pixeltracker

INTO THE WOODS Previews- Page 10

INTO THE WOODS Previews

theatrestudent8992
#225INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/12/22 at 10:58pm

Do we know how long Jason Forbach will be on for Brian as the Baker?

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#226INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/13/22 at 12:29am

Someone on Twitter said Brian was out through early next week, but obviously the veracity of that is…nebulous.

Jason Forbach was on as Baker again tonight and, honestly, he was perfect. I didn’t miss BDJ at all. 10/10. No notes. His chemistry with Sara Bareilles was marvelous and his “No More” moved me to tears. Alex Joseph Grayson was on as Jack and I thought he was great too.

Overall, the show is in great shape for how quickly it came together. I’ve never heard an audience applaud a Sondheim musical like it was a rock concert - it was CRAZY.  The only quibble I had was with Patina Miller. As much as it killed me to say, she had too much restraint as the Witch after the “reveal” (which, let’s be real, she was SERVING EVERYTHING!) Songs that I feel like should’ve made me feel some level of menace did not, and that was a slight let down. She acted it well, but didn’t meet the grade for the songs

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#227INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/13/22 at 9:16am

If the sky were the limit on a Baker replacement, Josh Groban and Sara together would be a dream.  But I'd absolutely love to see Josh Radnor as the Baker! 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#228INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/13/22 at 10:10am

henrikegerman said: "If the sky were the limit on a Baker replacement, Josh Groban and Sara together would be a dream. But I'd absolutely love to see Josh Radnor as the Baker!"

a) No one's replacing the Baker, Brian's just out for medical reasons (presumably tested positive for Covid, but I haven't seen the email)
b) Groban is... yeah no. He could be an interesting Narrator in 20ish years time, but Baker isn't in his wheelhouse. At least imo.

I'm seeing the show Sat evening, I REALLY hope BDJ is back in. He and Soo are the main reason I am spending more money to go back and see this again.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

BJR Profile Photo
BJR
#229INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/13/22 at 10:14am

And yeah, an extension isn't possible. The Piano Lesson loads in the day after they load out, and there isn't another Jujamcyn house for Piano lesson to move to.

Hairspray0901
#230INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/13/22 at 2:07pm

Per Instagram, Julia Lester is out for “the next few days”. Link

BroadwayGuy12 Profile Photo
BroadwayGuy12
#231INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/13/22 at 6:50pm

I was at the matinee today and there were three understudies on - Jason Forbach as the Baker, Delphi Borich as Little Red, and Alex Joseph Grayson as Jack. I enjoyed all three, particularly Jason Forbach. I was looking forward to seeing Brian d'Arcy James when I purchased my ticket, but Forbach really held his own up there. It already felt like a very honest and lived in performance, and, as others have mentioned, his chemistry with Sara was great.

The show is just as good as it was at Encores!, and I'm thrilled that I got the chance to see it again. And since BDJ was out, that just gives me a good excuse to make yet another return visit, maybe when Cheyenne Jackson slips in as Cinderella's Prince :)

Play  Esq. Profile Photo
Play Esq.
#232INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/13/22 at 6:57pm

I was also at today’s performance. While I’m looking forward to seeing Brian’s performance later in the run, and while I appreciate how wonderful this production is (and it really really is), I left feeling as though the Encores! performances were really something special that’s nearly impossible to replicate. What stood out most for me was the absence of Heather and Denée. As a positive though, I was happy to see this production in a more intimate theater. 

Dolly80
#233INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/13/22 at 6:57pm

BJR said: "And yeah, an extension isn't possible. The Piano Lesson loads in the day after they load out, and there isn't another Jujamcyn house for Piano lesson to move to."

You are wrong. This is extending and the Piano Lesson is moving theatres.

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#234INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/13/22 at 7:01pm

Piano Lesson is apparently moving to the Barrymore and Into The Woods is extending. Surprised Piano Lesson isn’t taking the compatible sized Broadway. 

Dolly80
#235INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/13/22 at 7:02pm

How stupid.
Into the woods is a cheap concert and could easily be moved. This is bad form. Updated On: 7/13/22 at 07:02 PM

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#236INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/13/22 at 7:13pm

Dolly80 said: "How stupid.
Into the woods is a cheap concert and could easily be moved. This is bad form.
"

No. It can’t “easily be moved”. As myself and others have pointed out, Jujamcyn has no theaters available for it to move to. If this “Piano Lesson” switch is in fact happening and going to a Shubert house, than something was worked out for that to happen that will hopefully benefit both shows financially. 

Georgeanddot2 Profile Photo
Georgeanddot2
#237INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/13/22 at 8:04pm

Piano Lesson is moving theaters and Into the Woods will stay at the St. James.

troynow
#238INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/13/22 at 8:26pm

I can tell all of you. With  certainty, The Piano Lesson is NOT moving theatre. There was an exploration of costs. But Into The Woods could not afford. Post is wrong.

Georgeanddot2
#239INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/13/22 at 8:44pm

Piano Lesson is taking the Barrymore.  The landlords want Into the Woods to stay at the St James.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#240INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/13/22 at 8:55pm

Well this is getting interesting…

JSquared2
#241INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/13/22 at 9:08pm

So many "insider experts" on this thread.  Some of y'all are going to look pretty stupid tomorrow.

Dylan Smith4 Profile Photo
Dylan Smith4
#242INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/13/22 at 10:24pm

I really hope to God that the extension rumors are true! This show is WAY TOO GOOD to only run till August. If the extension does happen, the real question is how long would the cast be willing to stay before leaving for other commitments. 

The idea is to work and to experiment. Some things will be creatively successful, some things will succeed at the box office, and some things will only - which is the biggest only - teach you things that see the future. And they're probably as valuable as any of your successes. -Harold Prince

Georgeanddot2
#243INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/13/22 at 11:16pm

https://nypost.com/2022/07/13/samuel-l-jacksons-broadway-play-the-piano-lesson-gets-shafted/?utm_campaign=SocialFlow&utm_medium=SocialFlow&utm_source=NYPTwitter&s=09

BwayinVan
#244INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/14/22 at 12:03am

What happens to tickets already purchased for the Piano Lesson? I’m guessing they just get changed to something similar at the new theatre?

BroadwayNYC2 Profile Photo
BroadwayNYC2
#245INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/14/22 at 12:11am

In a week of unhinged and delusional takes, this one takes the cake! https://twitter.com/onstageblog/status/1547408042882486276?s=21

Broadway Twitter really losing its grasp on the real world quickly. 

sparksatmidnight
#246INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/14/22 at 12:15am

I'll blame this one on you for expecting anything different from anyone ever associated with onstage blog

Dancingthrulife2 Profile Photo
Dancingthrulife2
#247INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/14/22 at 3:46am

BroadwayNYC2 said: "In a week of unhinged and delusional takes, this one takes the cake!https://twitter.com/onstageblog/status/1547408042882486276?s=21

Broadway Twitter really losing its grasp on the real world quickly.
"

The two-digit likes says all.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#248INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/14/22 at 5:36am

The St. James is literally the last theatre I would consider for a straight play, regardless of who is cast, because it’s so large and I can’t imagine the acoustics of a play boding well for the cheap seats.

If they can more to a more appropriate house, renegotiate, and make it work for everyone, by all means since Broadway is a BUSINESS. The Jujamcyn group realize they struck (a slipper as pure as) gold with this and it would be hard to just let it go away after 8 weeks. 

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#249INTO THE WOODS Previews
Posted: 7/14/22 at 5:40am

I think it's worth noting that the current long-running Broadway revival of CHICAGO also started at Encores! and was in the same boat as INTO THE WOODS is now when it made its transfer... It had a theatre (the Richard Rodgers) for a limited time only. That was in 1996 and it's still running on Broadway today. I'm in no way insinuating that INTO THE WOODS is going to run for 25 years, but it sure would be cool to get another surprise hit revival from Encores! that enjoyed a nice long run...

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Videos