TheGingerBreadMan
#325Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/3/13 at 8:42pm

ONCE sucked.

bwayphreak234 Profile Photo
bwayphreak234
#326Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/3/13 at 8:53pm

I was underwhelmed by the Les Miserables movie. VERY underwhelmed.

"There’s nothing quite like the power and the passion of Broadway music. "

JBroadway Profile Photo
JBroadway
#327Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/3/13 at 9:08pm

"West Side Story's book sucks."

THANK YOU oh my god, finally someone else agrees with me. Love the score but the book does absolutely nothing for me.

CJ N2N Profile Photo
CJ N2N
#328Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/3/13 at 9:17pm

"THANK YOU oh my god, finally someone else agrees with me. Love the score but the book does absolutely nothing for me."

Exactly! The score is probably one of my absolute favorites but the book is just... I honestly want to slap Maria when she decides to blurt out "my hands are cold!" in the middle of their meeting scene. I mean, really?

Emma White Profile Photo
Emma White
#329Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/3/13 at 9:24pm

"I honestly want to slap Maria when she decides to blurt out "my hands are cold!" in the middle of their meeting scene. I mean, really?"

That scene is the funniest part of that movie.

"Nice is different than good."

#330Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/3/13 at 9:35pm

Anne Egerman is one of Sondheim's greatest female roles

Emma White Profile Photo
Emma White
#331Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/3/13 at 9:45pm

^Except for when Ramona Mallory plays her. (Also, are you aware there is a "D" in Armfeldt?)

ETA: Bootleggers deserve all the applause in the world. For some of us, an 8 hour drive/11 hour train ride/9 hour bus ride to NYC to catch one show (which is all we can afford) is not an option.

"Nice is different than good."
Updated On: 3/3/13 at 09:45 PM

IronMan Profile Photo
IronMan
#332Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/4/13 at 12:23am

-AMERICAN IDIOT was the best musical of this century (so far).
-I cannot stand Jerry Herman or anything he's written (the scores are so lame he has to borrow from himself, and 'his' good lyrics all came verbatim from their source material).
-The original London cast recording of A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC is the only one worth hearing.
-ANNIE is a very good musical that I cannot stand hearing/watching.
-Meryl Streep is vastly overrated and I hate watching her 'act'.
-Jerry Zaks hasn't done anything worth seeing in 20 years, if ever.
-SOUTH PACIFIC is an intolerable show with one amazing song ('Carefully Taught').
-Lippa's THE WILD PARTY was infinitely superior to LaChiusa's.
-Wildhorn and Webber wouldn't be Broadway laughingstocks if they knew how to hire lyricists and bookwriters.

EDIT: A few more things that stick in my craw:
-Sutton and Hunter Foster are incredibly annoying (nice folks, but can't stand watching them).
-RENT was one of the most irritating nights I've ever had in the theater. Get a job, you losers!
-Jerry Mitchell's choreography all seems to be lifted from 80s Jazzercize videos.
-I find it hard to like anything Sondheim has written from PASSION on.
-I agree that the book for WEST SIDE STORY is mostly awful, but I was mad that the revival cut the Jet Girl's line, 'Ooh-Ooblie-Ooh'.
-I'd rather listen to LES MIZ than watch it on stage (and the movie was blah).

Thanks for the chance to vent- I'm kinda new to the board and have been enjoying reading other's gripes here.

"What- and quit show business?" - the guy shoveling elephant shit at the circus.
Updated On: 3/4/13 at 12:23 AM

suestorm Profile Photo
suestorm
#333Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/4/13 at 10:02am

patti, bette and barry should retire gracefully, not stick around too long and ruin their legacys

FINDINGNAMO, SNAFU, THEATERDIVE, JORDANCATALONO, LIZASHEADBAND, PALJOEY: You all claim to "IGNORE ME" I wish you would and stop constantly commenting on my posts. Thanks ...................................................................................................................................... The MOST POPULAR and DANGEROUS Poster on BWW! Banned by the PTA, PTC and the MEANGIRLS of BWW..................................................................................................................... ...Ukraine Girls really knock me out, they leave the west behind..........................

Wynbish Profile Photo
Wynbish
#334Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/4/13 at 10:14am

I don't like how, in my perception of how it is now, beautiful soprano voices are second-rate behind high belting voices. It's one of the only things I dislike about Seth Rudetsky.

I also don't like how people are dreamcast in soprano roles just because they have sung before (even if it was alto or mezzo songs they were singing).

I abhor Wicked, but I thank it for somewhat bringing Megan Hilty into the spotlight like it did.

groucho797 Profile Photo
groucho797
#335Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/4/13 at 10:54am

This one remains unpopular to this day, so it fits here perfectly: I saw Women on the Verge three times during its brief run and I play the cast recording repeatedly. What can I say? I got what they were doing. The frenetic style was too much for some folks, but I thorougly enjoyed both the show and the star power.

Updated On: 3/4/13 at 10:54 AM

Vellekoop Profile Photo
Vellekoop
#336Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/4/13 at 11:15am

- I hated the Les Mis movie
- Except Aaron Tveit
- I think Stephen Sondheim is pretentious
- I hate RENT

Oh, and Hugh Jackman is the bane of my existence... Updated On: 3/5/13 at 11:15 AM

Thparkaly
#337Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/4/13 at 2:56pm

Updated On: 11/8/17 at 02:56 PM

Wilmingtom
#338Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/4/13 at 3:41pm

I'd love to see a revival of "Allegro."

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#339Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/4/13 at 4:04pm

Ooh! Me too! Did anyone here catch the Signature production 5+ years back? I know it was revised, I wonder how it worked.

Rockyfan2000 Profile Photo
Rockyfan2000
#340Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/4/13 at 4:24pm

Idina Menzel RUINED "Chess in Concert" at the Royal Albert Hall and is over- rated.

"It's not where you start, it's where you finish!"

EricMontreal22 Profile Photo
EricMontreal22
#341Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/4/13 at 4:35pm

Her performance in the Chess concert is far, far, far from unpopular.

Rockyfan2000 Profile Photo
Rockyfan2000
#342Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/4/13 at 4:59pm

That's my opinion. She is way over-rated.

"It's not where you start, it's where you finish!"

Wilmingtom
#343Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/4/13 at 5:35pm

Eric, I did see it at Signature and thought it a mixed bag. DiPietro made some fairly arbitrary changes (Emily is now Sally for no discernible reason) and some that I thought hurt. Jennie is no longer the self-centered, domineering force that drives Joe to the big city (now NYC instead of Chicago, again for no discernible reason) - he has his own ambitions. This leaves Jennie without a lot to play. He opened Act II with "Allegro," which I didn't think worked because 1. Joe had just arrived in the big city and was yet to discover its pace; and 2. He had to go back to the small town for "Money Isn't Everything" and then back to NYC. He cut "Ya-Ta-Ta," which was a good call (Tom Briggs did the same thing with his production at St. Bart's in NYC in the mid-80s.) In addition to Mom and Grandma both dying, so does Dad. Argh. So you loose that great moment at the end, during "Come Home," when father and son are reunited heralding a new beginning for both. He also moved "To Have and to Hold" from the Act I wedding sequence to near the end of Act II for reasons unknown. I much preferred the Briggs production, which I remember being heartbreaking. He similarly streamlined the cast to about the same number (maybe 15) but retained the all-important Greek chorus device which DePietro did away with. I also think Briggs moved "The Gentleman Is a Dope" to follow "Allegro," which made sense because her frustration with Joe had been dramatized for us before her big number. In short, there's a reason no one is doing the DiPietro adaptation. BTW, I'm a big fan of DiPietro, just not this time around.

kieranbec Profile Photo
kieranbec
#344Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/6/13 at 1:04am

Although I realize that they are pretty bad, I really enjoy listening to the Wonderland OBC and the Dracula Concept Recording.

I think that Spring Awakening is extremely overrated.

I absolutely adore Bernadette as both Rose and Sally.

Marin Mazzie irritates me.

While I respect her talent, I think that Lea Salonga is overrated.

And here's the winner: I don't hate Amanda Seyfried's vibrato. It's not great, but it's not terrible.

AwesomeDanny
#345Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/6/13 at 2:03am

I didn't hate Russel Croew in Les Miz. He wasn't the best Javert I've seen, but I did like his acting--he was very intimidating in the role. I also like the lowered keys--making Javert a bass added to the dark intimidating quality.

I didn't really care for last season's Broadway revival of Follies, but then again, I was spoiled by the beautiful Chicago Shakespeare production.

I think A Class Act is a terribly underrated show that deserved the Tony for best musical over The Producers.

Stephanie J. Block's singing in Drood is fairly disappointing to me. After listening to Betty Buckley's singing of the original so many times, I will not accept any head voice for that role.

Had Christina DeCicco been eligible for the Tony, she would have deserved it last year. She not only sang the score wonderfully, but she was one of the best-acted Evas I have ever seen, and I've seen a lot. Also, that revival was beautiful, and the only thing that didn't work was Ricky Martin, who gave an admirable effort.

Newsies deserved best musical last season. Once is extremely bland.

Death Takes a Holiday was absolutely thrilling, and it deserved all of those Drama Desk nominations.

The Fantasticks is a masterpiece in my top five favorite musicals.

I really enjoy Road Show.

PennybankBill Profile Photo
PennybankBill
#346Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/6/13 at 7:46am

" I think Stephen Sondheim is pretentious "

Really, the guy who has said at different times that SOUTH PARK: BIGGER, LONGER, AND UNCUT as well as TEAM AMERICA: WORLD POLICE were his favorite films, is pretentious?

Anyways, here's some opinions:
-I hate RENT
-I loathe AVENUE Q
-I loved BOUNCE (The whole production)
-Peter Sellars, Robert Wilson, and Anne Bogart are the best directors working today.
-I hated ROAD SHOW
-I think David Mamet still has one more good play in him
-Roger Allam is better than Philip Quast

Patronus Profile Photo
Patronus
#347Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/6/13 at 7:50am

Evidently the opinion that Cheno is obnoxious is unpopular. So that one!

TheGingerBreadMan Profile Photo
TheGingerBreadMan
#348Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/6/13 at 7:56am

PHANTOM deserves to run forever.

Dave19
#349Unpopular Opinions
Posted: 3/6/13 at 10:54am

Hadley Fraser and Ramin Karimloo are a parody on musical theatre.

Their performances of Valjean, Javert, Enjolras, Phantom and Raoul make me cringe at first, then laugh.

Videos