pixeltracker

The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill- Page 12

The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill

BobRandomGuyMan Profile Photo
BobRandomGuyMan
#275The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/6/15 at 1:51am

While I saw this production and quite frankly thought it sucked, I also find it hilarious that Scott Schwartz is being roasted on this board because he's not a "real director." OK, sure. Tick Tick Boom wasn't a real show, nor was Golda's Balcony, or Bat Boy, or Jane Eyre, or any of the other dozens of things he's directed. 

8 time Oscar winner Alan Menken and theatre legend Stephen Schwartz couldn't possibly be to blame, right? They didn't actually sit in the rehearsals and, oh I don't know, collaborate on the show with the book writer, right? They couldn't have possibly been complicit in making these choices, right? Because writers of a certain caliber have no power over fake directors like Schwartz, yeah?

Wait. Maybe - just maybe - those guys thought it was good! Just like they probably thought the German version was good. Or is James Lapine a hack, too?

Point blank, this idea sucks. It was a cartoon musical with a cartoon score and comedy gargoyles. That is definitely never going to translate to a stage production that appeals to any adult without being a different show altogether. No kid is going to want to watch a  bleak liturgical drama, either. IMO, everyone would do well to license this version and call it a day.

Updated On: 4/6/15 at 01:51 AM

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#276The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/6/15 at 5:42am

^Wisdom, that.  

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#277The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/6/15 at 7:00am

"Michael Aren tweeted and then deleted the following on Friday: "And then sometimes despite incredibly hard work and dedication, you get nothing in return. Makes you wonder if it's worth it."

Good Lord. I get being disappointed that your show is closing, but jesus. Someone unplug his computer.

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...
Updated On: 4/6/15 at 07:00 AM

wickedgirl198
#278The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/6/15 at 8:05am

This There going to be a Cast Reacodring of this  with   this Cast? I hop so i can listine to Micheal Arden Singing "Out There" all day along.

Updated On: 4/6/15 at 08:05 AM

ryandl15 Profile Photo
ryandl15
#279The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/6/15 at 9:45am

While the show might have some flaws, I believe the production that I drove four hours to see (twice, I might add), is one that deserves to be on Broadway at some point in time. I was at the closing show last night, while Alan Menken was there, and he would make no comment on what would be next, I was truly saddened at the final curtain call that the production team didn't come on to the stage and broadcast that the show would be making a transfer. Whether it needs to go to Chicago for more re-working, I wish the best to all members of this production.

amoni Profile Photo
amoni
#280The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/6/15 at 9:46am

Yes, how dare an ACTOR post his frustration and disappointment. Doesn't he know there are tens of wanna be, never were jealous actors posting anonymously on theater boards that just don't want to here him bitching. Shame on him!

sklabam
#281The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/6/15 at 9:54am

The cost of the choir is the thing. It's not that they couldn't find the singers, it's that a choir of X choir members would make the show too expensive to run.

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#282The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/6/15 at 10:03am

"Yes, how dare an ACTOR post his frustration and disappointment. Doesn't he know there are tens of wanna be, never were jealous actors posting anonymously on theater boards that just don't want to here him bitching. Shame on him"

Arden has a history of doing this. His shtick is old. Voicing disappointment is fine, but Arden still hasn't figured out how to do it in a classy way. He sounds so whiny and self centered in his tweet. Luckily him and I came to the same conclusion and he deleted the tweet.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#283The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/6/15 at 10:11am

It's immature.  As a professional, shows don't always make it that final step.  The failures of shows (in out of towns or on bway) seldom has much to do with the effort (or lack of it) from the performers.

If the source material and design elements aren't there, it doesn't move on.

I would LOVE to see Arden on a NY stage.  I would have loved to see him in Pippin. Some day.

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#284The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/6/15 at 11:36am

https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Paper-Mills-HUNCHBACK-OF-NOTRE-DAME-Will-Not-Transfer-to-Broadway-Fans-Start-Petition-20150406

People are actually starting a petition for this show? Goodness.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#285The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/6/15 at 11:41am

Pathetic. Lots of shows that fans like don't transfer. 

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#286The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/6/15 at 11:47am

Ridiculous.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#287The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/6/15 at 11:52am

If this is what Arden considers "getting nothing," well, then, I know many people who could use a lot of nothing. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#288The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/6/15 at 11:57am

Wow! This is really disappointing. If I had known this I would have shelled out the time/money to catch it at Papermill or La Jolla. I was really looking forward to this show. What a shame

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#289The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/6/15 at 12:08pm

One would imagine Arden, who has been around for a long time, would know better than to measure his hard work based on whether a show transfers to Broadway or not. At least he got to play the role in a major production! Poor Lauren Ambrose never even got to play Fanny Brice before her show folded, so you know, it's all relative. I think his is such an immature response and a completely misguided way to approach his career. I also wonder if actors don't realize that casting people, marketing people, producers and even co-stars actually pay attention to someone's social media persona as part of their decision to become involved with a particular actor.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

brdway411
#290The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/6/15 at 12:08pm

I love most things Disney. Saw Newsies at Paper mill and on Broadway many times. Got tickets to Aladdin for first preview. But, Hunchback is one of my least favorite  movies. Had no desire to see the show. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#291The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/6/15 at 12:17pm

It's possible that something has been going on that we don't know about. Maybe it's not just the fact that she show won't be transferring. Maybe he's felt disrespected by the producers or creative team in other ways, and this was just the tipping point for him. People vent on twitter all the time, and rarely explain themselves fully. 

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#292The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/6/15 at 12:17pm

double post

Updated On: 4/6/15 at 12:17 PM

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#293The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/6/15 at 12:18pm

I'm dissapointed that the show won't be transferring, but this whole petition thing is just so f*cking stupid. Signatures aren't going to give them the necessary funding, time, space, or whatever else. Grow up. 

After Eight
#294The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/6/15 at 12:21pm

I'm not surprised it's not transferring to Broadway.

It's  clunky and drab, and not really family-friendly. The ending is particularly grim for children, and some were visibly upset at the performance I attended. I think that the downbeat nature of Finding Neverland will also work against its success with family audiences.

If only people would show more concern for younger theatregoers --- or any theatregoers, for that matter.

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#295The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/6/15 at 12:25pm

To After

You make Lord Brantley look like a pushover by comparison.Will this ever make it to Broadway? No idea. If it does, it does and if not that's life. Will NJ be its final destination? Time will tell.

Poster Emeritus

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#296The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/6/15 at 1:25pm

The petition is stupid (do fan petitions, outside of Betty White and SNL, EVER work?) and Arden is an idiot for tweeting what he did. 

I imagine with this particular show, the cost of the choir is what is holding this show back. I'm shocked they haven't come up with a better way to stage that that isn't cost prohibitive. 

JohnyBroadway
#297The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/6/15 at 1:34pm

How do fees for a choir in this situation work? are they considered equity? Are they a part of a separate union?

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#298The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/6/15 at 1:37pm

They would have to be employed under Equity contracts. 

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

Mr Roxy Profile Photo
Mr Roxy
#299The Hunchback of Notre Dame at Paper Mill
Posted: 4/6/15 at 1:43pm

The choir's union

Poster Emeritus

Videos