News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

HELLO, DOLLY! Previews

junglered Profile Photo
junglered
#200HELLO, DOLLY! Previews (seat locations)
Posted: 3/16/17 at 2:54pm

I haven't posted on BWW in quite some time, but I try to check in on this site from time to time. Reading this thread has made me extremely happy and I feel like I have to chime in. It warms my heart to see many revered posters of days gone by like Michael Bennett share their exhilarating and heartfelt comments about the much anticipated Hello! Dolly revival. It's been wonderful for me to hear about the sheer joy of this production and what it means to so many of my fellow lovers of theater. Thanks to you ALL for sharing your thoughts in this forum. I am truly looking forward to my visit to NYC in 2 weeks time and cannot wait to see Bette, David, Gavin, Kate and the entire company of Hello Dolly at the Shubert Theatre on April 1.   

-Jungle

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
#201HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/16/17 at 3:11pm

And I loved the runway around the orchestra pit and how Warren has the dancers jump over it...fresh and fun!

Seriously?  As mentioned above, those leaps have always been in the show.  Warren has NOTHING to do with it.  If anything, the original choreography is literally being recreated.  I really can't tell what Warren added to it.  

RagtimeRay
#202HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/16/17 at 3:26pm

Michael Bennett said: "The original 1964 production didn't have an overture.  The overture printed in the piano score is (I believe) one that was released specifically for stock / amateur roll-out.  The Pearl Bailey cast recording includes an overture, but I'm not sure this was actually heard in the theatre (Dollypop would likely know the answer to that).  The overture in this production is entirely new.

I saw the original Broadway production nine times between 1967 and when it closed in December 1970. I do not recall an overture. I found it exciting to hear just a few measures of "Call on Dolly" before the curtain rose.

Subsequent revivals added an overture, I believe.

"

Ray is the author of the Brad Frame mystery series, and two suspense novels. He is also the author of a one man play based on Ben Franklin. http://www.rayflynt.com

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#203HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/16/17 at 3:28pm

This thread is just filled with joy. Thank you all for sharing! Can't wait to see it.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

bk
#204HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/16/17 at 3:43pm

I don't believe the show ever had an overture for the entirety of the Broadway run - and that's the way it works best.  

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#205HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/16/17 at 4:02pm

Looking into tickets for Donna's second performance, I believe. Are there any chances it will be available on todaytix or another discounted ticket app? I know it's far out and any reply will be conjecture, but if you had to make a guess. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement
Updated On: 3/16/17 at 04:02 PM

pnewelljr
#206HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/16/17 at 4:35pm

I have a side question. Can anyone tell me more about Bette Midler compared to Donna Murphy, just in general (as we obviously can't compare their performances at this point)? Why is Bette such a big deal?

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#207HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/16/17 at 4:40pm

pnewelljr said: "I have a side question. Can anyone tell me more about Bette Midler compared to Donna Murphy, just in general (as we obviously can't compare their performances at this point)? Why is Bette such a big deal?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bette_Midler

http://bettemidler.com/

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

IdinaBellFoster
#208HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/16/17 at 4:41pm

pnewelljr said: "I have a side question. Can anyone tell me more about Bette Midler compared to Donna Murphy, just in general (as we obviously can't compare their performances at this point)? Why is Bette such a big deal?"

They're both extremely talented women but...is this a real question?

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

TNick926 Profile Photo
TNick926
#209HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/16/17 at 4:42pm

Bette Midler is a world-renowned superstar.

Donna Murphy is a brilliant performer, known mostly only to Broadway audiences.

Lenexajones Profile Photo
Lenexajones
#210HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/16/17 at 5:09pm

My Wednesday flight home was cancelled so I scored two front row seats at a tiny fraction of the cost. What a dream of a show!  Very well rehearsed and the dancers were particularly strong. I went into it thinking that DHP was miscast, but he was a delight. The only weak supporting players was Melanie (too shrill) and her boyfriend (forgettable). Taylor was a real surprise. I predict big things for him. And Bette. What can I say that hasn't already been said. She was on fire and was connected to the love in the room. One of my Broadway lifetime highlights!  

pnewelljr
#211HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/16/17 at 5:51pm

Lenexajones said: "My Wednesday flight home was cancelled so I scored two front row seats at a tiny fraction of the cost. What a dream of a show!  Very well rehearsed and the dancers were particularly strong. I went into it thinking that DHP was miscast, but he was a delight. The only weak supporting players was Melanie (too shrill) and her boyfriend (forgettable). Taylor was a real surprise. I predict big things for him. And Bette. What can I say that hasn't already been said. She was on fire and was connected to the love in the room. One of my Broadway lifetime highlights! "

Mind sharing how you scored discount tickets?

pnewelljr
#212HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/16/17 at 5:55pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "pnewelljr said: "I have a side question. Can anyone tell me more about Bette Midler compared to Donna Murphy, just in general (as we obviously can't compare their performances at this point)? Why is Bette such a big deal?"

"

This was very much a real question. I am a millennial, not that that is an excuse, just a fact, and I recognize her name, but I wouldn't be able to tell you anything she's done. After looking at her wiki, of course, I recognize "Wind Beneath My Wings," I guess I was just wondering why she is THAT BIG A DEAL. Not saying she isn't, I just still don't understand why, even after looking at her wiki.

For example, why isn't Sunset Boulevard as big of a deal, Glenn Close is famous, no?

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#213HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/16/17 at 6:37pm

She's still big. It's the musicals that have gotten small.

Updated On: 3/17/17 at 06:37 PM

Dollypop
#214HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/16/17 at 6:44pm

To answer one question: The overture used on the Pearl Bailey recording was never used in any theatrical version of the show. I honestly can't remember if an overture was used when Pearl revived the show a few years later. I do know that all of Channing's revivals used an overture because Jerry Herman wanted one.

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

Whateverjsays
#215HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/16/17 at 7:53pm

pnewelljr said: "IdinaBellFoster said: "pnewelljr said: "I have a side question. Can anyone tell me more about Bette Midler compared to Donna Murphy, just in general (as we obviously can't compare their performances at this point)? Why is Bette such a big deal?"

"

This was very much a real question. I am a millennial, not that that is an excuse, just a fact, and I recognize her name, but I wouldn't be able to tell you anything she's done. After looking at her wiki, of course, I recognize "Wind Beneath My Wings," I guess I was just wondering why she is THAT BIG A DEAL. Not saying she isn't, I just still don't understand why, even after looking at her wiki.

For example, why isn't Sunset Boulevard as big of a deal, Glenn Close is famous, no?

"

A millennial knows how to use google. Thanks for that vapid comment.

IdinaBellFoster
#216HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/16/17 at 8:08pm

Whateverjsays said: "pnewelljr said: "IdinaBellFoster said: "pnewelljr said: "I have a side question. Can anyone tell me more about Bette Midler compared to Donna Murphy, just in general (as we obviously can't compare their performances at this point)? Why is Bette such a big deal?"

"

"

A millennial knows how to use google. Thanks for that vapid comment.
"

I'm a millennial as well...and I could run off a laundry list of reasons why The Divine Miss M is an icon. 

SUNSET is proving to be a bigger deal than many thought - just take a look at the grosses. Big difference is that Bette Midler is returning to Broadway for the first time leading a musical. Not to mention a beloved musical that has only one other time been revived without Carol Channing. 

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#217HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/16/17 at 8:23pm

How's the view from the rear balcony?

theatregoer3 Profile Photo
theatregoer3
#218HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/16/17 at 8:37pm

pnewelljr said: "IdinaBellFoster said: "pnewelljr said: "I have a side question. Can anyone tell me more about Bette Midler compared to Donna Murphy, just in general (as we obviously can't compare their performances at this point)? Why is Bette such a big deal?"

"

"

You may be a millennial (as am I) but you're also lazy to an insulting degree and asking us to do your homework. 

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#219HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/16/17 at 8:53pm

I am loving the rapturous reviews - thank you all for sharing them! The wait will be agony, as my ticket is not until November. 

bwayboy22 Profile Photo
bwayboy22
#220HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/16/17 at 9:10pm

My friend is at tonight's performance and she said they just stopped the whole show and called for any doctors in the audience. 

pnewelljr
#221HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/16/17 at 9:13pm

theatregoer3 said: "pnewelljr said: "IdinaBellFoster said: "pnewelljr said: "I have a side question. Can anyone tell me more about Bette Midler compared to Donna Murphy, just in general (as we obviously can't compare their performances at this point)? Why is Bette such a big deal?"

"

"

You may be a millennial (as am I) but you're also lazy to an insulting degree and asking us to do your homework.
"

I asked what I thought was a simple question, I am honestly sorry if I offended anyone. I am not a troll, and I thought it might be a good way to learn about her from her fans. I apologize again to anyone I upset. I did, in fact, google her, again I was hoping to learn something I didn't know. I am sorry if my question was inappropriate.

I also am sorry to other millennials if this was read as an excuse, I was merely stating that if everyone knows that Bette Midler is amazing, I might be less familiar because of my age (maybe I should know who she is regardless), I was not implying anything other than that (in hindsight, I should have just said my age).

I am obviously very confused about what is appropriate here and seem to have hit a nerve, which is the last thing I wanted to do. I will try to be more careful in the future.

Updated On: 3/16/17 at 09:13 PM

pnewelljr
#222HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/16/17 at 9:16pm

On a side note, a couple center orchestra seats popped up for tomorrow night in the $200 range. I hope everyone in the cast in crew is okay. I guess we will here more from reports.

pnewelljr
#223HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/16/17 at 9:19pm

Looks like the medical emergency was in the audience:

https://twitter.com/AnteloDrive/status/842543434313416705

Thoughts with them, hopefully they are okay.

Updated On: 3/16/17 at 09:19 PM

GavestonPS Profile Photo
GavestonPS
#224HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/16/17 at 9:30pm

pnewelljr said: "I have a side question. Can anyone tell me more about Bette Midler compared to Donna Murphy, just in general (as we obviously can't compare their performances at this point)? Why is Bette such a big deal?

"

I'm speaking of Bette Midler in her prime here. Donna Murphy is almost certainly a superior actress; Bette Midler is the greatest entertainer I have ever seen live. In her day, there was real danger in a Midler concert, a palpable feeling that she just might--and often did--say or do ANYthing! In later years, she learned (had to learn, really, after collapsing on stage) to save her voice, energy, etc., so that her outrageousness is more show than reality. But it is still damn, good show! She actually sings better and her comic timing has lost nothing in the process.

As for Midler v. Murphy, I'd be thrilled to see either one. But the role calls for a bravura performance more than acting skill, which is why Midler is starring and Murphy, as good as she is, is doing Tuesdays.

(I too was surprised by your question at first. But then I really couldn't see anything wrong with it. Scanning a list of credits doesn't really tell one why a performer has appeal. I know WHY Mary Pickford and Louise Brooks were important based on their resumes, but that means little in terms of why they had so much appeal.)

I am green with envy of those of you who get to see her in DOLLY!

Updated On: 3/16/17 at 09:30 PM

Videos