News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?

SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?

Yankeefan007
#1SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 11:55am

So says Sparky and the gang on All That Chat, who pointed to Telecharge not selling tickets past Dec. 12.

Shame, shame, shame, if true.

Mark_E Profile Photo
Mark_E
#2SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 12:00pm

Very upsetting, was near the top of my list for next year.

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#2SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 12:01pm

That would be... uhm... silly, considering the very lucrative Christmas season is upon us.

http://docandraider.com

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#3SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 12:09pm

It would be silly to close it before the Christmas season, but last week's Thanksgiving grosses show that, as one might expect, it isn't the type of show that really benefits from more tourists in the area.

I'll be very upset if I don't get to see it, though.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#4SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 12:11pm

Not suprising that it would be closing (so sadly) but suprising that they wouldn't be holding on for a January closing.

We'd be hearing soon if its true. I hope its not as I really want to see this a second time at the holidays.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

AEA AGMA SM
#5SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 12:14pm

I would be willing to guess that any producer who saw a bump down in their grosses during Thanksgiving week (which is pretty much the kick off for the "lucrative" holiday season) is probably biting their nails and worrying about some very tough decisions.

Hopefully they can pick up a little with the exposure Whoopi keeps giving them on The View. She gave yesterday's audience tickets to the show.

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#7SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 12:25pm

That's a shame.

So much for thoughtful musical theatre, I guess.

Bring on the spider goddesses!

http://docandraider.com

jadziadax Profile Photo
jadziadax
#8SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 12:26pm

How sad. SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12? I saw it a couple weeks ago and thought it was fantastic.

Scarywarhol Profile Photo
Scarywarhol
#9SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 12:26pm

I'm heartbroken--I absolutely love the music.

dramamama611
#10SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 12:32pm

Damn.

I was truly rooting for this one. Loved it more than words can express.

Thank you, cast and crew, Kander and Ebb, and to all that believed in it this far!

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

WiCkEDrOcKS Profile Photo
WiCkEDrOcKS
#11SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 12:32pm

What a real, real shame. See this show if you haven't already! Or you'll seriously regret missing it.

kidmanboy Profile Photo
kidmanboy
#12SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 12:37pm

Perhaps journos and bloggers should spend less time worrying about whether or not spider-man flew and more time championing one of the few original, intelligent musicals to make it to broadway in the past few seasons.

frontrowcentre2 Profile Photo
frontrowcentre2
#13SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 12:42pm

I agree, and must admit I was shocked when I opened BWW and say the headline. When I was in NY 2 weeks ago I saw many shows, but the audience response to SCOTTSBORO BOYS was the most spontaneously enthusiastic. Yet the theatre was never sold out and many tickets were offered at huge discounts.

I doubt running through te holidays would help: the dark subject, matter, no matter how expertly it is handled, simply would not appeal to the tourists and those seeking light holiday entertainment.

I believe this show will have a very healthy life after Broadway where limited runs in regional theatres will attract crowds.

Meanwhile, if you have a chance the next few weeks to see this amazing show, don't pass it up.

Maybe the Lyceum just isn't a viable theatre any more?

Cast albums are NOT "soundtracks."
Live theatre does not use a "soundtrack." If it did, it wouldn't be live theatre!

I host a weekly one-hour radio program featuring cast album selections as well as songs by cabaret, jazz and theatre artists. The program, FRONT ROW CENTRE is heard Sundays 9 to 10 am and also Saturdays from 8 to 9 am (eastern times) on www.proudfm.com

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#14SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 12:44pm

Damn. That was gonna be my mother's Christmas present. Ah, well.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

Cape Twirl of Doom Profile Photo
Cape Twirl of Doom
#15SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 12:54pm

Crap I wanted to see this one. Hopefully I can get there this weekend.

"It's Phantom meets Hamlet... Phamlet!"

DottieD'Luscia Profile Photo
DottieD'Luscia
#16SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 12:58pm

Wow, I'm shocked. I was planning on seeing this when I was up there for the holidays in December. Looks like I'll have to make a day trip next weekend.

Hey Dottie! Did your colleagues enjoy the cake even though your cat decided to sit on it? ~GuyfromGermany

THDavis Profile Photo
THDavis
#17SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 12:58pm

It was a beautiful show, but I figured it wouldn't make it on Broadway when I saw it in Minneapolis. Broadway's too commercial for original, deep theatre. I'm surprised Next to Normal lasted as long as it did.

dancingthrulife04 Profile Photo
dancingthrulife04
#18SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 1:04pm

I'm planning on seeing this tomorrow. Has anyone done student rush recently?

http://www.beintheheights.com/katnicole1 (Please click and help me win!) I chose, and my world was shaken- So what?
The choice may have been mistaken, The choosing was not...
"Every day has the potential to be the greatest day of your life." - Lin-Manuel Miranda
"And when Idina Menzel is singing, I'm always slightly worried that her teeth are going to jump out of her mouth and chase me." - Schmerg_the_Impaler

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#19SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 1:18pm

I am also heartbroken. Just bought tickets to closing, then walked around crying in the rain. It's weird that it would affect me so deeply, but this one hit me hard.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#20SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 1:21pm

This is truly a shame. This was probably the best thing I have seen on Broadway in many a season. Serious musical theatre doesn't sell it seems. Has to have brand name recognition.
Too bad, too bad!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

Phantom of London Profile Photo
Phantom of London
#21SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 1:22pm

Sounds like no one has been in a rush for this one.

jv92 Profile Photo
jv92
#22SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 1:37pm

Well, some of this must be blamed on the moronic protestors that didn't even see the show, some of this must be blamed on the NY Times and some of this must be blamed on the state of Broadway. It's a crying shame.

dramamama611
#23SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 1:45pm

Did they show up more than the one time? It's not like sales dropped off AFTER this happened.

What is there to blame the NYT for? If they can't find an audience, they can't find an audience. Why does anyone need to 'be blamed'?

It happens: great shows fail. Is it a shame? Sure, but it's part of the business.

CockeyedOptimist2 Profile Photo
CockeyedOptimist2
#24SCOTTSBORO BOYS closing December 12?
Posted: 11/30/10 at 1:49pm

The protesters were there two Sundays ago when I saw it with my parents.

I'm just so sad that more people won't get to see this show.
Updated On: 11/30/10 at 01:49 PM

Videos