News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17- Page 14

HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17

SherrieByTheSea
#325HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/29/18 at 8:24pm

There is a train that says it gets into Penn at 12:52 but I think that might be cutting it too close? The next earlier train gets in at 11:46 but, of course, it is twice as much. Sigh.............

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#326HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/29/18 at 9:36pm

SherrieByTheSea said: "There is a train that says it gets into Penn at 12:52 but I think that might be cutting it too close?The next earlier train gets in at 11:46 but, of course, it is twice as much. Sigh............."

You should be fine, assuming it's a 3pm matinee. It doesn't take all that long to get a cab from Penn to the Shubert; I can't comment as to the subway/buses though. The biggest risk would be the train being light, but even then you have at least an hour's buffer there with a 12:52 arrival.

Dollypop
#327HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/29/18 at 11:09pm

Take the earlier train

"Long live God!" (GODSPELL)

SherrieByTheSea
#328HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/30/18 at 7:20am

I’ll take the 11:46. It’s a 2:00 show. Can you tell I’m new at this? Thank you for all your help

Dollypop
#329HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/30/18 at 7:50am

I come in from Long Island and years ago I was coming into the city to see WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF? and a lady on our train suffered a heart attack, causing the train to stop while she was examined and removed for hospitalization. All of this was understandable but caused our train to pull into Penn Station much later than scheduled and I missed about 20 minutes of the first act (Luckily I knew the play). Now I get in earlier than needed--just in case!

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#330HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/30/18 at 9:02am

You guys I'd be totally cool with this thread just dying so I don't have to remember that Hello, Dolly is actually closing. It's heartbreaking.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

dmwnc1959 Profile Photo
dmwnc1959
#331HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/30/18 at 9:51am

Valentina3 said: "You guys I'd be totally cool with this thread just dying so I don't have to remember that Hello, Dolly is actually closing. It's heartbreaking."

You can still catch the National Tour in a city (hopefully) somewhere near you. I’m still planning on driving to Cleveland (4hrs) to see it in the fall when the tour opens in it’s national debut. 

Dollypop
#332HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/30/18 at 1:39pm

Valentina3 said: "You guys I'd be totally cool with this thread just dying so I don't have to remember that Hello, Dolly is actually closing. It's heartbreaking."

Guess how someone who has seen all the great ladies who have played DOLLY on Broadway and will have seen the show a total of 91 times by August 25th feels....

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#333HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/30/18 at 2:20pm

Are you sure you can't see it nine more times before closing?

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#334HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/30/18 at 3:18pm

I know we've discussed this to death here but... what do you all really think?- will it close on Saturday, August 25th? 

CPannullo
#335HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/30/18 at 3:22pm

EthelMae said: "I know we've discussed this to death here but... what do you all really think?- will it close on Saturday, August 25th?"

I feel like it’s not going to close then. I bought tickets for that night but i just have a feeling that towards the end of Bernadette’s run that they’ll announce an extension. But also, if the show were to close on August 25, they could use props, sets, etc for the touring version 

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#336HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/30/18 at 3:30pm

Thx for the input, CPannullo! Don't know what to do. It's been sold out on Telecharge, of course, for this "last" performance but suddenly, just now, 1 last row Balcony seat came up! I would grab it (I have seen it many times) but only if this is indeed the last show! Maybe I'll just grab it!

Updated On: 4/30/18 at 03:30 PM

CPannullo
#337HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/30/18 at 3:33pm

EthelMae said: "Thx for the input, CPannullo! Don't know what to do. It's been sold out on Telecharge, of course, for this "last" performance but suddenly, just now, 1 last row Balcony seat came up! I would grab it (I have seen it many times) but only if this is indeed the last show! Maybe I'll just grab it!"

I’d grab it! Even if it isn’t the last performance and they release more tickets later down the road, you still get to see Bette and the rest of the cast

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#338HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/30/18 at 3:35pm

EthelMae said: "I know we've discussed this to death here but... what do you all really think?- will it close on Saturday, August 25th?"

6 weeks just seems such a short period of time to begin with, it doesn't really make sense to add a few more weeks later. If it were for a few months, then sure, but only 42 performances is such a specific chunk of time, it just makes me think that is it.

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#339HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/30/18 at 4:16pm

haterobics said: "EthelMae said: "I know we've discussed this to death here but... what do you all really think?- will it close on Saturday, August 25th?"

6 weeks just seems such a short period of time to begin with, it doesn't really make sense to add a few more weeks later. If it were for a few months, then sure, but only 42 performances is such a specific chunk of time, it just makes me think that is it.
"

Which is why I think there’s another bigger reason for this return engagement .  Like a filming or something.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

CPannullo
#340HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/30/18 at 4:50pm

DAME said: "haterobics said: "EthelMae said: "I know we've discussed this to death here but... what do you all really think?- will it close on Saturday, August 25th?"

"

Which is why I think there’s another bigger reason for this return engagement . Like a filming or something.
"

Didn’t they already film it though with the full original cast?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#341HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/30/18 at 4:53pm

CPannullo said: "Didn’t they already film it though with the full original cast?"

For the Lincoln Center Archives, not for public release.

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#342HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 4/30/18 at 8:30pm

DAME said: "haterobics said: "EthelMae said: "I know we've discussed this to death here but... what do you all really think?- will it close on Saturday, August 25th?"

"

Which is why I think there’s another bigger reason for this return engagement . Like a filming or something.
"

I hadn't considered that, but there is a logic to that line of thinking. A short run lets them film on one or two nights to get the perfect footage and/or with a tamer audience that still has energy that would come through in a recorded format. That being said, I would have thought they'd announce something like that at some point.

Still, it does seem like an odd amount of time. I understand Bette wanting to close out the show, but a six week post-Bernadette extension doesn't seem like much--and why not push the extra few days to get past Labor Day?

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
#344HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 5/4/18 at 9:18am

I guess I should just be quiet or someone here will tell me to but, then again, this might be helpful info for others: I’ve been wanting to see the last August 25th 8pm performance of Hello, Dolly like many of you here. And, of course, it sold out quickly when tix went on sale April 28th. I’ve been checking Telecharge daily with no luck. This morning around 8:30, I did my usual check on Telecharge and 1 Balcony seat location came up. I nearly fell out of bed running for my credit card! I was able to secure it. Now, my question is, how did this tiicket become available all of a sudden? Did someone maybe get a refund on that loc to purchase other ticket locations thru Telecharge or another ticket company? Very curious. Thoughts, here?
Anyway, for those still wanting to go to that performance, I would say keep trying as the months go by! Maybe something will turn up!

Updated On: 5/4/18 at 09:18 AM

poisonivy2 Profile Photo
poisonivy2
#345HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 5/4/18 at 10:52am

Very often people have to exchange because vacation/travel/work plans changed. 

msmp Profile Photo
msmp
#346HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 5/4/18 at 12:20pm

That happened a lot with The Great Comet during its closing weekend. People have plans change, house seats get released, and so forth.

EthelMae Profile Photo
EthelMae
Broadway Fan26
#348HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 5/4/18 at 6:20pm

Hi. Has anyone ever sat in the front boxes for Hello Dolly at the Shubert? I'm wondering how the view is and if it's worth it to splurge to see Bette.

Elegance101 Profile Photo
Elegance101
#349HELLO, DOLLY! Sets August 25 Closing Date; Bette Midler to Return July 17
Posted: 5/4/18 at 9:44pm

Broadway Fan26 said: "

Hi. Has anyone ever sat in the front boxes for Hello Dolly at the Shubert? I'm wondering how the view is and if it's worth it to splurge to see Bette."

Didn't sit in the boxes, but sat all the way house right in the front row. You'll miss an okay amount during the Harmonia Gardens scene, as I didn't see the curtain opening on the top of the staircase, but saw Bette after she walked down a step or two and you won't get any of the action with Ernestina and Horace. Other than that, it was totally fine!

Videos