News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

GROUNDHOG DAY Previews

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#350GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/5/17 at 12:30am

Saw the show tonight and mostly loved it. As other have mentioned, it starts off a little slow, but once they stop using the full bedroom set at the start of each new day, it starts to go full throttle and it's funny, it's fun, it's clever, it's quick, it's full of heart. Loved the set design and costumes, the cast is great, and Andy in any other season really would be the shoo-in to win the Tony. (Where have we heard that before...)

If I have one qualm about the book, at the end of Act One, they need to introduce Phil's growing feelings for Rita a little bit quicker, or ease up on the physical touching of her, otherwise it veers a little toward assault. (Sorry for the strong word, it's late and it's the only one that comes to mind.)

Otherwise, so far it's the only new musical of the spring that I've thoroughly enjoyed. 

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#351GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/5/17 at 12:45am

Groundhog Day has always been an all-time favorite movie of mine.  Seen it at least a dozen times if not more.  So I was really excited for this, and have been kind of bummed (but relieved I didn't buy tickets yet) reading all the recent reviews.  Some of the more positive ones started getting me interested again, but must admit that song "If I had my time again" - didn't really help much.  Was it me or did Barrett seem off key?  I'm really on the fence on this one.

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#352GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/5/17 at 8:46am

The released number reminds me a little of "Big," a show that shares a not dissimilar conceit. Then turns into "The Wedding Singer."  Yep, that''s it. "Wedding Singer."

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 4/5/17 at 08:46 AM

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#353GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 4:37pm

Much as I love ANDY KARL, it seems a bit... arrogant for the production to record a cast album already... It's like they are convinced it will be some massive hit... Meanwhile we are all begging for a SUNDAY IN THE PARK recording...Or HELLO DOLLY!

Is it normal for shows to do this? Just curious...

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

JustAnotherNewYorker
#354GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 5:05pm

Skimbleshanks2 said: "Much as I love ANDY KARL, it seems a bit... arrogant for the production to record a cast album already... It's like they are convinced it will be some massive hit... Meanwhile we are all begging for a SUNDAY IN THE PARK recording...Or HELLO DOLLY!

"

Lots of shows record for release on or around the date of opening. I think Come from Away and Amelie are both available on CD now, aren't they?

Well, Come from Away is. Amelie is coming out June 9th, as is Anastasia. So, some do, some don't. 

Updated On: 4/6/17 at 05:05 PM

JustAnotherNewYorker
#355GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 5:20pm

JustAnotherNewYorker said: "
Love Tim Minchin, but "If I had my time again" wouldn't have been my choice of first to drop. My favorites are "Nobody Cares" and "Night will come", but I think they wanted a song with both Barrett and Andy, so it was this one, "one day" or "seeing you". Seeing you would have been a better choice, but I think they avoided it since it's the finale and since there's already video of Tim Singing it."

Seeing you is out now:

http://ew.com/theater/2017/04/06/groundhog-day-broadway-seeing-you-listen/

FrontLtGuy
#356GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/6/17 at 8:21pm

Skimbleshanks2 said: "Much as I love ANDY KARL, it seems a bit... arrogant for the production to record a cast album already... It's like they are convinced it will be some massive hit... Meanwhile we are all begging for a SUNDAY IN THE PARK recording...Or HELLO DOLLY!

"

....what?!?

what part of promoting the musical through its music is arrogant?

Updated On: 4/6/17 at 08:21 PM

Smeds2 Profile Photo
Smeds2
#357GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 12:28am

I don't see it as arrogant at all; even shows that completely flop on Broadway nowadays get cast albums, and its a good idea to get the cast album out as quickly as possible. Ticket sales are pretty low for the previews, so when the awesome (they would hope) reviews come out, its a good idea to have the cast album ready to purchase to keep building on the buzz.

Chelsea Rountree
#358GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 4:46pm

I honestly love this musical! I had seen the movie before, but didn't really know what to expect for the musical version. I was so happily surprised when I saw it in previews!! I think the way they brought it to the stage was really smart, the cast is amazing, and Andy Karl is perfect as Phil! I walked out of the theater humming the music, so I'm so excited for the cast album! I have had the songs they have already released on repeat! If you haven't listened to them yet, you should (I'm gonna link them for everyone)!! Seriously, I think everyone just needs to go see the show- I walked in not knowing what to expect, and it's now one of my favorite shows!

If I Had My Time Again

http://www.broadway.com/buzz/188143/exclusive-hear-andy-karl-barrett-doss-groundhog-days-fantastic-cast-sing-if-i-had-my-time-again/

Seeing You

http://ew.com/theater/2017/04/06/groundhog-day-broadway-seeing-you-listen/

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#359GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 4:52pm

^^^

This looks like a fake post.

massofmen
#360GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 5:08pm

theatregoer3 said: "^^^

?????that might be the most fake post I have ever seen on this board. Do we have an award for fakest post?

"

ukpuppetboy Profile Photo
ukpuppetboy
#361GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/7/17 at 5:43pm

.. and their full stop to exclaimation mark ratio is appalling.. (who expected that).

muffie80
#362GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/8/17 at 12:19am

I saw the show tonight. i am scared to say I have never seen the movie and only saw it because of Andy Karl. I LOVED it! Yes. A little slow in the beginning but lots of shows are! Go see it if you can! (side note: first row is hard to see some things but I would sit there again.)

chewbaca
#363GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/8/17 at 6:43am

I have an option for seating at this theater for groundhog day. Row K seats 10, 12. Or row O seats 6,8. Which would be better

themysteriousgrowl Profile Photo
themysteriousgrowl
#364GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/8/17 at 7:37am

Those are pretty correlative options. Going with O puts you further back than it gets you more center, and I don't think that two-seat difference will matter much, so you might as well go with K. I sat in row K, but in the center, and the distance was just about perfect. That said, I loved how intimate the orchestra felt (it was my first time in that space and I was actually worried as we took our seats that K might be too close), so I don't think there are any bad seats down there. That also said, when I return to the show, I'll definitely sit in the mezz. There's visually so much going on, I think some height would heighten the experience.

CHURCH DOOR TOUCAN GAY MARKETING PUPPIES MUSICAL THEATER STAPLES PERIOD OIL BITCHY SNARK HOLES

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#365GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/8/17 at 7:46am

"

I'd be more surprised if they didn't record one. It is usually more about scheduling than whether the show is massive or not.

Skimbleshanks2 Profile Photo
Skimbleshanks2
#366GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/8/17 at 9:55am

Thanks... :)

I've seen GROUNDHOG four times now... AND I'm going back next week!!

My husband thinks it's funnier thank THE BOOK OF MORMON! It's seriously his favorite show and he thinks it's going to be a legitimate hit!! I hope he's right... He did love ROCKY though... so who knows... LOL

I'm so happy he loves it :) 

"See that poster on the wall? Rocky Marciano." - Andy Karl as Rocky in 'ROCKY'

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#367GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/8/17 at 10:51am

theatregoer3 said: "^^^

"

Every! Sentence! Ends! With! An! Exclamation!

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

ZellMorrowsPledge Profile Photo
ZellMorrowsPledge
#368GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/9/17 at 2:56am

Caught this show today at 2 and Waitress at 8. Personally, I've been waiting to see this show since Tim annouced he was composing the score and it has been my most anticipated show of the new season. All I can say was the wait was worth it. This show is absolutely brilliant. It's magical. Tim Minchin's score is catchy, Matthew's staging is Tony-worthy, the way they use the set is unlike anything I've ever seen on Broadway.  I really reasonated with the deeper message of the story. The show is like Matilda meets The Book Of Mormon. The audience was living for every minute of it. The show is still about 2:45 hours long, but it doesn't drag. Its good that it is still in previews because I think there's still room to tighten up the show. Playing Nancy needs to be cut, and the doctor scene could be shortened. I got these free tickets from the first preview contest so I'm already lookinh for tickets to go back in the summer. I definitely think this show will be heavily recognized when the Tony noms come out 

Use my code "YZTFG" for $20 OFF tickets on TodayTix!
Updated On: 4/9/17 at 02:56 AM

clb10162
#369GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/9/17 at 8:42am

The show is opening in about a week so if TPTB haven't made these cuts by now, they're unlikely to do so since the show should be frozen for press previews.  I really enjoyed this show (going to see it again tom'w), and think that some judicious trimming would have made it just about  perfect.  I'm curious to see what the critics say.

JillianSch Profile Photo
JillianSch
#370GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/9/17 at 9:56am

I absolutely agree with you ZellMorrowsPledge- "Playing Nancy" should be cut. It did not advance the plot and was only placed to show off Rebecca Faulkenberry's (beautiful) voice.  In all, my husband and I loved the matinee yesterday and laughed a majority of the show. 

JustAnotherNewYorker
#371GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/9/17 at 9:58am

JillianSch said: "I absolutely agree with you ZellMorrowsPledge- "Playing Nancy" should be cut. It did not advance the plot and was only placed to show off Rebecca Faulkenberry's (beautiful) voice.  In all, my husband and I loved the matinee yesterday and laughed a majority of the show. 

JillianSch said: "I absolutely agree with you ZellMorrowsPledge- "Playing Nancy" should be cut. It did not advance the plot and was only placed to show off Rebecca Faulkenberry's (beautiful) voice.  In all, my husband and I loved the matinee yesterday and laughed a majority of the show. "

Playing Nancy was in the London production, and predates Rebecca's casting (although she does the song well).

According to some of the staff members on Friday, it seems it's frozen.

Updated On: 4/9/17 at 09:58 AM

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#372GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/9/17 at 10:16am

If you have seen this show, would you say that the two songs released online (Seeing You and If I Had My Time Again) are the highlights of the show, or they are representational of the complete score? I like the aforementioned numbers and would be interested if they reflect the overall show, but perhaps not if they are about as good as it gets.

Updated On: 4/9/17 at 10:16 AM

JustAnotherNewYorker
#373GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/9/17 at 10:33am

Lot666 said: "If you have seen this show, would you say that the two songs released online ("Seeing You" and "If I Had My Time Again"GROUNDHOG DAY Previews are the highlights of the show, or they are representational of the complete score? I like the aforementioned numbers and would be interested if they reflect the overall show, but perhaps not if they are about as good as it gets."

Representational. They are not my top songs, but both are songs where both Andy and Barrett get to sing--My favorite ("Nobody Cares" GROUNDHOG DAY Previews hasn't been released in any form. "One Day" is also beautiful. 

There are some nice clips here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnNK_5EmxB0

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDUmy-nrBu0

Ugh. Editing. Is there any way to turn off automatic smileys when you use quote-endParen?

Updated On: 4/9/17 at 10:33 AM

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#374GROUNDHOG DAY Previews
Posted: 4/9/17 at 10:55am

JustAnotherNewYorker said: "Representational. They are not my top songs, but both are songs where both Andy and Barrett get to sing--My favorite ("Nobody Cares" GROUNDHOG DAY Previews hasn't been released in any form. "One Day" is also beautiful. 

There are some nice clips here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnNK_5EmxB0

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDUmy-nrBu0

Thank you for those! What is the name of the song with the lyrics about "blue skies tomorrow"?

JustAnotherNewYorker said: Ugh. Editing. Is there any way to turn off automatic smileys when you use quote-endParen?"

Isn't that just the most maddening thing? The technology behind this board is phenomenally bad.

Videos