News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?- Page 3

NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#50NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/7/23 at 1:27am

“ And who is being disrespectful now? Do you have anything constructive to contribute to the conversation.”

I hope you have the self awareness to understand we’re talking about you <3

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#51NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/7/23 at 1:42am

The redheaded actress in question is actually Natasha Lyonne.

pmensky
#52NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/7/23 at 1:50am

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "The redheaded actress in question is actually Natasha Lyonne."

LOL! Well, still a better choice than Pink!

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#53NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/7/23 at 10:02am

Well I think the obvious solution to make everyone happy is to have Amy Adam lipsync to Pink’s vocals. There!

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#54NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/7/23 at 10:09am

If Natasha Lyonne’s adaptation of Next to Normal is as good as her adaptation of Company, I’m all in. Even though she cut too much music from it.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#55NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/7/23 at 2:42pm

barcelona20 said: "Give me Ramin please. Or Steven Pasquale. I'll be fine with either."

After "The Wild Party" with Foster, I was really let down by Pasquale. Thought his vocals would soar there, but they did not. 

I wish they'd just cast Broadway known people and trust the material. 

steven22 Profile Photo
steven22
#56NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/7/23 at 3:09pm

darquegk said: "If Natasha Lyonne’s adaptation of Next to Normal is as good as her adaptation of Company, I’m all in. Even though she cut too much music from it."

Where and when did she do Company? I loved her in Russian doll and orange is the new black; but can she sing?

Updated On: 1/7/23 at 03:09 PM

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#57NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/7/23 at 5:29pm

Ptero said revival would be preferable, agreed.

Stephanatic

Jeff Tupolski Profile Photo
Jeff Tupolski
#58NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/7/23 at 6:21pm

I don’t know if she can sing it, but Lyonne would be a much more exciting choice for me than Adams.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#59NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/7/23 at 7:41pm

Russian Doll WAS the reimagining of Company I referred to.

jimmycurry01
#60NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/8/23 at 12:49am

Jordan Catalano said: "SeanD2 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "I think the people saying Diana has to be around 38 or so are basing it off of a couple lines. One where she sings "I was a child, raising a child" and then when she says "and we were both so young" (I believe the line is) which implies she's probably 20ish at the time she had Gabe. But is there a line as to how long after the baby died, she had Natalie? And even so, they can easily switch a few words for the film - it sure as hell wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

"

"We were both undergrads. The baby wasn't planned. Neither was the marriage." - Diana. Also Natalie is stated to be 16 in the show (and at the time of what would have been Gabe's 18th birthday).
"

Thaaaaank you for that. I knew there was more that I was forgetting. And that "undergrads" line can easily be changed or omitted, should they want to.
"

I think being thrust into motherhood at an inopportune time, dropping out of college, and getting into a marriage when not ready for it might all contribute to how Diana feels and her mental state. I think it may be too important to omit or change. 

South Florida Profile Photo
South Florida
#61NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/8/23 at 10:33am

Ripley was 45 when the show opened, it's one of my favorites, hope they don't eff it up.

Stephanatic

Midnight Radio
#62NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/8/23 at 1:38pm

Imagine the tens of dollars it will make.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#63NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/16/23 at 11:22pm

Watching “Star is Born” again and thought “These two should do the N2N film”.

fashionguru_23 Profile Photo
fashionguru_23
#64NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/17/23 at 8:49am

Jordan Catalano said: "Watching “Star is Born” again and thought “These two should do the N2N film”."

I don't know if James Mason can sing the score though. Judy, on the other hand, would sound marvellous!

"Ok ok ok ok ok ok ok. Have you guys heard about fidget spinners!?" ~Patti LuPone

WesternSky2 Profile Photo
WesternSky2
#65NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/17/23 at 11:53am

I have a pretty extreme bias here, but I'd love to see Ewan McGregor as Dan.

Ftworthguy Profile Photo
Ftworthguy
#66NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/17/23 at 1:25pm

Jordan Catalano said: "Watching “Star is Born” again and thought “These two should do the N2N film”."

I've always thought that Bradley Cooper and Toni should do it, with him directing

DaveyG
#67NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/30/23 at 6:58pm

Midnight Radio said: "Imagine the tens of dollars it will make."

Sad, but true. 

BwayLB
#68NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/30/23 at 7:00pm

I’ll believe it when it comes to fruition. As underrated as N2N is and having the pleasure of seeing Alice Ripley in LA in 2010, I’m not sure if I’ll want a movie after how Dear Evan Hansen turned out.

Zeppie2022
#69NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/30/23 at 7:12pm

"I wish they'd just cast Broadway known people and trust the material."

Exactly!! They always seem to need to cast people they think will sell tickets and for the most part they are horrible. Nobody was worse IMO than Russell Crowe in Les Misérables movie.

DaveyG
#70NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/30/23 at 7:41pm

Zeppie2022 said: ""I wish they'd just cast Broadway known people and trust the material."

Exactly!! They always seem to need to cast people they think will sell tickets and for the most part they are horrible. Nobody was worse IMO than Russell Crowe in Les Misérables movie.
"

Well, they do need to cast people who will sell tickets. That's how movies are green lit. 

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#71NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/30/23 at 8:13pm

Zeppie2022 said: ""I wish they'd just cast Broadway known people and trust the material."

"

Apparently, you have not seen/heard Pierce Brosnan in Mamma Mia! nor Gerard Butler in The Phantom of the Opera. Although in Russell's case, he actually is an experienced rock singer. I've seen people make the argument that it was more of a factor of him not having the range to sing something like Les Miz. Nicole Ackman, who's my colleague at BroadwayWorld in our area of residence, once said on Twitter: "I don’t *love* Crowe’s Javert, but I don’t mind it. (I blame Hooper for my issues with the way the character is portrayed)".

If you actually look it up, Les Misérables was actually Russell's first time in a film that was a genuine box office hit since A Beautiful Mind 11 years earlier. I don't know if audiences for a while were kind of turned off by the troublemaking incidents he committed from him verbally abusing a producer after BAFTA in 2001 (which famously cost him a second consecutive Oscar) to throwing a telephone at a man in the Mercer Hotel in 2005. Although with Les Miz, that was an ensemble piece, so the marketing pressure wasn't all on him in particular.

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#72NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/30/23 at 8:30pm

DaveyG said: "Zeppie2022 said: "Well, they do need to cast people who will sell tickets. That's how movies are green lit."

Although if a film is mainly being released on a streaming service, audiences wouldn't have to buy tickets at all. Having a known commodity (such as an actor, filmmaker, or both) attached to any movie is always going to help in terms of getting it made to begin with. The same thing could even be said about a TV show and/or a Broadway production. Whether or not it turns out to be a commercial success is a different story. For a while within this past decade, people have questioned if the era of the "movie star" is over. That would be due to a majority of famous actors working today who just aren't consistent in delivering good box office numbers. In fact, those who have proven to be consistent are very few and far between.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#73NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/30/23 at 9:00pm

The question of “why” becomes “why this way.” If you’re going to make a movie, but you decide to use stage folks instead of screen veterans, will they give as good a performance as the screen folks? And if so, would they give a better performance for film or as a filmed stage capture? And if you aren’t expecting to make a ton of money anyway, wouldn’t it be easier then to just produce a really good stage production and not distribute it?

The more steps you take away from Hollywood the more convoluted the logic of the process becomes.

Zeppie2022
#74NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/31/23 at 9:13am

"Apparently, you have not seen/heard Pierce Brosnan in Mamma Mia! nor Gerard Butler in The Phantom of the Opera. Although in Russell's case, he actually is an experienced rock singer. I've seen people make the argument that it was more of a factor of him not having the range to sing something like Les Miz."

Actually, I did see Pierce Brosnan in "Mamma Mia", and he was awful, but Crowe was much worse IMO. "Les Miz" requires a lot more talented singer than a musical with songs from the pop group ABBA. In other words, Crowe's inability to handle the singing required comes off worse than Brosnan. No right or wrong, just difference of opinion.

Videos