News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL Starting 9/6; Beanie Feldstein Departing 7/31- Page 7

Lea Michele to Star as Fanny Brice in FUNNY GIRL Starting 9/6; Beanie Feldstein Departing 7/31

ManOfLaMuncha
PipingHotPiccolo
#151Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/10/22 at 11:43pm

Bill Snibson said: "And in the end its all about the money. It feels like the producers, who once stood beside their choice of Beanie as Fanny, saw the financial hit last week and probably the declining ticket sales for the coming months and cut Beanie loose in hopes of bringing in a name of sorts who could, get better reviews, sell more tickets, and keep the show afloat. Pretty gross but very predictable."

which strikes me as impossible given the existence of a contract. i cant believe that Beanie signed onto a scenario where if the grosses dip, she can be pushed out. i wouldnt put it past these producers, who built a show around this girl and then hung her out to dry, but cant imagine the contract would allow for it?

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#152Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/10/22 at 11:44pm

troynow said: "NO social media ban on the understudies. Its not right."

Should there be a social media ban on the understudies? Why wouldn't they want to let people know when they go on and how excited they are about it? There's nothing wrong with that. And they haven't been out there dragging Beanie or anything. 

Penna2
#153Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/10/22 at 11:51pm

ManOfLaMuncha said: "This article states that the show's most recent box office was only 75%

https://www.yahoo.com/now/beanie-feldstein-leaving-broadway-funny-231502743.html
"

The house was only 75% - the grosses were down $380K+ last week. They have been bringing in $1.1 million with a house 85-88% or so. 

Bill Snibson Profile Photo
Bill Snibson
#154Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/10/22 at 11:55pm

They must’ve come to a financial agreement of sorts and paid her out to leave, thinking, that from their end, it will hopefully pay off. All producers are just gamblers at the end of the day really. 

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#155Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/11/22 at 12:04am

I agree. They probably bought her out of her contract just to get rid of her and possibly keep the show going through the Fall. 

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
inception Profile Photo
inception
#157Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/11/22 at 12:33am

troynow said: "
While, Beanie is misscast, the way these producers have allowed word to leak of Lea Michelle and Rosie is awful and cruel. NO social media ban on the understudies. Its not right."

If troynow is correct, I find it most interesting that Jane Lynch would not be interested in continuing with Lea Michelle.

TheatreFan4 Profile Photo
TheatreFan4
#158Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/11/22 at 12:39am

Dollypop said: "Did it occur to anyone that Sheridan Smith might be replacing Bean-o?"

Dollypop, you are 75+ years old is it possible for you to act like it and less like I did when I posted here at 16?

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#159Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/11/22 at 12:42am

If troynow is correct, I find it most interesting that Jane Lynch would not be interested in continuing with Lea Michelle."

Jane signed on for this last Fall with a six month contract, I don't think Lea was a factor in any of it. 

UWS10023 Profile Photo
UWS10023
#160Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/11/22 at 12:43am

What was she referencing when talking about taking the show in another direction? Isn’t it pretty much set in stone by now? Is she talking about some sort of deception that happened early on?

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#161Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/11/22 at 1:16am

I’ve mostly been staying out of this dumpster fire, after I spent some time defending Feldstein’s prospects prior to the beginning of previews. I was excited by the casting, and I argued against the predictions that she’d be bad. But I was "proven" wrong, and since then I’ve been staying out of it. In that same spirit, I’m gonna try not to get sucked into this thread too much, because it just feels like a stressful rabbit hole. But I feel compelled to chime in and say: 

I don’t resent people for disliking her, or for expressing that dislike honestly. But the way people have derived such a savage joy in turning her into a punching bag….it honestly just makes me sad.

On the flip side - the toxic POSITIVITY that led to this situation also makes me sad. I agree with those blaming the producers for this. Yes, Feldstein is an adult who COULD have walked away, but that isn’t and shouldn’t be her responsibility. I’m taking these words from a friend of mine when we had a conversation on this topic - she said: it’s an actor’s responsibility to seek employment for themself. It’s the producer/director’s responsibility to decide if they should be employed at that particular job.

If I woke up tomorrow to an offer to play my dream role on Broadway, I can’t honestly say I’d turn it down. Even though I surely wouldn’t have the stamina for it, and probably wouldn’t be the best person for the role. But for those very reasons (and others), I’m obviously NOT going to get offered my dream role on Broadway tomorrow.

BroadwayJeffrey
David10086 Profile Photo
David10086
#163Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/11/22 at 1:51am

Bill Snibson said: "Wow! Anyone wanna weigh-in on what exactly “the production has decided to take the show in a different direction” means? Odd to me. I can’t imagine the producers or creatives suddenly wanted her to change her performance for some new vision."

It means she’s been fired. They worked out a deal to get rid of her sooner than later. That’s the different direction. 

Or it means the show is closing July 31. Now THAT’S a different direction! 

bobby bubby
#164Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/11/22 at 2:18am

Just wanted to add to the theory about the "new direction" being the proposal for Julie and Beanie to split shows until end of September (which I suspect is what happened):

• Earlier this year, there were discussions about Julie taking all the matinees and having her contract adjusted for this. Confirmed by someone who worked in the theater, so this arrangement must have fell through somehow. So this proposal has been discussed in some form before.

• Beanie and Julie seem to have something brewing behind the scenes. They don't have the typical social media exchange that most leads do with understudies whenever they have to go on. Beanie posted on Instagram rooting for Ephie when she was covering for Fanny, and I don't believe she's ever done something like this for Julie despite the multitude of times she's covered for her. That perhaps explains why Beanie was upset about this proposal.

dearalanaaaa Profile Photo
dearalanaaaa
#165Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/11/22 at 2:38am

This whole "new replacement is announced, controversy ensues for some random  reason, everybody quits the show" situation reminds me of The Great Comet of 1812 in summer of 2018... At first this show was of interested but if the reviews were so bad, the role of Fanny is held by a random movie actress who can't sing or a popular diva broadway actress, then why even see the show at all? Just shut this place down, we don't need another Great Comet or Spiderman taking the "drama club" this seriously

bwayboy22 Profile Photo
bwayboy22
#166Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/11/22 at 2:48am

bobby bubby said: "Just wanted to add to the theory about the "new direction" being the proposal for Julie and Beanie to split shows until end of September (which I suspect is what happened):

• Earlier this year, there were discussions about Julie taking all the matinees and having her contract adjusted for this. Confirmed by someone who worked in the theater, so this arrangement must have fell through somehow. So this proposal has been discussed in some form before.
  • Beanie and Julie seem to have something brewing behind the scenes. They don't have the typical social media exchange that most leads do with understudies whenever they have to go on. Beanie posted on Instagram rooting for Ephie when she was covering for Fanny, and I don't believe she's ever done something like this for Julie despite the multitude of times she's covered for her. That perhaps explains why Beanie was upset about this proposal.

"

Beanie and Julie seemed to have a really great relationship, at least at first. When Julie made her Fanny debut she posted on instagram that Beanie left her a gift and called her a mensch. 

However today, Ephie posted on her instagram story praising Beanie calling her an exceptional human being, while Julie hasn't posted anything about it. Several cast members have shared absolutely glowing and kind comments and that's not to say the people who haven't don't like Beanie, but its certainly something to note. 

fbueller
#167Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/11/22 at 3:13am

BoringBoredBoard40 said: "Never going to work on Broadway again, what a mess"

Harvey should meet her at the stage door on Tuesday with all her dressing room contents packed up in boxes for immediate termination.

fbueller
#168Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/11/22 at 3:17am

If troynow is correct, I find it most interesting that Jane Lynch would not be interested in continuing with Lea Michelle."

Jane was also part of the problem with the current show.  Horribly miscast.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#169Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/11/22 at 4:48am

Probably already been mentioned but maybe it is a 'Great Comet' situation - Beanie = Oak. Sales are about to tank and they can't make it through September, so they are asking Beanie to 'step aside' while Lea can come in and stimulate box office demand? 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

¿Macavity?
#170Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/11/22 at 5:19am

I know people are probably kidding around, but it should be noted that Sheridan Smith had a terrible time with this show in London. Even if it were offered, which I seriously doubt it was, she wouldn't have transfered.

Link: https://twitter.com/Sheridansmith1/status/1120405315533582336?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1120405315533582336%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ftheatreboard.co.uk%2Fthread%2F6687%2Fsheridan-smith%3Fpage%3D23

BrodyFosse123 Profile Photo
BrodyFosse123
allofmylife Profile Photo
allofmylife
#172Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/11/22 at 5:29am

It's pretty simple. "If she's going south, we're going North..."  You know the rest.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=972787#3631451 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=963561#3533883 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955158#3440952 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954269#3427915 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=955012#3441622 http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/readmessage.cfm?thread=954344#3428699

¿Macavity?
#173Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/11/22 at 5:37am

BrodyFosse123 said: "Enough with the links. Geez.

Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
"

Forgive me, Brody, I'll learn how to avoid links. I'd never posted one so I didn't know how to do it right.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#174Beanie Feldstein Departing FUNNY GIRL on July 31 (Two Months Earlier Than Originally Announced)
Posted: 7/11/22 at 5:49am

Pretty sure its been stated that Lynch was always scheduled to leave in Sept.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Videos