News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

Phillipa Soo, Andrew Burnap & Jordan Donica to Star in LCT’s CAMELOT, Spring 2023- Page 3

Phillipa Soo, Andrew Burnap & Jordan Donica to Star in LCT’s CAMELOT, Spring 2023

TotallyEffed Profile Photo
TotallyEffed
#50Phillipa Soo, Andrew Burnap & Jordan Donica to Star in LCT’s CAMELOT, Spring 2023
Posted: 11/1/22 at 5:51pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "I feel kinda bad for Ashley Park. Wasn't she Guinevere in the workshop? This feels like she was passed over for someone with "name recognition," which is especially silly since only theatre people know or care who Phillipa Soo is.

Interesting that Himesh Patel isn't Arthur, since that was the rumor. As often happens, I imagine he was offered the role but a film or TV show offered him way more money.
"

Feel bad for her? She’s rolling in TV and commercial dough and clearly too busy for a Broadway run.

TaffyDavenport Profile Photo
TaffyDavenport
#51Phillipa Soo, Andrew Burnap & Jordan Donica to Star in LCT’s CAMELOT, Spring 2023
Posted: 11/1/22 at 6:10pm

The Distinctive Baritone said:

"Interesting that Himesh Patel isn't Arthur, since that was the rumor. As often happens, I imagine he was offered the role but a film or TV show offered him way more money."

I wouldn't be surprised if that rumor was true, but he's going to be starring in Dan Levy's directorial debut, which was announced 2 weeks ago.

The Distinctive Baritone Profile Photo
The Distinctive Baritone
#52Phillipa Soo, Andrew Burnap & Jordan Donica to Star in LCT’s CAMELOT, Spring 2023
Posted: 11/1/22 at 6:36pm

TotallyEffed, I think you are right. Based on her IMDB page, she is making that rare leap from musical theatre performer to film actor very well. Good for her - perhaps it was she who turned them down?

(Her IMDB page for those interested: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3594940/

Sutton Ross Profile Photo
Sutton Ross
#53Phillipa Soo, Andrew Burnap & Jordan Donica to Star in LCT’s CAMELOT, Spring 2023
Posted: 11/1/22 at 7:09pm

I’ll wait for his vocals in Camelot but not holding my breath. Prefer a bigger sounding voice. 

Did you have anyone specific in mind? And what do you mean by safe? Because casting people who are not names outside of Broadway is definitely not safe. 

inception Profile Photo
inception
#54Phillipa Soo, Andrew Burnap & Jordan Donica to Star in LCT’s CAMELOT, Spring 2023
Posted: 11/1/22 at 7:15pm

The Distinctive Baritone said: "I feel kinda bad for Ashley Park. Wasn't she Guinevere in the workshop? This feels like she was passed over for someone with "name recognition," which is especially silly since only theatre people know or care who Phillipa Soo is.

According to nexttv.com:

"Around 2.7 million households streamed the recorded version of Broadway hit Hamilton from when it debuted on Disney Plus July 3 through July 13 (2020), smart TV analytics company Samba TV said.

Samba TV makes the case that the Disney Plus viewership of Hamilton in those first 10 days exceeded not only the number of folks who saw the show on Broadway, but also those who saw a production of the stage hit anywhere. "

So...I think more than just "theatre people" know who she is.

Sutton Ross
#55Phillipa Soo, Andrew Burnap & Jordan Donica to Star in LCT’s CAMELOT, Spring 2023
Posted: 11/1/22 at 7:47pm

Lolz. People who would watch a musical like Hamilton knows who she is. Yup. But, if I asked you to name the shows she has been on or any other musical besides Hamilton she's been in? Yeah, she's not a household name in any capacity. Before Younger, neither was Sutton Foster. 

SouthernCakes
#56Phillipa Soo, Andrew Burnap & Jordan Donica to Star in LCT’s CAMELOT, Spring 2023
Posted: 11/1/22 at 8:53pm

Sutton Ross said: "I’ll wait for his vocals in Camelot but not holding my breath. Prefer a bigger sounding voice.

Did you have anyone specific in mind? And what do you mean by safe? Because casting people who are not names outside of Broadway is definitely not safe.

"

In this particular case, it’s safe. LCT is a non-profit. So they aren’t getting the usual Broadway minimum, actor wise. 

And vocally, I prefer a bigger voice that soars like a Joshua Henry or a Ryan Vasquez (probably spelled his last name wrong) who was stellar in The Notebook. 

Soo is terrific, but she’ one note to me. She’s not gonna give you a physical performance the way someone like Donna Murphy might morph into a character. She’ll be pretty and sound pretty. Same for the other two men. 

I’m sure Sher will have the actors moving the sets around the state, etc. 

Again, happy to be wrong but his last three outings didn’t work for me on a lot of levels. 

TarHeelAlan
#57Phillipa Soo, Andrew Burnap & Jordan Donica to Star in LCT’s CAMELOT, Spring 2023
Posted: 11/1/22 at 9:34pm

So if I join LC for two people for $100 total, I understand that I can purchase a pair of tickets on November 9 before the general public. What about ticket discounts? The membership page says "Absurdly reasonable ticket prices -- currently just $52 to $82 for tickets regularly priced at $77 to $187 (prices include a $2 LCT facility fee)." Am I likely to see similar discounts for Camelot during the presale? Thanks in advance for any info. 

Chase Miller
#58Phillipa Soo, Andrew Burnap & Jordan Donica to Star in LCT’s CAMELOT, Spring 2023
Posted: 11/1/22 at 9:50pm

I want to get excited for this casting but it seems too conventional to me. They just don't seem like inspired choices. Hope I'm proven wrong. Anyone know is rumored to play Merlin? 

TaffyDavenport
#59Phillipa Soo, Andrew Burnap & Jordan Donica to Star in LCT’s CAMELOT, Spring 2023
Posted: 11/1/22 at 9:58pm

TarHeelAlan said: "So if I join LC for two people for $100 total, I understand that I can purchase a pair of tickets on November 9 before the general public. What about ticket discounts? The membership page says "Absurdly reasonable ticket prices -- currently just $52 to $82 for tickets regularly priced at $77 to $187 (prices include a $2 LCT facility fee)." Am I likely to see similar discounts for Camelot during the presale? Thanks in advance for any info."

$52 to $82 is the price range for all LCT productions at the Mitzi Newhouse and the Beaumont, as well as any of their shows that run in other Broadway houses. I believe prices for Camelot will be $72 plus fees for previews, and $82 plus fees after opening, and that applies to any non-premium seats,

Updated On: 11/1/22 at 09:58 PM

TarHeelAlan
#60Phillipa Soo, Andrew Burnap & Jordan Donica to Star in LCT’s CAMELOT, Spring 2023
Posted: 11/1/22 at 10:17pm

Thanks, Taffy. Any advice on best non-premium seats?

Updated On: 11/1/22 at 10:17 PM

stoptheworld38 Profile Photo
stoptheworld38
#61Phillipa Soo, Andrew Burnap & Jordan Donica to Star in LCT’s CAMELOT, Spring 2023
Posted: 11/1/22 at 10:25pm

Oh I am excited for this!

Wondering though what this means regarding a Suffs transfer and/or a potential Guys and Dolls Broadway run. If either/both of those will come to Broadway this spring without Phillipa, or if they'll wait til she's done with Camelot?

you found your heart but left a part of you behind <3

Peppa222
#62Phillipa Soo, Andrew Burnap & Jordan Donica to Star in LCT’s CAMELOT, Spring 2023
Posted: 11/1/22 at 10:25pm

I don't think Phillipa Soo is any more of a "name" than Ashley Park. If anything, they're on pretty even footing: Broadway credits, Tony noms, streaming hits (Hamilton & Emily in Paris). If social media is any metric, Ashley Park has nearly a million more followers than Soo on Instagram.

BCfitasafiddle
#63Phillipa Soo, Andrew Burnap & Jordan Donica to Star in LCT’s CAMELOT, Spring 2023
Posted: 11/1/22 at 10:28pm

Ashley Park is on a roll with TV and film. It is the same reason as to why we didn't get her as Cinderella in Into the Woods. She's a Broadway girl and will be back when the time is right. 

Dan6
#64Phillipa Soo, Andrew Burnap & Jordan Donica to Star in LCT’s CAMELOT, Spring 2023
Posted: 11/1/22 at 10:29pm

TaffyDavenport said: "$52 to $82 is the price range for all LCT productions at the Mitzi Newhouse and the Beaumont, as well as any of their shows that run in other Broadway houses. I believe prices for Camelotwill be $72 plus fees for previews, and $82 plus fees after opening, and that applies to any non-premium seats."

Taffy, do you happen to know if members can buy additional tickets during the presale (which I assume would be at the nonmember price)?

TaffyDavenport
#65Phillipa Soo, Andrew Burnap & Jordan Donica to Star in LCT’s CAMELOT, Spring 2023
Posted: 11/1/22 at 10:33pm

TarHeelAlan said: "Thanks, Taffy. Any advice on best non-premium seats?"

Anything in orchestra sections 200 to 400 is generally the most desirable.

ErmengardeStopSniveling Profile Photo
ErmengardeStopSniveling
#66Phillipa Soo, Andrew Burnap & Jordan Donica to Star in LCT’s CAMELOT, Spring 2023
Posted: 11/1/22 at 10:42pm

stoptheworld38 said: "Oh I am excited for this!

Wondering though what this means regarding a Suffs transfer and/or a potential Guys and Dolls Broadway run. If either/both of those will come to Broadway this spring without Phillipa, or if they'll wait til she's done with Camelot?
"

Was there ANY reality to either of those shows moving? Do they have a promise from a theatre owner? Both are risky propositions (unless SUFFS has done some retooling).

TaffyDavenport
#67Phillipa Soo, Andrew Burnap & Jordan Donica to Star in LCT’s CAMELOT, Spring 2023
Posted: 11/1/22 at 10:47pm

Dan6 said: "TaffyDavenport said: "$52 to $82 is the price range for all LCT productions at the Mitzi Newhouse and the Beaumont, as well as any of their shows that run in other Broadway houses. I believe prices for Camelotwill be $72 plus fees for previews, and $82 plus fees after opening, and that applies to any non-premium seats."

Taffy, do you happen to know if members can buy additional tickets during the presale (which I assume would be at the nonmember price)?
"

I don't believe so. It's just 1 ticket per membership.

PipingHotPiccolo
#68Phillipa Soo, Andrew Burnap & Jordan Donica to Star in LCT’s CAMELOT, Spring 2023
Posted: 11/1/22 at 10:49pm

On the one hand, kudos to them for hoping the plays the thing, and casting non-names for these roles. None of these three are going to sell tickets beyond the first few weeks/months of Bway nerds like me.

I cant wait to see what Sorkin does with it, and cant wait to hear this score again. I think Soo is a fine choice but not particularly exciting, though I thought Burnap was other worldly in The Inheritance and cant wait to see what he/they do with King Arthur. 

Seems like this is a classic example of the way the rumor mill harms these announcements. True or not, hearing they were hoping to snag Rhys or Patel makes Burnap (again, who i love) feel like a let down. 

Chase Miller
#69Phillipa Soo, Andrew Burnap & Jordan Donica to Star in LCT’s CAMELOT, Spring 2023
Posted: 11/2/22 at 1:25am

Hamilton came out almost a decade ago. How crazy is that? Time is just flying. 

Owen22
#70Phillipa Soo, Andrew Burnap & Jordan Donica to Star in LCT’s CAMELOT, Spring 2023
Posted: 11/2/22 at 3:09am

The Distinctive Baritone said: "Interesting that Himesh Patel isn't Arthur, since that was the rumor. As often happens, I imagine he was offered the role but a film or TV show offered him way more money."

Himish Patel was supposed to be Arthur???? Now I'm a little less thrilled with Andrew's casting....

willep
#71Phillipa Soo, Andrew Burnap & Jordan Donica to Star in LCT’s CAMELOT, Spring 2023
Posted: 11/2/22 at 6:29am

stoptheworld38 said: "Oh I am excited for this!

"

Even Shaina Taub knows Suffs isn’t ready for a transfer, she said as much during As You Like It this summer, that she hopes it lives on but knows that she has to work on it more. And as for Guys and Dolls? Did anyone actually think that was going to transfer? 

stoptheworld38 Profile Photo
stoptheworld38
#72Phillipa Soo, Andrew Burnap & Jordan Donica to Star in LCT’s CAMELOT, Spring 2023
Posted: 11/2/22 at 1:19pm

ErmengardeStopSniveling said: "stoptheworld38 said: "Oh I am excited for this!

"

Was there ANY reality to either of those shows moving? Do they have a promise from a theatre owner? Both are risky propositions (unless SUFFS has done some retooling).
"

Several theatres that are either currently empty or have limited engagements ending in early 2023 have yet to announce spring shows. I haven't really been following Guys and Dolls but I have indeed heard/seen rumors of a Suffs transfer, possibly even as soon as this spring. Although this page had said spring 2023 when I checked a couple weeks ago but is now saying spring 2024. https://www.nytix.com/shows/suffs Not sure if that's a result of Phillipa being booked with Camelot or the show not being ready yet or a combination or some other reason(s) or if it'll be some completely different time frame. Site looks legit although I find it hard to believe they would be able to have accurate dates for something almost a full year and a half from now. I'm taking any rumors as nothing more than just that until/unless there's an official announcement, I'm just saying the rumors are there. And theoretically even if it were to transfer as soon as March/April of this coming year (obviously in that case without Phillipa) that's far enough out that there would be time for further reworking (of which some has likely already been done) and/or even a potential limited engagement out of town run.

I'm no expert, just simply stating what I've read/found.

In any case, Phillipa Soo has been continually thriving lately between Suffs and ITW and Guys and Dolls and now Camelot and we love to see it! Psyched about Jordan Donica as well. I first became familiar with him when he was a guest performer with the Young People's Chorus of NYC back in 2018 (sidenote, check the group out, they're phenomenal) and I cannot get over his On the Street Where You Live.

you found your heart but left a part of you behind <3

EDSOSLO858 Profile Photo
EDSOSLO858
#73Phillipa Soo, Andrew Burnap & Jordan Donica to Star in LCT’s CAMELOT, Spring 2023
Posted: 11/2/22 at 1:25pm

For the umpteenth time on these boards, never trust nytix.com on forthcoming Broadway shows. It's not as reliable as something like Playbill or Broadway.org.

Oh look, a bibu!

Sutton Ross
#74Phillipa Soo, Andrew Burnap & Jordan Donica to Star in LCT’s CAMELOT, Spring 2023
Posted: 11/2/22 at 1:26pm

Psyched about Jordan Donica as well. I first became familiar with him when he was a guest performer with the Young People's Chorus of NYC back in 2018 (sidenote, check the group out, they're phenomenal) and I cannot get over his On the Street Where You Live.

That's awesome, I didn't know he was a performer for them. They are phenomenal. And same with On the Street Where You Live. Brilliant. 

Videos