News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?- Page 3

SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#50SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 4:16pm

I was going to see 'Scottsboro Boys', but ended up going to the 'Pee Wee Herman Show'.

twinbelters Profile Photo
twinbelters
#51SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 4:18pm

Very sad news. That's it for original Kander and Ebb musicals on Broadway.

With Irma you gotta do something!

A Director
#52SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 4:22pm

Holbee - You sure are patronizing to African-American audiences.

Mr. Roxy - Have you see Spiderman?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#53SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 4:32pm

This is one final performance I need to attend. The last performance of the last Kander and Ebb show. Just typing that out makes me tear up.

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#54SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 4:39pm

^Don't worry, Jordan. I've been tearing up all day too. And I'll be at the final performance too, probably tearing up before it even starts (just like I did at South Pacific closing and will inevitably at Next to Normal closing).

hockeynut2
#55SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 4:42pm

It's a damn shame that 'Naked Boys Singing" has been running for 12 years and a masterpiece like The Scottsboro Boys is about to close. The Scottsboro Boys was one of the greatest theatre experiences of my life. Thank God they have a great CD of the show. If you haven't seen it, run and get tickets before it closes.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#56SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 4:46pm

Clearly all the producers of lowbrow musicals on broadway should shut their money-making shows so that SCOTTSBORO BOYS can keep running.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 11/30/10 at 04:46 PM

hottieho13 Profile Photo
hottieho13
#57SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 5:10pm

A Director -That's the reason why I didn't want to see The Scottsboro Boys.Even though ticket prices are not a issue for me and I don't like Tyler Perry, I still don't like watching shows making light of something so horrible.maybe people just can't/won't be able to understand that, that time in history is very hurtful to someone who is affected by it.(so they just don't go see it,sucks but hey it's true.if you don't like something you don't have to sit through it or bother with it. someone that wants to see it,then go see it!)But i would simply never want to see a play about the murder of let say Emmett Till with such a minstrel affect.maybe if it was a small play or not taken so lightly.But why can't the open the Scottsboro Boys Off broadway?It still has a strong fan base and if the Naked Boys Singing musical can run 12+years and Rent will be coming off broadway next year why not let the Scottsboro Boys have it's time in the sun?if it's moronic to not see something that will bother you, then i guess that's me!

Yankeefan007
#58SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 5:13pm

I don't think anything in SCOTTSBORO BOYS makes light of the situation at hand. That's an uninformed opinion.

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#59SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 5:16pm

I got tears in my eyes when I heard. What an amazing piece of theatre. I am so fortunate that I was able to see it before closing. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT forget about this come Tony season! It deserves soo much more. The score was incredible. The book was great. The performances were amazing! The cast and crew really worked so hard to make this show amazing and it's too bad it only lasted a few short months.

On a lighter note, whoever said The Lyceum is where little shows go to die was absolutely 100% true!

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#60SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 5:17pm

HottieHo -- you know not of what you speak.

The Scottsboro Boys USES the Minstrel Show to FURTHER illustrate how horried treatment of blacks in this country was. There is NOTHING light or in jest about the situations. It was one of the most intense, heartfelt and moving experiences I've ever had in a theater.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

wonkit
#61SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 5:23pm

This is an amazing evening in the theater. Don't let any pre-conceptions stop you from seeing a talented cast bring this piece of American history to life. You will regret having missed it.

hottieho13 Profile Photo
hottieho13
#62SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 5:24pm

I saw the previews of it and yes it does!In my OPINION it's a valid reason for not wanting to go see!so it's not uninformed because I did see video clips of it!i guess you can say the musical is based on irony but to ME it's NOT.Would you want to see a musical with comic singing and dancing about the Holocaust?Is there ever a dramatic or non-misnstrel part in the show?are you Black?yes i know it's wierd to ask that but being a black person their are things in Black history that obviously MAY be hurtful to people who are black than people who are not.so please don't sit there and tell me that my Opinion is "Uninformed"(and i think you mean"misinformed")just because I know that i don't want to see something like that.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#63SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 5:26pm

hottieho13, you haven't seen the show, so yes it is uninformed. The biggest claim you can make is that you didn't like what you saw in the preview, but you don't know anything about the show.

[removed out of troll-guilt]

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 11/30/10 at 05:26 PM

hottieho13 Profile Photo
hottieho13
#64SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 5:28pm

Plus i live in california but i was visiting in april and i thought the show would be running AT LEAST till then.my mom was saying she wanted to see it i don't?didn't but since i usually pick the shows we see i felt it was fair.but did the show have dramatic types of moments in it and not sining and dancing all the time?

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#65SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 5:29pm

Would I want to see a show using comedic singing and dancing to tell a story about the holocaust? I don't know, what's the show? Because until I see it and know if the comedy is used in a way that tells the story in a unique way
that doesn't diminish what my people went through and at the same time honors their stories, I won't make that judgment. But I can guarantee you that if that show ever gets made I'll actually GO SEE IT before passing said judgment.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#66SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 5:29pm

Guhh..I feel guilty now you seem a lot younger than I thought you were.

hottieho13 Profile Photo
hottieho13
#67SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 5:39pm

@ qolbinau : I actually liked your analogy!not about my mom's breast(whom actually has ever seen their mom's breast?other than breastfeeding?)But when i hear the word minstrel show,I usually think about black-face and such.they didn't say "minstrel- type" show they said "MINSTREL"show then i saw the previews,i tried looking for a bootleg clip of it on youtube(couldn't find one).so what else am i gonna base it on?did anyone here look at the Spider-man perview and say "oh yes i must go see this!"or "no way,not interested"?

Yankeefan007
#68SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 5:41pm

"is there ever a dramatic or non-misnstrel part in the show?"

Yes, actually, there is. 90%, actually, considering that the Minstrel Format is just the framing device.

hottieho13 Profile Photo
hottieho13
#69SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 5:46pm

@ qolbinau :don't feel guilty i'm 22(is that old ?it sure does feel like it)I guess it just feels wierd to see a musical about something like that.I love musicals and I always like seeing something new and different"like ITH didn't think i would really like it ,saw it and was said "this is the most beautiful musical i ever saw-so far,it actually rivaled Rent for me and I am a Rent head.But it was only open for A MONTH! why now close SBB?

hottieho13 Profile Photo
hottieho13
#70SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 5:47pm

so most of the Minstrel parts were shown in the previews?

PiraguaGuy2
#71SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 5:49pm

Not to be a vulture, but maybe now Angels in America could move in here? It'd really be perfect.

Formerly SirNotAppearing - Joined 3/08

trentsketch Profile Photo
trentsketch
#72SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 5:55pm

I wanted this show to defy the odds and be a huge hit, though I had a very strong feeling it wouldn't last. It's just the subject matter and storytelling device were going to turn people off who wouldn't even bother to look past the title and minstrel conceit. It was a hard sell and it just didn't work out.

scott68 Profile Photo
scott68
#73SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 6:10pm

I really thought they'd tough it out a bit longer. On my must-list for the next week.

"Why, I make more money than... than... than Calvin Coolidge! PUT TOGETHER!"
~Lina Lamont

My name wasn't, isn't, and will never be Scott.

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#74SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 6:12pm

>> "How would you know if MF in the Hat is sensational(istic) crap or not?"

With a title like that, what else could it be? I"m sorry, but when you're using that kind of outrageousness in JUST THE TITLE OF THE SHOW, it doesnt bode well for anything else attached to it.

http://docandraider.com

Videos