HELLO, DOLLY! Previews

carnzee
#350HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 2:24pm

PThespian said: 

Mr. Rudin is refusing to let them make a preshow house announcement about the whole "can't return to your seat" policy so I am trying to help spread the word to both aid and assist my friends who work at the Shubert. 

In God's name,why? At any show I've seen with this policy, the ushers go up and down warning patrons over and over about this. It's not like it 'breaks the spell of the show ' or anything. 

SweetLips Profile Photo
SweetLips
#352HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 3:18pm

If someone yelled out 'I love you Bette' when I was in the house, and they were near me I would have to hit them VERY quietly.

This is a book show not an arena concert but some people just need to be noticed.

How does she cope with all this hysteria and still remain in character?

I would love[but can't]get to see Hello Dolly but it seems many are turning this wonderful event into a Hello Bette evening.

I could certainly be wrong as it is just my interpretation of [some] of what I am reading on here.

I am so jealous and revel in your reviews.

squeakers1957
#354HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 7:35pm

Can anyone comment on the view from the far right or left orchestra seats rows in rows K-L-M?  Specifically, I'm asking about seat numbers K25/26, L27/28, and M27/28.  Earlier in this thread, I read that some partial view seats had been newly released but I can't tell if these are those PV seats.  Telecharge does not indicate they are partial view.  Would that have to be disclosed before the tickets are purchased?   

Broadway Baby Boomer
#355HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 7:52pm

I feel the same. This is a play! It is NOT appropriate to interrupt the theatrical experience, not to mention the concentration of the actors, by screaming out such selfish accolades and attention getters. I experienced this when I saw Liza Minnelli in concert, back in the 1980's... It was amusing the first time (remembering, it was a concert, after all) but after the fourth time, ...ENOUGH ALREADY! I hope I enjoy a respectful and appreciative audience, for 'Dolly', next month.

ljay889 Profile Photo
ljay889
#356HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 8:13pm

Yup. The ushers were extremely strict  about any photos during the show and curtain call at the first preview. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing a phone around me light up to film or take photos.

At the nederlander, the ushers actively warn the audience that Patti will stop the show if she's sees a cell phone. 

BroadwayConcierge Profile Photo
BroadwayConcierge
#357HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 8:25pm

Looks like the mid-performance audience photos in question (and the posts that responded to them) were just deleted by mods.

Cat Guy Profile Photo
Cat Guy
#358HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 8:32pm

BroadwayConcierge said: "Looks like the mid-performance audience photos in question (and the posts that responded to them) were just deleted by mods.

Excellent!!

SmokeyLady Profile Photo
SmokeyLady
#359HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 8:38pm

Those pictures were not taken by Robbie and are available on instagram for everyone to see. The ushers are obviously doing a good job because most pictures that are out there are of the curtain call.   I also would be upset if someone near me started with the picture taking.  So distracting and annoying.  But thanks Robbie for reposting those.  I was glad I got to see them.  Excited to see the real thing up close.

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#360HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 9:22pm

ljay889 said: "Yup. The ushers were extremely strict  about any photos during the show and curtain call at the first preview. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing a phone around me light up to film or take photos.

At the nederlander, the ushers actively warn the audience that Patti will stop the show if she's sees a cell phone. 

SmokeyLady said:Those pictures were not taken by Robbie and are available on instagram for everyone to see. The ushers are obviously doing a good job because most pictures that are out there are of the curtain call.   I also would be upset if someone near me started with the picture taking.  So distracting and annoying.  But thanks Robbie for reposting those.  I was glad I got to see them.  Excited to see the real thing up close.

All, FYI I would never take photos during a performance or curtain call...those I posted were found on IG as stated by SmokeyLady!

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George
Updated On: 3/21/17 at 09:22 PM

Stage Door Sally Profile Photo
Stage Door Sally
#361HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 9:28pm

Does anyone know who I should contact at the Shubert to discuss seating for my mother? She will be using a rollator/walker and will be arriving in a wheelchair (in case there are lengthy waits along the way). I have eight orchestra tickets, only two are on the aisle. None are designated handicapped. I'd like to go over things with the house make sure everything will be ok. Thanks. 

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#362HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 10:01pm

Stage Door Sally said: "Does anyone know who I should contact at the Shubert to discuss seating for my mother? She will be using a rollator/walker and will be arriving in a wheelchair (in case there are lengthy waits along the way). I have eight orchestra tickets, only two are on the aisle. None are designated handicapped. I'd like to go over things with the house make sure everything will be ok. Thanks. 

Contact the Shubert Org. and they will direct you to the House Manager at the Shubert Theatre to make arrangements for your Mom in advance of your attending the show.

The Shubert Organization 234 West 44th StNew York, NY 10036 

212-944-3700

"Anything you do, let it it come from you--then it will be new." Sunday in the Park with George

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#363HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/21/17 at 11:57pm

They are very nice and accommodating.

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!

Anshel2 Profile Photo
Anshel2
#364HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 6:50am

Anyone know how the views are from the box seats?  

Stage Door Sally
#365HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 7:59am

Thanks for the Shubert info, I will call today.

wolfwriter
#366HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 1:37pm

I cringe at myself for being "that guy," but many here have insight that I don't. Looking for tickets with Donna Murphy and some days are barely sold. Does anyone think discounts for those days will come our way?

I'm shocked at how many seats are available for those days. It makes me wonder what happens when Ms. Midler ultimately departs the show.

Thanks for any insights/thoughts.

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#367HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 2:06pm

pnewelljr said: "brian1973 said: "This stupid question doesn't deserve an answer. 

pnewelljr said: "I have a side question. Can anyone tell me more about Bette Midler compared to Donna Murphy, just in general (as we obviously can't compare their performances at this point)? Why is Bette such a big deal?"

I'll just re-iterate, sorry to those for whom my question was offensive or upsetting; I won't argue that it could have been worded better. Also, thanks again to those people who gave really wonderful, heartfelt answers, you guys expressed things that I never would have taken away from just browsing a Wikipedia page.

I'm looking forward to finding out tonight for the first time why people feel so strongly for her (Bette).
"

Midler has been around for a long time, dating all the way back to the first production of FIDDLER ON THE ROOF. I enjoy her concerts (and you'll find most of them on YouTube), but let's be honest, people: like so many of us, she's getting up in years. This was a pretty safe show for her to do, as Dolly Levi isnt an especially demanding singing role. And Bette has always had a good sense of how to contour her act to reflect her age. She wears her silver threads with pride.

THIS IS NOT TO DISPARAGE HER PERFORMANCE. I'm looking forward to seeing it next month, with a ticket I bought the first day they were released. But it's acknowledging that, like everything else, even our icons wear down after a while. We dont like to think about the ravages of time, but they are kind of inevitable. This may be the last time she appears on Broadway, so let's enjoy it while we have the opportunity.

http://docandraider.com

Stage Door Sally
#368HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 2:49pm

The person I spoke with at the Shubert organization did not want to assist me. I asked for the House Manager, she said why. I explained I wanted to go over things because I was bringing my elderly mother to the show and wanted to go over wheelchair/rollator and other questions I had. She interrupted to ask how I bought my tickets. I said Telecharge and she told me to call Telecharge with any questions I had because I bought the tickets from them. So, I did not get the House Manager and did not get to ask my questions.

Updated On: 3/22/17 at 02:49 PM

SeanMartin Profile Photo
SeanMartin
#369HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 3:32pm

Stage Door Sally said: "The person I spoke with at the Shubert organization did not want to assist me. I asked for the House Manager, she said why. I explained I wanted to go over things because I was bringing my elderly mother to the show and wanted to go over wheelchair/rollator and other questions I had. She interrupted to ask how I bought my tickets. I said Telecharge and she told me to call Telecharge with any questions I had because I bought the tickets from them. So, I did not get the House Manager and did not get to ask my questions."

Actually, I dont know what the official name of the office is, but NYC has a government office dedicated to people with disabilities and making sure access isnt an issue. I suggest going straight to them and sharing this with them. They will not be amused.

http://docandraider.com

DAME Profile Photo
DAME
#370HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 3:51pm

@Sally  I am so sorry they weren't much help to you.  I have been taking my recently disabled mom to lots of theater in the last few months and everyone has been very accommodating.  Especially the Shubert owned theaters.  We usually get there early.  They let her stand inside the box-office lobby.  She rests on her walker.   They walk her in as soon as the doors are opened so she can take her time getting to the seats.   I am not sure about the Shubert theater.. but I think it has a same level handicapped only bathroom.  They do take the walker and usually bring it back to you at the end of the show.  And I usually wait till the theater clears out before walking her out.   I don't know what else they can do for you.  But they have been so nice to us that I can't imagine why they wouldn't be of much help on the phone.  Maybe try again later and get a different person?

HUSSY POWER! ------ HUSSY POWER!
Updated On: 3/22/17 at 03:51 PM

Robbie2 Profile Photo
Robbie2
#371HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/22/17 at 11:33pm

Stage Door Sally said: "The person I spoke with at the Shubert organization did not want to assist me. I asked for the House Manager, she said why. I explained I wanted to go over things because I was bringing my elderly mother to the show and wanted to go over wheelchair/rollator and other questions I had. She interrupted to ask how I bought my tickets. I said Telecharge and she told me to call Telecharge with any questions I had because I bought the tickets from them. So, I did not get the House Manager and did not get to ask my questions.

"Surprised to hear that Sally and the way they treated you over the phone...did you get the name of the person you spoke with?

Call them again an explain your situation that your attending Dolly with your Mom etc. @the Shubert on said date...

Updated On: 3/22/17 at 11:33 PM

Stage Door Sally
#372HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 7:51am

I will call again, I need to go over important things. Last week someone fainted they had to stop the show while asking if there was a doctor in the house. I truly want to avoid anything like this happening with my mother. But I couldn't get past the "Call Telecharge" indifferent gatekeeper.

JSquared2
#373HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 11:38am

Stage Door Sally said: "I will call again, I need to go over important things. Last week someone fainted they had to stop the show while asking if there was a doctor in the house. I truly want to avoid anything like this happening with my mother. But I couldn't get past the "Call Telecharge" indifferent gatekeeper."

Sally --- the receptionist at the Shubert Organization office is not in any position to help you (or any other ticketholder) with issues regarding seating, "special needs", refunds/exchanges, etc.  She is just that --- a receptionist at the theatre owner's office. You NEED TO CALL Telecharge.  Trust me --- not matter how "unique" you think your situation is and how badly you feel you "need to go over important things" --- the people at Telecharge have already dealt with the EXACT SAME ISSUES (and worse) --- probably within the same day! 

If you required wheelchair seating --- you should have raised that issue when you purchased your tickets. However, if they still have those locations available, they will move your mother and a companion into them.  If those wheelchair locations are already filled --- you may need to switch to another performance.  But CALL TELECHARGE, and if you feel your "situation" is so unique that no one in the history of Broadway has ever been through it, by all means ask for a supervisor.  But leave the receptionist at the Shubert office alone, for god's sake.  She's a lovely woman and has a difficult job.

theatregeek6 Profile Photo
theatregeek6
#374HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 11:58am

MichelleCraig said: "Whizzer, I teared up reading your post  Thank you. This was the first Broadway show I ever saw...with Pearl Bailey. My mother is deep into the long goodbye now, but when I play the Pearl Bailey cast album for her, she smiles. We saw it together; Pearl and Cab Calloway were outstanding. 

"

Mine as well.  It was sublime, even though I was 10 - and hooked me for a life watching theatre.  I am anxious to see this new production---cannot wait.

Stage Door Sally
#375HELLO, DOLLY! Previews
Posted: 3/23/17 at 12:32pm

JSquared2 I did not pressure the Shubert receptionist. I asked to speak to the House Manager, she declined to connect me and instead told me to tell her my concerns. I didn't get through them before being told to call Telecharge. Did you create your screen name today for the sole purpose to harass me? 

Updated On: 3/23/17 at 12:32 PM

Videos