05 at 03:15 PM

ShineOn
#31re: AMDA
Posted: 1/18/05 at 3:29pm

Wow, this conversation has fled right down the path of caliber which is attributed to AMDA... how ironic.

BalletGirl-- I hope that comment wasn't directed toward me. I didn't think I was "too good" for the school, as I've already stated there were many talented people in my class that I didn't feel "above" in any way. I honestly felt my father was expending an absurd amount of money on this place and I didn't feel I was getting my dollar's worth. NOT because I don't feel like I have plenty and oodles to learn, but because I didn't feel like I was gaining anything from my time spent there. I was constantly miserable. It wasn't a great learning environment for me.

I, too, fell into that trap of "being in New York". It's an easy one to fall into when you're young and immature and have had city lights in your eyes since before you could walk. It was a hard dose of *reality* though. I learned some stuff from my time there, both as a performer and as a person, but I don't regret leaving.

PAB, I think you hit the nail on the head. Bless you. :)

"You! You are the worst thing to happen to musical theatre since Andrew Lloyd Webber! And you, well, I just plain don't like you."
~Stewart Gilligan Griffin

MV Profile Photo
MV
#32re: AMDA
Posted: 1/18/05 at 5:07pm

too bad I didnt have a choir in highshcool...
no rejects here.

broadwaybondchik Profile Photo
broadwaybondchik
#33re: AMDA
Posted: 1/18/05 at 5:30pm

Well, I had to leave Amda to have surgery on my vocal chords, but if that hadnt happened I would defiantly still be there, Im returning in feb. I personally LOVE AMDA, great people, amazing teachers. Who better to teach you than a working professional themself, and yeah its a little expensive, but what Ive experienced so far, worth every penny, if you search for an amda thread you will find the one that i started when i was just getting ready to audition. Dont be scared atthe audition either, everyone is super nice. Although Lindsay Chambers is a bit scaryre: AMDA You learn alot there, well at least I have

Me tarzan nah nah nah nah....

jenoa 2
#34re: AMDA
Posted: 1/23/05 at 11:04am

OK, it's over, i feel so empty in side with nothing to fret over!!

jk, so the audition was weird, but good I think, we talked, he loved my monologue, and said I because what type I was I needed to learn to belt, I said "please teach me to belt!" we belted a few notes together and tehn he made his assistant come in and made him personally send a verbal message to the woman who interviewd me, interview is a strong word for what this was.

anyway I asked the assistant, and he said that no he wasn't allowed to tell me what the message was, but that it was just numbers and he didn't know what they meant anyway.

I was the only one with that bizarre experience.

so I'll know in a week and start in Feb if they want me.

thanks so much for everyones help, it was great!!

EverythingIsRENT Profile Photo
EverythingIsRENT
#35re: AMDA
Posted: 1/23/05 at 11:49am

AMDA accepts just anyone?? well, they rejected me, so I must REALLY really suck bad!! ::sniff:: wow I feel really bad now re: AMDA

Sunchips: Best Kept Secret in the chip aisle!!

Mr.  Tuttle Profile Photo
Mr. Tuttle
#36re: AMDA
Posted: 1/23/05 at 1:34pm

Jeona:

Let's get this straight...

you have never auditioned for anything...

but you were accepted into AMDA?

Do we need any more proof?

(ps- save the whining for your 5th period drama class)

Ignorance is temporary. Stupidity last forever. Watch out BWW... HE'S BACK.
Updated On: 1/23/05 at 01:34 PM

jasonvanemburgh
#37re: AMDA
Posted: 1/23/05 at 5:48pm

The truth of the matter is that there are no "talent police" at the borders of NYC. Anyone can enter. If one measures their success based on the financial end, or "being on Broadway", one should re-examine their motives. I think so many post high schoolers go to Ny for the fame and the fortune. Acting is an art form that is based on techniques and self-discovery. Its about intellect,intuition, and hard work. To become a master at your art form is the success, anything else is icing on the cake. A lot of people graduate from law school, but not all become high-profile attorneys. The ones that do must have talent. It was rumored that Lee Strasberg would look for young actors who were trmendously talented and invite them to the Actor's Studio, and then claim to have taught them himself. WOuld going to that school make someone untalented talented? No, but if you looked at the roster most people would be lining up with checkbook open. Sanford Meisner said that it takes 20 years to become an actor. I think AMDA will teach what you need. They, or any other school, wont teach talent and instinct. They wont teach purpose or drive. They certainly wont check your reasons for wanting to become an actor, only you will know that. If it is your passion you will listen to your heart, and not someone on this message board. Just watch the American Idol auditions, how many of those terrible singers think that they are good. My only advice would be to make sure that you have some degree of talent before you set yourself up for years of misery. Are you getting the lead in your high school musicals? or chorus? Are you knight number one in Poughkipsie Players Camelot, or are you Arthur. There are exceptions always, but if your an amateur chorus singer, your going to be professional waiter for a very long time!

" I wish that the stage were as narrow as a tightrope wire, so that no incompetent would dare step upon it" Goethe

MagicToDo82 Profile Photo
MagicToDo82
#38re: AMDA
Posted: 1/23/05 at 6:17pm

Hehe. I applied for information on AMDA years ago, and they're still sending me information all the time. Three addresses later...

There's always room for pathos - and jazz hands.

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#39re: AMDA
Posted: 1/23/05 at 8:10pm

whats wrong with Lindsay Chambers?

musicgal04 Profile Photo
musicgal04
#40re: AMDA
Posted: 1/23/05 at 8:35pm

I remember the number thing from my audition, none of us knew what it meant and I still don't. Lindsay Chambers is intense but I like him as a teacher, he really pushes you.

Amneris Profile Photo
Amneris
#41re: AMDA
Posted: 1/23/05 at 9:22pm

ohhh HAHA! I thought you meant Lindsay Chambers from Hairspray. She plays Tammy and she's really nice and talented.

jenoa 2
#42re: AMDA
Posted: 1/24/05 at 9:54pm

damn, so you had the number thing too? I was working up this whole fantasy of the number being a SCHOLARSHIP number.....

oh well.

and Mr tuttle--RE: the crack about never auditioning for anything-- when you train with private coaches and take classes you don't need to audition. Not everyone on this board is still in high school.

#43re: AMDA
Posted: 2/14/05 at 4:52pm

I just auditioned for AMDA yesterday. I was really excited about this school. But after looking at all of these mixed reviews, I don't know what to think anymore. Anyone help me? Thanks!

BroadwayBettini Profile Photo
BroadwayBettini
#44re: AMDA
Posted: 2/14/05 at 9:46pm

This is not good at all.

I got accepted in December for thier october semester in New York, and I have no where else to go, and I'm moving into new york. I'm going there to work and not fool around, this is a passion and serious to me, and I hope that this school and some of it's students don't make it a mockery.

The thing i'm most worried about is the housing. If it's that bad I really am trying to think of alternatives. I haven't even graduated highschool yet, and since I'm not the best academic in the world it was either AMDA or try making it in New York with no training. I might as well go to Amda make my time there see if I like it, and still maybe try out for Julliard or another better school. I don't know. I feel as though I have now been discouraged. My family and I are going to find other optional housing for me, Balletgirl didn't have a very good experaince and her story was sincere, and I will take it to heart.

"You gotta be original, because if you're like someone else, what do they need you for?" -Bernadette Peters

munkustrap178 Profile Photo
munkustrap178
#45re: AMDA
Posted: 2/14/05 at 9:48pm

scamda!

"If you are going to do something, do it well. And leave something witchy." -Charlie Manson

WildhornFanatic
#46re: AMDA
Posted: 2/14/05 at 10:42pm

I'm a current BFA Musical Theater student at Ithaca College. I love my time here and I'm learning so much. I have to say that this program has made my love for theater grow even stronger. Everyone supports everyone and the entire department is very close.

You should look into auditioning here. There is no cut system, but if you're bad, you do get discontinued.

I have had 3 friends that went to AMDA. 2 detested it and had nothing good to say and 1 loved it and had only good things to say, so I think it's what you make of it.

Best of luck.

RockyRoad Profile Photo
RockyRoad
#47re: AMDA
Posted: 2/15/05 at 12:43am

Yes jeona..you're right.

Why audition and face the real world when you have all the private voice lessons and classes you need. After all, you're just studying this for fun, right? Cause you certainly don't sound like a serious performer.

Brittlynn Profile Photo
Brittlynn
#48re: AMDA
Posted: 5/23/06 at 12:52am

Thank you I am so tired of hearing bad things about AMDA! Marissa Jaret Winokur went there didnt she? I agree with you its not just about what school you go to...you have to have drive and determination!

singtopher Profile Photo
singtopher
#49re: AMDA
Posted: 5/23/06 at 1:08am

Everyone I have ever met that went to AMDA have told me the faculty breaks the students up into section. Certain sections are given the best teachers and others the not so good ones.
My conclusion: Just like any school out there, it all depends on which teachers you have.

"If this is going to be a Christian nation that doesn't help the poor, either we have to pretend that Jesus was just as selfish as we are, or we've got to acknowledge that He commanded us to love the poor and serve the needy without condition and then admit that we just don't want to do it." -Stephen Colbert

Videos