Carol

FindingNamo
#25Carol
Posted: 1/16/16 at 10:33pm

Saw it tonight.  I loved it but did want to turn up the brightness but this was in a theater and they don't let you do that (yet).

Twitter @NamoInExile Instagram none

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#26Carol
Posted: 1/16/16 at 10:59pm

It really was heartbreaking in places, add me to the list that loved it.

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

YouWantitWhen???? Profile Photo
YouWantitWhen????
#27Carol
Posted: 1/16/16 at 11:48pm

I saw it last month and also loved it. 

hork Profile Photo
hork
#28Carol
Posted: 1/17/16 at 1:57am

ArtMan said: "Saw this yesterday.  I was more impressed with the design and costumes.  It was nearly flawless.  The story didn't do anything for me.  Although well acted, I didn't buy into this great love and the life choices that were made as a result.  The movie was slow, but felt rushed at the same time.  If that makes sense?

It does make sense, and I agree. I didn't really buy their relationship, either. I really wanted Alison Bechdel to step in and start mocking it ("It's like a 1950s lesbian pulp novel!"Carol.

Updated On: 1/17/16 at 01:57 AM

FindingNamo
#29Carol
Posted: 1/17/16 at 10:22am

She would never, ever make fun of this or the novel.

Roscoe
#30Carol
Posted: 1/20/16 at 10:27am

I liked a lot about the film, but unfortunately there was a lot of audience stupidity going on at the screening I attended -- a stupid old woman equipped with a plastic bag full of individually plastic-wrapped plastic bags made more noise than you can possibly imagine, and then there was the stupid younger woman who kept making snotty little comments -- "Sluts!" when Carol and Therese go on the road trip, and then "Ooooooh BAD GIRLS!!" during the love scene.  Kind of made it hard to concentrate.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

LarryD2
#31Carol
Posted: 1/20/16 at 10:53am

Behavior like that is why I rarely go to the movies anymore. They make poor theater etiquette seem quaint.

FindingNamo
#32Carol
Posted: 1/20/16 at 11:09am

I heard snickers and chuckles at the crowded theater I saw it in, generally during anything sexy, and they were coming from women in the audience.

PalJoey Profile Photo
PalJoey
#33Carol
Posted: 1/20/16 at 11:39am

Just saw it (on a kind of double bill with Star Wars) and loved every minute of it.

Didn't find it cold or flat at all.

At ALL.

FindingNamo
#34Carol
Posted: 1/20/16 at 4:45pm

Cate has enormous facial features compared to every other man and woman in this film.  Throughout the entire thing she made me think of Ryan Landry.  And occasionally Faye Dunaway as Joan Crawford.  And I say this with respect for all four of them.

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#35Carol
Posted: 1/22/16 at 3:24pm

(The colours are muted on purpose, I get that, but I agree with Namo that I wanted to turn up the saturation).

I saw this for a second time with my mom, after re-reading the novel.  I think Phyllis Nagy well deserves her nomination--the changes made for the film (the gloves, Therese being a photographer, etc) all make so much more sense.  It's a brilliant, gorgeous and moving film (my mom loved it, for the record--there were not many people in the theatre otherwise except a few older women in couples and a young couple all, I will be presumptuous and say, lesbians). 

What really annoys me about all of the talk about the lack of director and movie Oscar noms is the :"Well it's beautifully shot, but would anyone care if they were a straight couple" take.  Ummm???  (and then there's Tarantino with his comment about Haynes being very good at dressing up dolls--does that mean all that Tarantino does is play with GI Joes?)

HighFlyingAdored97 Profile Photo
HighFlyingAdored97
#36Carol
Posted: 1/22/16 at 5:37pm

Just saw it Wednesday and loved it. I definitely shed some tears.

"The city seen from the Queensboro Bridge is always the city seen for the first time, in its first wild promise of all the mystery and the beauty in the world." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Borstalboy Profile Photo
Borstalboy
#37Carol
Posted: 1/23/16 at 9:51pm

I haven't seen it yet, but I did like John Waters' comment on it:  "Maybe the only way to be transgressive these days is to be scrupulously tasteful."

On Marc Maron's podcast, Haynes stated that his next film will be a companion piece to HUGO.  He makes such fine adult films, I kind of hope it doesn't happen.

"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing.” ~ Muhammad Ali

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#38Carol
Posted: 1/24/16 at 2:25am

I found it incredibly moving - a film that doesn't try to look like an enormous blockbuster. While some may find the first half slow, I thought it was fantastic in developing the characters. They felt very human - which I often don't find when going to the movies. As for the "cold" comments, I can see how one might think that. Carol is not particularly likable, and Therese is a interior character that doesn't exude warmth. However, the film itself is a wonderful thing - made all the better by the restraint it shows. I have had great luck in movies this week - this and "The Danish Girl" were both superb.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#39Carol
Posted: 1/24/16 at 11:48pm

I really loved it. But it's a very restrained movie. Not crazy theaterics or dramatic moments. But it's beautiful, and I loved the performances.

Those that have read the book, and now I want to, what does the name "Price of Salt" mean? 

JerseyGirl2 Profile Photo
JerseyGirl2
#40Carol
Posted: 1/25/16 at 8:57am

I loved it. Completely. It's a film I will own as soon as I can. It's just beautiful. While others found it a bit melodramatic, I loved the final shot. The realization on Carol's face gave me chills. 

I can't believe I have never read the book. 

Pretty pretty please don't you ever ever feel like you're less than f**ckin' perfect!

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#41Carol
Posted: 1/25/16 at 10:30am

Now reading the book I can see more clearly what Blanchett was doing with the role.  But I still think the script let her down.  I should see the movie again and give it another chance.  But I find Carol to be a far more interesting, thoughtful, articulate, caring and intriguing character in the book; a woman less self-consumed and far worthier of Therese's devotion.   In the movie, it felt - to me, it goes without saying - start to finish like an ill-fated infatuation.

Updated On: 1/25/16 at 10:30 AM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#42Carol
Posted: 1/25/16 at 1:03pm

MILD SPOILER. One of my favorite aspects of the story is the approach to Carol's emotional resolution in the ending.  Rather than played as a woman desperate at any cost to make this relationship happen, Blanchett makes her persuasive case, accepts Therese's decision, painful as it is, and then gets on with both her evening and her life.  One of the adult and unsentimental aspects of that fadeout: Carol is enjoying herself, invested in her company for the evening, not forlorn in her dejection, curled up in a ball. When Therese spots her, Carol's never more sure of herself and her own presence.  She's never been more attractive in the story, and it's a testament to this woman's survival skills that she is so together on the cusp of their reunion.  What's more attractive than someone that confident?  If anything, it's the swooniest moment in the film, because Carol is at the top of her game.    

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#43Carol
Posted: 1/25/16 at 2:44pm

henrikegerman said: "Now reading the book I can see more clearly what Blanchett was doing with the role.  But I still think the script let her down.  I should see the movie again and give it another chance.  But I find Carol to be a far more interesting, thoughtful, articulate, caring and intriguing character in the book; a woman less self-consumed and far worthier of Therese's devotion.   In the movie, it felt - to me, it goes without saying - start to finish like an ill-fated infatuation.

"

Is that because she is less defined in the novel?  She is only seen through Therese's eyes, so it is easier to idolize her.  Maybe the film should have done that too, but I actually liked all if the changes made (ie the use of the gloves)

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#44Carol
Posted: 1/25/16 at 10:35pm

I don't think so at all, EricMontreal.   I find Carol much more defined in the novel.   We learn a great deal about her from both the exposition, Therese's impressions of her, but also from their dialogue.  Their many intriguing discussions about each other, love, being in love, youth, art, work, passions, and the people in their lives - Abby, Harge, and Richard. 

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#45Carol
Posted: 3/5/16 at 1:50am

Kate McKinnon is...

CAROL!

rosscoe(au) Profile Photo
rosscoe(au)
#46Carol
Posted: 3/5/16 at 6:14am

That had me laughing out loud

Well I didn't want to get into it, but he's a Satanist. Every full moon he sacrifices 4 puppies to the Dark Lord and smears their blood on his paino. This should help you understand the score for Wicked a little bit more. Tazber's: Reply to Is Stephen Schwartz a Practicing Christian

Videos