89th Academy Awards Thread- Page 2

89th Academy Awards Thread

AC126748 Profile Photo
AC126748
#2589th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 1/24/17 at 1:03pm

Portman was not nominated for Jackie.

Huh?

"You travel alone because other people are only there to remind you how much that hook hurts that we all bit down on. Wait for that one day we can bite free and get back out there in space where we belong, sail back over water, over skies, into space, the hook finally out of our mouths and we wander back out there in space spawning to other planets never to return hurrah to earth and we'll look back and can't even see these lives here anymore. Only the taste of blood to remind us we ever existed. The earth is small. We're gone. We're dead. We're safe." -John Guare, Landscape of the Body

Blue_Lotus Profile Photo
Blue_Lotus
#2689th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 1/24/17 at 1:12pm

Natalie Portman received a Best Actress nod for "Jackie". 

...i am an infinite soul in a human body who is in the process of never ending growth...

Petralicious Profile Photo
Petralicious
#2789th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 1/24/17 at 1:14pm

LATIMES has an interesting theory on Meryl Streeps nomination over Amy Adams and Annette Bening. Meryl you slydog!

Though Streep is an award season staple, many were actually surprised by her Oscar nomination. Her performance in “Florence” was not one of her better-reviewed turns, and pundits predicted her slot would instead go to Amy Adams ("Arrival" or Annette Bening ("20th Century Women&rdquo. But at the Golden Globes earlier this month -- where she was the recipient of a lifetime achievement award -- Streep delivered a stirring six-minute speech denouncing then President-elect Donald Trump. It was arguably the most rousing moment during the telecast, and may have swayed Oscar voters in her favor. (The Globes took place on Jan. 8; Oscar ballots were due Jan. 13.)

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-oscar-nominations-snubs-surprises-20170120-story.html

When They Go Low, I Go High
Updated On: 1/24/17 at 01:14 PM

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#2889th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 1/24/17 at 1:14pm

I honestly hated Jackie as a film, but was floored by Portman's performance. I think its reception with the Academy is spot-on. 

aaaaaa15
#2989th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 1/24/17 at 1:51pm

/ Updated On: 10/21/20 at 01:51 PM

Roscoe
#3089th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 1/24/17 at 2:17pm

LALALAND received the 14 least deserved Oscar nominations since last year's movie about the guy who crawled through snow.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/

hork Profile Photo
hork
#3189th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 1/24/17 at 3:35pm

Looks like I'll be spending the telecast futilely rooting for Hell or High Water, Ruth Negga, and Michael Shannon.

I was surprised by all the love for Lion, a movie that no one is talking about. Cinematography, really? Over Knight of Cups? And how is Dev Patel supporting, but Geoffrey Rush was a lead in Shine? Academy logic.

Updated On: 1/24/17 at 03:35 PM

javero Profile Photo
javero
#3289th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 1/24/17 at 5:07pm

"LALALAND received the 14 least deserved Oscar nominations since last year's movie about the guy who crawled through snow."

The cinematic masterpiece that you side-swiped was a throwback to Hollywood's golden era.  It was an unvarnished survival saga that provided insights into the abject harshness of life for trappers in an unorganized territory in the early 1800's.  I know of no trapper today but am acquainted with several people who are trying to get cast in some gaul-awful pseudo reality TV survivor show.  The movie wasn't everyone's cup of tea.  But, its fans, among whom I count myself, found it refreshing.  Carry on.

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.
Updated On: 1/24/17 at 05:07 PM

hork Profile Photo
hork
#3389th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 1/24/17 at 5:16pm

javero said: ""LALALAND received the 14 least deserved Oscar nominations since last year's movie about the guy who crawled through snow."

The cinematic masterpiece that you side-swiped was a throwback to Hollywood's golden era.  It was an unvarnished survival saga that provided insights into the abject harshness of life for trappers in an unorganized territory in the early 1800's.  I know of no trapper today but am acquainted with several people who are trying to get cast in some gaul-awful pseudo reality TV survivor show.  The movie wasn't everyone's cup of tea.  But, it's fans, among whom I count myself, found it refreshing.  Carry on.

I liked the movie and all, but ... what?

javero Profile Photo
javero
#3489th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 1/24/17 at 5:56pm

The Revenant was my kind of movie, Hork.  I'm drawn to movies that attempt to accurately depict the rough and tumble existence of non-elites prior to the advent of film cameras, even if they are slightly embellished accounts.  As a kid, my parents only took me to see westerns and war movies so the image of the heroic male lead on screen is difficult for me to escape.  However, I don't care for survivor-themed reality tv shows one bit. They seem rather kitschy like most televised pro wrestling.

#FactsMatter...your feelings not so much.

broadwayjim42
#3589th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 1/24/17 at 11:35pm

I'm not a huge fan of "La La Land" but I'm thrilled that "Audition" got a Best Song nomination. My favorite movie song in a long, long time.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#3689th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 1/25/17 at 12:53am

All the "Hidden Figures" love seems to come from the #OscarsSoWhite backlash. I don't think it was a good movie and the performances were fine, but not award worthy. 

As for La La Land, I finally saw it tonight, and while I loved Stone/Gosling's chemistry, I'm not sure I'd give her a "Best Actress" award for it. But, there is a undeniable charm she has. But same with Lawerence winning - I don't think that performance really said "Oscar" but she does have a certain charm. 

I'm still hoping for Viola! 

TheQuibbler Profile Photo
TheQuibbler
#3789th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 1/25/17 at 10:01am

"All the "Hidden Figures" love seems to come from the #OscarsSoWhite backlash. I don't think it was a good movie and the performances were fine, but not award worthy."

We should also consider that Hidden Figures has been doing wonders at the box office (considering the box office "poison" of three black, female leads), telling many a story they haven't (but should have) heard and really resonating with audiences. Given the amount of films the Academy can nominate, I'm happy to see a box-office crowd pleaser sneak into the mix.

hork Profile Photo
hork
#3889th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 1/25/17 at 11:38am

Hidden Figures's nomination wasn't surprising. It's this year's The Help, which also got a nomination. But it's also a better movie than The Help, imo.

Updated On: 1/25/17 at 11:38 AM

Roscoe
#3989th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 1/25/17 at 1:44pm

Glad you dug it, javero.  For me, THE  REVENANT was the funniest film ever made about the filmmaking process, about a major movie star in search of an Oscar who signs on for an Art Western by a Foreign Director, and finds himself crawling through snow, wearing fake-blood-soaked period costumes and prosthetic wound makeup, crawling through more snow, spitting up fake blood, crawling through some more snow, riding the rapids, crawling through still more snow, riding a horse off a cliff, crawling through snow, rescuing a damsel in distress and suffering an attack by stunt coordinators hiding behind a phony CGI bear after crawling through still more snow, and in the film's most inspired meta-cinematic touch, the producers managed to buy the film's actual star one of those knickknacks.

LaLaLAND is such a bore it isn't even worth the trouble of mocking.

"If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." Thomas Pynchon, GRAVITY'S RAINBOW "Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." Philip K. Dick My blog: http://www.roscoewrites.blogspot.com/
Updated On: 1/25/17 at 01:44 PM

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#4089th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 1/25/17 at 2:33pm

"All the "Hidden Figures" love seems to come from the #OscarsSoWhite backlash. I don't think it was a good movie and the performances were fine, but not award worthy."

I enjoyed it as a feel-good middle-of-the-road movie, but agree it isn't award worthy (then again, a lot of feel-good- middle-of-the-road movies that aren't  half as good as "Hidden Figures" often get Oscar nods or even win Oscars).  But there was no need for Oscar to award it to counter the #OscarsSoWhite rep this year, as this year there were a quite a few worthwhile movies that aren't so white, some of which - Moonlight and Fences primarily - got well deserved Oscar nods. 

Updated On: 1/25/17 at 02:33 PM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#4189th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 1/25/17 at 11:33pm

Agreed, but I think Moonlight and Fences are in a much higher bracket compared to Hidden Figures which just felt pandering and overtly Hollywood. But, hey, it's an interesting story - albeit told in a very uninteresting way - and I'm happy to see its success! I just like the more off-beat fare like Moonlight. 

aaaaaa15
#4289th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 1/26/17 at 8:37am

/ Updated On: 10/21/20 at 08:37 AM

madbrian Profile Photo
madbrian
#4389th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 1/26/17 at 12:28pm

I am perfectly OK with a film celebrating women, particularly women of color, getting all the praise and every award.  Frankly, our country could use that right now.

"It does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are 20 gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket, nor breaks my leg." -- Thomas Jefferson

wonderfulwizard11 Profile Photo
wonderfulwizard11
#4489th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 1/26/17 at 12:34pm

I'd rather see Hidden Figures get awards attention than La La Land. It's no masterpiece, but it's a solid, well-crafted movie that's thoroughly enjoyable. I do think that Janelle Monae deserved a nomination over Octavia Spencer, but both were very good.

Outside of critics, I don't know anyone who has seen Lion. 

I am a firm believer in serendipity- all the random pieces coming together in one wonderful moment, when suddenly you see what their purpose was all along.

ArtMan
#4589th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 1/26/17 at 4:05pm

I saw Lion and quite enjoyed it.  I didn't know too much about the story, so I had low expectations.  Actually liked it more than La La Land, Manchester and Moonlight.

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#4689th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 1/26/17 at 8:46pm

Moonlight, Manchester, Fences, all sad. Is there anything besides La la Land that's upbeat?

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

aaaaaa15
#4789th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 1/26/17 at 9:28pm

Jane2 said: "Moonlight, Manchester, Fences, all sad. Is there anything besides La la Land that's upbeat?"

Hidden Figures. And La La Land doesn't exactly have the most upbeat ending.

Updated On: 1/26/17 at 09:28 PM

Jane2 Profile Photo
Jane2
#4889th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 1/26/17 at 9:42pm

ok thanks aaaaaaaaaaa

<-----I'M TOTES ROLLING MY EYES

Someone in a Tree2 Profile Photo
Someone in a Tree2
#4989th Academy Awards Thread
Posted: 1/26/17 at 9:50pm

Jane, go see ARRIVAL. There is a bittersweet undertow to the movie, but it is a beautifully calibrated story not about aliens at all, but about how we humans live our lives. And it fills you with a great joy by the end. Sublime. Maybe the best truly feel-good movie of the year.

Updated On: 1/26/17 at 09:50 PM

Videos