News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion- Page 73

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#1800SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 9:33am

I thought the article (I only read the headline) said there wouldn't be a Gypsy Robe? I can't imagine it would be of much interest to the average viewer.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#1801SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 10:02am

Whizzer- I definitely think SMASH works better as a "play with music" than a full blown musical. Maybe the leading ladies will "feud" again if they have them both up for a Tony.

Amalia Balash Profile Photo
Amalia Balash
#1802SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 10:14am

Who paid more for product placement in last night's episode, the Hotel Carter or the New York Times?

Glad to see Ivy triumph as Marilyn. Nice to see her being gracious to Karen, even if that meant Karen getting screen time. I usually like Tom, but he was so obviously using Julia as second best (even if she was) that I didn't have much sympathy for him. Hope he and Kyle had a fun evening. Zero sympathy for Jimmy. Derek's competitiveness with Bombshell was in character. I'd like to see Ivy and he work out a relationship and it seemed like that's what he wanted at the beginning of the episode. But I'm not sure that would be at all in character for him.

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#1803SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 10:22am

Oh, they will both be up for the Tony. My dream would be for them to read off the five names for Best Actress in a Musical and then not have either of them win. It could be funny and humbling for both the characters. Unfortunately I believe one of them will win.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#1804SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 10:31am

It could be the cliffhanger, Guest Star Hugh Jackman says:
"And the winner of the TONY for Best Actress in a Musical is..."
Blackout!
End of season.

Ham3
#1805SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 10:40am

Hasn't it been made plain that Ana's promotion has downgraded Karen to Featured? In which case they could both get Tonys.

Updated On: 4/21/13 at 10:40 AM

IronMan Profile Photo
IronMan
#1806SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 10:41am

When they pulled back to show the opening night party was at the Hotel Carter, I nearly fell out of my chair- it was always fun to walk by and watch horrified tourists coming out. I understand the interiors were actually filmed at the Palace Cathedral on 175th.

For those who aren't familiar with the Carter- be thankful.
Hotel Carter

"What- and quit show business?" - the guy shoveling elephant shit at the circus.

WhizzerMarvin
#1807SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 10:43am

CPD- That was the original ending of season two until the writers realized this would be the end. They rewrote and we find out the winners in the finale.

Karen is leading actress. The Diva will be nominated in Featured Actress.

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1808SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 10:45am

But the show will be saved since people are voting for it in the E! poll. 6 seasons and a movie.

elphaba.scares.me Profile Photo
elphaba.scares.me
#1809SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 10:52am

Dream scenario: Ivy wins for leading (Liaisons didn't run long enough for them to invite all the voters, so it would be every bit as ineligible as "The Performers"), Momadette wins featured over both Karen and Ana.

Tom loses direction to Derek, who also wins choreography. Julia wins book and Hit List wins score.

Gut: whoever dies (if that's true) wins a posthumous Tony over someone more deserving. Makes me think it will be Kyle, given his new flirtation with Tom; why not connect him to as many characters as possible before you off him? Hit List wins Musical.

Hope they've built in a truly ruthless Tony campaign where Eileen and the take-no-prisoners Agnes turn Jimmy's past into a weapon and tip off Page Six about the brawl the HL guys started at opening night. That would really be the only reason--strategic and designed to impress the community in the wake of the Times artice--that she would have invited the HL company. Much more plausible would be that Derek brought them all, since oh yeah, he was the choreographer.

Assuming Jennifer Hudson will be back for the Tonys, and that they'll work in people like Tom Kitt and Jerry Mitchell and Kevin McCollum for shows we haven't heard of.

Nightmare scenario? Hudson wins.

...And then Karen wakes up in Iowa and realizes it was all a stress dream about moving to New York. And Dylan Baker brings her some hot cocoa and turns off the TV, because she fell asleep on the couch watching a Marilyn Monroe marathon that culminated in "All About Eve."

Literally nothing would surprise me at this point.

Thought it was a great episode though.

WhizzerMarvin
#1810SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 10:56am

SPOILER??

Jennifer Hudson does not appear in the series again.

Jordan Catalano
#1811SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 11:05am

He's going to win the Tony for her portrayal of a 30 something year old Dorothy in THE WIZ.

dramamama611
#1812SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 11:12am

I looked at the article that I referened above (about the Gypsy Robe ceremony). As I said, I only saw the headlline and remembered it saying they weren't including that. Upon looking at it again, I realize the headline could be taken in two ways:

SMASH Will Pass on the Gypsy Robe Ceremony -- either meaning that they will share the ceremony with the Smash world (scads of folks have no knowledge of its existence) OR that they decided against it.

The article (now that I read it) states the first, but reality makes the second possibility the truth.
In case you want to see it.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#1813SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 11:20am

If anyone is going to bite the bullet, maybe it will be Jimmy. I don't want Kyle to die. It would be like killing off Bambi. from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#1814SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 11:34am

Will Liaisons perform at the Tonys?

I hope Bombshell performs "Let Me Be Your Star," but I think they'll have Ivy perform with her mom to show her off.

Updated On: 4/21/13 at 11:34 AM

ARTc
#1815SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 12:04pm

What's with Smash? Just like season 1, the whole show was dreadful until the last few episodes when FINALLY the series got interesting. Same this season. I was embarrassed until about 3 episodes ago and now the show is gripping and interesting. Yes, there are still problems, but at least its now fun to watch and you actually care about the characters. I am particularly impressed with the Jimmy makeover. He's actually become sort of nice and care worthy.

elphaba.scares.me Profile Photo
elphaba.scares.me
#1816SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 12:12pm

It would make more sense to have the Gypsy Robe ceremony at the Hit List Opening, since the Bombshell company would be a little more "been there, done that."

Except that nobody in Hit List would even be eligible. I don't think any of them have ever done a chorus contract on Broadway. And I highly doubt a pre-Broadway workshop contract counts. I guess Hit List wouldn't even get a Gypsy Robe ceremony.

And what happened to Montego Glover as the stage manager? Not sure if it was for HL or Liaisons, but her role seems to have bitten the dust. It was supposed to be a few eps, so I feel badly for her. That was thousand of dollars down the toilet right there.

One more: was Matt Bogart supposed to play JFK before Ovendon showed up? Because it is SO WEIRD that he's been in at least two episodes and literally never had a line. Although if they shoot your lines and then cut them, I think they have to pay you as a principal actor anyway.

So maybe Montego will still get those dollars after all.

Or maybe she's coming up in the final episodes. She was announced rather late in the game, IIRC.

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#1817SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 12:12pm

This season would've been a lot better a lot sooner if we didn't have the pointless mini-series The Jennifer Hudson Show: Featuring the Cast of Smash in front of it.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

dramamama611
#1818SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 12:19pm

Yes, the actors get paid for their work...not what ends up on the screen.

beautywickedlover
#1819SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 12:32pm

Here's an interview with Megan. She says that if this season's finale is indeed the series finale, she is happy with how her character's story arc has ended.

Megan Hilty Smashes Out Of Her Comfort Zone

hyperbole_and_a_half Profile Photo
hyperbole_and_a_half
#1820SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 1:08pm

Last night was really Smash Presents: The Megan Hilty Demo Reel. She looked flawless, sounded even better than flawless, her character finally realized all her hard-fought success, and she even obtained a beautifully dignified agency in her storyline with Derek.

...and, because this is Smash, I fully expect Ivy to be pregnant and strung out on horse tranquilizers in under three episodes. Still, let us remember April 20, 2013 as the day Megan Hilty was afforded a national spotlight commensurate with her considerable talent. Get it gurl!

willep
#1821SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 1:14pm

I was on the lookout for Edward Hibbert and managed to completely miss him. What scene was he in?

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#1822SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 1:24pm

hyperbole - I believe SMASH will keep Ivy the way she has been the last two episodes. I think they will end the season with Ivy winning the Tony for Best Actress and dedicating the Tony in a emotional acceptance speech to Karen who I believe they will kill off.

dramamama611
#1823SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 1:37pm

"Still, let us remember April 20, 2013 as the day Megan Hilty was afforded a national spotlight commensurate with her considerable talent."

Except no one is watching. (But I agree she was stupendous last night.)

Jordan Catalano
#1824SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 1:48pm

"...and, because this is Smash, I fully expect Ivy to be pregnant and strung out on horse tranquilizers in under three episodes"

If there's a God, this will happen.

Videos