pixeltracker

Mike Pence Gets "Boo'd" at HAMILTON Tonight- Page 12

Mike Pence Gets "Boo'd" at HAMILTON Tonight

A Director
#275Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 2:43pm

Mr. Dixon spoke truth to power!  He has every right to do this!  It wasn't harassment!

Broadway Concierge and Jorge - You are still wet behind the ears.  You have every right to express your opinions.  Now, go back to worrying which diva is going to win a Tony!

After Eight -  It must warm your heart Trump agrees with you about Hamilton.  Why don't you invite Trump and Pence over to spend the day listening to your favorite cast recordings, lamenting about the state of theatre today.  Better yet, the three of you could read scenes from Mary, Mary!

Mediamaven2
#276Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 2:52pm

Petralicious said: "I wonder what the reaction would be if the Hamilton cast had lectured Obama The same way about his drone killings in the Middle East

First of all, if the cast read a one minute respectful statement -- an equally respectful statement i.e. expressing "concern' and "alarm" re what was going to happen in the future  re a particular policy, FINE.  That is exactly what the statement was: a respectful statement expressing concern and alarm about the FUTURE. And if they did that to Obama, a stmt generally about the future, I would be FINE with it.

Completely different from calling out some politician over some policy past.  What happened Friday night is not comparable to your make-believe hypothetical. Your make-believe hypothetical would be as inappropriate as it would be for the cast to have called out Pence on his actions against gays or abortion rights etc as Governor. That is not what they did. ! They were not criticizing a politician for a policy decision of the past. People should just stop listening to the babble on cable news and just listen to what the cast read. Jeeze.

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#277Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 2:53pm

Thanks for adding zero substance to the conversation, A Director! 

Mediamaven2
#278Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 2:53pm

A Director said: "Mr. Dixon spoke truth to power! "

Hear Hear. May we all continue to...

justherehanging
#279Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 2:57pm

Regarding Hamilton:  I am a supporter of the arts and believe the theater exposes individuals to various cultures and points of view.  The whole premise behind going to a show is not just for entertainment but to have an experience.  We should be happy that he visited the show and got to experience a different point of view.  

The ideal that I am considered deplorable because I voted for trump shouldn't impact the fact that I am a firm supporter of the arts and I believe people can change. Remember years ago Hillary did not support gay marriage  ( but her views changed over time) 

Remember  her campaign took money from countries that clearly don't support gay rights.   I don't recall folks anger over that when she held fundraisers on Broadway. 

So let's take a moment to respect the fact that he was open to listen to other ideals.  His attendance also exposes Broadway to the masses.  I personally wished he attended a lesser known shown, but he went to the theater. 

I voted for Trump and I also support Broadway.  I should not have to feel ashamed. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#280Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 3:07pm

You voted for Trump? You voted for a man who wants to strip away the rights of the majority of this board? I think I can speak for pretty much everyone here when I say that you can go f*ck yourself. 

Jordan Catalano Profile Photo
Jordan Catalano
#281Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 3:08pm

Oh, and I damn sure am not ashamed to say that. 

Generation Gap
#282Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 3:08pm

Broadway Concierge is Liza's Headband.  ¯\_(?)_/¯ 

BroadwayConcierge
#283Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 3:14pm

Generation Gap, you must not be following these boards all that well.

After Eight
#284Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 3:23pm

"Better yet, the three of you could read scenes from Mary, Mary!"

Mary, Mary exemplified class. That's a hell of a lot more than you can say for these full-of-themselves sermonizers and their ponderous, sophomoric bore of a show.

EmptyProtectiveCup
#285Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 3:27pm

Exactly justherehanging.  I voted for Trump, though I didn't support all of his or Pence's policies.  And I also support the arts, locally and beyond.

But I didn’t know there was a political test to enter the theater.  For all of you bitching (hyperbolically about Pence’s views, y’all seem to demand I attend a re-education camp and get in line with the Pack before I can go see a show.  Yay diversity!

No surprise that the classless mob in attendance did all that booing (surprised they didn’t go smash store windows afterwards), but what the Hamilton cast did was way out of line.  BS it was “respectful”, etc.  If you surround yourself with your mean-girl friends, march over to someone you have an issue with and say "I'd like to...um...like talk about how you suck and stuff...but with LOVE, ya know...", that's not really dialog.  That’s being a bully.

Singling someone out in a hostile crowd and lecturing them from the stage is an aggressive and mean act. It's ONLY a "I'm gonna dump my poo on you and you can't say nothing" act. It was juvenile, graceless and pointless.  I know, I know...your f-ing issues are sooo important that any need for common dignity or courtesy goes right out the window.  You're at WAR!!  Well, explain that to the Syrians...

What the Hamilton cast, the audience, and most of the posters here have explained to me very clearly is that I’m not welcome in the theater.  No surprise - it’s a lesson that’s become more and more clear of late – ugly bigotry is in style at the theater, it’s just bigotry from the Left these days. 

That’s fine, my support and business goes elsewhere.

Updated On: 11/20/16 at 03:27 PM

Mr. Nowack Profile Photo
Mr. Nowack
#286Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 3:35pm

What a mess on all fronts. This kind of situation DOES NOTHING to bring together two extremely opposing groups. It only pushes them farther away. Everyone should be ashamed and footing the blame.

Keeping BroadwayWorld Illustrated

BroadwayConcierge
#287Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 3:38pm

I couldn't agree with you more, Mr. Nowack. Given that, I'm stepping off of this thread because I didn't join BroadwayWorld to engage in partisan bickering. I hope some people can figure out how their priorities straight. 

MyFavoriteBrunette Profile Photo
MyFavoriteBrunette
#288Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 3:39pm

Mr. Nowack said: "What a mess on all fronts. This kind of situation DOES NOTHING to bring together two extremely opposing groups. It only pushes them farther away. Everyone should be ashamed and footing the blame.

My husband feels this way.  He said today to forget a world war, we're going to have our very own second American Civil War.

Updated On: 11/20/16 at 03:39 PM

¿Macavity?
#289Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 3:58pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "That's fair, guys. I still stand by my "everybody should be able to peacefully go to the theatre"

"

I agree. I honestly think that what that cast did was rude. I can't stand Pence, I think he's a real low-life, but if he payed for admission they shouldn't harass him. Rude. JMO.

Call_me_jorge Profile Photo
Call_me_jorge
#290Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 4:02pm

Does anybody know if he paid for admission? 

In our millions, in our billions, we are most powerful when we stand together. TW4C unwaveringly joins the worldwide masses, for we know our liberation is inseparably bound. Signed, Theater Workers for a Ceasefire https://theaterworkersforaceasefire.com/statement

Broadway Joe Profile Photo
Broadway Joe
#291Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 4:04pm

I didn't like Hamilton and I don't like Trump either. Like others said he's using this to just distract from other things going on. I thought Pence handled it well, especially his response. 

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#292Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 4:11pm

you people defending him are ridiculous.

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#293Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 4:26pm

I'm a gay male.

I'm very much against the notion of booing Mike Pence while he's trying to enjoy Hamilton. Theater, at its best, can be a transformative experience. By booing, you're shutting the person down. You're not giving him the chance to experience the show and to learn.

I love the curtain speech. Pence was on his way out to avoid the crowd and he stopped to listen. He later said he enjoyed the show, and that no apology was necessary.

One of the reasons we lost this election is that we don't listen to each other anymore. We don't engage. We've all been in our respective Limbaugh/Fox News Colbert/Daily Show bubbles. The simple act of attending the show was a statement on Pence's part. He was opening himself up. I can't imagine booing anyone for that.

The good news is, despite the boos, Pence liked the show and heard the statement. He is clearly much better than Trump's insane, delusional tweets. I expect he will be president one day in the next four years. He's shown he's better than Trump.

gypsy101 Profile Photo
gypsy101
#294Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 4:37pm

lovebwy said: "I'm very much against the notion of booing Mike Pence while he's trying to enjoy Hamilton."

you realize they weren't booing while the show was going on right

"Contentment, it seems, simply happens. It appears accompanied by no bravos and no tears."

belrowley
#295Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 4:48pm

Wow. The man is a hateful bigot with blood on his hands, but sure, civility in the theater is the hill you've chosen to die on.

Having immigrated from a country where artists are still being blacklisted and intimidated by the government for their political beliefs, I am more than happy to defend their right to speak up against those in power, no matter the time or the context. But it's clear that some people on this board value their arbitrary sense of etiquette over freedom of speech/expression.

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#296Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 4:59pm

gypsy101 said: "lovebwy said: "I'm very much against the notion of booing Mike Pence while he's trying to enjoy Hamilton."

you realize they weren't booing while the show was going on right

"

Very glad to hear that.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#297Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 5:05pm

You have to love the right wing Trump fans who 'hate political correctness', then as soon as someone decides to stand up and (very politely actually) express some concern they get 'offended' and think it's 'offensive'. 

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

lovebwy Profile Photo
lovebwy
#298Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 5:15pm

belrowley said: "Wow. The man is a hateful bigot with blood on his hands, but sure, civility in the theater is the hill you've chosen to die on.

Having immigrated from a country where artists are still being blacklisted and intimidated by the government for their political beliefs, I am more than happy to defend their right to speak up against those in power, no matter the time or the context. But it's clear that some people on this board value their arbitrary sense of etiquette over freedom of speech/expression.

"

It isn't really etiquette that I'm arguing for. It's that Pence opened himself up to experiencing this show. That is a good thing. That is the kind of thing should be encouraged. One of the reasons we lost this election is that we shut each other out. That said, again, I loved the speech, and love that Pence stopped to hear it.

It's very likely that Pence never knew a gay person while he was growing up. Let him experience what we have to offer. Let him know his misconceptions are wrong. That we aren't what he thought we were. I'm understanding now he wasn't booed during the actual show, so I have less of a problem with that.

His classy comments about the show demonstrate that he, at the very least, values freedom of expression more that Trump, who just this morning demanded equal time with Saturday Night Live, does.

Hellob Profile Photo
Hellob
#299Last I Heard...
Posted: 11/20/16 at 5:18pm

Do you care when ARod was booed in public or other athletes who are playing a GAME that has no real effect on your life but feel it's impolite to boo people who have real impact on my world? That's pretty backwards. 

Videos