pixeltracker

BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews- Page 10

BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews

After Eight
#225BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/24/19 at 7:59am

Vote Peron wrote:

" But to have such a fun show about losers on Broadway is an underdog story that I can't pass up."

Isn't the design of this show--- and really, all the others like it --- to scuttle the very notion of "losers?"

Capital Knockers
#226BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/24/19 at 8:05am

massofmen said: "i cannot wait to see another musical about teenagers whining about how difficult their lives are.

IM SO EXCITED!!!!
"

Gee, Officer Krupke...

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#227BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/24/19 at 8:08am

Vote Peron said, "For example, I find The Prom a poorly written chore to sit through, but most people adore that show."

Well, this gives me some hope...as I felt the same way about The Prom. Ive seen a few of Iconis' shows and have always been underwhelmed. But I love his music...so many of his songs tell a whole story, so, I keep trying.   

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#228BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/24/19 at 10:13am

After Eight said: "Vote Peron wrote:

"But to have such a fun show about losers on Broadway is an underdog story that I can't pass up."

Isn't the designofthis show--- and really, all the others like it --- to scuttle the very notion of "losers?"”

Totally see where you’re coming from, but I’d argue no. It’s not like Mean Girls where everyone magically becomes “stars” at the end. I think the show makes it clear that you should be proud and embrace whoever you are - we all have “voices in our heads” but the loudest one is your own. And it’s our job to follow that, no matter what labels come with it. (The new song, “Loser, Geek, Whatever” is an amazing example of how they handle the topic)

Re: the dumb comment about whining teenagers - sure, I get it. There’s nothing new about the base of this storyline. But same goes for every love story, jukebox bio, and Disney show. They’re all formulaic. They all have a similar base. It’s up to the individual show to decide how to handle the topic & push the genre forward. 

I’m not interested in pitting shows against each other. But you can’t tell me that Mean Girls, Prom, Cher Show, and King Kong are better written shows than BMC. I simply don’t believe that’s true. But, like always, this board likes to decide one opinion and run with it. I hope more people give BMC a chance. 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#229BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/25/19 at 1:50pm

Saw this show last night. Mostly enjoyed it. Don't know anything by Joe Iconis, and song were catchy and well-arranged. But could I hum you a number from the show? Not at all. And that first act closer goes on way too long, I started dozing off. But some good performances overall and a strong book. I honestly haven't a clue how it'll do come awards season.

I will say it was definitely a different audience last night than the usual Broadway crowd, but for the most part they were definitely digging the show, cheered loudly but respectfully, and didn't see any phone lights. One kid was in a tux with a red bowtie saying it was the best thing he ever saw, and that was a really sweet thing to see.

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#230BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/25/19 at 2:31pm

everythingtaboo said: "One kid was in a tux with a red bowtie saying it was the best thing he ever saw, and that was a really sweet thing to see."

Awwwwwww. This is why I like the new generation of shows. The Prom, Mean Girls, DEH, Hamilton, Heathers, Be More Chill..though I'm not a huge fan of all of them, they are bringing new blood into theatre. I personally get really sad looking around at a show and I'm basically the only minority and/or millennial. In recent years, the shows arent just filled with 40 year old white people. I love that so many different types of people (age, race, background) are coming to shows now. 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

slumdogdelaware Profile Photo
slumdogdelaware
#231BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/25/19 at 4:09pm

One kid was in a tux with a red bowtie saying it was the best thing he ever saw, and that was a really sweet thing to see."

It wasn't Iain Armitage, was it? I ran into him all dressed up in a tux at The Color Purple a few years back. 

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#232BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/25/19 at 7:53pm

Broadway has turned into "high school musicals" or "jukebox musicals." Barf. 

everythingtaboo Profile Photo
everythingtaboo
#233BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/25/19 at 8:03pm

slumdogdelaware said: "One kid was in a tux with a red bowtie saying it was the best thing he ever saw, and that was a really sweet thing to see."

It wasn'tIain Armitage, was it? I ran into him all dressed up in a tux at The Color Purple a few years back.
"

No, it wasn't, but I totally forgot about those days, he's too busy being a huge CBS star now!

"Hey little girls, look at all the men in shiny shirts and no wives!" - Jackie Hoffman, Xanadu, 19 Feb 2008

greenifyme2
#234BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/25/19 at 8:18pm

Noticed there are a ton of unsold seats tomorrow and Wednesday. Would it be better to try TKTS as soon as they open or a couple hours before curtain?

jakebloke Profile Photo
jakebloke
#235BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/27/19 at 10:30am

Saw this last night without really any exposure other than hearing a few songs.  I'm 45, so prob not the target audience (whatever that means really), but I was sitting next to a 90 yr old.  It was interesting to see some of the reactions from the very mixed audience.  I was expecting a lot more youth.  Anyways, it started around 8:05 and we were walking out at 10:40, so it seems they've trimmed a bit.  George Salazar was out, but Troy Iwata was fantastic.  He seemed to have the biggest audience reaction.  My only problem was I thought he was so adorable I had a hard time thinking he could pass for a "loser"  BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews

greenifyme2
#236BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/27/19 at 11:33am

I was there last night too. At 5:30pm I got a 5th row center TKTS ticket for $85. Score!

Troy blew Michael in the Bathroom our of the water. He sounded just like George but clearer and unstrained.

I’m disappointed in the changes to Jason’s look. I thought the Squip costumes and wigs were nearly perfect off broadway. He looked weirder, and definitely greasier and not as cool as before.

Ethan Slater, Alex Newell, and of course Joe Iconis were in the audience.

Braniff Forever
#237BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/27/19 at 11:55am

So do you think BMC will have the financial returns to producers and investors that Dear Evan Hansen has had? What makes a show last a long time?

haterobics Profile Photo
haterobics
#238BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/27/19 at 12:03pm

Braniff Forever said: "What makes a show last a long time?"

People buying non-discounted tickets.

Braniff Forever
#239BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/27/19 at 12:06pm

Aren’t they discounting a lot to get a lot of people in seats to spread the word? To increase word of mouth?

ccbway
#240BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/27/19 at 12:07pm

That seems very unlikely. Dear Evan Hansen was essentially sold-out to oversold from the first full week of previews through to present day, 1.5 years later.

BMC is already down after the first week of previews, and seats seem available for all shows, even in the immediate future. Not only are overall ticket prices lower, overall sales and gross are also lower. I'm not saying it definitely won't be profitable, but I don't think there's much to suggest that it will have anything close to the impact that Dear Evan Hansen had - even if somehow it wins some Tonys, just based on some very immediately looking trends. Check out the grosses and tickets sold for the next few weeks and you should see the trends more clearly. If it spikes up and increases week to week, there's a chance, but it doesn't appear likely.

HGorn Profile Photo
HGorn
#241BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/27/19 at 2:46pm

I myself, like many on this board, would hate to see any Broadway show fail. However based on what is still available on Telecharge for performances from today forward I don't see this show being anywhere near a hit - unless it gets incredible reviews - which is highly unlikely. I saw it and thought it dragged and was very corny. Yet millenials and gen Z around me all thought it was incredible and the generation X people (like myself) and older people around me didn't enjoy it.

GiantsInTheSky2 Profile Photo
GiantsInTheSky2
#242BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/27/19 at 3:02pm

This will be one of those cult shows that closes earlier than expected.

Happy for those who were introduced to theater because of it, though.

I am big. It’s the REVIVALS that got small.

josh147
#243BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/27/19 at 3:12pm

So - I'm hearing a lot about how the Squip changed from pre-Broadway to Broadway. I only got to see it for the first time last week, and was not a huge fan of the "Keanu"-ish voice and mannerisms. Was it something different before? Was the costume (silver suit) different before?

jakebloke Profile Photo
jakebloke
#244BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/27/19 at 3:24pm

Even tho there’s a general common theme between DEH and BMC, they are vastly different in appeal to a general audience. BMC is really kinda out there in its quirkiness and almost sci fi which gets a little strange. I don’t see it having the same impact or success that DEH has had and continues to have. I wish it well though. I had a fun time and regardless of the material, I thought it was a superb young cast.

YvanEhtNioj Profile Photo
YvanEhtNioj
#245BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/27/19 at 5:51pm

Troy should take over as the principal for Michael. It wont skyrocket ticket sales, but it's a start. 

Miss Keisha? Miss Keisha? Miss Keishhhaaaa?

Bwayornoway
#246BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/27/19 at 7:24pm

I'm wondering if the off bway show "Superhero' will be the Hit BMC wants to be.  I haven't seen 'Superhero' but the videos of the show songs seem more engaging and relatable to a wider audience then the songs of BMC.  Nothing against BMC and we are now comparing a freshman off bway show to a now bway show.  May the strongest heartbeat win!

greenifyme2
#247BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/27/19 at 7:31pm

Bwayornoway said: "I'm wondering if the off bway show "Superhero' will be the Hit BMC wants to be. I haven't seen 'Superhero' but the videos of the show songs seem more engaging and relatable to a wider audience then the songs of BMC. Nothing against BMC and we are now comparing a freshman off bway show to a now bway show. May the strongest heartbeat win!"

Don’t see how that’s possible. Not to throw this thread off track but I sat in the front row of Superhero, it was one of the most perfect seats I’ve ever been and was bored out of my mind. Not going to bother listing all of my issues with it here, but I’ve never walked out on a show and if I was there by myself, I would have left at intermission.

bk
#248BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/27/19 at 7:45pm

YvanEhtNioj said: "everythingtaboo said: "One kid was in a tux with a red bowtie saying it was the best thing he ever saw, and that was a really sweet thing to see."

Awwwwwww. This is why I like the new generation of shows. The Prom, Mean Girls, DEH, Hamilton, Heathers, Be More Chill..though I'm not a huge fan of all of them, they are bringing new blood into theatre. I personally get really sad looking around at a show and I'm basically the only minority and/or millennial. In recent years, the shows arent just filled with 40 year old white people. I love that so many different types of people (age, race, background) are coming to shows now.

"

"40 year old white people" - Is forty supposed to be old now?  I'll ignore the "white people" comment.  Young people throughout history have come to Broadway shows.  You think you're the first generation to see Broadway shows at a young age?  The difference NOW is that shows are pandering to your age group - THAT is the difference.   

\_(•_•)_/ Profile Photo
\_(•_•)_/
#249BE MORE CHILL (Broadway) Previews
Posted: 2/27/19 at 7:54pm

40 year old white people? Okay!

Videos