pixeltracker

2017 TONY Awards Performances- Page 11

2017 TONY Awards Performances

bear88
#2502017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/7/17 at 10:51pm

But you will see Bette Midler, late in the show, presenting an award!

At this point, my guess is that Rudin is protecting Midler, who - for some reason - doesn't want to sing anything from Hello, Dolly on the Tony telecast. There are obviously other songs from the show that feature Midler.

Future generations will remember the Hello, Dolly revival as that show with Niles Crane singing a solo.

Anyway, moving on. When do we hear about the other performances?

stlrod
#2512017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/7/17 at 11:20pm

I think CFA could do a shortened 28 Hours/Wherever We Are to give Jen a bit of a solo and the ensemble a chance to shine.  Would love to see Screech In but just don't see it happening. Rooting for a CFA upset. 

pupscotch
#2522017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/7/17 at 11:45pm

I saw in an Instagram story that showed Groundhog Day doing a medley involving Day One. Don't know if this has already been mentioned.

dianamorales Profile Photo
dianamorales
#2532017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/8/17 at 12:12am

I don't even care about Bette. She's wonderful, but I just wanted the world to see and remember this beautiful show. oh well.

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#2542017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/8/17 at 2:23am

We could have gotten "It Only Takes a Moment" at the very least, a song people would recognize from this classic musical. Even if Bette were being protected for some reason, we could have gotten Gavin Creel or Kate Baldwin singing beautiful lush Jerry Herman melodies. This will be remembered as one of the biggest missed opportunities in Tony history no matter who's to blame.

Willie4316
#2562017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/8/17 at 9:50am

HamilHansen said: "bear88 said: "My compelling question remains: What songs will Great Comet mash up, and how in the world can it possibly work? If we're going to get a Groban ballad, it must be a shortened version of "Dust and Ashes" because I doubt they would do "Pierre" without the Prologue and they wouldn't do the last song. And the dance song must be "Balaga," right?

My guess would be Prologue into No One Else into the rave scene into Dust and Ashes into Balaga into the finale. Just a guess.
"

My guess is the last line in the Prologue with the one liners for all the characters. Go into Dust and Ashes last minute and a half, followed by No One Else. Balaga dance break into last section of finale. 

bear88
#2572017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/8/17 at 10:37am

That would be a choppy mess for Great Comet. I hope Chavkin doesn't try to jam in too much. Based on the New York Times story, I assume it will be some combination of a couple of songs, a high-energy number like "Balaga" and one of Groban/Pierre's songs, probably "Dust and Ashes." It won't necessarily be those songs, and I can imagine slipping in a bit of a third. But Chavkin isn't going to get an endless amount of time, so there can only be so many songs.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
curel1
#2592017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/8/17 at 11:17am

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "What the heck?! No Anastasia?!

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-Who-Will-Perform-at-the-2017-Tony-Awards-List-Announced-20170608

"

Aww, that's a shame. I was hoping for Once Upon a December so at least they could show off the costumes.

disneybroadwayfan22 Profile Photo
disneybroadwayfan22
#2602017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/8/17 at 11:21am

At least, do Journey to the Past to have Christy shine. Anastasia really got screwed over this year. They should have waited until next season to be on Broadway to get more recognition.

ForB4
#2612017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/8/17 at 11:25am

Happy that Falsettos is performing but disappointed about no Anastasia.

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "At least, do Journey to the Past to have Christy shine. Anastasia really got screwed over this year. They should have waited until next season to be on Broadway to get more recognition.

"

Agreed! This was one of my fav shows this season and it at least should have also gotten nominated for Score, Orchestrations, and Lead Actress.

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#2622017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/8/17 at 11:28am

Based on the short description in the Times, I had assumed that Great Comet would do some of "Balaga" and, instead of Groban doing Pierre's short solo at the end of that number ("to happiness..."2017 TONY Awards Performances, doing a portion of "Dust & Ashes."

Also: why would Anastasia perform? It wasn't nominated for anything to show off in a performance. Bandstand was at least nominated for choreography.

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#2632017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/8/17 at 11:36am

Kad said: "Based on the short description in the Times, I had assumed that Great Comet would do some of "Balaga" and, instead of Groban doing Pierre's short solo at the end of that number ("to happiness..."2017 TONY Awards Performances, doing a portion of "Dust & Ashes."

Also: why would Anastasia perform? It wasn't nominated for anything to show off in a performance. Bandstand was at least nominated for choreography.

"

the same reason why finding neverland performed deep receiving no nominations 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

JudyDenmark Profile Photo
JudyDenmark
#2642017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/8/17 at 11:40am

Kad said: "Also: why would Anastasia perform? It wasn't nominated for anything to show off in a performance. Bandstand was at least nominated for choreography."

To show off the costumes, and potentially a moment with Mary Beth Peil. I agree that Once Upon a December would've been lovely! (Journey to the Past wouldn't make sense to me since she wasn't nominated and that's not exactly a show-off costume.)

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#2652017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/8/17 at 11:43am

Call_me_jorge said: "
the same reason why finding neverland performed deep receiving no nominations "

Because Harvey Weinstein is an influential and deep-pocketed producer?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."
Updated On: 6/8/17 at 11:43 AM

Babe_Williams Profile Photo
Babe_Williams
#2662017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/8/17 at 11:44am

disneybroadwayfan22 said: "What the heck?! No Anastasia?!

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Breaking-Who-Will-Perform-at-the-2017-Tony-Awards-List-Announced-20170608

"

Is it strange that Bandstand is performing and not Anastasia? 

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#2672017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/8/17 at 11:45am

Mary Beth Peil doing the prologue and then going into the full number of "Once Upon a December" would have been a truly lovely Tony moment. I agree that Anastasia could and maybe should have been nominated for more (I could have seen it getting in for Actress, Featured Actor, another Featured Actress, Score, Orchestrations, Lighting Design, Choreography...), but at least it did get nominated for something at all and would warrant a performance more than GodspellFinding Neverland (twice), and the Royal Caribbean production of Hairspray.

nealb1 Profile Photo
nealb1
#2682017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/8/17 at 11:53am

Too bad there's no "Sunset Blvd" performance, as well as "Anastasia."

Boq101
#2692017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/8/17 at 11:59am

To be fair, performing at the Tonys costs a lot of money for a show, and Anastasia already has strong word of mouth and a good advance even with the Tony mess. It probably makes sense not to bother with it. They could record another video like the one's they've already done and go viral within their demographic for much less money.  

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#2702017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/8/17 at 12:00pm

nealb1 said: "Too bad there's no "Sunset Blvd" performance"

I get why Sunset won't be there, but that doesn't make me any less wishful. sad

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

BroadwayRox3588 Profile Photo
BroadwayRox3588
#2712017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/8/17 at 12:01pm

VERY sad that Anastasia won't be performing 

CT2NYC Profile Photo
CT2NYC
#2722017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/8/17 at 12:04pm

I'm glad that BANDSTAND is performing. I really enjoyed the show, and I hope that a great performance on Sunday will generate a fair amount of ticket sales.

thirtythirtyninety Profile Photo
thirtythirtyninety
#2732017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/8/17 at 12:16pm

I wonder if they will have Rachel Bloom and Orlando Bloom  present together?

aimeric
#2742017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/8/17 at 12:42pm

Does anybody know what Cynthia Erivo and Leslie Odom Jr. are performing?  In Memoriam, maybe?

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#2752017 TONY Awards Performances
Posted: 6/8/17 at 1:26pm

CT2NYC said: "I'm glad that BANDSTAND is performing. I really enjoyed the show, and I hope that a great performance on Sunday will generate a fair amount of ticket sales."

I haven't seen Bandstand because the musical style/era doesn't appeal to me, but I have to ask - is there a particular number that Corey Cott does in the wife-beater that he wears in that often-circulated promo photograph?

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

Videos