News on your favorite shows, specials & more!
pixeltracker

stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs. at 10 pm- Page 8

stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs. at 10 pm

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#175stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 12:53pm

I think it was editorial phyl.

And yea, her apologists are wacky.

....but the world goes 'round

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#176stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 12:53pm

I've had tooth extractions that went more smoothly than Ripley issuing a real apology.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Reginald Tresilian Profile Photo
Reginald Tresilian
#177stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 12:55pm

Well done, Alice! Thank you.

(I'm assuming the "happy now?" bit was an asinine bit of editorialzing on someone else's party.)

JustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
#178stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 12:56pm

What the hell do you want her to do??

Make a sincere apology.

Get out infront of you guys and pleading for forgiveness??

No...that won't be necessary, a simple mea culpa on FACEBOOK will suffice.

Alice is a sweet and really nice person she would never mean it to harm anyone.

Says you. She certainly didn't say it to make the person she was talking about feel all warm and fuzzy.

People have been asking her about it on FB and she said she was sorry and for people to just let it go and forget about it.

Can you copy and paste exactly what she said? So far I haven't seen anything she's said that even remotely comes close to "I'm sorry."

People make mistakes and I'm sure you all have called someone or said something that was really offensive to someone else. And did people come after you with signs?

And chances are when we said or did something offensive, and were called on it, we apologized. Thus...no need for anyone to come after us with signs.

Quit being stupid! How the hell is this stupid protest thing going to help? You're all the ones going to look like a bunch of idiots, not her.

There may or may not be a protest. It may or may not help. But being fearful of looking like an idiot for protesting someone using a homophobic slur, is absolutely no reason not to protest.

"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett

Aly31
#179stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 12:57pm

Well at least she said she is sorry. Atleast she is one of those types of actors that actually does care about what other people think and how she treats them.

isntitromantic Profile Photo
isntitromantic
#180stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm

Smacks of producer/publicist twisting her arm. Note: the apology used correct syntax and is upper/lower case. I'm sure she's sorry, but so were Aaron McKinney and Russell Henderson after they were caught. Faggot was the last word Matthew heard. Doesn't excuse it, Alice. Ever.

iluvtheatertrash
#181stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm

I was posting in a rush and didn't use quotation marks. Just separated by the line break. Sorry!

But yes, the snarky 'Happy now?' was me. :)

"I know now that theatre saved my life." - Susan Stroman

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#182stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm

So were any of you doing all of this just so she would give an apology or just to get rid of your anger about what she said?

By "doing all of this", you mean discussing the topic? Because that is what we are actually doing at this point. I'm discussing it for both reasons, really. I'm angry and I would love for her to offer a sincere apology, but it appears she is incapable and unwilling to do so, which only perpetuates the angry and disappointment, further fueling the discussion.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

Reginald Tresilian
#183stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 12:59pm

I personally take her recent apology as sincere.

Has everyone posting here caught up to it? I know the posts have been flying fast and furious in the last half hour.

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#184stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 12:59pm

At least she is one of those types of actors that actually does care about what other people think

About her performances, yes she seems to care what people think. I'm not so sure she cares that people think about what she says. In fact, it would seem quite the opposite.

Updated On: 6/8/10 at 12:59 PM

sisters of avalon
#185stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 1:00pm

This is the apology, directly copied from facebook..

"Hey guys-
I just want to say how sorry I am for my recent post. It was careless and thoughtless and I assure you it is not a reflection of the way I really feel. Anyone who knows me knows that I’ve always supported the gay community and will continue to do so. I’m embarrassed and I apologize."

"They can get you in East Hampton for wearing red shoes on a Thursday, and all that sort of thing. I don't know whether you know that, I mean..do you know that? They can get you for almost anything--it's a mean, nasty Republican town!"

iluvtheatertrash
#186stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 1:01pm

Romantic, I am gay. I've directed The Laramie Project twice. I've met Judy Shepard several times, and read her book quite a few times, as well. I've worked for BC/EFA and GMHC. I have protested, marched, etc.

To compare Alice Ripley to McKinney and Henderson is, in my opinion, a helluva lot lower than Alice's assumption that the comment came from a bitter theater queen (who she called a fag). You all say she needs a grip on reality, but you may want to look in the mirror.

And guess what. I'm a fag. And I couldn't give a damn about what she said.

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#187stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm

Equating Alice's dumb and thoughtless comments with Matthew Shepard's killers. Ooookay, then.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#188stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm

It took me a minute to figure who those people were. I would have said Matthew Sheperd's last name.

iluvtheatertrash
#189stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 1:02pm

Thank you, borstalboy. Glad you agree.

Reginald Tresilian
#190stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 1:02pm

That's fine, iluvtheatertrash. Others did care. And Ripley, to her credit, seems to have finally gotten that and done the right thing.

EDIT: I was responding to your not being bothered by Ripley's comment. I, of course, agree about the specious comparison. Updated On: 6/8/10 at 01:02 PM

iluvtheatertrash
#191stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 1:04pm

I'm not saying that you can't think she made a tiny error in judgment... that maybe she should've read it over before clicking 'post'. But to take the one tiny remark and crucify her as a homophobe is a bit much.

GlindatheGood22  Profile Photo
GlindatheGood22
#192stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 1:04pm

An apology has been made, whether or not it came from a publicist or from Alice directly. For better or worse, I don't think anybody's going to get anything else out of this woman.

I will say that it's a bit radical to compare her to Matthew Sheperd's killers, though. Alice made an angry, off-the-cuff, albeit completely inappropriate remark. The slaying was an act of pre-meditated hatred.

I know you. I know you. I know you.

SNAFU Profile Photo
SNAFU
#193stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 1:05pm

Alice,apology accepted and thank-you for finally admitting your mistake. I don't care is it was publicist or producer induced, it was what was called for and it was precise and clear.
Please remember, you as a "Star", have a bit of a responsibility to set an example for your fan girls and boys. Words can hurt people and even if you didn't intend any harm, once the words are out there they can cause hurt.
Continued success!

Those Blocked: SueStorm. N2N Nate. Good riddence to stupid! Rad-Z, shill begone!

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#194stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 1:05pm

For a second, I thought they were the Columbine duo. I was a titch confused.

And, theatretrash, I luv ya baby, but don't go throwin around your gay activist credentials with some people in this crowd. You'll lose! (I say that with love)

tazber Profile Photo
tazber
#195stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 1:06pm

I accept the apology as well. Of course I do.

What's interesting is that now that it's over this thread is suddenly turning crazy.

Defensive fans, Mathew Sheppard analogies, increased confrontation....

I mean really, this should be put to bed now.

....but the world goes 'round

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#196stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 1:07pm

Who gives a ****ing ****. You queens have nothing better to go on about?

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Reginald Tresilian
#197stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm

Hear, hear, Taz!

SonofRobbieJ Profile Photo
SonofRobbieJ
#198stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm

Just wait for my Youtube video, THE PASSION OF THE RIPLEY.

It will be epic.

EPIC.

JustAGuy Profile Photo
JustAGuy
#199stage door demo for Ripley's FAG slur Thurs at 10 pm
Posted: 6/8/10 at 1:08pm

Thanks for the apology, Alice.

"Just a Guy. Your feelings are touching. I am gladdened by the thought that you will one day wind up 6 feet under as we all do." - MrRoxy ------ "I do not suggest you walk out the door onto a New York street with your vulnerable child part exposed and not protected..." - Jason Bennett

Videos