News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

MOTOWN To Open At Lunt-Fontnne Theatre 4/14- Page 2

MOTOWN To Open At Lunt-Fontnne Theatre 4/14

leefowler
#25MOTOWN To Open At Lunt-Fontnne Theatre 4/14
Posted: 8/27/12 at 4:34pm

The Motown catalogue is one of the great treasures of American pop music, and it's never been on Broadway. I'd definitely give this one a chance.

Behind the fake tinsel of Broadway is real tinsel.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#26MOTOWN To Open At Lunt-Fontnne Theatre 4/14
Posted: 8/27/12 at 4:35pm

Taz, from BABY IT'S YOU, I learned that an actress CAN in fact walk on stage, say a line and walk back off stage more than 200 times in one production.

theaterdrew Profile Photo
theaterdrew
#27MOTOWN To Open At Lunt-Fontnne Theatre 4/14
Posted: 8/27/12 at 4:37pm

"Baby It's You" still needs context to figure out what it's about, though. "Motown" will be such an easy sell. As a tourist if s/he thinks a show about Motown would be good. Ask long as the book isn't laughably bad, I can see why this one got rushed in. If they can find a young prodigy to play the young Michael Jackson/Stevie Wonder/Berry Gordy role, they've got a hit.

Updated On: 8/27/12 at 04:37 PM

wickedfan Profile Photo
wickedfan
#28MOTOWN To Open At Lunt-Fontnne Theatre 4/14
Posted: 8/27/12 at 4:44pm

Phantom of London- You have not seen Cinderella. I have not seen Cinderella. I cannot say whether it will be a complete bomb or not. But I DO have friends who went to the most recent workshop they had and said that it is dynamite. And that was without a full orchestra or the sure-to-be-fantastic designs by Anna Louizos, William Ivey Long and Kenneth Posner. I think Cinderella will surprise us all.

"Sing the words, Patti!!!!" Stephen Sondheim to Patti LuPone.

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#29MOTOWN To Open At Lunt-Fontnne Theatre 4/14
Posted: 8/27/12 at 5:08pm

How ignorant of Michael Musto to take jabs at Valisia LeKae for quoting the Bible? I would love to know what is wrong with her quoting the Bible if that is part of her belief system. It's her site she can do as she pleases.

Updated On: 8/27/12 at 05:08 PM

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#30MOTOWN To Open At Lunt-Fontnne Theatre 4/14
Posted: 8/27/12 at 5:12pm

This is going to be next years 'Ghost', next years 'Leap of Faith' has already been taken by 'Cinderella', the show seems to be a complete borefest, remember to take your diazepam.

None of that makes any sense. I guess you're assuming a new show and a revival you've never seen will either flop or flop spectacularly because...you read a couple of paragraphs about it on the internet? Not reviews, just announcements.

For anyone thinking Motown sounds like a flop...it sounds sort of like a cross between Memphis and Smokey Joe's Cafe, but with a documentary flair. It has potential to be a wildly popular hit, but it will most likely hinge on Gordy's book.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#31MOTOWN To Open At Lunt-Fontnne Theatre 4/14
Posted: 8/27/12 at 5:17pm

'The Motown catalogue is one of the great treasures of American pop music, and it's never been on Broadway. I'd definitely give
this one a chance.'

If producers can't get Frank Sinatra with its stellar choreography and reviews to work on Broadway, then they won't get Motown to work either.

'Phantom of London- You have not seen Cinderella. I have not seen Cinderella. I cannot say whether it will be a complete bomb or not. But I DO have friends who went to the most recent workshop they had and said that it is dynamite. And that was without a full orchestra or the sure-to-be-fantastic designs by Anna Louizos, William Ivey Long and Kenneth Posner. I think Cinderella will surprise us all.'

Yeap it is very true and a great observation by you, I haven't seen 'Cinderella' and it is a mere opinion that I believe the show is going to flop, what sounds great in a workshop doesn't always transfer well to a big stage, I believe this will be the next 'On A Nice Day - You Can Live Forever', it is in a too big theatre for a start, which is a shame as Rodgers and Hammerstein are one of the greatest partnership ever.

ClapYo'Hands Profile Photo
ClapYo'Hands
#32MOTOWN To Open At Lunt-Fontnne Theatre 4/14
Posted: 8/27/12 at 5:30pm

"'On A Nice Day - You Can Live Forever'"

What. The. Hell.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#33MOTOWN To Open At Lunt-Fontnne Theatre 4/14
Posted: 8/27/12 at 5:37pm

it is in a too big theatre for a start

Really? How big is the show? What does it look like?

If producers can't get Frank Sinatra with its stellar choreography and reviews to work on Broadway, then they won't get Motown to work either.

You mean Come Fly With Me? That wasn't a biographical show nor was any of the singing performed live. It was a plotless dance concert.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 8/27/12 at 05:37 PM

CarlosAlberto
#34MOTOWN To Open At Lunt-Fontnne Theatre 4/14
Posted: 8/27/12 at 5:40pm

I love the way some people just come on here and say "It's going to flop" just because the show's premise or concept is something they necessarily do not care for and as if that is a fact and is exactly what's going to happen.

Talk about presumptuous.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#35MOTOWN To Open At Lunt-Fontnne Theatre 4/14
Posted: 8/27/12 at 5:41pm

Maybe the MOTOWN catalogue has never been on Broadway but it's on Channel 13 NYC every other week.
The catalogue is great, it's adding a story that's the tricky part.

CapnHook Profile Photo
CapnHook
#36MOTOWN To Open At Lunt-Fontnne Theatre 4/14
Posted: 8/27/12 at 7:19pm

The Backstreet Boys catalog has never been on Broadway before.

"The Spectacle has, indeed, an emotional attraction of its own, but, of all the parts, it is the least artistic, and connected least with the art of poetry. For the power of Tragedy, we may be sure, is felt even apart from representation and actors. Besides, the production of spectacular effects depends more on the art of the stage machinist than on that of the poet."
--Aristotle

Playbilly Profile Photo
Playbilly
#37MOTOWN To Open At Lunt-Fontnne Theatre 4/14
Posted: 8/27/12 at 7:30pm

I'm looking forward to it. And to the IDIOTIC naysayers, who have crapped over this show for no other reason than snottiness: Jersey Boys.

(( two snaps in a hand in your face ))

"Through The Sacrifice You Made, We Can't Believe The Price You Paid..For Love!"

CurtainPullDowner
#38MOTOWN To Open At Lunt-Fontnne Theatre 4/14
Posted: 8/27/12 at 7:46pm

I hate jersey boys.

TheLadyoftheWood Profile Photo
TheLadyoftheWood
#39MOTOWN To Open At Lunt-Fontnne Theatre 4/14
Posted: 8/28/12 at 12:12am

When did they change the title of "On A Clear Day," to "On A Nice Day?"

loliveve Profile Photo
loliveve
#40MOTOWN To Open At Lunt-Fontnne Theatre 4/14
Posted: 8/28/12 at 12:26am

Well, maybe on a clear day, you see forever... but if it's a nice day, you can live forever. May we all have nice days tomorrow MOTOWN To Open At Lunt-Fontnne Theatre 4/14

CurtainPullDowner
#41MOTOWN To Open At Lunt-Fontnne Theatre 4/14
Posted: 8/28/12 at 12:33am

How will this story differ from the DREAMGIRLS?
Beside Marvin and Michael?

CarlosAlberto
#42MOTOWN To Open At Lunt-Fontnne Theatre 4/14
Posted: 8/28/12 at 5:37am

The story will differ from DREAMGIRLS because it isn't focusing on the ups and downs of a girl group..it's focusing on the true story of the rise of a record company called MOTOWN it's founders, it's musicians and it's performers.

It will also differ from DREAMGIRLS because the music used will be hits that were actually recorded from the Motown catalogue not some pseudo-hybrid created for the Broadway stage.

Shall I continue?

CurtainPullDowner
#43MOTOWN To Open At Lunt-Fontnne Theatre 4/14
Posted: 8/28/12 at 8:45am

yes
There are going to be comparisons since Diana Ross' story is the crux of DREAMGIRLS.
Obviously the music is different.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#44MOTOWN To Open At Lunt-Fontnne Theatre 4/14
Posted: 8/28/12 at 9:09am

But this musical focuses on Diana Ross' transformation from lovable singer to insane Supreme SuperBitch (which was the original title until Stan Lee sued since that's a new comic he was working on).

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#45MOTOWN To Open At Lunt-Fontnne Theatre 4/14
Posted: 8/28/12 at 9:55am

I love the music so im actually quite looking forward to it, it all comes down to if the book is solid....and honest.

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

mallardo Profile Photo
mallardo
#46MOTOWN To Open At Lunt-Fontnne Theatre 4/14
Posted: 8/28/12 at 10:35am

I have a feeling that "Book by Berry Gordy" means a team of ghost writers.

Faced with these Loreleis, what man can moralize!

songanddanceman2 Profile Photo
songanddanceman2
#47MOTOWN To Open At Lunt-Fontnne Theatre 4/14
Posted: 8/28/12 at 12:00pm

mallardo i think you may be right

Namo i love u but we get it already....you don't like Madonna

TheresaG Profile Photo
TheresaG
#48MOTOWN To Open At Lunt-Fontnne Theatre 4/14
Posted: 8/28/12 at 2:06pm

I have no doubt that a show about Motown using their catalog of music can work very well on Broadway. The music is very catchy and for people who grew up with it, its going to be a draw.

But this show hasn't even had a workshop yet and its being booked into the Lunt-Fontanne? Or did I miss something along the way here?

CurtainPullDowner
#49MOTOWN To Open At Lunt-Fontnne Theatre 4/14
Posted: 8/28/12 at 4:07pm

Lunt Fontanne
Lunt Fontanne
Lunt Fontanne

Sorry, pet peeve.

If Gordy is involved, money is most likely not an issue, and with his name and the MOTOWN name, a workshop was a waste of time.

Videos