News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs. at 10 pm- Page 7

stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs. at 10 pm

isntitromantic Profile Photo
isntitromantic
#150stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 12:19pm

But she didn't say she was sorry. She doesn't really get it. That's why a demo is necessary.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#151stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 12:19pm

She's sorry she was called out for it (and probably sorry to find out that now it's being talked about in places other than BWW). I find it fascinating she can't just offer a genuine apology for it.
Updated On: 6/8/10 at 12:19 PM

Aly31
#152stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 12:29pm

What the hell do you want her to do?? Get out infront of you guys and pleading for forgiveness?? Alice is a sweet and really nice person she would never mean it to harm anyone. People have been asking her about it on FB and she said she was sorry and for people to just let it go and forget about it. People make mistakes and I'm sure you all have called someone or said something that was really offensive to someone else. And did people come after you with signs? Probably not. Quit being stupid! How the hell is this stupid protest thing going to help? You're all the ones going to look like a bunch of idiots, not her.

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#153stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 12:31pm

I hear ya, Namo. Personally...I like Silverman, but I certainly understand others who have a problem with her. And that bigger, Italian woman who wears 50's dresses and talks about sex with n*s and fags with AIDS. I've blocked her out.

But...in the end...I forgive comics A LOT because I think most are aiming for social commentary, even if they miss the mark.

This? Just bizarre. Like the lemon descending the flies at the end of IN MY LIFE. But without the giddy laughter.

FindingNamo
#154stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 12:32pm

Lisa Lampanelli. I LOATHE HER.

Aly, "you guys"?

The problem is she used the word to demean somebody who was critical of her. Sometimes that's all it takes to reveal what's going on just beneath the surface of "sweet and really nice" people. And she knows that, which is why she thinks people should just forget it and move on.

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none
Updated On: 6/8/10 at 12:32 PM

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#155stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 12:36pm

Aly31, could you please cut and paste Ripley's apology? Not the one that said "YIKES, FORGIVE MY OFFENSE."

In the meanwhile, I'll answer your question. I want her to post on Facebook "I used a word in anger, and I shouldn't have. I'm sorry I did."

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#156stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 12:36pm

Well, I live in Chicago, so I won't be at the protest, so that night I won't like like any bigger of an idiot than usual.

People make mistakes and I'm sure you all have called someone or said something that was really offensive to someone else.

I love this argument. Especially every time it's ALREADY been made in this thread.

Maybe "you other guys" ought to read an entire thread before running off half-cocked.

Updated On: 6/8/10 at 12:36 PM

SonofRobbieJ
#157stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 12:38pm

THAT'S IT. Unlike Silverman, who I find subversive and dangerous, I find Lampinelli just awful. Cause there seems to be no smarts behind it.

I've said terrible things. I've even said them here. I've really ended up regretting downing other performers because it's a rough business and why am I adding to that? I didn't feel good about that, and so I've stopped posting about other performers' work (unless it's positive...I think I've done well with that). So I get her frustration. But using 'fag'? Come ON. It was purposeful, which makes it really distateful.

FindingNamo
#158stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 12:40pm

If I were going to be there I would just fold my arms and stare at her with a look of utter disappointment on my face. Most likely this would cause her to dissolve in a fit of tears and I'd fully expect her to yell some crazy JFK quote before running off. "WE WILL GO TO THE MOOOOOOOOOOON!'

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

SonofRobbieJ
#159stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 12:42pm

Ich bin ein Berliner!!!!!!!!

iluvtheatertrash
#160stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 12:43pm

Alice apologized:

Hey guys-
I just want to say how sorry I am for my recent post. It was careless and thoughtless and I assure you it is not a reflection of the way I really feel. Anyone who knows me knows that I’ve always supported the gay community and will continue to do so. I’m embarrassed and I apologize.

Happy now?

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

wishiwerehere2
#161stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 12:43pm

Alice Ripley Hey guys-
I just want to say how sorry I am for my recent post. It was careless and thoughtless and I assure you it is not a reflection of the way I really feel. Anyone who knows me knows that I’ve always supported the gay community and will continue to do so. I’m embarrassed and I apologize.

wonderwaiter Profile Photo
wonderwaiter
#162stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 12:45pm

"Happy now?"

As a matter of fact, I am.

And no one grew into anything new, we just became the worst of what we were."

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#163stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 12:45pm

In closing: If you ever get to be on Broadway--and I hope most of you are one day--would you ever come and visit this f**king website to see what people are saying about you?

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#164stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 12:46pm

I guess she finally answered her publicists phone calls. Good for her. Yes, I am happy and I forgive the offense, an apology was all anyone ever wanted to begin with. I will now go back to lipsynching SIDE SHOW in my mirror with my hairbrush. Updated On: 6/8/10 at 12:46 PM

SonofRobbieJ
#165stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 12:47pm

"Happy now?"

Yes. Thank you. Apology accepted.

"In closing: If you ever get to be on Broadway--and I hope most of you are one day--would you ever come and visit this f**king website to see what people are saying about you?"

Not a f*cking chance in hell.

iluvtheatertrash
#166stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 12:48pm

I'd try my best to avoid threads that involved me, Borstal. Only for protection of my sanity.

Wonderwaiter -- this is a woman who has performed in countless benefits for the gay population. This is a woman who has an enormous fan base of gays who she kisses, hugs, "adopts" and pays a great deal of attention to all day long. This is one of the kindest, sweetest women on Broadway today.

Anyone who has spent even 30 seconds talking to her at the Booth Stage Door knows how kind she is. She's a human being who used a phrase. I'm sure you've said the wrong thing before.

Y'all need to GET OVER IT.

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#167stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm

People have been asking her about it on FB and she said she was sorry and for people to just let it go and forget about it.

Sorry for what? You mean that "YIKES! Forgive Me." or "GEEZ, I SAID I WAS SORRY". She doesn't even address the issue in her tween fauxpologies.

What the hell do you want her to do??

Oh, I don't know...act like a mature adult? Some acknowledgment, perhaps? Or in musical theatre terms for those who may be blinded by the subjectivity of Broadway, something that sounds a little more genuine than the girls apologizing to Carrie when forced to do so by Miss Gardner. A little Sue Snell could do Ripley a lot of good.

And I don't want to hear any of that "But the people here are being immature, too!" because in the case of this particular issue, that just isn't true. While I think the demo may be a bit over-the-top, it is actually a mature response to the situation. An immature response is, "GOD Y'ALL, SORRY OR WHATEVER" posted only to those who already support her. Why should we have to friend her on Facebook to be able to read her updates which may or may not include a fleeting insincere apology, anyway? It's not like she has to be a member here to read comments about her performance.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

ErikJ972 Profile Photo
ErikJ972
#168stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm

Eh...she should have just done that to begin with. Her "GEEZ I SAID I WAS SORRY" antics turned me off. Was considering seeing this before she left but now I won't bother. At least that two less fags she has to worry about in the audience.

Aly31
#169stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 12:49pm

So were any of you doing all of this just so she would give an apology or just to get rid of your anger about what she said?

Just wondering

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#170stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 12:50pm

Read the thread Aly. It's all there. No need to wonder.

....but the world goes 'round

SonofRobbieJ
#171stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 12:51pm

She f*cked up. And she didn't woman-up for a while and do the right thing. Which seemed just BIZARRE.

She has now. Apology accepted.

We all f*ck up. And when that happens, we all need to make amends.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#172stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 12:52pm

I think she should cut off her own pinky Yakuza-style. Then the royal we will be sated.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#173stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm

Was the "happy now" part of her apology or was it an editorial comment? People need to learn how to quote things properly.

Like I said, it really seems to be her apologists that are getting the most bent of shape.

newintown Profile Photo
newintown
#174stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm

I guess when you're playing to 500 people a night, you have to pay attention to everyone who may be talking about you... And then say modestly inflammatory things in order to get a tiny bit of press. Otherwise, you become Donna Kane.

Videos