pixeltracker

SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE in Performances (The 2017 Revival)- Page 13

SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE in Performances (The 2017 Revival)

10086sunset
#300Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 4/13/17 at 12:19pm

Anyone know if they have been selling the signed Playbills lately?

The Pecan Sandies
#301Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 4/13/17 at 1:12pm

10086sunset said: "Anyone know if they have been selling the signed Playbills lately?"

I was at the show last night and they only had the posters and sketches for sale

10086sunset
#302Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 4/13/17 at 2:12pm

Thank you for the answer.

Capeguy Profile Photo
Capeguy
#303Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 4/13/17 at 3:16pm

I was also there last night. Just a note about the signed posters and artwork. These are to raise funds for charity -- "Broadway Cares."

Also -- the original is one of my favorite shows of all times. I loved Mandy and Bernadette but I was equally impressed with Jake and Annaleigh. They were really great! I understand the reasons that it's not eligible for Tony consideration but it really seems unfair for the performers. I'm sure there would have been a lot of nominations.

umbrellaman
#304Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 4/13/17 at 10:46pm

How do people think this compares with the Roundabout revival?  The limited run and other factors made making this one difficult, but in truth, we saw the last one from the third row and were blown away, it was one of those all-time experiences, and didn't have a strong urge to see it again.

Updated On: 4/13/17 at 10:46 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#305Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 4/13/17 at 10:59pm

This is a MUCH warmer and more organic production than the Roundabout/Menier revival. This production uses the original orchestrations which sound absolutely amazing live in the Hudson. This orchestra blows away the odd 5 piece band of the Roundabout revival, something even Sondheim publicly expressed his distaste in. I enjoyed David and Jenna, but I find Jake and Annaleigh more believable in these roles. 

Updated On: 4/13/17 at 10:59 PM

evic
#306Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 4/13/17 at 11:07pm

The other eligible musicals that will be nominated in categories should thank their lucky stars that this took themselves out of the Tonys.  it would likely have gotten at least 5 noms.

quizking101 Profile Photo
quizking101
#307Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 4/13/17 at 11:08pm

Jake, Annaleigh, Phillip, Erin, Claybourne, Ruthie all signed last night (4/12)

Check out my eBay page for sales on Playbills!! www.ebay.com/usr/missvirginiahamm

chernjam Profile Photo
chernjam
#308Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 4/14/17 at 12:39am

ljay889 said: "This is a MUCH warmer and more organic production than the Roundabout/Menier revival. This production uses the original orchestrations which sound absolutely amazing live in the Hudson. This orchestra blows away the odd 5 piece band of the Roundabout revival, something even Sondheim publicly expressed his distaste in. I enjoyed David and Jenna, but I find Jake and Annaleigh more believable in these roles. 

"

I only saw this current revival live, so m comparison is with you tube films, which I realize is unfair, but to me, Jake and Annaleigh are amazing and hard to beat.  There's a warmth and humanity in their portrayals that makes it more accessible than I found with any of the other clips (Manny and Bernadette seemed incredibly annoying to me, cold, distant - from each other and most definitely from the viewer)

I really hope they preserve this in film and audio recording

CindersGolightly Profile Photo
CindersGolightly
#309Sunday in the Park with George performances
Posted: 4/14/17 at 7:29am

I think this is a good sign for a cast recording. Perhaps I'm looking too much into it, but they usually reply to anybody who asks with this standard reply. Instead of saying "At this time, there are no plans for a cast recording," they replied "Stay tuned. Our fans will be the first to know if we are doing a cast recording." Also, and again, perhaps I'm looking far too much into it, but they answered the newest tweet in a quoted tweet (which shows up on your timeline) rather than just replying (which doesn't show up on your timeline) as they usually do with the old reply. Wishful thinking? Maybe. But I love a little hope.

They/them. "Get up the nerve to be all you deserve to be."

LibbyJ
#310Sunday in the Park with George - how early for Rush
Posted: 4/14/17 at 8:42am

thinking about rushing tomorrow. How early have they started recently and since it's a double header day how many. Is it still 5sh am or going earlier? I hope it's still 2 tix pp.

tia

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#311Sunday in the Park with George - how early for Rush
Posted: 4/14/17 at 10:41am

chernjam said: "...Jake and Annaleigh are amazing and hard to beat.  There's a warmth and humanity in their portrayals that makes it more accessible than I found with any of the other clips (Manny and Bernadette seemed incredibly annoying to me, cold, distant - from each other and most definitely from the viewer)"

I've only seen Patinkin and Peters in video clips as well, and I must agree with you. I found Mr. Patinkin very off-putting, and while I like Ms. Peters as a person, I find her singing voice a bit grating.

==> this board is a nest of vipers <==

"Michael Riedel...The Perez Hilton of the New York Theatre scene"
- Craig Hepworth, What's On Stage

SDV Profile Photo
SDV
#312Sunday in the Park with George - how early for Rush
Posted: 4/14/17 at 2:39pm

Has anyone sat in the last row of the mezz (aka dress circle)? Wondering about some seats marked "partial view."

Patty3
#313Sunday in the Park with George - how early for Rush
Posted: 4/14/17 at 3:57pm

SDV said: "Has anyone sat in the last row of the mezz (aka dress circle)? Wondering about some seats marked "partial view.""

I just bought a ticket in last row of Dress Circle for Sunday. It didn't say partial view anywhere. I could not resist the price - I've been looking for an affordable ticket for a while now.

StylishCynic
#314Sunday in the Park with George - how early for Rush
Posted: 4/14/17 at 5:29pm

SDV said: "Has anyone sat in the last row of the mezz (aka dress circle)? Wondering about some seats marked "partial view."

"

The only thing that will be partial view is the Chromolume. I hope this isn't a spoiler, but you won't get the full effect unless you can see the mail ceiling of the theatre. Otherwise, the dress circle has a FABULOUS view. The theatre is very intimate, and any seat in the mezzanine is great.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#315Sunday in the Park with George - how early for Rush
Posted: 4/16/17 at 11:08am

I watched the show yesterday and feel the experience is best described by what I imagine it is like to be on an acid trip. The show is incredibly unique and bizarre in the best possible way - it's easy to forget this when you listen to it on repeat or watch the OBC video over and over again but there is just no other show like this. The words that are spoken are not heard elsewhere. The themes that are explored are not often explored elsewhere. The music that is played is certainly not heard elsewhere. Watching this show is a bit like being off this planet. Did Sondheim write this show on LSD?

There is so much respect for the theatre taking place at the Hudson right now. From (and I know it sounds petty) the tasteful artwork of the show, to the reasonably sized orchestra to the esteemed cast, a myriad of cogs have all come together well in this almost-perfect production. Basically all of the supporting cast have breathed life in their characters that make it feel like watching the show for the first time, adding humour and making an impact in the little time they have on stage. Robert Sean Leonard and Erin Davie manage to create real people despite having by far the least interesting song in the show. Phillip Boykin’s deep voice and physical presence makes the Boatman actually seem threatening at times, which makes his second act transformation into camp the more hilarious and satisfying. Claybourne Elder manages to convey actual sexual chemistry with his scene partner (even if the direction here is a little heavy-handed), Ashley Park was hilarious and her voice really stood out from the ensemble at times – I actually would have loved to have seen her go on as Dot. I mean it’s just crazy scanning the names here – Ruthie Ann Miles? These people are probably beyond these roles but the respect they have for the show taking them pays off well for us, the audience.

No one shows more respect for the theatre than Jake Gyllenhaal in this show. I had only read some of the earlier comments at City Center so I wasn’t expecting what I saw on stage yesterday – a fully realised Tony-worthy performance with incredibly skilled/nuanced/deep acting and little compromises in vocal ability. The role has a lot of quiet moments and brooding, and I just was not expecting him to be able to create so many moments with this character from his facial expressions, eyes, crying etc. – nor did I expect him to be able to actually sing and act at the same time in a way rarely seen outside theatre professionals (see: Finishing the Hat). Nor did I think he would make the whole “Day Off” song work in a way I haven’t seen before, that was both hilariously comical but also really highlighted the eccentricity of the character (I must admit the audience did not seem to react as much during this song as I thought they should though).

Ashford was fine but this is very much Jake’s show. She does not have Bernadette’s personality, humour and unique vocals to steal the show from Jake. Maybe this is a good thing – it’s “Sunday in the Park with George” not “Sunday in the Park with Dot”. Similarly, there was nothing ‘wrong’ with Penny Fuller’s performance but I must admit I was thinking throughout that there would be so much subtext and nostalgia right now if Bernadette was playing that role.

In terms of the biggest ‘changes’, the new Chromolume arrangements are very much welcomed because the original ones are too much a product of their time now. And in keeping with the acid trip analogy sitting in the first few rows and being under these lights was a very bizarre experience indeed. I do wonder what they looked like from further back.

Also in keeping with the acid trip analogy, you are either on the train or you’re not. While I might have felt off this planet, seeing things I’d never seen before, hearing things I’d never heard before, thinking things I’d never thought before – seeing God - the person next to me was dozing off through most of the show (literally). Probably After Eight seeing the show for the 10th time because he ‘hates’ it so much. I also overheard a comment of someone saying they expected more given the reviews (among positive comments, too). As much as people like to criticise After Eight (and he is a hilarious troll that likes to stir the pot, don’t get me wrong), we have to acknowledge that there are probably a lot of Jake G fans who have or will get a rude shock when they see the show. It truly is bizarre and there is nothing like it. Still, it remains an incredibly rewarding experience being a Broadway theatre fan. We are so lucky.

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000

JBC3
#316Sunday in the Park with George - how early for Rush
Posted: 4/16/17 at 1:33pm

Bizarre is never a word I would associate with SITPWG.

And this ...
The themes that are explored are not often explored elsewhere.

These themes are explored everywhere.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#317Sunday in the Park with George - how early for Rush
Posted: 4/16/17 at 1:58pm

I've always found George's The Day Off with the dogs quite bizarre, but for the first time, Jake's interpretation completely won me over on that section. 

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#318Sunday in the Park with George - how early for Rush
Posted: 4/16/17 at 2:50pm

qolbinau said: "I watched the show yesterday and feel the experience is best described by what I imagine it is like to be on an acid trip."

Serious question - have you ever done acid?

Auggie27 Profile Photo
Auggie27
#319Sunday in the Park with George - how early for Rush
Posted: 4/16/17 at 8:02pm

I was there today, and agree with the consensus and most recent posts. I'd add: Ashford's Marie -- that perfect southern accent, so perfect the audience is genuinely startled for a moment, realizing it's our Dot -- is the best one I've seen. Nothing twee or precious, her eyes steadfastly refuse to twinkle with old-lady wisdom. Her "Children and Art," one of Sondheim's jewels (and fairly definitive with its first interpreter, Peters) is just heartbreaking. She and Gyllenhaal earn every kudo. A week before closing this production is simply breathtaking.

"I'm a comedian, but in my spare time, things bother me." Garry Shandling
Updated On: 4/16/17 at 08:02 PM

EponineThenardier Profile Photo
EponineThenardier
#320Sunday in the Park with George - how early for Rush
Posted: 4/20/17 at 12:09am

Sorry to re-post about this, but is there really no news of a cast album happening? =(

icecreambenjamin Profile Photo
icecreambenjamin
#321Sunday in the Park with George - how early for Rush
Posted: 4/20/17 at 12:52am

I wonder if Sondheim and members of the OBC will be in attendance on the closing performance this weekend.  It would be truly magical.

dramamama611 Profile Photo
dramamama611
#322Sunday in the Park with George - how early for Rush
Posted: 4/20/17 at 9:10am

I must begin by stating SITPWG is my absolute favorite musical.  I will never forget the pool of tears i sat in when I first saw the original production. I was unable to stand and leave the theater right away. I remember people walking out past me,  shaking their heads in disbelief over the true cathartic experience I was having.

I liked the revival a few years back but felt it was a bit sterile.

This?  Was wonderful. I was so utterly enchanted the entire evening. I brought my 16 year old son with me as I really wanted to share this with him.  

I thinLjay's comments on this are pretty spot on for me, so no need repeating things.

BTW, all the merchandise is 1/2 off and they still seemed to have all sizes.

I still remain hopeful for a recording. Sigh. 

If we're not having fun, then why are we doing it? These are DISCUSSION boards, not mutual admiration boards. Discussion only occurs when we are willing to hear what others are thinking, regardless of whether it is alignment to our own thoughts.

Valentina3 Profile Photo
Valentina3
#323Sunday in the Park with George - how early for Rush
Posted: 4/20/17 at 10:34am

So... no video recording, new cast album, or extension huh? :'(

Caption: Every so often there was a rare moment of perfect balance when I soared above him.

Lot666 Profile Photo
Lot666
#324Sunday in the Park with George - how early for Rush
Posted: 4/20/17 at 12:29pm

Valentina3 said: "So... no video recording, new cast album, or extension huh? :'("

I was so hoping for just one more week.

Videos