News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!- Page 12

Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#275Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/21/23 at 10:19pm

uncageg said: "Just got my seat for The Light in the Piazza. Still some good seats left. The website is still acting weird."

Well, was supposed to go this Sunday afternoon. My purchase was confirmed and like an idiot I didn't pay attention to my e-mails for a confirmation. (I didn't get and immediate confirmation) Should have because the site was acting up. Just went into my NYCC account  and no ticket. However it looks like they took out the amount for my ticket for this and The National Ballet of Canada performance I attended. Not happy. Calling them in the morning.

Just give the world Love.
Updated On: 6/21/23 at 10:19 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#276Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/21/23 at 10:20pm

I’m sorry you didn’t like it. I listen to this score a lot but had forgotten how much the production as a whole, moves me. I think it’s a genius piece of theater and this is a first class revival that I’m so lucky to have gotten to see. 

EvanHansen
#277Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/21/23 at 10:28pm

A star is born in Anna Zavelson, making a smashing New York debut as Clara. 

Sauja Profile Photo
Sauja
#278Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/21/23 at 10:49pm

Zavelson is a revelation, and the whole evening was glorious. I didn’t know the show so can’t speak to how it compares to the original, but wow, I adored it.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#279Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/21/23 at 10:51pm

The audience, with a severe case of premature ovation, couldn’t bear to let the orchestra finish its last phrase and had to steal the moment for themselves rather than play their character and feel the timing. That was a shame.

What is with this trend with audiences? Seems to be particularly evident with Encores! productions, of late. 

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#280Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/21/23 at 11:35pm

I heard it was sold out. Impressive for a Wednesday and first night of an Encore’s run. Lin Manuel Miranda was at the dress as well as the composer.

Updated On: 6/22/23 at 11:35 PM

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#281Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/21/23 at 11:36pm

Jordan Catalano said: "There are no words in the English language to describe how perfect that was tonight."

Agree 100% Ruthie at the curtain call had me shedding a few tears.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#282Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/21/23 at 11:43pm

WiCkEDrOcKS said: "The audience, with a severe case of premature ovation, couldn’t bear to let the orchestra finish its last phrase and had to steal the moment for themselves rather than play their character and feel the timing. That was a shame.

What is with this trend with audiences? Seems to be particularly evident with Encores! productions, of late.
"

I guess it might be just me but having been going to Encores since the first season I think the audience is one of the best in theatre. They show appreciation as a whole but the minute the clapping stops there is silence in the theatre.

as far as the audience stealing a moment for themselves is ridiculous.

"I hope your Fanny is bigger than my Peter." Mary Martin to Ezio Pinza opening night of Fanny.

Voter
#283Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/21/23 at 11:57pm

Jordan Fisher was at tonight’s performance. He was sitting in the front of the center mezzanine 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#284Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/22/23 at 12:06am

Are they using the truncated Overture from Broadway or the full version heard on the cast recording? It would be nice to hear the full thing at Encores. 

Can’t wait to see this on Sunday. I loved the original production, and the score is divine. 

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#285Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/22/23 at 12:17am

Going Saturday afternoon and twice as eager since seeing clips. 

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

wish i were here2 Profile Photo
wish i were here2
#286Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/22/23 at 1:02am

Saw the first performance it was wonderful! Ruthie is a revelation, every single one of her scenes and songs were wonderfully acted and beautifully sung. I will say considering everything that happened in Ruthie’s life in 2018, sitting there tonight listening to her sing “The Beauty Is (Reprise)” and truly listening to every single lyric, that truly struck a chord in me. 

The rest of the cast is marvelous. Anna Zavelson is a star on the rise! We have to keep an eye on her, she is for sure going places! 

All in all, this show will always have a special place in my heart and I’m so glad we all were lucky to have the opportunity to revisit it now. Hopefully, we get a full lush revival sooner rather than later, until then, go see this production before it closes, you won’t be disappointed!

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#287Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/22/23 at 1:12am

Cannot get over Anna Zavelson‘s voice. Just constant chills any time she sang. So insanely gorgeous. I’m an instant fan.

Glad I was finally able to see this show. Margaret is such a complex character. I’m such a huge Ruthie fan but I feel like Act 1 was a miss for her. She improved in Act 2 when the character takes off past “I’m going to protect my daughter”.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

I had a very complex debrief about the show afterwards with my friends. Some were horrified Margaret was willing to basically dowery her daughter away for $15k and take the responsibility off her hands. Others were more invested in the thought that she gives Clara a chance at a love that she was never able to gave. Another thought the pony incident was just a delusion and excuse made up by Margaret to justify staying with her husband. What makes the show so wonderful is that all are true. Margaret has sacrificed so much of her life to keep Clara safe, and when she sees an opportunity for her to be happy and be in a stable family outside herself, she is willing to give Clara up for her own chance at self awakening. 

I think any show where critiques dive directly into theatric nuance instead of nitpicking technical aspects is a success. Bravo. I’ll be gushing about this for a while.

Updated On: 6/22/23 at 01:12 AM

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#288Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/22/23 at 7:11am

I'm seeing it Sunday really excited from the clips that I've seen, especially with Anna's voice. Just a quick question for those who have seen it. Do you think that she reads too young since the revelation is that she's 26 years old, That's the one thing that stuck out to me from the clips, but to be honest I really don't care because her voice is marvelous. My brain is just thinking if this transferred to a full revival.

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

Melissa25 Profile Photo
Melissa25
#289Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/22/23 at 7:15am

Eighteen years ago this show haunted me in a good way at the Beaumont.  I am so pleased that I was able to revisit this masterpiece on opening night at City Center.  Anna Zavelson and James D. Gish are just breathtaking. Literally.  Such power and chemistry.  Ruthie was very good as Margaret but have to admit that I kept hearing Vicky in my head.  Ivan Hernandez and Shereen Ahmed were also quite good in supporting roles.  Another home run for City Center. Don’t miss this one.

Owen22
#290Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/22/23 at 11:21am

E.Davis said: "I'm seeing it Sunday really excited from the clips that I've seen, especially with Anna's voice. Just a quick question for those who have seen it. Do you think that she reads too young since the revelation is that she's 26 years old, That's the one thing that stuck out to me from the clips, but to be honest I really don't care because her voice is marvelous. My brain is just thinking if this transferred to a full revival."

I think the take in the original was she had remained such an innocent in the year's since her accident, the loss of any of the minor traumas and worries through her teen and early twenties, left her looking much younger than the normal 26 year old.

I'm seeing it tonight and am very excited!!

alexidarling15
#291Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/22/23 at 11:51am

I loved last night's performance. So gorgeous on all levels. Ruthie is always exceptional and Anna totally matched her on all levels! She's an incredible find. Even the minor characters were all really good, some scene-stealing from Andrea Burns and Shereen Ahmed and Michael Hayden. The costumes and set, for what they were (bare-bones), were also lovely to look at.

it's a bit of a a sleepy, languorous musical, which is not going to appeal to everyone. I also read it much differently than I did when I saw the original on broadway - now I find it a moving portrait of a mother trying to do what's best for her daughter. Two decades ago I would have said it was about an overbearing mother, ha! I do have to say I didn't pick up on a lot of the immigrant subtext that was detailed in the NYT story, but that is challenging to do without changing the script. 

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#292Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/22/23 at 12:25pm

Got in touch with NYCC a short while ago and, thank goodness, my ticket is at the box office. I just didn't get a confirmation or the show added to my account listing of shows. So seeing it on Sunday!

Just give the world Love.

bekk99 Profile Photo
bekk99
#293Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/22/23 at 2:11pm

I got the email from City Center for tonight (Thursday) indicating that patrons MUST be in line by 7 for the 7:30 curtain. I am assuming this is hyperbole, but can anyone who has gone already speak to it?

Huss417 Profile Photo
Huss417
#294Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/22/23 at 2:38pm

bekk99 said: "I got the email from City Center for tonight (Thursday) indicating that patrons MUST be in line by 7 for the 7:30 curtain. I am assuming this is hyperbole, but can anyone who has gone already speak to it?"

I got there last night at 7:15PM. No issue.

alexidarling15
#295Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/22/23 at 3:04pm

I walked in the front door somewhere in the 7:15/20 range (I was waiting for a friend) and also no issue. Many people must be heeding the instructions, though, because there was no wait to get in and the vast majority of the audience seemed to be seated already. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#296Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/22/23 at 3:08pm

bekk99 said: "I got the email from City Center for tonight (Thursday) indicating that patrons MUST be in line by 7 for the 7:30 curtain. I am assuming this is hyperbole, but can anyone who has gone already speak to it?"

They just don't want late comers. But, there will always be people that hit traffic and/or don't plan accordingly. I come in to all shows 5 minutes until curtain (aisle seat always) and there has never been an issue. 

DCS
#297Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/22/23 at 4:04pm

raddersons said: "Cannot get overAnna Zavelson‘s voice. Just constant chills any time she sang. So insanely gorgeous. I’m an instant fan.

Glad I was finally able to see this show. Margaret is such a complex character. I’m such a huge Ruthie fan but I feel like Act 1 was a miss for her. She improved in Act 2 when the character takes off past “I’m going to protect my daughter”.

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content
I had a very complex debrief about the show afterwards with my friends. Some were horrified Margaret was willing to basically dowery her daughter away for $15k and take the responsibility off her hands. Others were more invested in the thought that she gives Clara a chance at a love that she was never able to gave. Another thought the pony incident was just a delusion and excuse made up by Margaret to justify staying with her husband. What makes the show so wonderful is that all are true. Margaret has sacrificed so much of her life to keep Clara safe, and when she sees an opportunity for her to be happy and be in a stable family outside herself, she is willing to give Clara up for her own chance at self awakening.

I think any show where critiques dive directly into theatric nuance instead of nitpicking technical aspects is a success. Bravo. I’ll be gushing about this for a while."

I saw the show in its original production and loved it.  I had never read the original book, but I was very familiar with the 1962 film version starring Olivia de Havilland and was bit baffled that the musical omitted what I felt was an essential plot point which better explains Margaret's ultimate motivation for agreeing to the marriage. In Margaret's call home to her husband, she learns that he has made arrangements for Clara to be institutionalized for the rest of her life upon their return from the trip.  Margaret is against this and sees the marriage as the only way to prevent Clara from basically being imprisoned. This was really not clear in the musical at all and I think it makes Margaret's decision more understandable.

Updated On: 6/22/23 at 04:04 PM

QueenAlice Profile Photo
QueenAlice
#298Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/22/23 at 4:36pm

I believe Roy's intention to institutionalize Clara upon her return from Italy is a detail exclusive to the film. If so, it might not have been a plot point Guettel could include in his adaptation of the novella.

“I knew who I was this morning, but I've changed a few times since then.”

MarilynMonroeSmash Profile Photo
MarilynMonroeSmash
#299Encores! 2023: LIGHT IN THE PIAZZA with Ruthie Ann Miles, DEAR WORLD with Donna Murphy, and OLIVER!
Posted: 6/22/23 at 5:08pm

I’ve read the novella and I don’t believe that’s an original part of the plot. I believe it’s exclusive to the film. It seems like a plot point added by executives to give more of a concrete explanation for Margaret’s choices.

Videos