News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?- Page 5

SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#100SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 11:58pm

To ACL 2006

I believe Hallelujah Baby had already closed when it won Best Tony Musical

Poster Emeritus

TonyVincent Profile Photo
TonyVincent
#101SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 12/1/10 at 12:02am

What a shame. Will try to see it in the next few weeks. From the chatter on here I thought it'd be a contender for a number of awards, but this unfortunately will be forgotten about, except for perhaps lesser-publicized awards like orchestrations, score, and book, come Tony time.

After Eight
#102SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 12/1/10 at 12:25am

To Bwayfan:

I wouldn't call 45th St. a particularly inconvenient location, even if it is on the east side of Broadway. And Patrick Stewart just flopped in a play on the "covenient" west side of Broadway, in a play that got very good reviews, and that had another popular performer in it.

And the Lyceum had not one but two hit revivals of "Mornings at Seven," a small play in which neither production had huge box-office draws.

It's really not the theatre, it's what's in it.

BroadwayBound115 Profile Photo
BroadwayBound115
#103SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 12/1/10 at 1:15am

So is the reason for this closing because of the poor grosses/attendance?? I feel like this show could have last well until Tony time. This just baffles me why this is closing. I cannot get over how much I loved this show.

americanboy99 Profile Photo
americanboy99
#104SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 12/1/10 at 1:51am

The Best Musical talks are a little premature, considering very few of us have seen CATCH ME IF YOU CAN and BOOK OF MORMON, just to name a few. From what I've seen of the new musicals this season thus far (and I've seen them all), SCOTTSBORO hands down has a spot for a nomination. But I'd much prefer BLOODY BLOODY on that list of four if it comes down to a fight for the last spot as in previous years (MARY POPPINS, LOVEMUSIK, LEGALLY BLONDE anyone?).

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#105SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 12/1/10 at 7:29am

If you're marketing something to a specific group, it's a good idea to bear income levels in mind. Face it: at 100+ bucks a pop, I really dont think your average black family will run to see this. Frankly, I dont think your average family period would run to see this, and I say that as one who is indeed planning on seeing it when he gets to NYC next week... but only if it's at TKTS. I just cant afford these outrageous ticket prices -- and that's what, IMHO, is killing Bway. Family shows like WICKED and LION KING -- there's pressure there from the little ones to see it, so folks scrimp and save to make it happen. But in a recession like this, who aside from travellers with expense accounts can honestly afford this stuff?

I look at the lists of shows that some of you have seen and stand amazed. Either you're very good an angling free tickets or you work the student rush or you have fabulous jobs with truly astounding salaries. I cant work any of those angles, so I give myself one really sensational ticket (even at half price, it's sensational), then do standing room at the Met or look off-off-Broadway. This trip, that one sensational ticket will be SCOTTSBORO, and to be honest it'll probably be the last Bway show I'll ever see in NY. I just cant afford it.

http://docandraider.com

orlandog Profile Photo
orlandog
#106SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 12/1/10 at 11:54am

This is very interesting read from the NY Post. I had no idea that the Rev Calvin Butts (who has a TON of clout in the black community) got on board with the protesters. I'm sure that once the producers heard this information, The Scottsboro Boys were, yet again, shafted.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/theater/say_farewell_to_the_scottsboro_boys_4hjrIgxTYOK6xsGrzI4WKL

sanda Profile Photo
sanda
#107SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 12/1/10 at 1:54pm

As a person who visited this site once a couple days, I can say I knew nothing about the show until recently. It seems it wasn't discussed much like "Next to Normal". I thought it was something like "altar boys". I am a big fan of K&E but I had no idea that this is their latest work. It's a shame that it will close so soon and I will miss it. If I read something about it earlier, I will definitely try to see it.

Unlike "Next to Normal", I feel this show has too little a buzz to get picked up by its targeting audiences.

julesboogie Profile Photo
julesboogie
#108SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 12/1/10 at 5:14pm

Cant hurt to give this a click i guess. Keep hope alive?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Keep-Broadways-The-Scottsboro-Boys-Open/179221722088711

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#109SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 12/1/10 at 6:30pm

A disturbing trend is occuring. A few on this board are complaining about high ticket prices. Doesn't anyone know I am the only one who complains about them?

Maybe this might be a good reason why shows are closing left and right. The increases have been dramatic . In years past, it went up by $ 5 or $10 & held for a while. Now it looks like they going up $ 10 bucks or more every season. $ 120 for a straight play Elling? In what universe.

We always hear about developing new audiences. The powers that be better worry about holding on to those who go now. Everything has its price limits. Many now do not go to see sports as those prices are equally ridiculous . Add to that the concessions and parking.

You gotta feel for Jeter . His skills are dimished & yet he feels he can not make it on $15 million a year. I do not think many on this board would have much of a problem making due on 1/3 of that figure a year.

Poster Emeritus
Updated On: 12/1/10 at 06:30 PM

hottieho13 Profile Photo
hottieho13
#110SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 12/1/10 at 8:48pm

maybe spider-man will get nominations for set design and costume but as far as Best Musical or Best Score.....no no no no no.

hottieho13 Profile Photo
hottieho13
#111SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 12/1/10 at 9:20pm

Don't get me wrong. i do love musicals that make you think and drama that "holds the mirror up to nature"and theatre that is supposed to teach.actually i really love Cabaret,Venus(by Suzan Lori Parks)The Color Purple (WITHOUT Fantasia. really bad stars drive me crazy actually!)Memphis and Caroline or Change but I just think the reason why a lot of Black people are reluctant to see this is because it's kinda a part of history you want to forget and move on from.you don't want to relive something like that or to even see it or give it a chance.My mom saw the previews of it and was very open to seeing this(which says a lot by her not being a huge theatre fan like me and this type of subject matter is somewhat disturbing for her.)but since our trip is in April we won't even have the option to see it unless they record the last performance on DVD or someone bootlegs it on youtube.

perfectlymarvelous Profile Photo
perfectlymarvelous
#112SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 12/1/10 at 9:37pm

I just think the reason why a lot of Black people are reluctant to see this is because it's kinda a part of history you want to forget and move on from.you don't want to relive something like that or to even see it or give it a chance

And that's exactly why this show is so important. Is it uncomfortable at times? Yes. Is it also a beautiful, moving, and eye-opening piece of theatre? Absolutely.

marcblack
#113SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 12/1/10 at 10:08pm

It's extremely difficult to blame rising ticket prices on any one party. Producers would love to attract new audiences to Broadway, but you also need to be realistic. If it was conceivable, I'm sure produces would love to charge $20 for a ticket (I know I'd certainly like that). But rising prices goes far beyond Broadway; you need to explore the overall economy. There's inflation, and that's a fact of life (whether it's unfortunate or not). It's equally as expensive for sports fans or concert goers to attend events as well. But it's not because the producers of promoters are greedy. There are rising expenses which need to be recouped. Every producer has investors, and they have a duty to make them money. Look at how many shows are closing this year... If you lowered ticket prices, they'd all need to go off weeks, if not months earlier. This is because productions would be even further from meeting their weekly nut, therefore dipping further into their reserves, and that contingency money will run out faster. The reason why you cannot blame any one individual is because there's a chain (the same with any other industry) - Broadway shows have multiple suppliers. Lets cite theater owners as an example. Well if theater owners lowered their prices, that would make the budget of a Broadway show go down, which means the producers could charge less for tickets. But it's not as simple as that, because theater owners have their own suppliers who charge increasing prices (as they have increasing costs too). In theory, yes we would all love cheaper ticket prices. But realistically speaking, there's no viable solution (as of yet). It's one thing to complain - but another to help our community, and contribute sensible alternatives.
Updated On: 12/7/10 at 10:08 PM

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#114SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 12/1/10 at 10:22pm

The bottom line is they are simply pricing themselves out. If shows keep closing, investors will not invest. Right now, if you want a tax write off invest in a broadway show.

Operating costs need to be addressed. Contracts may need to be renegotiated. It is happening everywhere and in everyones best interests. If tourists pay thru the nose for hotel rooms, they are not getting killed again with rising ticket prices.

Take concessions in a theater. $ 4 for a bottle of water bought in bulk for $ .25 cents is a bit greedy wouldn't you say? The Mets reduced ticket prices because people were staying away in droves. True the Mets have a rotten team but families on a budget can no longer afford it. Is it really necessary for a player to make $ 25 million a year and get a suite to himself on the road?

It is supply & demand. If people have to make a choice between necessities & broadway, guess which wins out. Theater is a luxury and not a necessity. They get away with it, in part, when some people feel the need to see a show 20 or 30 times. If people are this crazy to do this, well than everyone will pay whatever they want to charge. To say producers & promoters are not greedy leaves me staring at the ceiling. Maybe they should be put up for sainthood.Greed is in every human being and has been with us since time began.

It is an interesting discussion.

Poster Emeritus

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#115SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 12/1/10 at 10:35pm

And let's not forget the unions as well. To tell a producer he *must* have a certain number of musicians even if it's a straight play playing in a "musical house" just sorta bites. Seems ot me that everyone on all sides needs to learn a bit more flexibility.

http://docandraider.com

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#116SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 12/1/10 at 10:39pm

Greed? When most shows are financial flops, the first thing producers want to do is simply break even. And since they take the risk, they SHOULD be able to make money.

Going to a Mets game OR the theater is not a god given right. So WHAT if they are luxuries? If I can't afford to go, I don't. I can't afford a Mercededs -- so you know what? I don't own one. I'm not offended that Mercedes Benz charges outrageous prices. If you can't or don't WANT to pay the prices...don't go. Or save up your money and savor what you can go to.

Yes, it's expensive, but it's been a looooong time since it wasn't. Do I LIKE paying full price? No, and I seldom do. But my love of theater is worth it to me. As I've said before: I don't take vacations, I go to see b'way shows.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#117SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 12/1/10 at 10:41pm

Exactly

Just looked on the news Unions are being asked for modest givebacks to save fellow members jobs. They refuse and people get laid off and these are essential services. My guess is it has to get much worse attendence wise before they do something.

Poster Emeritus

dramamama611
#118SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 12/1/10 at 10:44pm

oops....changed my mind.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.
Updated On: 12/1/10 at 10:44 PM

marcblack
#119SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 12/1/10 at 10:51pm

You cannot compare Broadway to sports, because they are two entirely different animals. Yes Baseball players make exorbitant salaries, but Broadway actors do not. Even stars like Daniel Radcliffe receive SIGNIFICANTLY less than they would in other entertainment mediums. I do agree that concessions can be cheaper. But that's not the choice of a theater producer, and has little relation to ticket prices. If anything, ticket prices will become cheaper because of more expensive concessions, as producers get a % of that profit. However the majority goes to an independent company, which has a contract with the theater owner to service that venue, regardless of production. Yes Broadway is outpricing themselves to a degree, but the alternative is no Broadway at all. Riskier shows like The Scottsboro Boys, with dwindling attendance numbers, do not have the luxury of offering cheaper tickets. A production like Wicked does have the ability to offer tickets at a lower price point, but it's bad business. As you mentioned, it's all about supply and demand. Wicked can supply tickets at very high prices and have sold out performances. Since producers have a duty to their investors, they would be doing a disservice by lowering prices. Like any other industry, Broadway is dominated by numbers. There may be some greedy producers, but those who do risky shows like The Scottsboro Boys or Bloody Bloody Andrew Jackson, aren't in the game for the sole reason of profit. Even David Stone who produced Wicked, did Next to Normal. That show was far from a safe bet, and David provided much of the financing himself. David loves Broadway, and he was in a position to offer something truely original and unique (because if the show failed, he still has plenty of money from his other endeavors). Unions provide many benefits for actors, but they also make things a lot more difficult for producers. Union rules cause expenses to skyrocket. It's the same reason why most manufacturing is done in third world countries. Like any other industry, I'm sure there's a bunch of greedy people on Broadway, but most aren't. Producers are the last to see any money. Writers get advances and royalties, actors and crew get salaries an theater owners receive rent. Not only did The Scottsboro Boys not make the Weisslers any money, but it cost them significantly. Besides a weekly producer's fee to pay for overhead, they don't see any money until the show fully recoups. And because the Weisslers took a risk, they may have a harder time getting funding for their next production (they'll likely be ok, since Chicago was a huge success). The point is, if you're a greedy person, Broadway is far from the first stop on your list. Updated On: 12/1/10 at 10:51 PM

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#120SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 12/3/10 at 11:59pm

I saw this tonight. Wonderful show, I absolutely loved it. It's a shame more people aren't going to get the chance to see it.

Jim3 Profile Photo
Jim3
#121SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 12/4/10 at 10:48am

I have a feeling that we'll be hearing more about The Scottsboro Boys this spring when the Pulitzer Prizes are awarded.

Ed_Mottershead
#122SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 12/4/10 at 11:16am

I think what bothers me the most during all the hoo-haa that's going on about Spidermwan, a show like Scottsboro Boys is basically being dismissed. I haven't seen Spiderman yet (going on the 25th), but there seems to be the feeling that the only thing worthy about it is the special effects -- and even that's proving chancy. On the other had, a show that has a terrific score, has something to say about the human condition, and a fine production rendered with minimal sets, is just going by the wayside. Sad, sad, sad, sad.

BroadwayEd

dramamama611
#123SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 12/4/10 at 11:22am

I'll be there on the 25th as well!

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#124SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 12/4/10 at 11:51am

I'm going this afternoon for a final visit (I can't make it next weekend due to a prior commitment) and I'm sorry-grateful. Sorry that the show is closing, very sorry-- but grateful that it happened and that I saw it as much as I could. Truly one of the most thrilling shows I've seen. Kudos to all involved!

Videos