News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009- Page 6

GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009

binau Profile Photo
binau
#125re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 2:31pm

"olbinau, the producer has cited the economic times for the closing.

"Though we originally announced that GYPSY would play its final performance on March 1, 2009, due to these uncertain financial times my partners and I have made the difficult decision to close instead on January 11, 2009" said producer Roger Berlind.

People are spending less money on theater, among other things. Not to be nasty, but turn on the news...we are in a recession. And will most likely be for a while. "

Well of course they aren't going to say they it was revived too early. If there was no 2003 revival and it was going from 89 I don't think there would be a problem sustaining numbers even today..

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

PRFRMR20 Profile Photo
PRFRMR20
#126re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 2:45pm

Uncageg - As I said before in this thread... though yes the economy is closing the show earlier than originally scheduled, it is only 6 weeks! The show was going to close anyway, this is NOT a casualty of the economy and no this cannot be considered a "hit." Hit is a technical term to mean a show has recouped its original investment. Gypsy is a flop.

PRFRMR20 Profile Photo
PRFRMR20
#127re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 2:45pm

double post Updated On: 12/15/08 at 02:45 PM

uncageg Profile Photo
uncageg
#128re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 4:20pm

qolbinau...I really don't think the timing of the revival is the problem. That's just my opinion.

PRFRMR20...I wasn't commenting on whether it was a flop or a hit. I was commenting on it closing due to the economy. If this was not a casualty of the economy, in my opinion, it would not be closing early. Why would they just close a show early for no reason? And the producer said that it is closing because of the economy. You state that it is closing early because of the economy but that it is not. Which is it?

Just give the world Love.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#129re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 4:44pm

Just because I disagree with the critics doesn't mean my opinion isn't valid. The only thing about this production that I think is better than the last one is Boyd Gaines, though John Dossett was good too. Obviously I'm in the minority, but that doesn't mean my opinion is worthless. The people who voted against Prop 8 were unfortunately in the minority. Does that mean their opinion is wrong? Hell no.

TimeSquare3 Profile Photo
TimeSquare3
#130re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 4:51pm

Yeah, I'm afraid it DOES make your opinion invalid.

<<-- Help save Terminator: SCC
"The gay one?" -- Marissa Jaret Winokur on the Jonas Brothers.

light_thelights
#131re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 4:52pm

I guess I could've seen this coming, although I'm so, so upset. I got my tickets for Jan. 11th last night.

It only hurts when I breathe...
Updated On: 12/15/08 at 04:52 PM

TimeSquare3
#132re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 4:57pm

The filming note is not up for the new date.

Jack King
#133re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 5:18pm

"I had a dream.
I had a dream, baby."

Again in five years? :)

Meanwhile, I look forward to "West Side Story." And I have a story about that. I was most fortunate to see the movie shown as a sneak preview in New York. I was puzzled by the opening graphics before the titles. I thought there was something wrong with the projector. But oh, wasn't that a movie. And wasn't that a time. One of my daughters played a role here in a high school staged version.

jennyish Profile Photo
jennyish
#134re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 5:43pm

Is there any chance that rush tickets WON'T be offered for the 11th?

I chose, and my world was shaken. So what? The choice may have been mistaken. The choosing was not.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#135re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 5:46pm

TimeSquare3, I do my best to respect other people's opinions even when I don't agree with them. I suggest you do the same.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#136re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 7:37pm

To safeguard yourself against not getting a rush ticket, just use this code: GYNYT54 and get a balcony seat for the same price as a rush ticket.

desiree armfeldt Profile Photo
desiree armfeldt
#137re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 11:23pm

Broadway is dying! re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009

I couldn't be more sad about Gypsy!

TimeSquare3
#138re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/15/08 at 11:32pm

The code was revoked & only available until the 4th.

Just_John Profile Photo
Just_John
#139re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/16/08 at 12:02am

I was just able to use the code.

TimeSquare3
#140re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/16/08 at 12:07am

Is that not The Playbill code? Well the Playbill one only lasts until the 4th now.

Brick
#141re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/16/08 at 12:08am

NY Times:

"...[W]ith the surprise announcement on Sunday night that the much-lauded “Gypsy” would close seven weeks ahead of schedule because of poor box-office sales..."

"Surprise announcement". "Much-lauded".

You may have seen it coming and you may not have liked the production, but the Times sees the situation differently.

And you may not like the Times, but the Times is more important than you. Or, at least a better barometer of Industry opinion than you.

Fair? Truce?

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#142re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/16/08 at 2:53am

Point taken. I concur, though my opinion still stands.

MamasDoin'Fine Profile Photo
MamasDoin'Fine
#143re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/16/08 at 7:52am

No surprise!
It was on the TKTS booth Saturday nigh last week!

Gypsy9 Profile Photo
Gypsy9
#144re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/16/08 at 8:36am

Thank God for cast recordings. I have located my remastered 1999 OBCR with Merman, and am looking forward to receiving the Patti LuPone cast recording for Christmas. And the Bette Midler TV version has good production values, especially the kids' and the farmboys' dance routines. "Broadway, Broadway..." GYPSY will live on in the hearts of those who cherish its memories.

"Madam Rose...and her daughter...Gypsy!"

binau Profile Photo
binau
#145re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/16/08 at 7:19pm

What was the actual production of the 2003 Revival like? I mean, for me the only thing that stands out for this production is the performances.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

bundy5000 Profile Photo
bundy5000
#146re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/16/08 at 7:32pm

even though you may not be effected by the economy, it is the fear that brew this plague.

Herbie: "Honey, Don't you know there's a depression?"
Rose: "Of Course I know, I Watch Fox News"
-(modified)Gypsy
Broadway Schedule
December 5th- Hamilton, On Your Feet
December 19th- Noises Off, Edith Piaf Concert at Town Hall

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#147re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/16/08 at 7:32pm

The original costumes and sets of the 03 revival were more minimal than the 08 revival, then Laurents insisted they improve them. It was very bare, until Laurents made them add more. But it was still considered a minimalist production.

frogs_fan85 Profile Photo
frogs_fan85
#148re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/16/08 at 8:31pm

TimeSquare3, I got that code less than a week ago from the Times.

Elphaba3 Profile Photo
Elphaba3
#149re: GYPSY to Close Early on January 11, 2009
Posted: 12/17/08 at 12:51am

qolbinau, I thought the production was outstanding. The direction, staging, choreography, orchestrations were all perfect. I think the minimalistic set worked. It gave the show a more of backstage vibe. I think everything about the '03 production was far superior to this one, but I'm obviously in the minority.

Videos