pixeltracker

Unpopular Opinions You Hold- Page 12

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

bwaylvsong
#275re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/11/09 at 12:10am

I love Wait, too!
I enjoyed the ST film as a film, but not as a musical. The singing sucked.
I think ITH would be better without the rapping.
I'd MUCH rather see Shrek and 9 to 5 than Billy and N2N.
I love everything about POTO and Mendes' Gypsy.

BobbyBubby Profile Photo
BobbyBubby
#276re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/11/09 at 12:18am

Oh yeah, and Stephanie J. Block sucks.

Taryn Profile Photo
Taryn
#277re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/11/09 at 1:37am

I know why it's wonderful on an intellectual level, but, for the most part, SITPWG leaves me emotionally cold.

onedaymore Profile Photo
onedaymore
#278re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/11/09 at 1:55am

I think almost everything except 13 written by JRB is fantastic.

Spring Awakening and In The Heights suck MAJOR testes.

Patti Lupone did not deserve her last Tony.

I liked the Pirate Queen

WickedRocks, as you can tell by the avatar, I agree that Bernadette was a fantastic Mama Rose. Personally (IMO), I think that when you watch Bernadette do "Rose's Turn", it's real acting. Patti just flies across the stage and makes an ass of herself. And yells at people for taking pictures.

Whoever says money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to shop. - Bo Derek

Maceman91
#279re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/11/09 at 2:18am

I think Sutton Foster should have played Clara in The Light in the Piazza at some point. It would have been a great role for her!!! She can be goofy and show off that wonderful voice!

I would choose the Sweeney Todd Revival over the original production any day. I also prefer the phantom pies.

Marissa Jaret Winokur deserved her Tony and although her voice is not the best, her acting is spot on!

I think the Ballad of Sweeney Todd could have EASILY been worked into the movie version and HBC's voice is paper thin, though I love her look.

I did not like Billy Elliot one bit.

The only thing I did not enjoy about the Little Shop of Horrors revival was the large and final Audrey 2 puppet. The mouth barely opened when it talked and it totally took away from his fierce appearance.

Last: Hunter Foster and Matthew Broderick are just, well, awful!

AndAllThatJazz22
#280re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/11/09 at 8:33am

1/2 The score of N2N is wonderful, the other have completely blows.

I love Rent to death, but I don't consider its score to be 'Rock Music'

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."
-Danmeg's 10 year old son.

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#281re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/11/09 at 8:19pm

I was gutted that Sydney Carton, a character I've idolized for half my life, was played by James Barbour. Now that he's recording the role, I'm gutted all over again.

Sorry, fans, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

bwaybabe2
#282re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/12/09 at 5:28am

It is only your opinion, MCfan2, and you are entitled to it. But, Barbour's performance as Sydney was beyond reproach (I dare to say it was probably his best, so far) and I am not the only one saying this. Even the critics who cut up the show, gave him high praise. If you say this for other reasons, then so be it, but I don't think you can say Barbour's interpretation was flawed, at all. And his voice rendition of those songs...I still get goosebumps remembering. You can say what you must, but talent cannot be repressed and ignored. Who else would have done a better job, you think?

Jordan Catalano...try 16, not 10, if you must bring back those tiresome and ignorant jokes. Never was there a case for a 10 year old, and you suggesting so, sounds to me like a personal attack to Mr Barbour's person and image.
I do hope the mods find time to go through these threads and adjust (if not ban) some posters around here. >{ Updated On: 7/12/09 at 05:28 AM

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#283re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/12/09 at 6:28am

^ Whoa...someone needs to lighten up.

This isn't a thread where anywhere needs to defend anything. Obviously MCfan2 realizes his opinion in not the majority -- THUS THE REASON it is posted here.

I'm sure YOU are getting more upset that Mr. Barbour would over any of these comments.

My more recent unpopular opinions:
--ITH was only "ok"
--With my 2nd viewing of Billy Elliot, I am not all that impressed
--I don't mind Alice Ripley's singing at all, & I think it fits the score beautifully. (I also have never heard here sing flat.)
--While I do not miss Jonathan Groff from the cast of Hair, there is one thing I think he portrayed in a better light than does Creel (whom I adore in the role, sans this one thing.)
--I still think Curtains was absolute CRAP and DHP did not deserve that Tony award.

--and my favorite unpopular opinion -- I think everyone is entitled to discuss their opinions, even when it is not in agreement with mine.
--

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

TulitaPepsi Profile Photo
TulitaPepsi
#284re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/12/09 at 7:33am

Larson's death was the best thing to happen to RENT.

"Hurry up and get into your conga clothes - we've got to do something to save this show!"

EverythingElse24
#285re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/12/09 at 9:22am

I loved The Little Mermaid!
I think Les Miz is one of the best shows.
This isn't so much an unpopular opinion as an unpopular show, but one of my favorite recordings is Frankenstein, starring Hunter Foster.
and lala09, I completely agree about "Solla Sollew," I love Seussical!

ColorTheHours048 Profile Photo
ColorTheHours048
#286re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/12/09 at 10:23am

I also loved THE LITTLE MERMAID. Saw it 6 times, in fact.

AndAllThatJazz22
#287re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/12/09 at 10:39am

I think Spring Awakening has one of the most intelligent scores I've ever heard, and I feel that the music can be deconstruced and highly examined just as much as any Sondheim score. (The lyrics are still terrible, though).

"There's nothing good on. The media hates Christmas. The media loves vampires, though. Maybe they will show a Twilight Christmas."

MCfan2 Profile Photo
MCfan2
#288re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/12/09 at 1:58pm

No, I wasn't talking about Barbour's interpretation of the role.

And thanks very much for the defense, dramamama611. I'm actually a her, but that's okay. re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold I appreciate your kind words. And you're absolutely right about my reason for choosing this thread to share that opinion.

Edna Turnblad Profile Photo
Edna Turnblad
#289re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/12/09 at 2:46pm

claudioislove, simply judging by the photos I've seen of Groff, Creel is SO much better looking as him. Not that I'm saying he's OMGHOT! as him, but I'm saying that the wig better suits Creel.
WickedRocks, Company does work FAR better than Sweeney Todd ever thought about. Sweeney, in my opinion, needs multiple sets and just needs to be bigger in general. Company can work with a table and some chairs, Sweeney, I don't think, can. If that revival of Company had toured, which I think it should, I would totally have seen it, or tried to at least.
So I guess I'm adding this to my list:
I HATE the most recent revival of Sweeney Todd, the one starring Patti Lupone.

DaNciNgFairy291
#290re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/12/09 at 3:26pm

I think Patti LuPone is an amazing performer, but I don't understand why people see her as "hot." She's so old-looking. It's really annoying when people on broadwaysecrets say things like "I wanna have hot sex with Patti." Ewww...

No matter how much I hate the crap that goes on at broadwaysecrets, I have to read it every week.

"High School Musical" is the worst thing in history. Enough said.

2009 SHOWS: Spring Awakening - 1/2 Hairspray - 1/2 Mary Poppins - 1/11 Deer Park High School's The Diary of Anne Frank - 1/17 BayWay's The Wedding Singer - 2/7 Pal Joey - 2/11 Deer Park High School's High School Musical (Cathy) - 3/12 - 3/14 Lauren Pritchard and Duncan Sheik Concert - 3/15 Bryce Larsen and Idina Menzel Concert - 3/28 New York City Student Shakespeare Festival (Witch - Macbeth) - 5/1 Shrek - 5/6 Next to Normal - 6/20 Gateway Playhouse's Miss Saigon - 7/19

FinalDestination Profile Photo
FinalDestination
#291re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/12/09 at 3:29pm

I really do not like Patti LuPone's voice.
I also am not a fan of In the Heights.
I also don't mind the Little Mermaid >.>

"That's a good point. Next time I pee on a Starbucks couch and throw straws and napkins at a barista, I'll just yell, "YOU DON'T KNOW ME OUTSIDE OF STARBUCKS! YOU DON'T KNOW ME AT ALL!" and that should do it. "-LizzieCurry

claudioislove Profile Photo
claudioislove
#292re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/12/09 at 6:30pm

"--While I do not miss Jonathan Groff from the cast of Hair, there is one thing I think he portrayed in a better light than does Creel (whom I adore in the role, sans this one thing.)"

So what's the one thing?

Because I look different you think I'm subversive.

siny
#293re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/12/09 at 8:04pm

I saw "Hair" today and was quite disappointed. The cast was excellent, even with Will Swenson out (Steel Burkhardt took his place and was very good). They are all very talented, energetic and likeable. But there was no plot. It just dragged and dragged from one dance sequence to another. I've heard so many good things about it and my expectations were quite high, but I walked out disappointed. My husband also thought it was a "waste of a good talent". We must be the only 2 people to actually dislike the show and I am feeling quite guilty about it :)

claudioislove Profile Photo
claudioislove
#294re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/12/09 at 8:11pm

My friends' parents didn't like the show either, so you're not completely alone.

Anyway, I love Hunter Foster. so much.
and I adore Les Miz.

Because I look different you think I'm subversive.

bwaybabe2
#295re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/13/09 at 3:18am

"^ Whoa...someone needs to lighten up."
Perhaps it is you who might want to lighten up...? My comment for MCfan2 was a DEBATE to her expression of "gutted", which, as a logical first impression, sounds like she was implying that his interpretation of the role would be atrocious, or at the least, a mismatched performance. I believe I was respectful enough to MCfan2, and even posed a question for her opinion. It was up to her to respond, and she did, making clear that she was not referring to his performance. End of story.
Why would MCfan2 need a defensor? I don't get it. I was not "attacking" her, just stating the obvious (without mentioning I forgot to add that Barbour received 3 nominations for this role).
Actually, I beg to differ about MCfan2's opinion being in the minority..."when" did it become popular to even name Barbour in any thread, let alone praise him? I have yet to read a thread about Tale or Barbour, where at least 2 or more posters don't say nasty or ironically bashing things about him. Or, that doesn't get deleted.
Let's not "assume" that these comments are passing lightly by Mr. Barbour, either. How could they, really? He's just in a position where it is hard for him to address these, where I can exercise my right to speak up, as an observer. If anybody needs a defensor, it's him.

"...I think everyone is entitled to discuss their opinions, even when it is not in agreement with mine."
Well, then, try not to get upset if I voice mine, especially when I was not even addressing you :{

I guess this is my unpopular opinion (according to Dramamama611): If I lighten up anymore, I'd float in air re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold

Updated On: 7/13/09 at 03:18 AM

AndAllThatJazz22
#296re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/13/09 at 8:58am

I enjoy going to non-equity tours, but then again...that's the only type of theatre that comes to my town.

Leia947
#297re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/13/09 at 9:17am

"This isn't a thread where anywhere needs to defend anything. Obviously MCfan2 realizes his opinion in not the majority -- THUS THE REASON it is posted here."

Well said, dramamama re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold

Another from me. Elaine Stritch? Kinda horrible. Screechy horrible. I hope she sounded better when she was younger.

"And I'm a grown up....I don't go on vacations....I go to Broadway." - dramamama611

"Even I think that's hot, and I'm a straight guy. If I ever become gay he is the reason." - Drunk Chita Rivera on Gavin Creel

"Leia947 is my theatre mamma, and I love her for it." - AndAllThatJazz22

AndAllThatJazz22
#298re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/13/09 at 11:11am

I think "The Battery's Down" SUCKS!

drivenxasxhell
#299re: Unpopular Opinions You Hold
Posted: 7/13/09 at 7:15pm

I hold so many unpopular opinions.

-I don't like Sutton Foster, at all.
-I think Adam Pascal and Anthony Rapp need to GTFO from RENT and although I am a RENThead, I refuse to see the final tour because frankly I've seen better Marks and Rogers.
-I don't like: Shrek, Mamma Mia!, Phantom of the Opera, Evita, Little Women, Aida, Billy Elliot, Rock of Ages OR Gyspy
-I like 13, Legally Blonde, Cats and RENT (I know Cliche and Tweenish of me...but don't worry I like a bunch of obscure stuff too)
-I think Patti LuPone needs to me slapped and told STFU
-Think Christian Borle NOT John Gallagher Jr. should of won the Supporting Actor in a Musical Award at the Tonys in 2007
-I think Disney can stop making musicals anytime now.
-I like The Battery's Down.

Videos