News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/29/24

Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/29/24

Rob Profile Photo
Rob
#1Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/29/24
Posted: 10/1/24 at 3:17pm

Click below to access all the Broadway grosses from all the shows for the week ending 9/29/2024 in BroadwayWorld's grosses section.

Also, you will find information on each show's historical grosses, cumulative grosses and other statistics on how each show stacked up this week and in the past.

Click Here to Visit the Broadway Grosses...

Up for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: THE HILLS OF CALIFORNIA (12.4%), WICKED (7.3%), WATER FOR ELEPHANTS (5.6%), & JULIET (5.4%), THE ROOMMATE (4.7%), HELL'S KITCHEN (4.3%), THE BOOK OF MORMON (3.9%), BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE MUSICAL (3.7%), CHICAGO (3%), SUFFS (3%), THE NOTEBOOK (2.9%), THE GREAT GATSBY (2.9%), ALADDIN (2.3%), SIX (2.3%), CABARET AT THE KIT KAT CLUB (1.6%), THE OUTSIDERS (1.3%), HADESTOWN (1.3%), MOULIN ROUGE! THE MUSICAL (1%), HARRY POTTER AND THE CURSED CHILD (0.6%), STEREOPHONIC (0.3%), THE LION KING (0.3%),

Down for the week by attendance (% of capacity) was: OUR TOWN (-5.7%), ONCE UPON A MATTRESS (-3.1%), YELLOW FACE (-2.2%), MJ THE MUSICAL (-1.8%), JOB (-1.5%), HAMILTON (-0.3%),

Click Here to Visit the BroadwayWorld Grosses...

corninthesky Profile Photo
corninthesky
#2Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/29/24
Posted: 10/1/24 at 3:20pm

Cabaret under $1M….

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#3Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/29/24
Posted: 10/1/24 at 3:24pm

I called it when they were first announced for Broadway: Sunset and R + J will be ENORMOUS hits. Who out here plans to do a Romeo + Juliet & Juliet doubleheader?!

Remember that The Roommate had to cancel a few performances once Patti fell ill.

Better-than-expected start for Left on Tenth.

Suffs is reportedly planning to close January 19 and announce sometime in mid-November. 

Oh look, a bibu!

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#4Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/29/24
Posted: 10/1/24 at 3:25pm

corninthesky said: "Cabaret under $1M…."

I’m sure having another gala opening for Lambert and Cravalho wasn’t cheap either. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

lopside
#5Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/29/24
Posted: 10/1/24 at 3:26pm

corninthesky said: "Cabaret under $1M…."

I don't think they would have been close to the level they needed to be at, but they had a gala night for the new cast last week, so one performance was about 60% comps

chrishuyen
#6Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/29/24
Posted: 10/1/24 at 3:26pm

Left on Tenth did better than I would've expected in its first few performances (especially if it's extrapolated to an 8-show week).  Big numbers for both Romeo and Juliet and Sunset Boulevard but it's still really early in their runs so we'll see if they can keep it up (though just based on word of mouth from this board alone it seems like Sunset could really take off, R+J less so).

Still surprised that Back to the Future and Water for Elephants have not announced closing yet...

Ensemble1696584123
#7Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/29/24
Posted: 10/1/24 at 3:30pm

Nothing is going to happen to R+J. Most of their run is sold out. The Heartstopper + Zegler fans, plus some already viral clips will see it through the end of their run. Whether that audience actually enjoys what they go to watch, will be a different thing.

Sunset is on TKTS, as it was yesterday, and will be for all of this week, so the rush for the first preview had been different.

EDIT : R+J seems to have held back plenty of seats, because now I see availability for next month that I could have sworn wasn't there some days ago. Maybe they won't continue to do as well

Updated On: 10/1/24 at 03:30 PM

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#8Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/29/24
Posted: 10/1/24 at 3:33pm

Oh, wow. Those Back to the Future numbers are LOW. We must be expecting a closing in the near future, no?

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#9Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/29/24
Posted: 10/1/24 at 3:38pm

EDSOSLO858 said: "I called it when they were first announced for Broadway:SunsetandR + Jwill be ENORMOUS hits. Who out here plans to do aRomeo + Juliet &Juliet doubleheader?!"

I would wait a bit before declaring Sunset a massive hit. The first performance was completely sold at full price, but that is not the case for the rest of the run at the moment. Not by a long shot. I have faith that it'll become the show you have to see this season. But, it's not there there yet. 

lopside
#10Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/29/24
Posted: 10/1/24 at 3:44pm

jkcohen626 said: "EDSOSLO858 said: "I called it when they were first announced for Broadway:SunsetandR + Jwill be ENORMOUS hits. Who out here plans to do aRomeo + Juliet&Julietdoubleheader?!"

I would wait a bit before declaring Sunset a massive hit. The first performance was completely sold at full price, but that is not the case for the rest of the run at the moment. Not by a long shot. I have faith that it'll become the show you have to see this season. But, it's not there there yet.
"

Will Sunset get the reviews it needs to give some more lift (not as if that always counts, looking at Company, where even the Tony didn't do anything)? The couple of people who reviewed it in NY seemed to like it, but there were pretty notable London dissident critics. 

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#11Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/29/24
Posted: 10/1/24 at 3:55pm

I caught Sunset in London and adored it. I'll be seeing it here at least twice. But I have to say...I really don't know if it's going to land as well here as it did in the UK. I'm bracing for very divided opinions.

In other news, I wonder if the bad reviews will hurt McNeal or if it's critic-proof. Time will tell!

witchoftheeast2
#12Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/29/24
Posted: 10/1/24 at 3:57pm

Taking predictions as to what will shutter first:

Water for Elephants

Back to the Future

Six

&Juliet 

lopside
#13Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/29/24
Posted: 10/1/24 at 4:03pm

Sauja said: "I caught Sunset in London and adored it. I'll be seeing it here at least twice. But I have to say...I really don't know if it's going to land as well here as it did in the UK. I'm bracing for very divided opinions.

In other news, I wonder if the bad reviews will hurt McNeal or if it's critic-proof. Time will tell!
"

But that's the thing I'm getting at :  it wasn't universally loved in the UK, at least among the critics (though none were pans, but as per their own rating, 3 stars). They also had a much shorter run in London. 

pablitonizer
#14Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/29/24
Posted: 10/1/24 at 4:19pm

witchoftheeast2 said: "Taking predictions as to what will shutter first:

Water for Elephants

Back to the Future

Six

&Juliet
"

My prediction:

Water for Elephants

Back to the future

Suffs

&Juliet 

witchoftheeast2
#15Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/29/24
Posted: 10/1/24 at 4:22pm

pablitonizer said: "witchoftheeast2 said: "Taking predictions as to what will shutter first:

Water for Elephants

Back to the Future

Six

&Juliet
"

My prediction:

Water for Elephants

Back to the future

Suffs

&Juliet

"

&Juliet is prime for stunt casting so maybe they'll try that, if it fails they'll close in 2025

GottaGetAGimmick420
#16Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/29/24
Posted: 10/1/24 at 4:27pm

Six still not having a cast announcement and starting the student tix rush makes me think they only have one more rotation in them before they pack up.

BTTF and Suffs are my two 

I'm just here so I don't get fined

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#17Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/29/24
Posted: 10/1/24 at 4:56pm

SIX has already recouped and is a much cheaper show to run than most of these musicals. So while demand has clearly softened and it doesn't seemed destined to join the list of long running staples, it also doesn't seem like it's in imminent danger.

BTTF and Water for Elephants just aren't going to make it. Strange that closing announcements haven't been made yet. Perhaps they are waiting towards the end of this month when more tourists might be thinking about holiday travel plans?

Sad that Hills of California isn't doing more business. I thought it was wonderful. But it absolutely needs a new title. And the main image they are using in posters/print ads to sell the thing has nothing to do with the story (spoiler alert: they never go to a carnival and ride a rollercoaster!). There's always a certain market for family dramas, and maybe if they leaned into that instead of women in period dress riding a wooden coaster, they would see more results. We will see if the reviews pull any weight.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#18Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/29/24
Posted: 10/1/24 at 5:01pm

I wouldn't be shocked if in the coming weeks BTTF announced a closing in early Jan. It had its best business by far during the holidays last year and if its grosses are this soft now, it stands to reason they'll be even worse in the winter doldrums of the new year. Cash out and close on a high.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

witchoftheeast2
#19Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/29/24
Posted: 10/1/24 at 5:04pm

Kad said: "I wouldn't be shocked if in the coming weeks BTTF announced a closing in early Jan. It had its best business by far during the holidays last year and if its grosses are this soft now, it stands to reason they'll be even worse in the winter doldrums of the new year. Cash out and close on a high."

Any predictions for Six or &Juliet?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#20Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/29/24
Posted: 10/1/24 at 5:11pm

I'm not terribly worried about Six. It has substantially lower running costs than most shows and can weather rough patches more easily. It's probably fine for at least another year. I also could see a world in which it moves off-Broadway at some point and plays for years.

& Juliet, I'm not too sure about. It's recouped, which gives it breathing room. But the grosses have been on a stark downward trend. It'll definitely get a helpful bounce over the holidays and I would guess that'll help buoy it into the first half of 2025. But it does seem like they need to do something to get audiences engaged again, or at least bring it to a sustainable equilibrium.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

AKarp2013 Profile Photo
AKarp2013
#21Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/29/24
Posted: 10/1/24 at 5:18pm

My totally uniformed predictions:

Back to the Future -- January 12

Suffs -- January 19

I for one am surprised how well Gatsby has held up for September. It's below 1 million but still grossing decently and will most likely get a nice boost during the holiday season. Don't know what it's weekly running cost is but I wonder if they will make any attempt at big-name casting after Jeremy and Eva leave.

EDIT: apparently, Water for Elephants is closing up shop December 8.

Updated On: 10/1/24 at 05:18 PM

MayAudraBlessYou2 Profile Photo
MayAudraBlessYou2
#22Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/29/24
Posted: 10/1/24 at 5:19pm

Just got notified that Water for Elephants is closing December 8th. Expect outlets to pick up the press release any minute.

Updated On: 10/1/24 at 05:19 PM

chrishuyen
#23Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/29/24
Posted: 10/1/24 at 5:21pm

MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "Just got notified that Water for Elephants is closing December 8th. Expect outlets to pick up the press release any minute."

Weird that they wouldn't try to ride the holiday surge, it seems like it would be a good show for tourists with the circus spectacle but I guess there are other bigger name shows that tourists may be more interested in.

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#24Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/29/24
Posted: 10/1/24 at 5:22pm

MayAudraBlessYou2 said: "Just got notified that Water for Elephants is closing December 8th. Expect outlets to pick up the press release any minute."

Pre-Christmas?!?! That's surprising to me. Maybe they want to extend if demand picks up?

blaxx Profile Photo
blaxx
#25Broadway Grosses: Week Ending 9/29/24
Posted: 10/1/24 at 5:30pm

Sauja said: "Oh, wow. Those Back to the Future numbers are LOW. We must be expecting a closing in the near future, no?"

I see what you did there!

Listen, I don't take my clothes off for anyone, even if it is "artistic". - JANICE

Videos