News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Ana Gasteyer Joins Broadway's Wicked for 13 Weeks, Starts Oct 10- Page 3

Ana Gasteyer Joins Broadway's Wicked for 13 Weeks, Starts Oct 10

RentBoy86
#50re: Ana Gasteyer Joins Broadway's Wicked for 13 Weeks, Starts Oct 10
Posted: 9/1/06 at 1:39am

I thought she was one of the better acted Elphabas, but perhaps I'm just use to the brass untrained beltyness of past Elphabas, but I found some of her vocals to just be so-so. Although, I'll admit I was a little overwhelmed by everything - sets, lighting, and the fact that I was seeing the show. But she was really great in the book scenes. I think all the NYCers will be happy. Though I do fear for the little girls, I don't see them flinging to Ana like some of the past cast members, or Kate for that matter. Isn't it odd how certain Elphabas and Glindas are just put on a pedistal by some people, but others arent? Odd.

friedrichVT
#51re: Ana Gasteyer Joins Broadway's Wicked for 13 Weeks, Starts Oct 10
Posted: 9/1/06 at 1:48am

Am I the only one who thinks she could be Elphaba's Grandmother? She reads Matronly and frankly much older on stage.

RentBoy86
#52re: Ana Gasteyer Joins Broadway's Wicked for 13 Weeks, Starts Oct 10
Posted: 9/1/06 at 1:52am

She didn't read that old on stage to me, not with all the green makeup, plus Kate isn't a spring chicken herself, so they work well together.

friedrichVT
#53re: Ana Gasteyer Joins Broadway's Wicked for 13 Weeks, Starts Oct 10
Posted: 9/1/06 at 1:54am

she does not read as a graduating student of ANY university...unless she atarted Shiz at 35...

vbplayer Profile Photo
vbplayer
#54re: Ana Gasteyer Joins Broadway's Wicked for 13 Weeks, Starts Oct 10
Posted: 9/1/06 at 1:57am

"Am I the only one who thinks she could be Elphaba's Grandmother? She reads Matronly and frankly much older on stage."

You really don't have a clue....do you?

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." -- Author Unknown

renthead333 Profile Photo
renthead333
#55re: Ana Gasteyer Joins Broadway's Wicked for 13 Weeks, Starts Oct 10
Posted: 9/1/06 at 2:02am

Ana just seems too old for the role...

RentBoy86
#56re: Ana Gasteyer Joins Broadway's Wicked for 13 Weeks, Starts Oct 10
Posted: 9/1/06 at 2:05am

She's really not all that old. So friedrichVT , what school did Idina or Kristen graduate from? They're both rather "old" as well.

friedrichVT
#57re: Ana Gasteyer Joins Broadway's Wicked for 13 Weeks, Starts Oct 10
Posted: 9/1/06 at 2:10am

They don't READ old on stage. Idina maintained an optimism that made her read youthful and a more lithe body that also read younger....Ana possesses a matronly physical look, a harder face and an energy that is WELL beyond college age...

Updated On: 9/1/06 at 02:10 AM

lfae Profile Photo
lfae
#58re: Ana Gasteyer Joins Broadway's Wicked for 13 Weeks, Starts Oct 10
Posted: 9/1/06 at 5:31am

I'm very interested to see how she will play Elphaba. I know she's done it before of course, but I didn't *see* that. I adore her and her voice is marvellous, but just from watching Reefer Madness last night, I was struck by how very mature she is. She looks her age. I don't doubt that she's going to blow the roof off the Gershwin in act 2, but I'm very interested to see how she'll be in act 1!

Ahh, the excitement :)

VeuveClicquot Profile Photo
VeuveClicquot
#59re: Ana Gasteyer Joins Broadway's Wicked for 13 Weeks, Starts Oct 10
Posted: 9/1/06 at 5:46am

"They don't READ old on stage. Idina maintained an optimism that made her read youthful and a more lithe body that also read younger....Ana possesses a matronly physical look, a harder face and an energy that is WELL beyond college age..."

Yeah, but...

Ana is a terrific talent. But honestly. Elheba is a teenager.

mejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
sideshow13 Profile Photo
sideshow13
#61re: Ana Gasteyer Joins Broadway's Wicked for 13 Weeks, Starts Oct 10
Posted: 9/1/06 at 10:32am

Ahhhhh! I'm moving to NY the same week she begins her run! I am BEYOND excited that she'll be my first Elphaba!

que pasa calabaza...

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#62re: Ana Gasteyer Joins Broadway's Wicked for 13 Weeks, Starts Oct 10
Posted: 9/1/06 at 10:38am

I saw her in the fund raiser 'Funny Girl' where lots fo actresses played Fanny (Sutton, Idina, Kristin, Lillias, Jane, etc.), and Ana did the 'You Are Woman, I Am Man' number with Peter Gallagher. She was absolutely fantastic. She should make a terrific Elphaba.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

pants2 Profile Photo
pants2
#63re: Ana Gasteyer Joins Broadway's Wicked for 13 Weeks, Starts Oct 10
Posted: 9/1/06 at 11:21am

ugh

Can, can I have it?

alliez92092 Profile Photo
alliez92092
#64re: Ana Gasteyer Joins Broadway's Wicked for 13 Weeks, Starts Oct 10
Posted: 9/1/06 at 11:21am

Not a suprise, but great nontheless! But when they release the next Elphaba, then the world will be happy.

mejusthavingfun Profile Photo
mejusthavingfun
#65re: Ana Gasteyer Joins Broadway's Wicked for 13 Weeks, Starts Oct 10
Posted: 9/1/06 at 11:23am

Yea,, I'm really dying to see Alanis Morrisette come in. I hope she does the movie before she gets too old. LOL. I love everything Ana does. She can definitely act.

Ready 2 Defy Gravity Profile Photo
Ready 2 Defy Gravity
#66re: Ana Gasteyer Joins Broadway's Wicked for 13 Weeks, Starts Oct 10
Posted: 9/1/06 at 1:58pm

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ana is coming to Wicked I love her ending of Defying Gravity

RentBoy86
#67re: Ana Gasteyer Joins Broadway's Wicked for 13 Weeks, Starts Oct 10
Posted: 9/1/06 at 2:23pm

Well I don't know if you've seen the show, but Elphaba is a teenager for all of about 30mins, the show moves quickly. By the end she's an adult, so it all works out. Would you rather them cast a 19 year old and then have her put on "adult makeup" to make her look older? She comes off fine on stage, considering all the chorus memebers are about the same age as her, they all look like they belong.

mikeyb16 Profile Photo
mikeyb16
#68re: Ana Gasteyer Joins Broadway's Wicked for 13 Weeks, Starts Oct 10
Posted: 9/1/06 at 2:36pm

good for her! i know she'll be great. i have 1 curious thought, when the producers bring back the previous stars e.g, idina menzel for london and megan hilty for the tour, do they ask them to return or do the stars themselves decide to come back?

cyril
#69re: Ana Gasteyer Joins Broadway's Wicked for 13 Weeks, Starts Oct 10
Posted: 9/1/06 at 4:13pm

certainly a lot of wicked changes. ana going to new york in Oct, stacie and kristy leaving chicago in Oct,LA opening February with still unannounced casting. haven't heard much about the changes in the Tour. the changes certainly bode well for even some of the understudies to get their break and rotate up, so to speak.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#70re: Ana Gasteyer Joins Broadway's Wicked for 13 Weeks, Starts Oct 10
Posted: 9/2/06 at 12:53am

I was actually expecting 1,000 posts on this by now. I guess it's a slow night.

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

neddyfrank2
#71re: Ana Gasteyer Joins Broadway's Wicked for 13 Weeks, Starts Oct 10
Posted: 9/2/06 at 12:58am

Btw- Megan, Carol, and Eden are doing Wicked in LA

mikeyb16 Profile Photo
mikeyb16
#72re: Ana Gasteyer Joins Broadway's Wicked for 13 Weeks, Starts Oct 10
Posted: 9/2/06 at 8:39am

really? when did you hear that?

HughE2030 Profile Photo
HughE2030
#73re: Ana Gasteyer Joins Broadway's Wicked for 13 Weeks, Starts Oct 10
Posted: 9/2/06 at 9:43am

Theater as most mediums are a suspension of reality. Who was a teenager in the movie of Grease?

I can't wait to see Ana in Wicked,and glad to have confirmation of when after she told me she might, which I reported here back in April, when I saw her at the Stage Door of Three Penny Opera and asked her.

www.ConfessionsofaPaparazzi.com

NJRae Profile Photo
NJRae
#74re: Ana Gasteyer Joins Broadway's Wicked for 13 Weeks, Starts Oct 10
Posted: 9/2/06 at 11:18am

Whoa, Hugh, do us a favor. Read this over:

"I can't wait to see Ana in Wicked,and glad to have confirmation of when after she told me she might, which I reported here back in April, when I saw her at the Stage Door of Three Penny Opera and asked her."

And go back and put it in english! I'm just kidding, I can figure out what you meant but sheesh! Not only a serious run on sentence but "confirmation of when after she told me she might" just plain doesn't make sense!

"I wrote a book: "How to Be Popular". Now I've put together a top ten list of how to help you: -Elphie, everyday... shower. I mean, who knows? Maybe some of that green is gonna come off! -Deodorant Elphie. No body likes a stinky witch! -I think we've covered the hair, we'll get to that. -Clean underclothes. That's all I'm gonna say. -Look at your posture. That's no way to be popular! -Bed made, room straightened. We've done that. -Colors blended. Oookay. -But the most important thing to have, to make yourself popular, is to keep your beautiful smile." ~Kristin Chenoweth in her last performance of the song "Popular"

Videos