Skip to main content
Shop Merch Add a Show Listing
My Shows
News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

DAMN YANKEES - 2027 Broadway revisal (Marquis) - Harris, Hough & Scott — Page 2

Welcome Guest. Please Login or Register.

#27

Re: DAMN YANKEES - 2027 Broadway revisal (Marquis) - Harris, Hough & Scott

fashionguru_23 said: "Can someone who is more in tune with the show, explain what needs to be updated?"

The literal answer is nothing. It was a fine show that didn't need any work done to it. However, a recent revival made Joe a Black man and thus touched on the integration of baseball (a genuinely big event marking progress in our society that does't get as much attention now as it used to because baseball isn't the national pastime anymore). This added a new level to the material that the audiences who saw it liked, and because the theater is one of the few places that actively pursues inclusivity in these awful times, likely it will be part of all revivals moving forward. But I'm also guessing that they felt some tweaking on the book and lyrics was still necessary to make the changes work more effectively. It was a fine show as it was, it has been given more relevance now.

Updated On: 9/29/26 at 11:11 AM

#29

Re: DAMN YANKEES - 2027 Broadway revisal (Marquis) - Harris, Hough & Scott

joevitus said: "fashionguru_23 said: "Can someone who is more in tune with the show, explain what needs to be updated?"

The literal answer is nothing. It wasa fine show that didn't need any work done to it. However, a recent revival made Joe a Black man and thus touchedon the integration of baseball (a genuinelybig event marking progress in our society that does't get as much attention now as it used to becausebaseball isn't the national pastime anymore). This added a new level to the material that the audiences who saw it liked, and because the theater is one of the few places that actively pursues inclusivity in these awful times, likely it will be part of all revivalsmoving forward. But I'm also guessing that they felt some tweaking on the book and lyrics was still necessary to make the changes work more effectively. It was a fine show as it was, it has been given more relevance now.
"

Thank you, because I saw a great production 4 years ago, and all they mentioned (although it was in small print on a credits page) that there was additional lyrics by Lynn Ahrens. I didn't really notice anything that anyone should/could clutch pearls at.

#33

Re: DAMN YANKEES - 2027 Broadway revisal (Marquis) - Harris, Hough & Scott

I’ve always felt there was a general clunkiness to Damn Yankees. It’s a fun show but not one of the great musicals.

Jack O’Brien revised the show for his production, and then there was a “Red Sox Version” adapted by Joe DiPietro 20 years ago that played venues like Goodspeed, North Shore, and Ogunquit and is now licensed. I’m sure the City Center production had at least a trim and a polish too. So given all that, it makes total sense to me that they would revise it for this revival (though I gather that musically it sounds quite traditional despite being set in the 2000s — right?)

Perhaps eventually one could choose between 3 different versions to license (the original, the Red Sox, and the 2027), similar to CABARET.

Updated On: 9/29/26 at 01:14 PM

#34

Re: DAMN YANKEES - 2027 Broadway revisal (Marquis) - Harris, Hough & Scott

The 1950’s libretto gives a lot of stage time to Lola despite her having little impact on the story. The 1994 revival cast recording suggests they pull back on her role in the second act and give Meg some more backbone. The new arrangement of Meg and Joe’s Near to You is terrific. While the new version of Two Lost Souls is a throwaway number. Not the 11’o clock piece it was in the film.


The final baseball game is also much more exciting in the 1994 version. The 50’s version had to keep Joes final decision and transformation off stage. While the 90’s one puts it center stage. “Change me back!!!” Gives Joe a conclusion to his arc. As fun as Lola and Applegate are, it’s Joes story.


threepanelmusicals.blogspot.com
#35

Re: DAMN YANKEES - 2027 Broadway revisal (Marquis) - Harris, Hough & Scott

Thank you, because I saw a great production 4 years ago, and all they mentioned (although it was in small print on a credits page) that there was additional lyrics by Lynn Ahrens. I didn't really notice anything that anyone should/could clutch pearls at.

Trust me, in this day and age there will be someone who finds some reason to clutch their pearls.

#37

Re: DAMN YANKEES - 2027 Broadway revisal (Marquis) - Harris, Hough & Scott

Maybe I just loved the Arena production too much to not understand what everyone is pearl clutching and complaining about it. I love the inclusion of the negro league into the book and think it makes for an incredible update. Rob McClure is going to Paddington anyway, so there's no reason to shed tears. Some of you take musical theater a little too seriously man... And this is coming from someone who has done the original book and knows how outdated it is... because I've done the show before.


I'm just here so I don't get fined
#39

Re: DAMN YANKEES - 2027 Broadway revisal (Marquis) - Harris, Hough & Scott

"The cast was good, but not exceptional. Lola wasn't seductive enough. Rob McClure was hampered by significant cuts to "Those Were the Good Old Days." The story revisions were fine, but the show seemed afraid of offending anyone. The Game is entirely about horny baseball players, but because that involved telling tales about near seductions, it was toned down. Good Old Days is all about wreaking evil and havoc, so we lose some of the verses (and one of the great rhymes in all musicals ---- cannibals munchin' a missionary luncheon --- is gone.)

A show that was never more than PG is now a G."

This is from someone who saw it in DC and posted on ATC. That is a clever line, I admit. I guess they cut it because it is perceived as insensitive to indigenous peoples.

#40

Re: DAMN YANKEES - 2027 Broadway revisal (Marquis) - Harris, Hough & Scott

MysteriousLady said: ""The cast was good, but not exceptional. Lola wasn't seductive enough. Rob McClure was hampered by significant cuts to "Those Were the Good Old Days." The story revisions were fine, but the show seemed afraid of offending anyone. The Game is entirely about horny baseball players, but because that involved telling tales about near seductions, it was toned down. Good Old Days is all about wreaking evil and havoc, so we lose some of the verses (and one of the great rhymes in all musicals ---- cannibals munchin' a missionary luncheon --- is gone.)

A show that was never more than PG is now a G."

This is from someone who saw it in DC and posted on ATC. That is a clever line, I admit. I guess they cut it because it is perceived as insensitive to indigenous peoples.
"



I THINK you are confusing the lyric "and scalping the settlers was the latest craze" with "cannibals minchin'...".

Either way, I'm betting that NPH has the clout to get most (if not all) of the song restored to its original glory.

#41

Re: DAMN YANKEES - 2027 Broadway revisal (Marquis) - Harris, Hough & Scott

I was told that the casting of Hough is both an elevating "find" and - informed by a caring friend - that she will prove a promotable aspect because she's got a huge Insta following. I supposed in today's commercial arena, the latter point is true. But as I opined, this feels more like a Weissler Roxie casting than a "get" for a show being retooled as a welcome reminting of the original. The role has always required a blend of terpsichorean skill and the mysteries of personality, dating to Verdon. A sturdy triple threat can meet the base line demands, but the character must make a strong impression as - to cite the film of the summer - a Circe-dash-Calypso of the ages. Who's also just a woman. I supposed Hough has the potential to surprise us. But she's the least intriguing element to me, a little too Wonder Bread. I'm in the minority.


"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
#43

Re: DAMN YANKEES - 2027 Broadway revisal (Marquis) - Harris, Hough & Scott

I'll be happier knowing who her standby is and hopefully they end up as an alternate doing Wednesday and Saturday matinees.
A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Latest Posts

BroadwayWorld TV


Ticket Central
Hot Show
Tickets From $58
Hot Show
Tickets From $80
Hot Show
Tickets From $67
Hot Show
Tickets From $59