News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!- Page 14

Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!

theatergoer3
#325Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/24/23 at 10:42am

yyys said: "Is the running time 2 hr 30 or 2 hr 15? Thanks!"

On Thursday, it let out at 9:50 so right in the middle at 2:20.

The score sounded gorgeous as did the voices. Zavelson is going to be a name. And Miles would easily be in awards consideration if this transferred. 

The title song and Fable especially sounded incredible. 

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#326Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/24/23 at 11:27am

To go back a bit, I'm going to be the contrarian saying that I love seeing Encores! from the Balcony, especially (not in the case of this show, looks like) when it's not very crowded. The sound is impeccable and you can see the whole stage from any seat. It's far away, sure, but there's something about the scale of that house combined with the nostalgia for classic Broadway that really feels like a time machine, it's very special, and I love having a sense of the whole audience enjoying it. The visual aspect of these concert productions are still minimal anyway, although they sets have gotten more elaborate. To be fair, my eyes are pretty good. But especially at the $35 (was $25 for the longest) price point, you're paying a fraction of what the orchestra and mezz pay for an experience that I think I actually prefer. 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#327Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/24/23 at 12:45pm

I always bring my small set of binoculars to any theatre when I'm sitting higher up.  You don't have to use them constantly,  but it is a nice option to see facial expressions better.

ColorTheHours048 said: "Re: NYCC’s balcony, I’ve sat up there for nearly every production of Encores in the $35 range and have never had a problem. I don’t mind sitting far away for concert presentations, even staged ones. The sound in there is always glorious. If you don’t mind missing facial expressions, it’s a more than great value."

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#328Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/24/23 at 2:30pm

It was about 2:20. The show itself ran exactly 2 hours (1:10 act one, 50 min act 2) with a classic 5 min delayed start + 15 min intermission.

steve.sometime
#329Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/24/23 at 2:35pm

-- deleted --

Updated On: 6/25/23 at 02:35 PM

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#330Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/24/23 at 2:46pm

Mark Waltz said: "Hoping "Light" does transfer. I thought initially, "Too soon?" when I heard they were doing it, but it has been 18 years."

I don't think recency would have any impact on a transfer, it's a simple matter of name value & star power, which this revival lacks. This is the perfect cast for a one-week run, and it simply wouldn't sell on Broadway. Unless a nonprofit were to do it, or a deep-pocketed commercial producer writing the check themself and willing to take a bath. WOODS and PARADE do not move without Bareilles and Platt.

I had a transcendant evening, and Anna Zavelson & James Gish were the real stars of the production for me.

Ruthie's acting is superb (that "Beauty Is" reprise, my god), but I actually found her to be a little lacking in the vocal department. These songs do not fit her like a glove. That doesn't really matter, but she's my only quibble of a vocally-excellent production. I actually started to wonder if she's sick or vocally strained.

I also found the staging to be pretty stagnant. This production worked in spite of Chay Yew's direction, whereas the original was elevated because of Sher's work. It's a tricky book & tonally challenging.

Updated On: 6/24/23 at 02:46 PM

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#331Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/24/23 at 4:30pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "Mark Waltz said: "Hoping "Light" does transfer. I thought initially, "Too soon?" when I heard they were doing it, but it has been 18 years."

I don't think recency would have any impact on a transfer, it's a simple matter of name value & star power, which this revival lacks. This is the perfect cast for a one-week run, and it simply wouldn't sell on Broadway. Unless a nonprofit were to do it, or a deep-pocketed commercial producer writing the check themself and willing to take a bath. WOODS and PARADE do not move without Bareilles and Platt.

I had a transcendant evening, and Anna Zavelson & James Gish were the real stars of the production for me.

Ruthie's acting is superb (that "Beauty Is" reprise, my god), but I actually found her to be a little lacking in the vocal department. These songs do not fit her like a glove. That doesn't really matter, but she's my only quibble of a vocally-excellent production. I actually started to wonder if she's sick or vocally strained.

I also found the staging to be pretty stagnant. This production worked in spite of Chay Yew's direction, whereas the original was elevated because of Sher's work. It's a tricky book & tonally challenging.
"

Just got out of the matinee. It was my first exposure to the show other than the OBCR, and I was impressed. The three leads blew me away equally. I hope there’s more life to this production, somehow. 

bwayobsessed
#332Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/24/23 at 5:05pm

After listening to the OBCR several times this week I feel very strongly that Gish sings Morrison out of the water. And honestly I think I prefer Anna to Kelli…

jkcohen626 Profile Photo
jkcohen626
#333Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/24/23 at 6:01pm

2:15. 

Tenor8674
#334Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/24/23 at 6:01pm

Just saw the matinee.  It's a superb production. 

ErmengardeStopSniveling
#335Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/24/23 at 7:23pm

bwayobsessed said: "After listening to the OBCR several times this week I feel very strongly that Gish sings Morrison out of the water. And honestly I think I prefer Anna to Kelli…"

Most people sing Morrison out of the water. He strains on those top notes. I even prefer Aaron Lazar from the filmed recording. 

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#336Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/24/23 at 7:33pm

bwayobsessed said: "After listening to the OBCR several times this week I feel very strongly that Gish sings Morrison out of the water. And honestly I think I prefer Anna to Kelli…"

I went in with low expectations from Gish (maybe I read poor reviews about him in WICKED), but he was wonderful in Piazza! I was impressed. 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#337Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/24/23 at 8:14pm

I was at the matinee, and felt transported. From the first notes of the harp in the overture, thru the evocative midcentury Italian signatures, to the standalone numbers we all love, the score is rapturously presented. I don't understand the reservations about the Miles vocals; to my ears, she is a discerning singing actor who saves her biggest effects for the moments requiring them -- she eschews volume for volume sake -- and "Fable" is perfectly rendered as the cathartic conclusion. But I especially appreciated her well-considered "Dividing Day," which has a subtle sense of exploration; this Margaret figures it all out as she sings. Miles is a thoughtful singing actor (listen again to the way she explains the King in "Something Wonderful."Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER! And as many have noted, the reprise of "The Beauty Is" offers something beyond interpretation. It's a gorgeous production, the airy fluidity of Chay Yew's staging making the story surprisingly intimate. Certainly for that house. My hope: that it might return to a B'way house for 10 weeks next summer when the rising star is available again, between years at the University of Michigan. Probably the only hope.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#338Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/24/23 at 9:13pm

It’s a pleasant show. But misses the emotional punch it could have. Guettel’s music is just so searching with not much resolution. Melodies in search of a song. The MD even said as much in the talk-back this afternoon (as if that was a good thing). He said that Guettel likes his phrases not to resolve - as if they are always searching (he used some other word).  Hard on an audience.  To me it all feels like background music for a movie.  Constantly indicating emotion but never resolving...always filling in.  

Miles was fine but nothing special - and maybe that is the character, too. Straining on some of the top notes. Not fatal but a bit underwhelming. But I must admit that the moment when she sings about her daughter’s accident was one of the most riveting, emotional stage moments I’ve ever seen.

Zavelson was also fine, if a bit screechy. And, acting-wise, nothing special.  Didn’t see what Fabrizio saw in her to fall so heavily, so fast. As for Gish:  serviceable.  Also losing top notes. Maybe it was the matinee lack of warmup. 

Loved Ahmed and Cyrus. She was the tour Eliza and he just graduated Juilliard. Solid. 

and so nice to see Michael Hayden again. He was my favorite Franklin Shepard. 

After this and Days Of Wine And Roses - can we please go back to the tuneful Guettel of Floyd Collins?  I’ll drink to that!  

Updated On: 6/24/23 at 09:13 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#339Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/24/23 at 9:24pm

I've always found this score to be quite sweeping and tuneful. "Say It Somehow" and "Love to Me" are practically dripping in sugar, they are so romantic and tuneful. Sure, there's some tough and complex moments musically, but I think it's Guettel's most accessible score. 

Can't wait to see it tomorrow. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#340Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/24/23 at 9:57pm

Had a voice teacher who always called it lazy to have people sing on “ahs” instead of giving them words to sing and now I can’t unhear it. But I do think it’s a gorgeous show. I just don’t know that we can top the LCT production. So sweeping and gorgeous. Wish they’d produce some new gorgeous musicals. 

Skip23 Profile Photo
Skip23
#341Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/24/23 at 10:01pm

RippedMan said: "Had a voice teacher who always called it lazy to have people sing on “ahs” instead of giving them words to sing and now I can’t unhear it. But I do think it’s a gorgeous show. I just don’t know that we can top the LCT production. So sweeping and gorgeous. Wish they’d produce some new gorgeous musicals."

Really...how do you top Victoria Clark (perfection in the role) and Kelli O'Hara (an angel on earth)?   

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#342Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/24/23 at 10:27pm

Melodies in search of a song. The MD even said as much in the talk-back this afternoon (as if that was a good thing). He said that Guettel likes his phrases not to resolve - as if they are always searching (he used some other word).  Hard on an audience…”

Dividing Day, Say it Somehow, Fable, the title song, surely offer emotional resolution. I hear complexity but atop satisfying shape. Craft. These are not ALW tunes, yet they deliver on promises; they  rise, crescendo, resolve. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

CoffeeBreak Profile Photo
CoffeeBreak
#343Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/25/23 at 12:06am

"

ALL OF THIS IS SPOT. ON. 

The stagnant circular staging, unnecessary (although lovely) ballet, etc.   The Gish and Zavelson are superb vocally - and the stars in this one.  Miles acting was great tonight but vocally felt strained and shrill mostly in act 2.  Missed Victoria's much stronger voice but Miles makes the character her own.  Show mostly sounds great.

The staging & direction are missing the magic of the original even if a "concert".          - ensemble rolls out another piece of furniture or column-.

3NU Profile Photo
3NU
#344Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/25/23 at 12:59am

I was at tonight's performace. What a truly special evening; it's been a while since I felt so transported by a piece of theater.  All the actors are bringing such honesty to their roles that the piece really comes alive. Some thoughts that came to mind:

• My previous exposure to this musical was simply through the cast recording and the Live from Lincoln Center PBS broadcast. While I knew that a live performance would be special, I underestimated how glorious the score would sound in person, especially in the hands of such capable performers.

• Ruthie, Anna, and James -- all lovely in voice -- bring a different sound to the musical that helps it feel more "modern" (not the right word, but nothing better is coming to mind). For instance, James's tenor reminded me a lot of Derek Klena, a vocal quality quite different from that of Matthew Morrison and Aaron Lazar -- and one that may be more "familiar to the ear" today than it would have been 18 years ago. 

• Having been raised in an Asian culture, I was curious to see what specific influences I might discern from Ruthie's performance, so frequently mentioned in the press leadup to this production. Apart from the Van Johnson bit, the differences I saw were quite subtle. For instance, I felt that Ruthie's vocal performance was not nearly as evocative as Victoria Clark's, but her understated characterization of Margaret felt like a very Asian approach to the character (not the best explanation, I know... it's hard to describe). Also, her phone confrontation with Roy felt compelling, given the inherent power dynamics of race and gender at play (particularly considering the time setting of the story).

• I'm curious what this production would have been like if it had another 3 days of rehearsal.  It's nearly all there -- and what is there is simply marvelous (for instance, as others have mentioned, Ruthie's Beauty Is Reprise is heartwrenchingly realized) -- but there are small things here and there that one could nitpick.  I noticed some flubbed lines and Ruthie was still on book tonight for Dividing Day, wrestling through it a bit (rushing certain parts, accidentally singing the second verse twice).  Still, not enough to take away from my sheer enjoyment of the show.

Very excited for any of you who have tickets for the remainder of the run to see it!

Updated On: 6/25/23 at 12:59 AM

Broadway Flash Profile Photo
Broadway Flash
#345Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/25/23 at 1:16am

the score is so bland and beige.  it was okay.  

pagereynolds
#346Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/25/23 at 10:47am

Auggie27 said: "I was at the matinee, and felt transported. From the first notes of the harp in the overture, thru the evocative midcentury Italian signatures, to the standalone numbers we all love, the score is rapturously presented. I don't understand the reservations about the Miles vocals; to my ears, she is a discerning singing actor who saves her biggest effects for the moments requiring them -- she eschews volume for volume sake -- and "Fable" is perfectly rendered as the cathartic conclusion. But I especially appreciated her well-considered "Dividing Day," which has a subtle sense of exploration; this Margaret figures it all out as she sings. Miles is a thoughtful singing actor (listen again to the way she explains the King in "Something Wonderful."Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER! And as many have noted, the reprise of "The Beauty Is" offers something beyond interpretation. It's a gorgeous production, the airy fluidity of Chay Yew's staging making the story surprisingly intimate. Certainly for that house. My hope: that it might return to a B'way house for 10 weeks next summer when the rising star is available again, between years at the University of Michigan. Probably the only hope."

I assume that if transferring was an option that a starring role on Broadway would take precedence to your sophomore year of college.

singer234
#347Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/25/23 at 12:01pm

Reminds me of Taylor Louderman. I don’t think she even finished sophomore year at Michigan before Bring It On snatched her up and the rest is history. I’d be surprised if Anna doesn’t continue working while completing her studies somehow.

pagereynolds
#348Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/25/23 at 12:04pm

singer234 said: "Reminds me of Taylor Louderman. I don’t think she even finished sophomore year at Michigan before Bring It On snatched her up and the rest is history. I’d be surprised if Anna doesn’t continue working while completing her studies somehow."

Michaela Diamond as well, was headed to school when she was cast in the Cher Show.

singer234
#349Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/25/23 at 12:07pm

Sometimes you’re so good that New York demands you stay!

Videos