pixeltracker

MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews- Page 11

MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews

somecheapfrenchthing
#250MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 9:55am

Would someone who attended already be able to tell me about the sight lines from the 500 section for this production? Right now I have tickets for row F on the aisle (501 and 502), but I've been given the option to switch to 100 or the lodge. Based on what someone said about the set, I'm wondering if it would be better to sit elsewhere. But if it doesn't make too much of a difference, I won't bother. Thanks in advance for any help!

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#251MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 11:26am

WhizzerMarvin said: "Absolutely! “You Did It” is now all about Eliza/Ambrose. Pay close attention to all the things she does while the rest of the cast sing that song. There’s a moment where she sits down and slowly undoes the tiara out of her hair. Her actions are slow and deliberate; when she has it out, Ambrose stares at it as if it were the oddest item in the world. There’s anger, but it’s directed at herself. Shame. Anxiety. Exhaustation. (All the bad emotions ha). It’s both glorious and painful to watch. Reminded me of Raul blowing the kazoo in Side By Side/What Would We Do Without You. This fun showstopper being undercut with a bolt of hurt so deep that you almost can’t clap after it. I’m getting misty-eyed even thinking about it now!

"

Oh my god, yes! I’ve been talking about this moment for the last two days. Also, the way she slides the necklace and bracelets onto the table instead of handing them to Higgins - the disdain she has for him, for herself, is so palpable. It’s such a full-bodied performance.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#252MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 11:52am

theatretenor2 said: "How do the production values compare to Hello, Dolly?"

Other than Higgins’ study, it’s not as elaborate, but more on par with the recent Fiddler revival, IMO. The study is gorgeous and its reveal reminded me of Marazcek’s from the recent She Loves Me. 

the.hard.part Profile Photo
the.hard.part
#253MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 12:23pm

somecheapfrenchthing said: "Would someone who attendedalready be able to tell me about the sight lines from the 500 section for this production? Right now I have tickets for row F on the aisle (501 and 502), but I've been given the option to switch to 100 or the lodge. Based on what someone said about the set, I'm wondering if it would be better to sit elsewhere. But if it doesn't make too much of a difference, I won't bother. Thanks in advance for any help!"

This was my view from F 508 - https://imgur.com/a/SL9nE

SomethingPeculiar Profile Photo
SomethingPeculiar
#254MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 12:57pm

One thing that hasn't been mentioned:

Does Higgins speak the whole show like Rex Harrison, or does he sing it a little more here?

Addison D. Profile Photo
Addison D.
#255MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 1:12pm

ColorTheHours048 said: "WhizzerMarvin said: "Absolutely! “You Did It” is now all about Eliza/Ambrose. Pay close attention to all the things she does while the rest of the cast sing that song. There’s a moment where she sits down and slowly undoes the tiara out of her hair. Her actions are slow and deliberate; when she has it out, Ambrose stares at it as if it were the oddest item in the world. There’s anger, but it’s directed at herself. Shame. Anxiety. Exhaustation. (All the bad emotions ha). It’s both glorious and painful to watch. Reminded me of Raul blowing the kazoo in Side By Side/What Would We Do Without You. This fun showstopper being undercut with a bolt of hurt so deep that you almost can’t clap after it. I’m getting misty-eyed even thinking about it now!

"

Oh my god, yes! I’ve been talking about this moment for the last two days. Also, the way she slides the necklace and bracelets onto the table instead of handing them to Higgins - the disdain she has for him, for herself, is so palpable. It’s such a full-bodied performance.
"

I can't resist piling on here.  Ambrose is extraordinary in this scene.  There is so much happening elsewhere on stage--the household staff has joined Pickering in celebrating Higgins--but my concentration was riveted throughout the scene on Eliza.  The best way to describe it is that in my memory, she is in color and the rest of the action is black and white.

You think, what do you want? You think, make a decision...

TFMH18 Profile Photo
TFMH18
#256MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 1:44pm

Does Ambrose have a shot at beating Lenk for the Tony?

Updated On: 3/17/18 at 01:44 PM

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#257MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 2:22pm

Due to these reports on this thread, I might say yes.

WayTooBroadway Profile Photo
WayTooBroadway
#258MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 3:30pm

Bart Sher has a gift for making these simple moments oh so grand.

April, come sooner!

"When the audience comes in, it changes the temperature of what you've written." -Stephen Sondheim

blm2323
#259MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/17/18 at 11:44pm

TFMH18 said: "Does Ambrose have a shot at beatingLenk for the Tony?"

Both are amazing but I’d give it to Ambrose. 

BeNice Profile Photo
BeNice
#260MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 12:04am

Saw the show tonight.

It is a wonderful production. Harry Hadden-Paton is truly magnificent. He seems like he has been living in the role forever and is extremely smart. He has my vote for Best Actor.

I found Lauren Ambrose to be just a tad underwhelming. She is beautiful and has some wonderful moments, and is by no means bad or incapable, but it is obvious (to me at least) that she is not a musical theatre animal by nature. Her voice is not quite special enough to sell those iconic songs and tropes like the "i wants" and buttons, etc. are a little undercooked.

I found her age to work with the Higgins because it made their relationship stronger, but it made the scenes with her father seem more like her brother 

Even with all that, it is a wonderful production and I hope to see it again. 

enjoyable2
#261MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 12:11am

what did you think of the ending? 

BeNice Profile Photo
BeNice
#262MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 12:34am

Updated On: 3/18/18 at 12:34 AM

BentleyB
#263MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 12:39am

Saw it tonight and thought it was the most disappointing part of the show. Frankly, I hated It. 

enjoyable2
#264MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 12:44am

ere To Toggle Spoiler Content

Click H

Updated On: 3/18/18 at 12:44 AM

enjoyable2
#265MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 12:53am

Click Here To Toggle Spoiler Content

I don't think I'd like it either.  In the movie, as I recall, she stood behind and to the side of HH when he said final line which did make her look subservient.  In this case, since they clearly want to highlight her maturity and strength, they  could simply put her in a different place on stage, in a position that shows her strength and equality with him.  And then do the regular ending.  It feels to me like it would suck all the life out of it just before what is always a glorious curtain call. How did audience react? 

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#266MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 1:38am

The idea of Henry and Eliza ending up in a relationship (romantic or not) makes me sick to my stomach. He's an abuser and even in the end the nicest thing he can say about her is that he's grown accustomed to her face. She's shouldn't have to work anything out with him. He's a misogynistic psyco that deserves to be alone. You can make Higgins as likeable as possible, but he's still horrible and she's deserves better.

I saw someone say that the new ending isn't a revision, but rather a restoration. It's an ending that would please Shaw.

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#267MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 1:42am

GeorgeandDot said: "The idea of Henry and Eliza ending up in a relationship (romantic or not) makes me sick to my stomach. He's an abuser and even in the end the nicest thing he can say about her is that he's grown accustomed to her face. She's shouldn't have to work anything out with him. He's a misogynistic psyco that deserves to be alone. You can make Higgins as likeable as possible, but he's still horrible and she's deserves better.

I saw someone say that the new ending isn't a revision, but rather a restoration. It's an ending that would please Shaw.
"

Exactly that, and this revival has to do something different than all the countless productions have done. I'm excited to see this ending staging live (if it makes it past opening night).

bk
#268MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 2:01am

GeorgeandDot said: "The idea of Henry and Eliza ending up in a relationship (romantic or not) makes me sick to my stomach. He's an abuser and even in the end the nicest thing he can say about her is that he's grown accustomed to her face. She's shouldn't have to work anything out with him. He's a misogynistic psyco that deserves to be alone. You can make Higgins as likeable as possible, but he's still horrible and she's deserves better.

"

My Fair Lady is an ADAPTATION of Shaw and its own beast.  There is such a simple way of staging the final scene exactly as it's written so that everyone would be happy and even perhaps cheer.  And it doesn't involve her walking away.  Why no one has seen how to do it is an enigma to me.

broadwayboy223
#269MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 2:03am

BeNice said: "Saw the show tonight.

It is a wonderful production. Harry Hadden-Paton is truly magnificent. Heseems like he has been living in the role forever and is extremely smart. He has my vote for Best Actor.

I found Lauren Ambrose to be just a tad underwhelming. She is beautiful and has some wonderful moments, and is by no means bad or incapable, but it is obvious (to me at least) that she is not a musical theatre animal by nature. Her voice is not quite special enough to sell those iconic songs and tropes like the "i wants" and buttons, etc. are a little undercooked.

I found her age to work with the Higgins because it made their relationship stronger, but it made the scenes with her father seem more like her brother

Even with all that, it is a wonderful production and I hope to see it again.
"

So her soprano wasn't that good? That makes me sad MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#270MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 2:24am

Saw it tonight , if you buy into the three plus hours of a revival set in a certain time and written in a certain time then you should buy into the ending as it was set and as it was written. If you use a modern sensiibity to view the ending then let's let loose that same eye on the rest of the show. You can't - it falls apart. Then take that same scalpel to Dolly and it's rediculous ending. I could have used a dose of sentimentality at the end of this very long evening. As for the production itself - it is gorgeous. The sets costumes and lighting are stunningly dramatic. Harry Haden-Paton is brilliant as Higgins. Could not get enough of him. Lauren Ambrose as Eliza was wonderful in so many ways and at so many times but unremarkable in many ways and at so many times. Her voice is the first place she was unremarkable for me, yes she hit every note but I found the quality of her voice unexciting. The amplification system didn't help - she comes in low and it felt as if they decided everyone gets the same level of amplification. I had no problem hearing the rest of the cast. Because Higgins singing role is not showy the Eliza should have an thrilling soprano belt if there is such a thing. Butz was fine but his big superfluous number in the second act comes at the wrong time interrupting the thru line and adding to what is now a pretty disjointed second act. He was very good but not extraordinary or unique enuf to hand him the Tony now. From Get Me To The Church until the new ending the production works against the script with too many involved set changes. This was a much better revival than the one I saw in the 70's more nuance but not as well sung.

Up In One

Ravenclaw
#271MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 3:16am

bk said: "My Fair Lady is an ADAPTATION of Shaw and its own beast. There is such a simple way of staging the final scene exactly as it's written so that everyone would be happy and even perhaps cheer. And it doesn't involve her walking away. Why no one has seen how to do it is an enigma to me."

Yes, but it is an adaptation with long chunks coming verbatim from the source material. But let's take your assertion as it is for a moment.

If you observe the stage directions exactly, you don't get an ending people are happy with. Because the stage directions paint a picture that Eliza forgives her abuser who not only cannot bring himself to say the words "I'm sorry," but instead lightheartedly speaks a line recalling his earlier verbal abuse. And Eliza is supposed to stand there "understanding" him. And this undermines all of the growth Eliza has made over the course of the last three hours. Following the stage directions to a T kind of makes the journey pointless if the final stasis mimics that of halfway through the first act.

There are many ways play the scene with all of the same words but the dynamic changed by not following the stage directions perfectly. Sher has chosen a more radical approach. But it should be noted that any ending in which Eliza returns as Higgins's equal contradicts the content of the stage directions, playing the scene in some way different from the author's intention.

And as I have said before, anyone who objects to a radical change in the ending of the show has to reconcile the fact that the show's authors also felt completely justified in radically changing the original ending. Lerner himself said he thought that Shaw was wrong about the fate of his own characters and saw fit to "correct" Shaw. In doing so, Lerner demonstrated a prioritization of audience fulfillment over honoring of authorial intent. We live in an age in which audiences (myself and--I am not exaggerating--literally every single person I have ever had a conversation about My Fair Lady with included) find female empowerment more fulfilling to watch than a recently empowered woman's subservient return to her abuser. According to Lerner's own principle, authorial intent be damned, give the people what they want!

Updated On: 3/18/18 at 03:16 AM

ScottyDoesn'tKnow2
#272MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 3:20am

I googled My Fair Lady ending and found so many posts from many years ago where almost everybody had an issue with Eliza returning to Higgins so it makes me think Sher understood modern sensibility when he decided to go with this ending. It’s also the end that works best with Shaw’s intent. This is not just an adaptation that is loosely based on Shaw. So much of of MFL is Shaw’s work and other than the added songs and changed stage directions at the end, it is basically Pygmalion and it makes no sense to separate Shaw from MFL unless you’re a simple Higgins/Eliza shipper. Although a few levels below, to me, it’s like being a Phantom/Christine shipper which is so sketchy in so many ways.

Updated On: 3/18/18 at 03:20 AM

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#273MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 3:32am

Ravenclaw said: "bk said: "My Fair Lady is an ADAPTATION of Shaw and its own beast. There is such a simple way of staging the final scene exactly as it's written so that everyone would be happy and even perhaps cheer. And it doesn't involve her walking away. Why no one has seen how to do it is an enigma to me."

Yes, but it is an adaptation with long chunks coming verbatim from the source material. But let's take your assertion as it is for a moment.

If you observe the stage directions exactly, you don't get an ending people are happy with. Because the stage directions paint a picturethatEliza forgives her abuser who not only cannot bring himself to say the words "I'm sorry," but instead lightheartedly speaks a line recalling his earlier verbal abuse. And Eliza is supposed to stand there "understanding" him. And this undermines all of the growth Eliza has made over the course of the last three hours. Following the stage directions to a T kind of makes the journey pointless if the final stasis mimics that of halfway through the first act.

There are many ways play the scene with all of the same words but the dynamic changed by not following the stage directions perfectly. Sher has chosen a more radical approach. But it should be noted that any ending in which Eliza returns as Higgins's equal contradicts the content of the stage directions, playing the scene in someway different from the author's intention.

And as I have said before, anyone who objects to a radical change in the ending of the show has to reconcile the fact that the show's authors also felt completely justified in radically changing the original ending. Lerner himself said he thought that Shaw was wrong about the fate of his own characters and saw fit to "correct" Shaw. In doing so, Lerner demonstrated a prioritization of audience fulfillment over honoring of authorial intent. We live in an age in which audiences (myself and--I am not exaggerating--literally every single personI have ever had a conversation aboutMy Fair Ladywith included) find female empowerment more fulfilling to watch than a recently empowered woman's subservient return to her abuser. According to Lerner's own principle, authorial intent be damned, give the people what they want!
"

I wouldn't argue about a modern audience being interested in female empowerment - then give us a play worthy of that ending. I'd rather have a discussion afterwards about how far we've come rather than sit thru a mosh mosh of stale musical theater tropes and one choice at the end. I totally gave into Dolly for the fun and that show and it's place in theater history and it has the same issues in spades. 

Up In One

Up In One Profile Photo
Up In One
#274MY FAIR LADY (2018) Previews
Posted: 3/18/18 at 3:32am

Duplicate post

Up In One
Updated On: 3/18/18 at 03:32 AM

Videos