News on your favorite shows, specials & more!

Hamilton Previews

anmiller07 Profile Photo
anmiller07
#375Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/30/15 at 9:54am

"With Hamilton, I feel like Miranda used In the Heights as a template and upped his game to a masterful level."

I could not agree with this more.  There were quite a few moments where I was like "OK, so this is like In The Heights, but better..."  I do think that those who are not accustomed to listening to rap may miss a good amount of the lyrics, as much of it goes bye at rapid fire speeds.

MyLife
#376Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/30/15 at 11:22am

"Perhaps it was My Shot?  It introduces different melodies for different groups of characters and when they all combine, the sisters were center stage as the revolve started turning (which immediately reminded me of 96,000, both musically and visually). "

Sounds like you are referring to "The Schuyler Sisters." I can see visually how it is 96,000-like but musically I think "My Shot" and "Yorktown" are more similar.

NJ_BroadwayGirl Profile Photo
NJ_BroadwayGirl
#377Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/30/15 at 11:26am

I thought of this after posting on the stage door thread. It's easy to forget this show is still in previews, since it seems to really be "set" but it's still a work in progress, which is cool.

Several of the principal actors who came out the stage door after a while pointed to director Thomas Kail as he left and jokingly said things like "sorry we took so long, it's his fault." 

I like a good rhyme more than a good time

macnyc Profile Photo
macnyc
#378Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/30/15 at 11:58am

That's what I love about this show, and Lin-Manuel's approach in particular: No matter how much praise the show is getting, no matter how many raves show up on Twitter after each performance, the creative team and the cast are all striving to make the show better, as NJ_Broadway_Girl's post shows.

We've all seen shows that didn't use their preview periods well or seemingly refused to make needed changes after feedback from out-of-town tryouts. So if Hamilton is a game-changer, and I personally believe it is, maybe the game that is being upped will be the work ethic and willingness to take a cold, hard  look at the product and make changes when needed.

Updated On: 7/30/15 at 11:58 AM

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#379Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/30/15 at 12:04pm

Well, I'm not sure that the work ethic or willingness to make changes is what's being upped here. I think what this show's team is doing, which doesn't happen much, is being very transparent in what's going on. Miranda, on top of being rather candid generally, has used his social media presence to basically mark his day-by-day journey with the show, giving people a rare glimpse into the development of a musical.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

MyLife
#380Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/30/15 at 12:09pm

"Well, I'm not sure that the work ethic or willingness to make changes is what's being upped here. I think what this show's team is doing, which doesn't happen much, is being very transparent in what's going on. Miranda, on top of being rather candid generally, has used his social media presence to basically mark his day-by-day journey with the show, giving people a rare glimpse into the development of a musical. "

Exactly! And for those who follow him on Twitter, seeing the show is like meeting your newborn niece or nephew for the first time. It's not yours but you already feel close to and proud of him/her and the parents. 

miminy Profile Photo
miminy
#381Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/30/15 at 2:14pm

Yes, that's how I feel too. Yesterday as Lin was walking to his seat
I smiled at him and he winked at me. I melted like a teenager.

The show is in such good shape. I love the constant motion.
The cast moves in and out with such synchronicity - on and off
the turntables, with or without props. The lyrics, choreography,
music and lighting all come together and like a flash the scene
changes and the narrative rapidly moves on. It's like
watching a Balanchine ballet. You can focus on anyone onstage -
main or ensemble member and their actions fit perfectly into
the whole picture. It's a work or art that is meant to be
viewed many times. I'm a hopeless Ham-addict.

neonlightsxo
#382Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/30/15 at 2:19pm

"And for those who follow him on Twitter, seeing the show is like meeting your newborn niece or nephew for the first time. It's not yours but you already feel close to and proud of him/her and the parents. "

This is so true.

dshnookie Profile Photo
dshnookie
#383Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/30/15 at 8:22pm

How are the rear orch seats? Does a lot happen on the second level that's obstructed by the mezz overhang?

Also noticed that while the 3rd and 4th seats in are marked partial view, the aisle seats are not which I found a bit weird (this is for Row V).

mariel9 Profile Photo
mariel9
#384Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/30/15 at 9:32pm

I was in Row W center Monday. There are a few times when you can't see a major character singing on the second level, but they weren't entire scenes or entire songs. I could see them if I leaned down.

Glittergrrl Profile Photo
Glittergrrl
#385Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/30/15 at 10:00pm

I'm going to the show in less than a week.  I am so excited!!!  I have great seats too... First row center mezz.  I bought them the day they went on sale.  Does anyone know if they still have the YayHamlet tees?  Cause I think that's hilarious and I want one.

shanphelia Profile Photo
shanphelia
#386Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/30/15 at 10:52pm

"I'm going to the show in less than a week.  I am so excited!!!  I have great seats too... First row center mezz.  I bought them the day they went on sale.  Does anyone know if they still have the YayHamlet tees?  Cause I think that's hilarious and I want one."

They had them last night! Enjoy the show.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#387Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/31/15 at 6:19am

It's still previews, I doubt they've sold out of anything.

I'm very excited to go (missed it at the public). Weds night can't get here soon enough! 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Glittergrrl Profile Photo
Glittergrrl
#388Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/31/15 at 1:15pm

Shanphelia... Thanks!

Dramamama... I'm going on Wed. Too but I'm seeing the matinee.  Exciting!!!

Tony2600
#389Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/31/15 at 4:00pm

Saw the show Thursday night and while I admire Miranda’s attempt at doing something different, I left the theater disappointed and slightly exhausted. I went in with high expectations because I loved Ron Chernow’s book on Hamilton. What I saw on the stage is an American history lesson similar to what I might have seen in the 70’s and 80’s on Schoolhouse Rock. I’m all for different and clever but not when it gets in the way of telling a good story. Every time I found myself drawn into the story I would be drawn back out by the awareness of the clever rhymes and the Lazy Susan staging. Chris Jackson, Renee Elise Doldberry, Jonathan Graff, Leslie Odom Jr., and Phillipa Soo were top notch. I think Miranda’s a really talented guy but I would have preferred someone with greater acting chops playing Hamilton. There’s definitely an audience for this show but It’s not me. So, if you like your storytelling loud and simple and if you still can’t get enough songs that end with actors defiantly raising a clench fist then you ought to give this show a “shot”.

gmhots
#390Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/31/15 at 4:26pm

Does anyone know if there are souvenir cups available yet?

HogansHero Profile Photo
HogansHero
#391Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/31/15 at 4:45pm

Tony2600,

I am sorry it didn't work for you, and I respect that. Your comments are revelatory because, if you found it simplistic (not to mention comparable to Schoolhouse Rock), you really dd not see the forest for the trees. 

Tony2600
#392Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/31/15 at 5:00pm

I did indeed see the forest. I just care for the critters that inhabited it.

shanphelia Profile Photo
shanphelia
#393Hamilton Previews
Posted: 7/31/15 at 6:08pm

"Does anyone know if there are souvenir cups available yet?"

Yes! Got one with my soda Wednesday night.

gmhots
#394Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/1/15 at 12:47am

Oh great! (About the souvenir cups.) went for the first couple of previews and they didn't have it... Anyone willing to meet after the show and I'll buy two from you?

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#395Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/4/15 at 10:02pm

I saw this Saturday night and am still processing it all in my thoughts.

It's not perfect.  Few, if any, shows are.   But it's original and creative and I cannot remember when I was so enthralled watching a show.   

What I didn't expect was to be so moved at the end. Brilliant way to end the show and wrap the story.   

I keep thinking about it.   I keep searching online for clips and articles.  And I can't wait to read the reviews on opening night.

But before Thursday, I eagerly await PalJoey's review.   I've been thinking about him seeing it all night.   

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

NYadgal Profile Photo
NYadgal
#396Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/4/15 at 10:23pm

By the way, I agree with every word miminy wrote a few posts back!   

"Two drifters off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see. . ."

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#397Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/4/15 at 10:39pm

Tomorrow night can't get here fast enough!  So excited.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

oncemorewithfeeling2 Profile Photo
oncemorewithfeeling2
#398Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/4/15 at 10:49pm

The more I read people's reviews, the more I find myself looking back on the show. Adgal and miminy made great points: it's not perfect, but you're watching something come that people will say is a revolutionary idea and creative beyond most of our abilities. Looking back on seeing it shortly after previews began and at the Public, it's akin to seeing hearing a beautiful piece of music played by one of the best symphonies.

My Gran tells me stories of seeing Oklahoma when it was in previews. I can't predict if Hamilton will ever reach that kind legendary status, but I really feel like I've seen something special. And it's a different special then what I felt when I first head Piazza and Grey Gardens, which I think are two the best scores in our era.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#399Hamilton Previews
Posted: 8/4/15 at 10:55pm

Has there been any official word on when they'll record the album and when it will be released? I won't be able to see it for a while and can't wait to get my hands on it!

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

Videos