News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig- Page 15

Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig

SDV Profile Photo
SDV
#350Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/26/15 at 1:03am

"
 No, but did you somehow miss the "it's totally within your right" in mine?"

You told me I "can't truthfully say that Darren's Hedwig was lacking soul." I can, actually truthfully say that IMO his Hedwig was lacking soul.

As to the stage door situation, I know that the bodyguards did not appreciate that Darren would sometimes wait two hours or longer to even exit the theater (the Belasco marquee lights were frequently turned off before he left)  before he then started signing autographs for an additional protracted length of time. The bodyguards weren't getting home until one or two in the morning and were rather miserable.

Updated On: 7/26/15 at 01:03 AM

herewegoabc
#351Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/26/15 at 1:11am

""Darren stayed probably 1 1/2 hours (ish?) each night, and tried to get as many people as possible. I imagine some actors like that part of it more than others."
1.5 hours?! That's like doing the show again. I can't imagine - but hey, good on him - that's the way to create fan loyalty."

Darren's crowds were huge, and he did his best every night to sign for everyone who was waiting. I don't know if it took him an hour and a half to get through the crowd (I never stayed til the end), but the two times I stage-doored for him, he took FOREVER to come out. The show would end 9:45ish, and he didn't come out until after 11:30.

From what I've read, Taye is coming out more quickly, but he's also leaving a lot more quickly. I don't think it has to do with time limits. He's probably just tired and wants to get home.

I know Idina is on tour. Maybe their son is in New York with Taye, and he wants to get home as quickly as possible for those purposes? I don't know.

ChildofEarth Profile Photo
ChildofEarth
#352Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/26/15 at 1:16am

"As to the stage door situation, I know that the bodyguards did not appreciate that Darren would sometimes wait two hours or longer to even exit the theater (the Belasco marquee lights were frequently turned off before he left)  before he then started signing autographs for an additional protracted length of time. The bodyguards weren't getting home until one or two in the morning and were rather miserable."

Two hours is a bit extreme, that would mean he didn't exit the theater until midnight? - but at least he came out and signed. Not signing seems so rude to me. I talked to Annie a few times about Darren (she knows me by sight) and she seemed really fond of him but she isn't a "bodyguard." Billy (Bobby?) seems like such a nice guy so if he didn't like Darren there might have been a problem there.

ChildofEarth
#353Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/26/15 at 1:19am

"I know Idina is on tour. Maybe their son is in New York with Taye, and he wants to get home as quickly as possible for those purposes? I don't know."

Walker is with Idina, I believe. 

herewegoabc
#354Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/26/15 at 1:24am

I wonder if Taye's shortened stagedoor has affected Rebecca's signing. During Darren's run, she would sign for everyone (or at least the ones who were there for the show and not just for Darren), so it would take her awhile to get through the crowd, too. Darren wouldn't come out until well after her, though, so she had plenty of time. I wonder if Taye seemingly wanting to get out of the theatre as quickly as possible means that she isn't signing for as many people, either.

AppleSunday
#355Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/26/15 at 1:25am

""
 No, but did you somehow miss the "it's totally within your right" in mine?"

You told me I "can't truthfully say that Darren's Hedwig was lacking soul." I can, actually truthfully say that IMO his Hedwig was lacking soul.
As to the stage door situation, I know that the bodyguards did not appreciate that Darren would sometimes wait two hours or longer to even exit the theater (the Belasco marquee lights were frequently turned off before he left)  before he then started signing autographs for an additional protracted length of time. The bodyguards weren't getting home until one or two in the morning and were rather miserable."

Okay. Fine. I concede to you, SDV, who is right about all the things ever and is in no way at all prone to hateful conjecture. And Annie was just missable that night I walked past the Belasco at 12:30 when Darren was still signing and she was laughing and chatting with people. Because when he took that time coming out it was because he was sitting inside a nice tempature controlled room just laughing at everyone outside right? It's not like he was taking off the last of his makeup, removing as much glitter as possible, showering, and apparently taking the time to meet absolutely everyone who managed to get a backstage request in or anything like that. 

Updated On: 7/26/15 at 01:25 AM

Sami7
#356Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/26/15 at 1:27am

I really sincerely doubt that any of the bodyguards were made "miserable" by Darren. Or maybe the tears shed by Annie on Darren's last night were tears of joy that he was finally leaving, and all of the positive things said by Bobby re: Darren and vice versa are all for show. Did they want to get home sooner? Probably. But if they truly had a problem with him or his methods they likely would have said something during his run. Anyway, pretty sure buddy just doesn't feel like signing **** and and so he doesn't. No need to cast aspersions on Darren to figure that one out.

SDV Profile Photo
SDV
#357Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/26/15 at 1:37am

Perhaps the Darren-centric posts belong somewhere besides the Taye thread?

Sami7
#358Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/26/15 at 1:47am

"Perhaps the Darren-centric posts belong somewhere besides the Taye thread?"

Agreed! We'll follow your lead. :)

crazynovelist
#359Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/26/15 at 2:00am

I've been following this thread for a while, and I created an account just to say this, so:

It's okay to like an actor's portrayal. It's okay to dislike an actor's portrayal. But tearing each other apart for differing opinions is petty and immature. So, let's not? Let's be respectful. Comparisons are bound to be made, but a page of focusing solely on two particular actors is a bit much. This is a Taye as Hedwig thread and not a Darren Hedwig vs. Taye Hedwig thread. If you'd like to start one of those, by all means go ahead. But let's keep this thread's discussion on Taye, and let's not bring him up by tearing another actor down, and let's not tear him down by bringing another actor up.

Elfuhbuh Profile Photo
Elfuhbuh
#360Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/26/15 at 2:06am

"I've been following this thread for a while, and I created an account just to say this, so:
It's okay to like an actor's portrayal. It's okay to dislike an actor's portrayal. But tearing each other apart for differing opinions is petty and immature. So, let's not? Let's be respectful. Comparisons are bound to be made, but a page of focusing solely on two particular actors is a bit much. This is a Taye as Hedwig thread and not a Darren Hedwig vs. Taye Hedwig thread. If you'd like to start one of those, by all means go ahead. But let's keep this thread's discussion on Taye, and let's not bring him up by tearing another actor down, and let's not tear him down by bringing another actor up."

You just spoke my mind.

"Was uns befreit, das muss stärker sein als wir es sind." -Tanz der Vampire

absolutbitter
#361Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/26/15 at 2:15am

"@ChildofEarth - There is a new bodyguard for Taye, but I have no idea if that has impacted things. Darren stayed probably 1 1/2 hours (ish?) each night, and tried to get as many people as possible. I imagine some actors like that part of it more than others."

Darren has always loved this part.

"Because when he took that time coming out it was because he was sitting inside a nice tempature controlled room just laughing at everyone outside right? It's not like he was taking off the last of his makeup, removing as much glitter as possible, showering, and apparently taking the time to meet absolutely everyone who managed to get a backstage request in or anything like that."

People going backstage can't just waltz in, it was friends and friends of, and vip's his people brought in. Maybe other actors don't feel the need to entertain backstage for hours. 

Updated On: 7/26/15 at 02:15 AM

HedwigInch
#362Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/26/15 at 2:35am

It was all kinds of people who got backstage during Darren's run. His friends (VIP and non VIP), friends and relatives of other Hedwig employees, people who know someone of Darren's team or friends, other VIPs and theatre people. 

Darren loves being there for fans, always has. Don't know if he was always that long at stage door but I know for sure that he was for over an hour several times. Bobby has nothing but nice things to say about Darren so trying to imply the bodyguards must have disliked him is hysterical.

Back to Taye, he doesn't have to sign at all. Getting your Playbill signed is not included in the ticket price but I get why it's disappointing for fans if he signs a few on the other side of the stage door and then leaves.

Maybe Taye wants to get back to his kid, maybe he doesn't feel comfortable when such a big crowd demands attention from him, maybe he has to be somewhere, maybe he is just tired. It's unusual for an actor to stay over an hour so Darren shouldn't be seen as the standard. 

skies Profile Photo
skies
#363Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/26/15 at 4:23am

This thread is about Taye primarily, one presumes.

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

Phan2
#364Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/26/15 at 5:57am

I have mixed feelings about some of the issues being discussed, since I am a fan of Taye. On the one hand, I completely understand how some feel disappointed that Taye is not as prepared as they expected. I understand that with the price of a ticket for a production on Broadway, that there are high expectations.   On the other hand, I do think that different actors may demonstrate nerves/anxiety in different ways. Andrew may have shown his nerves/anxiety by looking terrified for half an hour (and the lovely man does have such an expressive face). Taye possibly may react by having trouble with his lines.   And it’s very possible that Taye may be brilliant later in his run (based on what several people in this thread have said of his potential), so it very well may be worth a try later. But I do understand if one does not wish to try to view him later, based on principle. It’s up to the individual to decide. (I just hope people give him another try.) If it’s a matter if wondering if it is worth the cost of a ticket, one may always try lottery. I don’t know what is the price of a ticket through TKTS.  I’m sure performances on some days are cheaper than other days.

On the subject of preparation, people are bringing up how NPH, Andrew and Darren were more prepared than Taye.  Of course, I'm glad that the others were prepared or fairly prepared.   I have read about how hard Neil worked to prepare for the role.  I'm hopeful that Taye will be more prepared next week. 

I don’t know why someone would raise her opinion, in the Taye thread, of how Darren’s performance failed to show he understood the soul of Hedwig, especially in the middle of a discussion of the subject of preparation for the role.   Of course, if one wants to state that Taye seems to understand the character of Hedwig, then discuss that in the Taye thread.   But I agree with others that if one wishes to discuss her opinion of the failings of Darren’s performance, move that discussion to the Darren thread, so that others who are here to discuss Taye do not need to listen to the debate. It seems there are others (including myself) who are more than happy to engage in a debate with you about Darren’s performance in the Darren thread.

As for the stage door issue, there is no evidence to show that Taye signing for fans for a short time is related in any way to Darren spending more time with the fans at stage door. Any statement that Bobby or other security personnel were not happy with Darren for the amount of time he took to exit the theater, is pure gossip/speculation (as suggested by one person).  Based on some of Bobby’s tweets, he seemed fond of Darren (and of all of the other Hedwig actors as well).

I agree with Sami7 , that Bobby had stated once that he leaves it up to the individual actor how long he wishes to be at the stage door. Bobby had mentioned that one Hedwig actor had asked Bobby to wrap things up at the stage door as soon as possible (it wasn’t clear if this was in general for that actor, or just for one night).   Bobby had said that Darren had not told Bobby something similar, so it was suggested that Bobby accepted that Darren would take more time to sign. Good for Darren for staying 1.5 hours at stage door. That’s real devotion to your fans. And hats off to Darren for being gracious with people backstage, as well as at the stage door.   Like Hedwiginch, I also heard that people who received backstage passes were not merely VIPs who “Darren’s people brought in,” but also were people who were connected to the crew and the rest of the cast who wanted to meet Darren, or who were simply VIPS of the theater and thus it would be desirable to treat them well by giving them backstage passes.   It is a bit humorous that the person who stated, in the Taye thread, that the body guards were unhappy with Darren (something that is unsubstantiated) would then suggest that discussion of Darren should not occur in the Taye thread. Perhaps one should refrain from making negative statements of Darren in the Taye thread, so that others would not feel they should respond in the Taye thread to your statements?

If I had to guess (and thus it would be speculation, as others are doing), I would imagine that Taye would want to go home earlier, especially at the beginning of his run, for several reasons (possibly feeling a bit overwhelmed at the beginning, wanting to go over his lines, feeling physically tired). Also, I don’t know if the shortened time at the stage door is related to Bobby having left the Belasco for the immediate future. (I think, but am not completely sure, that he tweeted he would be back near the holidays.) I agree with Hedwiginch that it’s nice for the fans when the actors sign at the stage door, but the actors are not obligated to do so.  It's also very possible that as Taye feels more comfortable in the role, he will spend more time at the stage door.

Updated On: 7/26/15 at 05:57 AM

AppleSunday
#365Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/26/15 at 8:27am

Thank you Phan2. You just hit everything compleatly spot on. 

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#366Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/26/15 at 8:42am

Bravo, Phan2!

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Wick3 Profile Photo
Wick3
#367Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/26/15 at 9:04am

"Two hours is a bit extreme, that would mean he didn't exit the theater until midnight? - but at least he came out and signed. Not signing seems so rude to me."

I agree. I was lucky enough to see Darren twice during his last 2 weeks in the show and yet both times, Rebecca Naomi Jones didn't exit from the stage door! No one got her autograph at all despite waiting 2 hours. Ok so most of us were there for Darren Criss but at the same time, Lena Hall always signed everyone's Playbill & even took selfies! 

I won the lottery two days ago and got to see Taye! His jokes were hilarious and I loved how he incorporated an Idina joke too! 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#368Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/26/15 at 9:08am

No performer is REQUIRED to stage door, and it is not "rude" if they choose not to.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#369Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/26/15 at 9:22am

"The show would end 9:45ish, and he didn't come out until after 11:30."

It boggles my mind that people wait that long for anyone to do anything!

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

mariel9 Profile Photo
mariel9
#370Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/26/15 at 9:32am

If I had a crowd of strangers demanding my time and attention after a hard day's work, I'd run out another door too. It's amazing to me when people sh*t talk actors for not chatting or not taking selfies or not signing. Such entitlement.

People can talk about whatever they want here, but I'm interested in Taye's performance. I've seen separate stage door threads for other shows, so maybe someone could start one. And please no more Darren.

yourheartcansing
#371Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/26/15 at 9:42am

I'm totally fine with Taye not wanting to sign at stagedoor, he's not obligated to. If I was in their position I'd probably avoid it most nights too (but i'm an introvert and that would be entirely too draining to do often).

However, I do feel they should be straightforward about it, tell the crowd he may not sign or he may not sign for long. Also, if Taye doesn't want to do it, he shouldn't post a pic of him signing on his twitter/instagram so all his fans can get their hopes up when he did it for like 5 minutes lol.

absolutbitter
#372Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/26/15 at 9:56am

Not "rude" either if they choose not to spend hours upon hours signing. Some performers don't like attention or crowds as much as others, have commitments, or are tired. Taye does what works for him, at this time of his run.

skies Profile Photo
skies
#373Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/26/15 at 10:02am

People at stage doors wait at their own risk.  If the performers comes out, great, if not, well  you chalk that up to lesson learned that there are no garuantees.

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

ChildofEarth
#374Ladies and Gentleman....Taye Diggs is your next Hedwig
Posted: 7/26/15 at 10:32am

I've been to stage doors (Shoulda Been You, Something Rotten, and BOM come to mind) where they said that certain people would or wouldn't be coming out simply to stop the congestion.

Maybe "rude" was the wrong word to use for Taye, but as someone who has been the fan waiting only to see them run to the car, I do wish they would say it.

i didn't stop the think that, as someone suggested, maybe Taye is going home as he is tired.

Then again, I'm a spoiled brat who wouldn't trade her JCM Sugar Daddy bars for a front row ticket to any of the other Hedwigs. That was an integral part of the show for me. Different strokes.

Videos