News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!- Page 13

Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!

forgetmenotnyc Profile Photo
forgetmenotnyc
#300Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles
Posted: 6/22/23 at 5:11pm

I join the other comments here in regard to having been the orig. & now this one - highly enjoying this special musical both times.

I also, understand the comment about the audience being a little hyper - which really stood out in this show that doesn't go for big production numbers to scream about. But it wasn't just applause at end of numbers, it was laughter & other response that just seemed unfiltered & over the top, as though select people were just unwilling to restrain themselves in any way. Not sober & cool. Calling attention to themselves, ultimately, which is where that comment kinda came from, I think? All I could think was that the performers were probably surprised exactly what lines achieved audible response in a desire to predict what the next show would yield (but that I don't think will register that way since it was just very personal?) Anyhow, for what it's worth in trying to express this kinda thing. Ultimately, I love the special audience that Encores! attracts. Sanity in the audience will ultimately relax a bit I hope.

kdogg36 Profile Photo
kdogg36
#301Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/22/23 at 5:11pm

DCS said: "In Margaret's call home to her husband, she learns that he has made arrangements for Clara to be institutionalized for the rest of her life upon their return from the trip. Margaret is against this and sees the marriage as the only way to prevent Clara from basically being imprisoned. This was really not clear in the musical at all and I think it makes Margaret's decision more understandable."

Personally, I'm glad this isn't in the musical. I would rather Margaret come around to approving the marriage because she wants Clara to know love, not to avert calamity at home.

A Justified Bean Profile Photo
A Justified Bean
#302Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/22/23 at 5:37pm

Can anyone speak to seating for Light in the Piazza or NYCC in general? Im considering sitting in the rear balcony, but I'm curious if those seats are really difficult to see/hear from.

The slotted spoon can catch the potato.
Updated On: 6/22/23 at 05:37 PM

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#304Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/22/23 at 8:40pm

A Justified Bean said: "Can anyone speak to seating for Light in the Piazza or NYCC in general? Im considering sitting in the rear balcony, but I'm curious if those seats are really difficult to see/hear from."

I mean... you are up definitely up there... but I think that's also kinda part of the experience. The applause is some of loudest I've ever heard in theatre. I always feel like I'm at a real special event. I've also never had sound issues. 

bwayobsessed
#305Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/22/23 at 10:31pm

I saw it tonight knowing virtually nothing about the show. All of the performers deserve praise. Ruthie is a Queen and looks so good in that teal. Her singing about motherhood in act 2 really hit me. Both Clara and Fabrizio’s voices are truly stunning and gorgeous. The music beautiful. 

That said-I was sorta disappointed in the story. It feels like there’s a lot of events that I just didn’t fully buy. Fabrizio just turning up everywhere, quick turn to marriage, etc. I think it’s definitely about the magic of the light in the piazza and the enchantment of it. It’s almost fairytale. I’m not sure exactly what I’d change. Regardless the score really shines here.

Owen22
#306Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/22/23 at 11:00pm

ljay889 said: "A big rave from the Times "

Well, it may be a (deserved) rave, but that is one poorly written review! 

I was there tonight. It's a stunner of an Encores revival.  Everyone (including Gish who is to die for, despite what the above review says).  Ruthie was completely off book but for two scenes.  She must have been having problems specifically with "Dividing Day", somewhat odd because it's the show's only real "hit", because she did mess up the beginning and politely asked the conductor (and the audience) to start again and seemed to follow the score through most of the rest of the song.  But she was rewarded with an avalanche of applause at the end.  She is wonderful throughout, but I was unprepared for her direct addresses about being a mother, about her daughter, knowing what she, herself had been through. And when she sings the lament about Clara's accident, it was almost too personal a thing to witness.

Anna is a star, such a clear innocence to her soprano, my gosh!  And how did I not know that Michael "Billy Bigelow" Hayden was Margaret's husband Roy?  Simple but effective direction, but for a few weirdly stilted transitions.  I probably didn't need the Young Margaret/Young Roy ballet during the overture but I'm not mad at it.

There are few modern musical theatre classics.  This production proves "Light in the Piazza" is definitely one. Don't miss it.

Updated On: 6/22/23 at 11:00 PM

3NU Profile Photo
3NU
#307Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/22/23 at 11:10pm

A Justified Bean said: "Can anyone speak to seating for Light in the Piazza or NYCC in general? Im considering sitting in the rear balcony, but I'm curious if those seats are really difficult to see/hear from."

I've sat in the balcony many times, and I personally try to avoid sitting further back than Row F.  Beyond that row, it becomes increasingly challenging to make out facial expressions and diction. 

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#308Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/23/23 at 12:40am

ljay889 said: "A big rave from the Times "

This is so terribly written. I had so many moments reading it thinking, "And? How so? Go on? Care to explain that? No? Oh ok I guess that's just fact now." I'm not familiar with their work prior but this is just very poor writing.

Great show though!

VintageSnarker
#309Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/23/23 at 2:33am

BorisTomashevsky said: "Ivan Hernandez and the rest of the Italian family do provide a nice anchor of sorts despite an 80s robot dance interpretation of “Ayutami”. Andrea Burns wins the night with her characteristic zingers.

[...] The two and a half hours of boy and girl circling each other, will they/won’t they, is Mom okay?, the pony incident hovering like a phantom never defeated, wedding is on, wedding is off, Dad’s on his way, Oh look more cheating… like a beautiful bright terracotta black hole, took it all out of me and gave nothing back.
"

Very solid casting for Fabrizio's parents. They made the most out of those characters and the humor in the book.

While I think I had a more favorable view of the evening, I was also surprised at how thin the plot felt. The drama feels more intense and melodramatic listening to the album. Maybe if I'd had better seats I would have connected to the romance more but it felt like a fable... a fairytale that ended with a wedding and no sense of what happens after. It was very well-sung and I appreciated the extra lens added by the nontraditional casting but I don't think there was enough rehearsal time to really build deep characterization. Maybe I'm just old now and skeptical about young love and I'd feel the same way watching the pro-shot again, but this production just didn't provide much emotional punch for me outside of Margaret. They felt exuberant but not passionate. My mind kept drifting to other shows like Do I Hear a Waltz and The Bridges of Madison County. Also, most of the cast have strong voices and I enjoyed hearing the music live, but I was surprised at how much more... textured, the original cast's voices sounded, especially compared to the younger cast members. I'm still glad I saw it though and I wouldn't dissuade anyone else from going.  

To answer another question, yes, I think the 26 vs. 20 thing barely registers with how young they both look. Except for Margaret's inner turmoil, all the conflict felt light. Clara's tantrum at the kiss barely registered among her other meltdowns. I'm not sure if it was the pacing or needing more time to make choices about how characters reacted to each other. It's very well done but in terms of the depth of characterization and feeling, it did feel like a concert production to me. 

I thought the Linda Cho costumes were fantastic.

yyys
#310Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/23/23 at 2:40am

It's high up....I prefer to spend more money in the mezzanine.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#311Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/23/23 at 5:31am

Feel so lucky I chose this to close out this NY theatre trip I’ve been on this past week. I truly hope Ruthie has another opportunity to perform this role outside of this production, she was simply brilliant and her performance in this should studied for years to come.

Side note: I was seated right behind Michael Greif(at least during the first act, I’m assuming he found another seat on a lower level for the second act).

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 6/23/23 at 05:31 AM

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#312Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/23/23 at 9:17am

Re: NYCC’s balcony, I’ve sat up there for nearly every production of Encores in the $35 range and have never had a problem. I don’t mind sitting far away for concert presentations, even staged ones. The sound in there is always glorious. If you don’t mind missing facial expressions, it’s a more than great value.

A Justified Bean Profile Photo
A Justified Bean
#313Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/23/23 at 10:00am

Thank you everyone! I feel better knowing that we should be able to hear everything.  Looking forward to the show this weekend!

The slotted spoon can catch the potato.

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#314Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/23/23 at 10:50am

Too bad they did not extend it another week.

rattleNwoolypenguin
#315Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/23/23 at 2:20pm

It's such a beautiful show. And the music is so gorgeous you can hear Ravel and Debussy influence throughout.

My quibble is the lyrics sometimes.

I never fully believe Clara would have these observations in The Beauty is and Light in the Piazza. Especially when she speaks so simply in the dialogue, the lyrics have her sometimes too self aware. 

I also think there's a world where you could make this show one act.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#316Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/23/23 at 2:50pm

rattleNwoolypenguin said: "It's such a beautiful show. And the music is so gorgeous you can hear Ravel and Debussy influence throughout.

My quibble is the lyrics sometimes.

I never fully believe Clara would have these observations in The Beauty is and Light in the Piazza. Especially when she speaks so simply in the dialogue, the lyrics have her sometimes too self aware.

I also think there's a world where you could make this show one act.
"

I like to think Clara’s singing is her in natural age and not her mental age, if that makes sense.

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

rattleNwoolypenguin
#317Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/23/23 at 3:17pm

I like to think Clara’s singing is her in natural age and not her mental age, if that makes sense."

Sure but we don't ever establish those rules in the show with Clara.

They break the rules with Aiutami but it's clear they are doing that which is why that song works.

daniellesf
#318Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/23/23 at 9:35pm

I’m in Row C of the Mezzanine (not Grand Tier) - seat 10 or so on the side - too for back for this?

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#319Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/23/23 at 10:15pm

daniellesf said: "I’m in Row C of the Mezzanine (not Grand Tier) - seat 10 or so on the side - too for back for this?"

You will be fine.

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#320Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/24/23 at 12:50am

will any of these transfer to broadway?

Updated On: 6/24/23 at 12:50 AM

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#321Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/24/23 at 7:51am

A gorgeous gift of a production. Anna Zavelson is a revelation as Clara and no one should be surprised to see her working consistently in the next few years after she graduates UMich. James Gish is as charming as you could ask for in a Fabrizio, and a soaring voice to match.

Ruthie Ann Miles, I’m less ecstatic about. Her acting was wonderful and a vastly different take on Margaret than Victoria Clark’s (in a good way). But she stumbled over lines a few times, and didn’t always match the sweep of the score. At times, it felt like her mic was dialed all the way up just to give it the requisite power, particularly during “Fable”. I left feeling the show belongs to Clara and Fabrizio, where I’ve always felt it was Margaret’s before.

The rest of the cast playing the Nacarelli’s were uniformly excellent. Shereen Ahmed doesn’t quite hit the stratosphere like Sarah Uriarte Berry on the recordings, at one point literally pointing to the note in “Aiutami,” but still makes for an exciting Franca.

If ever there was an Encores production to preserve in a recording, it’s this one. The orchestra sounds exceptional playing one of the best scores of this century so far, the cast is a knockout, and lord knows we’ve gotten lesser shows recorded in the past. The OBCR is definitive, but I would happily add this to my rotation.

Dirty Rotten Scoundrel Profile Photo
Dirty Rotten Scoundrel
#322Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/24/23 at 8:33am

A gorgeous production. This is one whose cast recording I fell in love with but regrettably never got to see live. We should all be prepared - and excited - to see the name Anna Zavelson a lot more in the future. 

Edit: Someone asked earlier and yes, they perform the overture in full. 

Updated On: 6/24/23 at 08:33 AM

Mark Waltz Profile Photo
Mark Waltz
#323Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/24/23 at 9:08am

Hoping "Light" does transfer. I thought initially, "Too soon?" when I heard they were doing it, but it has been 18 years. People born when it played at Lincoln Center are now adults. Both productions are excellent, but the small twist of this really works, and Anna Zavelson as Clara is a definite find. That big voice coming from a small frame, yet not coming off like a "greedy songbird" (to paraphrase "Amadeus"Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!. Hoping this is the "Into the Woods"/"Parade" of later this Broadway season. I hope Victoria Clark has a chance to see it. Maybe Victoria, Ruth or Anna will sing a song from it honoring Renee Fleming (who played Margaret fairly recently) at the Kennedy Center Honors. 

One Grecian Ern
Updated On: 6/24/23 at 09:08 AM

yyys
#324Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/24/23 at 9:33am

Is the running time 2 hr 30 or 2 hr 15?  Thanks!

Videos