News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

GROUNDHOG DAY Previews

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#400GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/13/17 at 3:13pm

"And the orchestrations are epic and fill the entire theatre in energy."

This reminds me - the orchestrations are not epic at all (10 players + 2 synths), but the amplification is. And Minchin has written several songs in which two or more people are singing different things at the same time - things that have not been previously sung alone, so that most audience members will hear nothing but a cacophony, or perhaps a few isolated words here and there; and due to the high amplification, there's no way to tell where any voices are coming from during these (many) cacophonous moments.

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#401GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/13/17 at 3:38pm

newintown said: ""And the orchestrations are epic and fill the entire theatre in energy."

This reminds me - the orchestrations are not epic at all (10 players + 2 synths), but the amplification is. And Minchin has written several songs in which two or more people are singing different things at the same time - things that have not been previously sung alone, so that most audience members will hear nothing but a cacophony, or perhaps a few isolated words here and there; and due to the high amplification, there's no way to tell where any voices are coming from during these (many) cacophonous moments.

"

I don't even know what that means, but I thought they were epic! Especially in the opening, Hope, and Seeing You.

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#402GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/13/17 at 3:58pm

Newintown, you summed up my thoughts exactly and more eloquently then just saying it was "eh...sorta meh."

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#403GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/13/17 at 10:20pm

I loved it!! I went only because I know Karl and two other cast members. However, I didn't expect to love it so much. I even thought I'd leave at intermissions but no way. Andy is a pretty big broadway star now. I met him during Altar Boyz and saw something special. He nailed this show. He's got it all. Excellent strong voice, great with comedy as well as drama. (in great shape too!) There wasn't a dull moment. The sets were great and there were some really astonishing special effects. Lots of them. I hope the show turns out to be a hit.

Loved most of the songs. Would probably see it again.

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

JustAnotherNewYorker
#404GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/13/17 at 11:43pm

Another tech hold tonight. They are still having problems with "Nobody Cares" and other high-motion scenes

Opening is Monday

Updated On: 4/14/17 at 11:43 PM

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#405GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/14/17 at 12:09am

They also held on Wednesday evening 4/12 right after "Playing Nancy."

Such a shame the technology isn't cooperating. No clue how reviewers will react towards it if it happens on a press night.

Golenboybway
#406GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/14/17 at 1:12am

I've seen the show twice so far and both times it stopped during "Nobody Cares" I also believe Ben Brantley was there this evening. I think even though it stinks that they are having these technical issues it still works when they come back from it and you see the number again Atleast that's how it was in both my cases. It works in real Groundhog Day fashion. 

remark
#407GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/14/17 at 5:56am

newintown said: "...And Minchin has written several songs in which two or more people are singing different things at the same time..."

You say that like its never been done before and bad thing. Its been a technique since early days of opera. Many people singing different line simultaneously, really hightens emotion or tension in a scene. Some really effective use in Prima Donna and The final Lair of Phantom.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#408GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/14/17 at 7:02am

It's been done BEFORE?!?!?!? No!!!!!

Yes, of course we all know it's been done before. (I'm not sure where you got the idea that I imply otherwise...) Lots of composers and lyricists like to show that they can write contrapuntally.

However, I would certainly avoid comparing opera (or shows like Phantom of the Opera), where the words don't much matter, to a show like Groundhog Day, where the lyrics do matter, moving the story forward and enlightening character.

Capeguy Profile Photo
Capeguy
#409GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/14/17 at 8:42am

I was there last night and I think the issue is the amplification. During the group numbers, I often couldn't understand the lyrics. Maybe it was my mezzanine seat???

rebeccmam31
#410GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/14/17 at 8:58am

Capeguy said: "I was there last night and I think the issue is the amplification. During the group numbers, I often couldn't understand the lyrics. Maybe it was my mezzanine seat???"

I had orchestra seats and had difficulty discerning many of the lyrics (and I'm one who is inclined to really listen to lyrics), so I don't think it's a seating issue.  When I could make out lyrics, they seemed pretty smart, but I often couldn't discern them. Overall, this show was not for me. I just couldn't warm to it at all.

remark
#411GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/14/17 at 9:19am

newintown said: "It's been done BEFORE?!?!?!? No!!!!!

Yes, of course we all know it's been done before. (I'm not sure where you got the idea that I imply otherwise...) Lots of composers and lyricists like to show that they can write contrapuntally.

However, I would certainly avoid comparing opera (or shows like Phantom of the Opera), where the words don't much matter, to a show like Groundhog Day, where the lyrics do matter, moving the story forward and enlightening character.

"

Trying to have a grown up discussion here. Easy on the sarcasm.

Updated On: 4/14/17 at 09:19 AM

neonlightsxo
#412GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/14/17 at 9:30am

It's sort of ridiculous, IMO, that they can't get these tech issues under control at this point. It has been multiple weeks of previews. People are paying full price for a show they can't adequately execute. If the tech isn't cooperating, the tech needs to be adjusted so it can work every night, not just sometimes.

ZellMorrowsPledge
#413GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/14/17 at 9:31am

I fortunately had no technical difficulties during my show. I wonder why those turntables keep malfunctioning 

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#414GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/14/17 at 9:34am

Wait, the tech is just multiple turntables? How in the world can't they get them to work, especially since this thing has already had a full production? 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

PeterJCasey
#415GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/14/17 at 6:10pm

"How in the world can't they get them to work, especially since this thing has already had a full production?"

Probably the conversion from metric to imperial.

canadian fan
#416GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/14/17 at 6:54pm

maybe the flux capacitor needs updating?

mmFan Profile Photo
mmFan
#417GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/14/17 at 7:00pm

Just bought to tickets for a couple weeks from now. In earlier posts it says that the musical is 3hrs long. I know it's in preview mode so just wondering if this is still the case?

ZellMorrowsPledge
#418GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/14/17 at 7:47pm

mmFan said: "Just bought to tickets for a couple weeks from now.  In earlier posts it says that the musical is 3hrs long.  I know it's in preview mode so just wondering if this is still the case?

"

Definitely not. Last Saturday it was 2.40 hours including intermission

mmFan Profile Photo
mmFan
#419GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/14/17 at 8:04pm

ZellMorrowsPledge said: "mmFan said: "Just bought to tickets for a couple weeks from now.  In earlier posts it says that the musical is 3hrs long.  I know it's in preview mode so just wondering if this is still the case?

"

Definitely not. Last Saturday it was 2.40 hours including intermission

"

Thanks. That's normal show time then.

BroadwayLoving1
#420GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/14/17 at 8:14pm

Can't wait to see this!

BroadwayConcierge said: "You know spring on Broadway is almost here when every day, there's a new previews thread GROUNDHOG DAY Previews

Previews for the new musical Groundhog Day begin this Thursday, March 16 at the August Wilson Theatre! Featuring a score by Tim Minchin (of Matilda fame) and starring two-time Tony nominee Andy Karl, the production is set to officially open on April 17, 2017 for an open run.

Who's going?!

EpsilonCampCommunications@gmail.com

"

Updated On: 4/14/17 at 08:14 PM

Jish
#421GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/18/17 at 11:41am

Does anybody have a picture or video of the turntable arrangement for Groundhog Day?

I read through the thread and the description of it, and I understand it is similar to Shrek (watched the YouTube video) but I would really love to see the exact layout for Groundhog Day.

Saw the show from front row orch and couldn't quite figure it out.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#422GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/18/17 at 11:59am

It's rather simple - there's one large turntable not quite stage center, a bit to stage left; within that is a smaller turntable which isn't in the exact center of the larger one; within the smaller turntable are three even smaller turntables, each about the size of a bumper car, forming a sort of triangle.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#423GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/18/17 at 12:27pm

Anyone know if Karl is performing tonight?

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#424GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/18/17 at 12:30pm

ACL2006 said: "Anyone know if Karl is performing tonight?

I'm curious as well, I have tickets from TDF so I'll be there either way. 

Videos