News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion- Page 72

NBC's SMASH, Season 2 -- Discussion

karen24 Profile Photo
karen24
#1775SMASH
Posted: 4/20/13 at 10:08pm

For some reason, my DVR started recording 6 minutes into the show - just when Tom was having the conversation about City of Angels. Did I miss Donna McKechnie and Edward Hibbert in those 6 minutes? Because otherwise I can't place them in the episode at all.

I guess it was inevitable that they were going to set up a Tony competition between Karen and Ivy, but poor Ivy! I hope she gets it.

Maggie-the-schnoodle

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#1776SMASH
Posted: 4/20/13 at 10:10pm

The big shocker will be when Ivy's Mom is also considered Leading and put up against her daughter.

Ham3
#1777SMASH
Posted: 4/20/13 at 10:15pm

I thought tonight we would get "At Your Feet," the Peters number with Sophia Caruso as little Norma Jeane. It's the only number on the CD that we haven't had, and there has been a promo picture of Peters with Sophia.

Updated On: 4/20/13 at 10:15 PM

Gothampc
#1778SMASH
Posted: 4/20/13 at 10:17pm

They're having a cast party at the Hotel Carter?

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Ham3
#1779SMASH
Posted: 4/20/13 at 10:21pm

So what was negative about the Times review? I heard the good stuff about what a playwright Julia is, but didn't quite follow the other references to the Times review. (Lousy audio on my TV.)

all that jazz Profile Photo
all that jazz
#1780SMASH
Posted: 4/20/13 at 10:24pm

Do the Matildas exist in SMASH universe? If so neither Karen nor Ivy are winning.

Gothampc
#1781SMASH
Posted: 4/20/13 at 10:25pm

The retarded son is back.

If anyone ever tells you that you put too much Parmesan cheese on your pasta, stop talking to them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Ham3
#1782SMASH
Posted: 4/20/13 at 10:27pm

The Diva role will bump Karen down to Featured so she will get that Tony and Ivy will get Leading.

CurtainPullDowner Profile Photo
CurtainPullDowner
#1783SMASH
Posted: 4/20/13 at 10:30pm

And what theatre did they use for the inside of the Lyceum?
And did they call it someting else?
So many questions?
Megans gowns tonight were stunning.

ACL2006 Profile Photo
ACL2006
#1784SMASH
Posted: 4/20/13 at 10:43pm

it looked like the St. James. But why the huge gap between the front row & the orchestra??

A Chorus Line revival played its final Broadway performance on August 17, 2008. The tour played its final performance on August 21, 2011. A new non-equity tour started in October 2012 played its final performance on March 23, 2013. Another non-equity tour launched on January 20, 2018. The tour ended its US run in Kansas City and then toured throughout Japan August & September 2018.

ClumsyDude15 Profile Photo
ClumsyDude15
#1785SMASH
Posted: 4/20/13 at 11:25pm

The reason for no promos is because NBC doesn't care anymore about the show and just wants to burn it off - it'll keep airing until the end, thus it'll be on for five more weeks.

The theater used for opening night of Bombshell is the United Palace.

"Anybody that goes to the theater, I think we’re all misfits, so we ended up on stage or in the audience.” --- Patti LuPone.

kyl3fong2 Profile Photo
kyl3fong2
#1786SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 12:44am

Does the Times review seriously still matter that much for a show's success these days?

beautywickedlover
#1787SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 12:54am

I liked the episode. The duet was definitely the highlight for me. Let's see what happens when 'Hit List' gives 'Bombshell' a run for its money.

E.Davis Profile Photo
E.Davis
#1788SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 1:04am

In all seriousness, what do you think Ivy's salary for the show? Less than her mother's right?

"I think lying to children is really important, it sets them off on the right track" -Sherie Rene Scott-

JohnyBroadway
#1789SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 1:17am

I've been waiting for a Kyle and Tom hook up, for the past couple of weeks. Yay!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#1790SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 4:38am

The Times review seemed to like everything but Tom's direction. But all other papers were raves (I think).

The whole "you don't run like Lion King without a rave from the Times" is not true anymore....but I can see why they'd use it. It sounds good, and it was true for a loooooong time.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

peachesr82 Profile Photo
peachesr82
#1791SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 4:42am

Megan's Don't Forget Me and the duet were just superb tonight. I genuinely hope Broadway doesn't loose Hilty to TV and movies too much post-Smash. No one else mentioned the fact that Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman were there? That was a fun touch.

Jon
#1792SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 5:48am

Bombshell is at the "Lily Hayes Theater".

Wasn't there supposed to be a scene showing the Gypsy Robe ceremony? Did I blink and miss it?

mamaleh
#1793SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 7:26am

I didn't understand the reference Karen made to Ivy during the opening night party, something about "I'm sorry about my friend," to which Ivy responded, "That's all right" or similar. What did that refer to?

Fun seeing Steven Bogardus and then Donna McKechnie and Edward Hibbert in early scenes.

Patti LuPone FANatic Profile Photo
Patti LuPone FANatic
#1794SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 7:49am

Mam...Karen is referring to the fight between the two brothers, which was broken up by being dowsed with a container of ice. On a diff note, I'm surprised that no mention has been made of a Marily u/s for Ivy. Just wondering...from RC in Austin, Texas

"Noel [Coward] and I were in Paris once. Adjoining rooms, of course. One night, I felt mischievous, so I knocked on Noel's door, and he asked, 'Who is it?' I lowered my voice and said 'Hotel detective. Have you got a gentleman in your room?' He answered, 'Just a minute, I'll ask him.'" (Beatrice Lillie)

yankeefan7 Profile Photo
yankeefan7
#1795SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 7:58am

Whizzer - I thought this was a great episode, especially if you are a Hilty (Ivy ) fan. Ivy gets love/support/approval from her Mother (Peters). She knocks it out of the park with the closing number of Bombshell. Ivy is gracious to her former rival Karen and invites her to sing with her at opening night party. The duet with Ivy and Karen is fun and well done. Ivy is now confident in herself to brush Derek off on his sexual advance because she believes he has been "cheating" on her. The Ivy from the first season would have fell apart after hearing Derek asked Karen out.

I think it was good episode for Karen (McPhee) also. She shows that she believes she may have made a huge mistake leaving "Bombshell" while watching Ivy. She admits to Ivy that she is/was jealous of her. Like I said above, think the duet was very good and fun and like the Karen adlib of inserting Ivy's name. Karen also acted like grownup in relationship with Jimmy by asking him to control himself for her. After he got in the fight, she basically told him she has had enough of him.

I also liked bits with Tom last night. Enjoying the success of Bombshell and moving forward in his career. He basically is telling Julia it is time they both move on because he wants to move in new direction (directing). Kyle looks a little young for him (lol) but anyway might make a interesting storyline if Hit List is successful.

The ratings will probably be horrible again but I do believe the quality of the show is much better and looking forward to the last shows of this series.

Updated On: 4/21/13 at 07:58 AM

TBFL Profile Photo
TBFL
#1796SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 8:58am

I've been looking forward to hearing Ivy's Dont Forget Me, and gotta say i was a little disappointed. Karen's version is better IMO.

bryan2
#1797SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 8:58am

I cant stand that I cant stop watching this show
I still think Karen sang Don't forget me better ...much more dramatic...I still have a hard time to believe that a chorus girl fired for being drunk and no showing the Boston opening would get bankrolled for a million dollar musical...and Tom has to be the WORST actor on TV...he still is acting like he is on stage ...hammy large over the top....and all those crazy faces he makes

Updated On: 4/21/13 at 08:58 AM

WhizzerMarvin Profile Photo
WhizzerMarvin
#1798SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 9:17am

Yankeefan, I completely agree with your comments. When I said it felt like season one I meant that the focus of the episode (Bombshell and the Ivy/Karen rivalry) was a return to the strengths and original intents of the show.

This episode was a Hilty fan's dream though. I even applauded when she turned down Derek.

The only two scene partners McPhee ever comes to life with are Hilty and Davenport. It has big a mistake to deprive us of the leading ladies' feud this whole season. The scene where Karen confessed to being jealous and then the duet were some of McPhee's best moment as an actress for the entire series, IMO.

Another interesting thing to note- the past two episodes have been the strongest of season 2, and they've also featured some of the least music. Maybe Smash works better as "play with music" rather than a full-blown musical?

Marie: Don't be in such a hurry about that pretty little chippy in Frisco. Tony: Eh, she's a no chip!

Ham3
#1799SMASH
Posted: 4/21/13 at 9:24am

"Wasn't there supposed to be a scene showing the Gypsy Robe ceremony? Did I blink and miss it?"

Excellent point. There was a special press release to promote this very event. What happened, I wonder.

Videos