News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?- Page 2

NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?

Jeffrey Karasarides Profile Photo
Jeffrey Karasarides
#25NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 9:21am

For a while, I was thinking that a film adaptation should be directed by Lin-Manuel Miranda starring Anne Hathaway and Jake Gyllenhaal.

SouthernCakes
#26NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 11:00am

pmensky said: "Bettyboy72 said: "pmensky said: "Bettyboy72 said: "I love Amy, she’s a great actress, but she doesn’t have the vocal chops for the score. I’m not up for another dumbed down score that gets enhanced in the studio. Boo.

Too bad they didn’t cast Pink or someone who can wail a rock score.
"

You’ve clearly never heard Amy Adams sing live, or you wouldn’t be making such an uninformed statement about dumbing down the score. But considering you think Pink, who has zero acting experience, should play one of the most challenging acting roles written for the musical theatre, I’m wouldn’t be surprised if most of your opinions are uninformed.
"

First, Pink has acted before so your “zero” comment is uninformed and makes you look foolish. She has been in film and television projects and is one of the most primal vocalists. She conveys raw emotions on a visceral level beautifully. Most of Diana’s hardest scenes are delivered in song. Pink could handle this challenge exquisitely

Second, Amy has a great voice. No denying it She doesn’t have a rock voice. I’ve seen her sing many times including that Defying Gravity karaoke in which the belt isn’t quite there. I just don’t want her belt cleaned up in the studio. That completely takes the teeth out of the score. That’s all I’m saying.
"

Oh, really? Please share with the group some highlights of Pink’s acting resume, particularly the ones that make you think she’s qualified to play Diana. I’m looking at her IMDb profile, and I’m not seeing anything but music videos and a couple appearances playing rock singers in movies and a voiceover role in Happy Feet Two. She is completely unqualified, and the suggestion that she is is downright stupid.
"

Why are you so angry? 

Pink might not have the experience Adams has, but listen to Pink sing any song and the way she conveys emotion through her vocals is gorgeous. She would nail this part and it would make for an epic movie event. I don’t see it happening but it would be amazing. 

Ke3
#27NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 1:49pm

I'd rather play in traffic than watch Pink do Next to Normal as her first attempt at being a serious actress.

SeanD2
#28NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 2:30pm

HeyMrMusic said: "Jordan Catalano said: "WE WANT TONI! WE WANT TONI! WE WANT TONI!"

The first person who comes to mind and the only mentioned so far who would do it justice.
"

Toni is far too old for the role as written for the stage. She should be no more than 39 years old and Toni is 50 and, more importantly, reads 50 on film at this point.

perfectliar
#29NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 2:49pm

darquegk said: "So who does James Marsden play? Are you even allowed to do a movie musical and not cast him?"

Did you mean James Corden? Because Marsden has only done Hairspray and Enchanted (both over 15 years ago) and Disenchanted last year.

perfectliar
#30NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 2:51pm

SeanD2 said: "HeyMrMusic said: "Jordan Catalano said: "WE WANT TONI! WE WANT TONI! WE WANT TONI!"

The first person who comes to mind and the only mentioned so far who would do it justice.
"

Toni is far too old for the role as written for the stage. She should be no more than 39 years old and Toni is 50 and, more importantly, reads 50 on film at this point.
"

Amy Adams is 48 and doesn't exactly read as a Millennial on film.

Alex Kulak2
#31NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 3:14pm

My wild card opinion is that Ari Aster should direct this movie.

He's said in interviews that he kind of stumbled into doing horror movies and wants to direct a musical.

pmensky
#32NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 3:16pm

SouthernCakes said: Why are you so angry?

Pink might not have the experience Adams has, but listen to Pink sing any song and the way she conveys emotion through her vocals is gorgeous. She would nail this part and it would make for an epic movie event. I don’t see it happening but it would be amazing."

The angry person is the one booing over a talented, totally qualified actress playing the role while endorsing an inexperienced rock star. No anger, just spittin’ fax and truth telling. 

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#33NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 3:40pm

SeanD2 said: "HeyMrMusic said: "Jordan Catalano said: "WE WANT TONI! WE WANT TONI! WE WANT TONI!"

"

"

It’s very plausible for a 50-year-old woman to have a teenage child.

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#34NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 3:51pm

I think the people saying Diana has to be around 38 or so are basing it off of a couple lines. One where she sings "I was a child, raising a child" and then when she says "and we were both so young" (I believe the line is) which implies she's probably 20ish at the time she had Gabe. But is there a line as to how long after the baby died, she had Natalie? And even so, they can easily switch a few words for the film - it sure as hell wouldn't be the first time that's happened. 

SouthernCakes
#35NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 4:04pm

pmensky said: "SouthernCakes said: Why are you so angry?

Pink might not have the experience Adams has, but listen to Pink sing any song and the way she conveys emotion through her vocals is gorgeous. She would nail this part and it would make for an epic movie event. I don’t see it happening but it would be amazing."

The angry person is the one booing over a talented, totally qualified actress playing the role while endorsing an inexperienced rock star. No anger, just spittin’ fax and truth telling.

That’s not the mic drop you wish it was. Love me some Amy Adams but she doesn’t have the grit in her voice for this and I’d hate for them to auto tune the crap out of this. 

SeanD2
#36NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 4:08pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I think the people saying Diana has to be around 38 or so are basing it off of a couple lines. One where she sings "I was a child, raising a child" and then when she says "and we were both so young" (I believe the line is) which implies she's probably 20ish at the time she had Gabe. But is there a line as to how long after the baby died, she had Natalie? And even so, they can easily switch a few words for the film - it sure as hell wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

"

"We were both undergrads. The baby wasn't planned. Neither was the marriage." - Diana. Also Natalie is stated to be 16 in the show (and at the time of what would have been Gabe's 18th birthday). 

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#37NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 4:08pm

Love Pink but…not for this. Love Adams but I’m, cautious to say the least. And her singing in Into The Woods ain’t really telling me she can pull this off.

Jordan Catalano
#38NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 4:10pm

SeanD2 said: "Jordan Catalano said: "I think the people saying Diana has to be around 38 or so are basing it off of a couple lines. One where she sings "I was a child, raising a child" and then when she says "and we were both so young" (I believe the line is) which implies she's probably 20ish at the time she had Gabe. But is there a line as to how long after the baby died, she had Natalie? And even so, they can easily switch a few words for the film - it sure as hell wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

"

"We were both undergrads. The baby wasn't planned. Neither was the marriage." - Diana. Also Natalie is stated to be 16 in the show (and at the time of what would have been Gabe's 18th birthday).
"

Thaaaaank you for that. I knew there was more that I was forgetting. And that "undergrads" line can easily be changed or omitted, should they want to. 

ElephantLoveMedley
#39NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 4:16pm

If this is true, I hope it marks a turnaround for Adams' career. I haven't enjoyed a single one of her films over the last several years (Hillbilly Elegy, The Woman in the WindowDisenchantedDear Evan Hansen...)

Ravenclaw
#40NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 4:19pm

Jordan Catalano said: "I think the people saying Diana has to be around 38 or so are basing it off of a couple lines. One where she sings "I was a child, raising a child" and then when she says "and we were both so young" (I believe the line is) which implies she's probably 20ish at the time she had Gabe. But is there a line as to how long after the baby died, she had Natalie? And even so, they can easily switch a few words for the film - it sure as hell wouldn't be the first time that's happened."

Definitely could be easily changed in adaptation, but the lines that reference their ages are:

1) In a flashback, when Diana first finds out she's pregnant, Dan says "I know we're young, but we're not, I'm almost 22"

2) In a therapy session with Dr. Madden, Diana says "We were both undergrads... architecture... when the baby came it all seemed to make sense" possibly implying they were still in college when they had Gabe

3) Gabe died at "just 8 months old" (in "How Could I Ever Forget"NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?, he would now be turning 18 (opening lines of the show "I'm almost 18, mom" and also referenced in "I'm Alive"--"isn't that about the age when kids typically move out?"NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?

These facts together put Diana and Dan at about 40. But they're such little lines, it does not impact the integrity of the piece if Dan and Diana are 25 when they have Gabe instead of 21.

SouthernCakes
#41NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 7:15pm

Why, culturally, are we so obsessed with age? Like a 50 year old can play a 40 year old. It’s not that different, etc. always splitting hairs over who can play what. 

pmensky
#42NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 7:23pm

SouthernCakes said: "pmensky said: "SouthernCakes said: Why are you so angry?

"

That’s not the mic drop you wish it was. Love me some Amy Adams but she doesn’t have the grit in her voice for this and I’d hate for them to auto tune the crap out of this.
"

Im so glad that you’re so informed about Amy Adams’ voice and all its strengths, weaknesses and nuances. I’m sure the powers that be will read this and totally change their mind about casting her. You’ve done a great service for us all. 

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#43NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 9:46pm

Good, LORD! Why are people being so f*cling snarky over someone saying THEY do not think someone is fit for a role? Nobody hasn’t even been disrespectful, besides the above comment… Get over yourself, sweets.

pmensky
#44NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 10:01pm

n2nbaby said: "Good, LORD! Why are people being so f*cling snarky over someone saying THEY do not think someone is fit for a role? Nobody hasn’t even been disrespectful, besides the above comment… Get over yourself, sweets."

And who is being disrespectful now? Do you have anything constructive to contribute to the conversation? 

Chase Miller
#45NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 10:36pm

I immediately thought of Julianne Moore when they said red-headed. She'd be a great Diana (acting wise). I cant picture Amy Adams as Diana at all. Just get people who can really sing that beautiful score. I'd love to see Brian D'Arcy in this. I remember people were floating around Robert Downey Jr as the dad a couple years ago.

Updated On: 1/6/23 at 10:36 PM

Jordan Catalano
#46NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 10:42pm

Moore is 62, so get ready for peoples heads to explode when they read that. 

barcelona20
#47NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 11:19pm

Give me Ramin please. Or Steven Pasquale. I'll be fine with either.

darquegk Profile Photo
darquegk
#48NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/6/23 at 11:28pm

Ever since seeing Kidding, I’ve wanted Jim Carey as Dr. Madden. 

n2nbaby Profile Photo
n2nbaby
#49NEXT TO NORMAL Film Adaptation On The Way?
Posted: 1/7/23 at 12:28am

pmensky said: "n2nbaby said: "Good, LORD! Why are people being so f*cling snarky over someone saying THEY do not think someone is fit for a role? Nobody hasn’t even been disrespectful, besides the above comment… Get over yourself, sweets."

And who is being disrespectful now? Do you have anything constructive to contribute to the conversation?
"

Yep, about as much as you do.

Videos