pixeltracker

The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...- Page 12

The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...

Actriz2
#275The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/30/15 at 6:50pm

It's worth noting that Kelli has much more exposure this season than ever before. Ads for The King and I are all over the internet with her face smack in the middle, and every single article about this year's Tony Awards manages to work in a mention about how this is her sixth nomination without a win.

Additionally, more people are seeing her in this role than any other previously. This is the first time that Kelli is playing to consistently sold-out houses on a weekly basis since The Pajama Game (South Pacific, though a massive hit, was never a consistent sell-out), and the Vivian Beaumont has a much higher capacity than the American Airlines.

Obviously these factors won't directly lead to a win and many voters will still vote for Kristin on merit, but Kelli is getting a lot of publicity and indirect campaigning this year for sure.

bjh2114 Profile Photo
bjh2114
#276The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/30/15 at 7:43pm

" His argument is that it's not enough of a departure from what we usually see from
However, she is not nominated for Most Versatile Performer. She is nominated for Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role. That is what we should be judging the ladies on, and it appears that in most people's opinion, Kristina is giving the better performance.
 "

But that's the point.  A lot of people don't feel like she's giving the Best Performance by an Actress in a Musical.  Many people feel as though she's giving the Best Performance by a Kristin Chenoweth in a Musical.  Also... her name is Kristin.  Not Kristina.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#277The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/30/15 at 9:29pm

I'm still hoping for a tie, for which there is ample precedent, but I feel the need to defend both of these talented women. I don't agree with Cone that

O’Hara is serious and glorious in a revivified masterwork, and Chenoweth is being her deliciously brassy self in a retro romp.

I think that he is belittling KC's talent. As if playing Lily in 20th Century or Cunegonde in Candide is no big deal because she was only being herself.

I would compare Chenoweth to Fanny Brice, a wonderful comedienne with a voice to separate her from all other comediennes. Like Chenoweth, she tried to establish herself as a dramatic actress and even had a nose job to try to escape her caricature as a funny ethnic Jew. Like Chenoweth, she did not succeed, but she went back to her comedy and song and was much loved. Streisand's performance in Funny Girl helped push Brice into legendary status.

I also don't get the accusations that KO is bland and just suited to playing R&H leads. It makes no sense because she has been in other roles besides R&H, which everyone here knows. Earthy in Pajama Game and a match for Jeanette MacDonald in Bridges, which despite all her efforts was saddled with too much baggage by the creative team to be a success.

Can Kelli do comedy? She had the thankless job of the Judy Holliday role in Bells Are Ringing, but did fine with it.  She got the usual fine reviews for her role in the rather pointless Nice Work

But to showcase her versatility I would pick her recent role in The Merry Widow at the Met, which she squeezed into her schedule just before King and I rehearsals began.  I don't know how many saw it, but I went to my local IMAX for the live broadcast. She was grand in the highlight 3rd Act scene with the Grisettes chorus girls. Entering tipsy with an empty bottle, joining the kick line with the girls half her age, and filling the huge Met with her unamplified voice.

Opera aficionados who hated the idea of Broadway taking over a translated version of this operetta and who were very harsh with Renee Fleming still found "the remarkable Kelli O'Hara, a queen of Broadway, in her Met debut." (Times) And "Kelli O'Hara was a wonderful surprise, making not just her house debut, but her operatic bow as well." (Classical Review)

Some critics of Kelli probably envy her apparent success in all aspects of her life. Hell, I envy her.

Tomorrow I see 20th Century for the third time, but the first since early previews. After all this praise, I hope I don't come out feeling let down.

BroadwayFan12
#278The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/30/15 at 11:47pm

I'm a longtime fan of Kristin, but I'm pulling for Kelli this year, for reasons that have already been stated by others in this thread. Not that I'll be disappointed if Kristin wins. The two roles are so different that it's almost impossible to compare them. Haven't seen the other three nominees.

RingOfKeys2 Profile Photo
RingOfKeys2
#279The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/31/15 at 3:38am

I actually think Beth's performance is just is emotionally impactful and "subdued/nuanced" as Kelli's. For what it's worth. 

AngusN
#280The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/31/15 at 5:15am

But that's the point. A lot of people don't feel like she's giving the Best Performance by an Actress in a Musical.

BJH, if you check the critics' reviews, you'll find that Kristin comes out more favourably than Kelli. Furthermore, criticising Kristin for playing Kristin, holds no more weight than criticising Kelli for lacking versatility in her chosen roles. Kristin is the lynchpin of On The Twentieth Century and carries the show from start to finish. The same can not be said for Kelli. Like many have said before, Kelli is not offering the audience anything fresh or original with Anna. 

Sally Durant Plummer Profile Photo
Sally Durant Plummer
#281The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/31/15 at 7:28am

"Kelli is not offering the audience anything fresh or original with Anna."

In your opinion.

"Sticks and stones, sister. Here, have a Valium." - Patti LuPone, a Memoir

_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#282The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/31/15 at 10:29am

Obviously in their opinion! Everybody is just stating their opinion. I don't go around and make everybody who's criticizing Kristin add that.

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#283The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/31/15 at 10:39am

It seems that this race has turned into a Kristin Vs. Kelli showdown. I wonder why Chita hasn't been gaining any traction. Perhaps the support just isn't there. 

Countdown til Jordan comes on raging about how much loves me! 3..2..1...

henrikegerman Profile Photo
henrikegerman
#284The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/31/15 at 11:23am

^perhaps because Chita has two best actress in a musical Tony's and neither K nor K does.

If Chita had never won a tony, (or only had a featured one from many years back), it would likely be a completely different kind of discussion.

Updated On: 5/31/15 at 11:23 AM

musikman Profile Photo
musikman
#285The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/31/15 at 1:26pm

I finally caught 20th century yesterday and I'm pretty dumbfounded as to why this is not a Chita - Kelli race to the finish line.  Hearing all the rave reviews and accolades, I was going in expecting to see the second coming, and what I saw was an incredibly talented performer - one who I happen to enjoy very much - doing what she does very well, but have seen her better in other pieces.   I certainly didn't feel the way many others here do about the performance.  I came away hoping that Andy Karl walks away with the TONY.

After seeing all the nominees, I'd have to go with Kelli, though I'd be equally as thrilled if it went to Chita.

-There's the muddle in the middle. There's the puddle where the poodle did the piddle."

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#286The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/31/15 at 1:29pm

C

H

I

T

A

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#287The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/31/15 at 1:33pm

After seeing all the nominees, I'd have to go with Kelli, though I'd be equally as thrilled if it went to Chita.

It doesn't seem like the producers are doing much for the Chita campaign. They are probably more focused on keeping the show alive, rather than getting Chita another Tony. The article about why Kelli should win didn't help Chita either. 

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#288The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/31/15 at 1:38pm

The Huffington Post had their own article about why Chita should win. So each of the three women have had a similar article. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/carole-mallory/the-visits-chita-rivera-h_b_7343554.html

Updated On: 5/31/15 at 01:38 PM

adamgreer Profile Photo
adamgreer
#289The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/31/15 at 1:42pm

One week away and there still appears to be no clear front runner. Fascinating. 

The DD won't even provide much of a clue tonight since they didn't nominate O'Hara (and we all know what happened the year Patina Miller was snubbed of a Drama Desk nomination). 

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#290The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 5/31/15 at 1:50pm

One week away and there still appears to be no clear front runner. Fascinating. 

It really has become a close race between Kristin and Kelli. I would still say Kristin is the frontrunner but Kelli has gained a lot of support. She could just take it. Going to be close.

OlBlueEyes Profile Photo
OlBlueEyes
#291The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/1/15 at 3:12am

One reason to root for Kelli is that, if she loses, for a year every interview with her will open with "How does you feel about being nominated six times without winning?"

I saw 20th Century on Sunday for the first time since the two early previews and I was not let down at all. It was a joy. Much improved, which I guess is why they have previews.

I thought the biggest improvement was in Oscar. I had seen Moye the understudy, with little rehearsal, and Gallagher just back from his illness. Neither seemed very forceful. Now Peter has got the bravado down, and holds up his half of being a co-star.

Big change in audience reaction. When I saw the previews, only about half the audience stood at curtain call until Kristin took her bow and just about everyone got up.

On Sunday 95 percent of the audience was on its feet when the curtain call started, and there was loud cheering along with the applause.

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#292The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/1/15 at 9:58am

So Cheno won the Drama Desk. I guess that's another feather in her hat.

The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...

Updated On: 6/1/15 at 09:58 AM

Jordan Catalano
#293The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/1/15 at 10:00am

Troll, nobody needs your input on anything. 

Soaring29 Profile Photo
Soaring29
#294The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/1/15 at 2:49pm

It's very hard for me to argue with Kristin winning, but I do think Kelli is close.  Right now though,  I'll predict Kristin.  Her precursors, her status as a host, and the role/performance are too much for me to  bet against her.  If the NY Times  Tony Voters Poll is in Kelli's camp, I might change my mind, but right now, its Kristin's to lose.  

Updated On: 6/1/15 at 02:49 PM

skies Profile Photo
skies
#295The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/1/15 at 2:51pm

I do not want Kelli to become the Susan Lucci of the Tonys...

"when I’m on stage I see the abyss and have to overcome it by telling myself it’s only a play." - Helen Mirren

Jordan Catalano
_IrisTInkerbell Profile Photo
_IrisTInkerbell
#297The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/2/15 at 6:22pm

While we wait for the NYT polls I think it's worth pointing out that a few of the expert predictors from Gold Derby have jumped ship in the last few days. Chita has lost all her "votes", it's now Kristin: 11, Kelli: 3 (I think it was 8:3:3 since all 14 predictions were in)

Bilbo3 Profile Photo
Bilbo3
#298The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/2/15 at 6:25pm

At this point, I can't see anyone but Kristin winning. She just has too much going for her. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#299The Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...
Posted: 6/2/15 at 6:32pm

Kristin for the WINThe Kristin/Kelli/Chita competition...

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

Videos