pixeltracker

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway- Page 11

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#251ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/15/17 at 12:01pm

Nothing more exciting than fresh talent! Can't wait to see her.

Fordham2015
#252ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/15/17 at 12:07pm

Wasn't the whole point of the international casting call to cast someone from the Caribbean, though?

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#253ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/15/17 at 12:39pm

Fordham2015 said: "Wasn't the whole point of the international casting call to cast someone from the Caribbean, though?"

That was just where they were starting the talent search (in Haiti). There was no guarantee that they'd find the right actress there. The main goal was to find a talented unknown, which it looks like they did!

Itonlytakesajourney Profile Photo
Itonlytakesajourney
#255ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/15/17 at 4:28pm

Sooo happy she's been cast! I love her voice, she'll be a great Ti Moune.

VintageSnarker
#256ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/15/17 at 9:33pm

She's gorgeous and that announcement video was adorable. Have they announced who is playing Daniel yet? 

orlikethecolorpurple
#257ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/15/17 at 9:38pm

Issac Powell is playing Daniel 

orlikethecolorpurple
#258ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/15/17 at 9:38pm

Updated On: 8/15/17 at 09:38 PM

LizzieCurry Profile Photo
LizzieCurry
#259ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/16/17 at 12:42pm

curel1 said: "Vid of the casting announcement 

http://www.theatermania.com/broadway/news/hailey-kilgore-once-on-this-island-video_82072.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=15aug2017

Her reaction is hilarious!
"

Thanks! But is there a non-Flash version of this somewhere?

"This thread reads like a series of White House memos." — Mister Matt

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#260ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/17/17 at 8:37am

So apparently cast members from this revival will be performing at Grand Central's Summer Send-Off on August 24th. I plan on checking it out...I think this will be the very first "sneak peek" of the show?

Link

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#261ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/17/17 at 11:04am

Her reaction was seriously the best. I really want to see this production now. Plus, I don't know I'm ever going to get another chance to see a Broadway production of this show in my lifetime.

Ado Annie D'Ysquith Profile Photo
Ado Annie D'Ysquith
#262ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/24/17 at 8:24am

Today is the 1:30pm performance at Grand Central Terminal. Casts of A Bronx Tale, Bandstand, Stomp, and Anastasia will also be there- an awesome lineup! Anyone want to meet me there?

http://puccinischronicles.wordpress.com

MattRVA Profile Photo
MattRVA
#263ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/24/17 at 5:18pm

Could someone with a greater knowledge of musical theatre please fill in this blank for me? "If you enjoyed _________, you would also enjoy OOTI."

I'm trying to decide if I should catch this for a matinee when I'm in town in December for The Band's Visit. I've listened to the OBC recording and had a lukewarm reaction - didn't find it great, but I liked some of it, and I understand the appeal. I might still like to see this show, particularly with this cast, but I'm not sure I'd choose to pay full price.

Speculation is of limited value, of course, but what are the chances that with this cast the show might be on TDF / TKTS?

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#264ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/24/17 at 5:57pm

That's a difficult question to answer, especially given this is entirely reconceived for a very different production than the original.  I absolutely LOVED the original production, but it was quite unique and I struggle to find a fair comparison.  The score speaks for itself on the cast recording.  The original staging relied on much creativity and imagination through various props, drapes and costumes.  It unfolded as story theatre narrated by the Gods of the story.  Conceptually, I'd probably compare to the likes of Godspell, though with a slightly more traditional narrative style.  The original designs were colorful and gorgeous and it was so fluidly staged and choreographed.  The clip provided for the Tony awards captures some of the energy, but lacks the visual punch of the actual production.  It was poignant, emotional and ultimately joyous.

I wish I could find more photos of the original production online.  I'll always remember the gorgeous staging of Waiting for Life to Begin through Rain.  

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian
Updated On: 8/24/17 at 05:57 PM

VintageSnarker
#265ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/24/17 at 8:26pm

MattRVA said: "Could someone with a greater knowledge of musical theatre please fill in this blank for me? "If you enjoyed _________, you would also enjoy OOTI."

That's a hard game to play with OOTI. It's contemporary musical theater not like Jason Robert Brown but in the sense that it feels more accessible in a way. More in the vein of Hair and Disney stuff than classic musicals. The plot is pretty straightforward. You're focused on an ingenue and there's a romantic couple being kept apart by class differences, etc. But I wouldn't automatically said you'd enjoy it if you enjoyed West Side Story. 

I'd say it's a bright, joyful show kind of like Hair, The Little Mermaid, possibly Shrek, Cabin in the Sky, etc. Even though there's melodrama, it's generally pretty entertaining vs. something that's supposed to make you weepy or engage you too much intellectually. If cast correctly, the strength of the score is clear, strong (almost unamplified sounding) voices vs. great orchestrations or complicated melodies. It's not a dumb show but it's along the lines of a fairy tale/love story. 

Acknowledging that speculation is of limited value, unless it's getting raves by December, you might be OK waiting on tickets. To me, Lea Salonga is the biggest name and she couldn't sell Allegiance. Circle in the Square is a small theater which means fewer tickets are available each night. But we're all familiar with Davenport's shenanigans, plus, he does favor rushes/lotteries and different discounts. But if it does manage to get raves, it might be tougher to get a good seat. So really it's up to you if you want to chance it.

Mister Matt Profile Photo
Mister Matt
#266ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/24/17 at 10:39pm

Circle in the Square is a small theater which means fewer tickets are available each night. But we're all familiar with Davenport's shenanigans, plus, he does favor rushes/lotteries and different discounts.

And yet, he couldn't get Godspell to sell in the same space.

"What can you expect from a bunch of seitan worshippers?" - Reginald Tresilian

VotePeron Profile Photo
VotePeron
#267ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/24/17 at 10:54pm

I hate to be "that guy" and like, I hope I get proven wrong, but I just cannot imagine any scenario where this production is a commercial success, or will run for long at all. No one knows the show by name, the cast won't sell tickets to anyone outside of the theater community who would've seen it anyway, and we all know Davenports track record. 

MattRVA Profile Photo
MattRVA
#268ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/25/17 at 4:15pm

Thanks to both Mister Matt and VintageSnarker. Those posts are both very helpful. I think I'll hold out for now and wait for the reviews. Even if tickets sell briskly, I figure there's no truly terrible seat at Circle in the Square.

raddersons Profile Photo
raddersons
#269ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 8/28/17 at 5:26pm

At this point I'm just waiting on a discount code. Do I want to see Once on this Island? Yes. Do I want to pay $80? Ehhhhhhhhhh....

VintageSnarker said: "To me, Lea Salonga is the biggest name and she couldn't sell Allegiance. "

Allegiance was also a hot mess. Not sure anyone could save that show.

Updated On: 8/28/17 at 05:26 PM

itsjustmejonhotmailcom Profile Photo
itsjustmejonhotmailcom
#270ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 10/2/17 at 1:32am

Some photos of a model of the set:

https://ibb.co/fgJRkb
https://ibb.co/nAOsQb
https://ibb.co/hRjABG

Updated On: 10/2/17 at 01:32 AM

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#271ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 10/2/17 at 4:09pm

Not sure what to make of that? I guess they're going for a "found" theater vibe of like these people move in and tell this story kind of thing? But then what is that thing sticking out into the audience? Hm. 

nightnic001 Profile Photo
nightnic001
#272ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 10/2/17 at 4:21pm

Looks like a broken power line that fell over

Wildcard
#273ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 10/2/17 at 4:21pm

Not a fan of the set. What I love about this story is that it's a fairy tale. The set has too much reality brought into it

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#274ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 10/2/17 at 4:40pm

Wildcard said: "Not a fan of the set. What I love about this story is that it's a fairy tale. The set has too much reality brought into it"

I think it the giant set pieces like the boat and broken hut will mostly be in the dark when story-telling is going on. I don't know this of course, but guessing it by how they've been put on the extreme sides in this model. It might work really well if they effectively use staging, lighting, and even the elevators Fun Home installed in that house, to give it a surreal "look at this space transform" quality.

I do hate how diorama-esque this looks. I have come to expect higher quality set models since Korins and Rockwell got some visibility in past few seasons, and this just looks like a middle schooler made it with the help of his boozy aunt.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Videos