pixeltracker

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway- Page 12

ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway

Kad Profile Photo
Kad
#275ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 10/2/17 at 4:43pm

All I can think is... after the Caribbean has been devastated by two back-to-back catastrophic storms, that's the set you go with for a Broadway musical?

"...everyone finally shut up, and the audience could enjoy the beginning of the Anatevka Pogram in peace."

GeorgeandDot Profile Photo
GeorgeandDot
#276ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 10/2/17 at 4:55pm

Im going to reserve my judgement until I see it in person, under the lights.  I think it looks rather interesting and after the recent storms, there's a lot of relevance in the story and hopefully the production reaches out and has some sort of fundraiser or benefit to help those hurt by the storms.

perfectliar
#277ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 10/2/17 at 7:50pm

Valentina3 said "I do hate how diorama-esque this looks. I have come to expect higher quality set models since Korins and Rockwell got some visibility in past few seasons,and this just looks like a middle schooler made it with the help of his boozy aunt."

We must be out of things to complain about if we're now b*tching about the model of the set looking like a model of the set.

JSquared2
#278ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 10/2/17 at 7:57pm

GeorgeandDot said: "Im going to reserve my judgement until I see it in person, under the lights. I think it looks rather interesting and after the recent storms, there's a lot of relevance in the story and hopefully the production reaches out and has some sort of fundraiser or benefit to help those hurt by the storms."

The only charity that Ken Davenport supports is Ken Davenport. 

VintageSnarker
#279ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 10/3/17 at 2:47pm

RippedMan said: "Not sure what to make of that? I guess they're going for a "found" theater vibe of like these people move in and tell this story kind of thing? But then what is that thing sticking out into the audience? Hm."

"Gritty" feels like the wrong word so maybe "grounded"? I don't think it's so much "found" theater but I will think there will a framing device of sorts where you're conscious that these characters are putting on a story. That is, I think you're going to them, not that they moved in and brought all that sand. That's similar to the original production, right? That's why there are "storytellers."

From these photos, it seems like it will be very straightforward. I would expect the actors to stay in plainclothes the whole time. I don't expect them to change over the set for when she goes to live with Daniel. I'm guessing that the conceit is that the people who live in the community are telling this story. And given the way the set looks, I don't think they (the villagers) would have the budget for a kind of glossy dream sequence so I'm not expecting much in the way of costumes but maybe they'll have some colorful pieces. It's easy enough to explain someone owning one nice dress.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#280ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 10/3/17 at 3:04pm

perfectliar said : "We must be out of things to complain about if we're now b*tching about the model of the set looking like a model of the set."

Touche. Sorry I just want better things haha.

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

RippedMan Profile Photo
RippedMan
#281ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 10/3/17 at 3:14pm

Vintage, that sounds spot on to me. Just seems like they aren't trying to "transport" us somewhere since the back wall is visible. 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#282ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 10/25/17 at 5:57pm

Gypsy Rose Lee this Kilgore girl sounds fantastic!!!

https://www.broadwayworld.com/videoplay/BWW-TV-Hailey-Kilgore-Lea-Salonga-Michael-Arden-and-More-Talk-Broadways-ONCE-ON-THIS-ISLAND-Plus-Waiting-for-Life-Preview-20171025

TheaterMania version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU1sDzgL00I

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.
Updated On: 10/25/17 at 05:57 PM

Bwayfan292 Profile Photo
Bwayfan292
#283ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 10/25/17 at 6:11pm

Valentina3 said: "Gypsy Rose Lee this Kilgore girl sounds fantastic!!!

https://www.broadwayworld.com/videoplay/BWW-TV-Hailey-Kilgore-Lea-Salonga-Michael-Arden-and-More-Talk-Broadways-ONCE-ON-THIS-ISLAND-Plus-Waiting-for-Life-Preview-20171025

TheaterMania version:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU1sDzgL00I
"

After watching these all i can say is wow. She is pure talent! And the Mama will provide was also really good. The set model like many of you said was eh but hopefully it will look better in lights. But overall im impressed with Arden and the Cast

"Why was my post about my post being deleted, deleted, causing my account to be banned from posting" - The Lion Roars 2k18

GeorgeandDot
#284ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 10/25/17 at 6:41pm

Are those the orchestrations? Can we get a reed? A woodwind? Maybe a little brass? Maybe a string or two? I wasn't expecting for it to just be a piano, drums, and a trash can.

Wildcard
#285ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 10/25/17 at 6:59pm

The storm came and blew all the instruments away

GeorgeandDot
#286ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 10/25/17 at 7:16pm

^Apparently.
I'm very happy I paid $100 to hear Lea Salonga accompanied by a trash can and a shoe box.

A Director
#287ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 10/25/17 at 11:54pm

GeorgeandDot said: "Are those the orchestrations? Can we get a reed? A woodwind? Maybe a little brass? Maybe a string or two? I wasn't expecting for it to just be a piano, drums, and a trash can."

You are probably not familiar with the orchestrations for Once On This Island. Read this.

https://www.mtishows.com/once-on-this-island

GeorgeandDot
#288ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 10/25/17 at 11:58pm

A Director, I am. I saw the original production and I've listened to the album many times and I was looking forward to Starobin's new orchestrations, but I'm a little disappointed by how thin and empty they sound.

AwesomeDanny
#289ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 10/26/17 at 12:07am

It's a rehearsal video--the orchestra has not been added yet, just rehearsal pianist and percussion. Why would you think that is the final orchestration? 

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#290ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 10/26/17 at 12:27am

It's hardly uncommon for the first press release to accompany the full orchestra. I don't think GeorgeandDot's assumption was all that far-fetched myself. Glad to hear they'll be adding an actual orchestra (assuming AwesomeDanny's not making yet another assumption themselves).

GeorgeandDot
#291ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 10/26/17 at 12:40am

AwesomeDanny, do you have word that this isn't the final orchestration?

Dolly80
#292ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 10/26/17 at 1:32am

GeorgeandDot said: "Are those the orchestrations? Can we get a reed? A woodwind? Maybe a little brass? Maybe a string or two? I wasn't expecting for it to just be a piano, drums, and a trash can."

Wow, you don’t know much do you? They never have the full orchestra for these press events.

GeorgeandDot
#293ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 10/26/17 at 2:09am

^Wow nice personal attack. Sometimes when they do press events like this they are joined by the full orchestra/band. A recent example of this is The Band's Visit. Also, from what I've heard, these might be the actual orchestrations. When the production was announced they said that the score would be accompanied by "trash." I assumed that, that meant they would be adding some color of some sort to an orchestra that would be accompanying the show. Also, in the recent interview with Ahrens and Flaherty, they mention that the score has been stripped back and is being accompanied by "trashtruments." I'm just hoping that these aren't the full orchestrations, but I fear that they might be.

Updated On: 10/26/17 at 02:09 AM

hamiltonstradition
#294ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 10/26/17 at 9:23am

The orchestras are never there unless they are part of the set (aka. Waitress)

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#295ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 10/26/17 at 10:09am

I'm sure she was nervous, but there's a clip on the BroadWaysted Instagram story of Kilgore absolutely botching the "We'll Drive" part of "Waiting for Life". 

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

JSquared2
#296ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 10/26/17 at 12:15pm

IdinaBellFoster said: "I'm sure she was nervous, but there's a clip on the BroadWaysted Instagram story of Kilgore absolutely botching the "We'll Drive" part of "Waiting for Life"."

And your point is??

IdinaBellFoster Profile Photo
IdinaBellFoster
#297ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 10/26/17 at 12:19pm

That they held a "nation-wide search" for Ti Moune and I wasn't impressed with their result.

"Oh look at the time, three more intelligent plays just closed and THE ADDAMS FAMILY made another million dollars" -Jackie Hoffman, Broadway.com Audience Awards

HeyMrMusic Profile Photo
HeyMrMusic
#298ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 10/26/17 at 6:17pm

Okay, she wobbled on one of the hardest notes in one of the most relentless songs in musical theatre. We’ve seen Idina wobble on the same note multiple times in live performances.

Today was the sitzprobe, so no, this is not the full orchestration.

Let’s all calm down, ha!

Updated On: 10/26/17 at 06:17 PM

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#299ONCE ON THIS ISLAND Returning to Broadway
Posted: 2/6/18 at 9:30pm

Call_me_jorge said: "Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Nikki M. James will be theassistant director! I can't wait to see what Arden and James envision.https://www.ibdb.com/broadway-cast-staff/nikki-m-james-82575"

I was just going through the shows IDBD Page and I didn’t notice Nikki’s name. Was it announced anywhere that she had left the show? I wonder why. 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Videos