pixeltracker

Streisand Gypsy is still on....- Page 11

Streisand Gypsy is still on....

RJ14
#250Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 7/14/16 at 2:55pm

Please for the sake of theatre god, dont ruin this movie Barbs. And please dont cast Gaga as Louise. And please consider sitting back on the director chair and let someone more fitting ( in every aspect: voice, look, ...) be Mama Rose.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#251Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 7/14/16 at 3:01pm

I actually maintain that Gaga would be a phenomenal Louise.

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#252Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 7/14/16 at 3:07pm

Agreed! Annaleigh Ashford as June, though, please.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

broadwayboy223
#253Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 7/14/16 at 3:22pm

Barbra is gonna slay us into the ground. 

Broadwayhunk Profile Photo
Broadwayhunk
#254Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 7/14/16 at 3:37pm

I admit to being intrigued with what "new concept" they have come up with.  

ComingUpRoses2 Profile Photo
ComingUpRoses2
#255Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 7/14/16 at 4:03pm

I'm actually very relieved to hear about this new concept. The other two versions of Gypsy didn't work on film for many reasons, but both of them shared the same staginess. I've often thought about "Some People" on film and how dynamic it could be if it was more of a montage with Rose packing up her kids, getting in the car, and leaving. "Rose's Turn" as a full on hallucination in Rose's mind with the same men in Louise's audience cheering for her, etc. It could be wonderful. 

10086sunset
#256Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 7/14/16 at 4:45pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "I actually maintain that Gaga would be a phenomenal Louise.

"

Couldn't agree more. She would kill in this.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#257Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 7/14/16 at 5:14pm

I'm intrigued as well.

As for Gaga and Travolta please no. 

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#258Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 7/14/16 at 7:58pm

ComingUpRoses2 said: ""Rose's Turn" as a full on hallucination in Rose's mind with the same men in Louise's audience cheering for her, etc. It could be wonderful. "

I agree with this, the other films with their empty auditoriums in that scene were creepy.

I think that Gaga also could be wonderful. Conversely, she could be awful. (I didn't watch last season of AHS so I don't know most of her acting work.) Travolta would be all wrong.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#259Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 7/14/16 at 8:20pm

I am sure Gaga could act it just fine, but as I've said before, Katy Perry is much more believable as a 1930's burlesque queen, but who knows if she could act it. 

Streisand Gypsy is still on....Streisand Gypsy is still on....

Updated On: 7/14/16 at 08:20 PM

Luscious Profile Photo
Luscious
#260Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 7/14/16 at 8:22pm

Gaga, Yes! Travolta, No!

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#261Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 7/14/16 at 8:55pm

Perry certainly couldn't sing it. Hearing her live is what turned me off of her as a performer. Gaga would be phenomenal - I'd love to see her take in Fanny in a Funny Girl revival.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#262Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 7/14/16 at 9:22pm

I totally agree re: empty houses during Rose's Turn. Since it's a "Musical Fable" some fantasy is called for. Something I definitely think the original film got wrong. (I haven't seen the Midler version)

Peter2 Profile Photo
Peter2
#263Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 7/15/16 at 2:33pm

Mr. Nowack said: "I totally agree re: empty houses during Rose's Turn. Since it's a "Musical Fable" some fantasy is called for. Something I definitely think the original film got wrong. (I haven't seen the Midler version)"

And if they do that, maybe they could recreate the original "spooky" ending with dissonant violin harmonics that was axed so that Merman could get her big ovation. It would make sense, since there's no direct interaction with the live audience as there is in the theater.

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#264Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 7/15/16 at 3:03pm

Oooh I never heard that tidbit, it sounds amazing.

Peter2 Profile Photo
Peter2
#265Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 7/15/16 at 3:53pm

Mr. Nowack said: "Oooh I never heard that tidbit, it sounds amazing."

Among other places to read about it, try Sondheim's "Finishing the Hat" and Arthur Laurents's autobiography. It's a very interesting story! BUT--I can see how what now works so beautifully in the theater--Rose continuing to bow even when the audience's applause has stopped--might be, for once, better replaced in the movie by the original idea (since who knows how long, or even if, the audience will applaud).

ComingUpRoses2
#266Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 7/15/16 at 9:06pm

I've also wanted to see a version that restored that original ending. It sounds so haunting. No big, triumphant "for me!", but just jarring, guttural shrieks. 

I've also wondered if there could be a way it could start intercutting between the real Rose, alone on the stage, and Rose "the star" doing her thing, so that we can hear what she really sounds like and then what she sounds like in her own deluded mind. There's so much fun to be had with this number that I'm surprised no one's ever really even tried to reinvent it for film. 

g.d.e.l.g.i. Profile Photo
g.d.e.l.g.i.
#267Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 7/15/16 at 10:04pm

I've always thought it should be a strip, and John Ellis (he of the "Stripper Christmas Tree" article) agrees, even choreographed it in his head down to the last step.

Formerly gvendo2005
Broadway Legend

Blocked: After Eight, suestorm, david_fick, emlodik, lovebwy, Dave28282, joevitus, BorisTomashevsky

ComingUpRoses2
#268Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 7/15/16 at 11:43pm

g.d.e.l.g.i. said: "I've always thought it should be a strip, and John Ellis (he of the "Stripper Christmas Tree" article) agrees, even choreographed it in his head down to the last step.

"

Where is this article? It sounds fascinating. 

Broadwayhunk Profile Photo
Broadwayhunk
#269Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 7/16/16 at 1:50am

Ethel Merman in a g-string - Love her, but I dunno...

Peter2 Profile Photo
Peter2
#270Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 7/16/16 at 3:59am

ComingUpRoses2 said: "I've also wondered if there could be a way it could start intercutting between the real Rose, alone on the stage, and Rose "the star" doing her thing, so that we can hear what she really sounds like and then what she sounds like in her own deluded mind. There's so much fun to be had with this number that I'm surprised no one's ever really even tried to reinvent it for film. "

Ooh, Gypsy as Florence Foster Jenkins--I can totally see that! And yeah, also stripping, in her own mind and in reality, a complete breakdown. 

Claudia Draper
#271Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 8/4/16 at 8:03am

3rd strike....  Maybe the tour will persuade investors..

http://deadline.com/2016/08/barbra-streisand-gypsy-movie-loses-distributor-stx-1201798250/

broadwayboy223
#272Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 8/4/16 at 9:48am

God....I hope this gets made and soon. 

CarlosAlberto Profile Photo
CarlosAlberto
#273Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 8/4/16 at 9:54am

The way this is panning out Streisand will be directing Gaga  as Mama Rose and Ariana Grande will be Louise/Gypsy.

ComingUpRoses2
#274Streisand Gypsy is still on....
Posted: 8/4/16 at 1:43pm

Sweet Jesus! This damn project has had more issues that I can think of. 

Here's the thing - isn't Barbra loaded? If she really wants to do this, maybe she be an associate producer and help finance a bit of the film. 

Videos