pixeltracker

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread- Page 148

Into the Woods Official Movie Thread

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3675Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/6/14 at 11:37pm

Oh, you gotta love IMDB...

I went to an advance screening knowing nothing about the broadway musical. I have to say that the songs in this are extremely awful. And this is coming from someone who knows musicals very well. I've enjoyed Little Shop, Phantom, Rent, Hairspray, Joseph, Tommy, Mamma Mia and Jersey Boys.
Not only does Into the Woods lack a showstopper but it lacks a single memorable song with any sort of hook. The lyrics have a sprawling structure, with sentences shoehorned into weak melodies. The movie does have some positives. It has a senses of cleverness in how it threads together 4 different fairy tales.

binau Profile Photo
binau
#3676Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/6/14 at 11:41pm

This reminds me of when the Sweeney Todd movie was released and people were complaining that Danny Elfman would have done a better job writing the music..

"You can't overrate Bernadette Peters. She is such a genius. There's a moment in "Too Many Mornings" and Bernadette doing 'I wore green the last time' - It's a voice that is just already given up - it is so sorrowful. Tragic. You can see from that moment the show is going to be headed into such dark territory and it hinges on this tiny throwaway moment of the voice." - Ben Brantley (2022) "Bernadette's whole, stunning performance [as Rose in Gypsy] galvanized the actors capable of letting loose with her. Bernadette's Rose did take its rightful place, but too late, and unseen by too many who should have seen it" Arthur Laurents (2009) "Sondheim's own favorite star performances? [Bernadette] Peters in ''Sunday in the Park,'' Lansbury in ''Sweeney Todd'' and ''obviously, Ethel was thrilling in 'Gypsy.'' Nytimes, 2000
Updated On: 12/6/14 at 11:41 PM

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3677Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/6/14 at 11:46pm

OMG, LOL. I remember that!!

Mrtrobz
#3678Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/7/14 at 1:31am

Sondheim definitely isn't for everyone, the themes aren't as melodic as your average musical but they certainly are more compelling lyrically.

jacobsnchz14 Profile Photo
jacobsnchz14
#3679Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/7/14 at 3:16am

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#3680Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/7/14 at 5:38am

This reminds me of when the Sweeney Todd movie was released and people were complaining that Danny Elfman would have done a better job writing the music..

One of my dearest and oldest friends made that exact comment when she saw Sweeney. To this day, I still think less of her. Ha.

Sondheim definitely isn't for everyone, the themes aren't as melodic as your average musical but they certainly are more compelling lyrically.

Still. In 2014? We're still doing this ****? I feel like people don't even know what "melodic" means. If you're going to tell me "Stay With Me", "No One Is Alone", "Children Will Listen", "Agony" etc. are not melodic, I'm going to Liz Lemon eyeroll you so bad.

best12bars Profile Photo
best12bars
#3681Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/7/14 at 8:32am

I'm kinda horrified to read people keep referring to these as "Disney songs."

"Listen to Anna Kendrick sing a Disney song as Cinderella!"

Stephen Sond-who ...?

"Jaws is the Citizen Kane of movies."
blocked: logan2, Diamonds3, Hamilton22

BroadwayBenny Profile Photo
BroadwayBenny
#3682Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/7/14 at 9:51am

That and the mix of people claiming to be Sondheim disciples who are complaining "HOW COULD THEY CHANGE THE LYRICS TO ON THE STEPS...????" etc.

Some people are just hopeless. If Jesus Christ were to arrive on Earth and say anything that altered something in the good book, the purist Christians would just end up turning on him ala George Lucas.

Fanaticism sure can turn us into creatures who are grossly out of touch with the big picture.

Showface
#3683Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/7/14 at 9:56am

BWW NEW ARTICLE:
https://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Brand-New-INTO-THE-WOODS-Title-Song-Clip-TV-Spot-20141207

It has a "new clip" from Into the Woods, but it really is just something a youtuber edited together. Really BWW? Is that what you publish now? LOL Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread

ShakinBaconGirl Profile Photo
ShakinBaconGirl
#3684Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/7/14 at 9:24pm

You know who would have been a great Baker's wife at some point in her career? Laura Linney. I'm watching Kinsey(2004) and she would just nail it.

beautywickedlover
#3685Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/8/14 at 1:46pm

Anna Kendrick and I have something in common, the cartoon 'Cinderella' used to terrify me too. I bet she also was afraid of the palace guards chasing after Cinderella at midnight and the stepsisters tearing a dress to shreds.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/anna-kendrick-on-into-the-woods-playing-cinderella-and-movie-musicals-1201373791/

Phyllis Rogers Stone
#3686Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/8/14 at 1:49pm

She said soundtrack. I think we have to boycott the movie now.

HorseTears Profile Photo
HorseTears
#3687Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/8/14 at 5:13pm

Ha. I love her answer to that question, though.

What’s your favorite musical?
“Parade.” I played the soundtrack for all my friends, and they were like, “This is weird.” I was like, “You’re weird.”

(Also? Did a robot conduct that interview?)

Updated On: 12/8/14 at 05:13 PM

HBP Profile Photo
HBP
#3688Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/8/14 at 6:24pm

Did Meryl Streep stay in character as the witch?

No, of course not.

Updated On: 12/8/14 at 06:24 PM

Showface
#3689Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/8/14 at 6:36pm

Contrary to what BWW posted incorrectly earlier, Anna Kendrick is instagraming on the Disney account today because the NYC film premiere for Into the Woods is tonight!

And, I've said it once, but I'll say it again.

BWW: The article you posted with a "new clip" from Into the Woods needs editing. The "new clip" is not released by Disney. It is something a YouTuber spliced together from footage released from trailers.

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#3690Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/8/14 at 6:56pm

GREAT NEWS...INTO THE WOODS got listed on the AFI TOP 10 list this year as one of the 10/11 best movies of the year!...whew i was getting worried...

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#3691Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/8/14 at 6:58pm

^ Awesome!!

Starship
#3692Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/8/14 at 7:39pm

The red carpet event for ITW is happening right now!

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#3693Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/8/14 at 10:56pm

When are critics allowed to publish their reviews?

Musical Master Profile Photo
Musical Master
#3694Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/8/14 at 11:45pm

^Either this week or the next. I hope some early reviews do come out soon.

ray-andallthatjazz86 Profile Photo
ray-andallthatjazz86
#3695Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/9/14 at 12:07am

The embargo is up December 12, I believe.

"Some people can thrive and bloom living life in a living room, that's perfect for some people of one hundred and five. But I at least gotta try, when I think of all the sights that I gotta see, all the places I gotta play, all the things that I gotta be at"

broadwaybabywannabe2 Profile Photo
broadwaybabywannabe2
#3696Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/9/14 at 9:14am

F.Y.I. according to BOX-OFFICE Business these are the latest twitter trends for INTO THE WOOD...it shows the ratio of good to bad tweets regarding INTO THE WOODS...as you can see after last night's premier the ratio improved 80 to 1...:)

RATIO
Dec 09, 2014 1685 80:1
Dec 08, 2014 9183 33:1
Dec 07, 2014 4012 22:1

Alan Henry Profile Photo
Alan Henry
#3697Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/9/14 at 11:14am

The embargo I signed is up on the 19th.

Jungle Red Profile Photo
Jungle Red
James2 Profile Photo
James2
#3699Official Into the Woods Movie Discussion Thread
Posted: 12/9/14 at 4:07pm

BWW's contest to get into Thursday night's screening is supposed to notify the winners today. Has anyone heard anything yet?

My avatar = A screencap from Avatar, arguably the greatest animated show of all

Maximum Thread Size of 5,000 Messages Reached
Please Start a New Thread!

Videos